Legal News Articles - Whistleblower
Blue and White-Collar California Employees Wrongfully Terminated, National Labor Relations Board Assists
April 3, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Santa Cruz, CA: In October 2015, two Spanish-speaking employees of Goodwill Central Coast were fired for reporting to their manager that another manager harassed them and threatened to kill one of them. Finally their case has been settled: a National Labor Relations Board judge ordered they be reinstated, with back pay. Also in federal court, Walmart is accused of wrongful termination and retaliation, both California labor law violations.Read [ Blue and White-Collar California Employees Wrongfully Terminated, National Labor Relations Board Assists ]
March 2, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Washington, DC: The filing of an SEC whistleblower lawsuit may become that much more focused following a recent decision by the US Supreme Court that puts the emphasis on the reporting of apparent corporate wrongdoing to the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), as required under guidelines entrenched in the Dodd-Frank Act.Read [ The Legal Landscape for Whistleblowers May Have Changed ]
February 2, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Washington, DC: It was a little over a year ago that the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) issued an official press release announcing that a Texas-based medical device company, Orthofix International (Orthofix), had agreed to pay $14 million to settle charges brought by the regulator with the help of two SEC fraud whistleblowers. Orthofix, which has faced a SEC whistleblower lawsuit in the past, also agreed to admit to wrongdoing.Read [ Medical Device Manufacturer Admits to Wrongdoing, Faces $14 Million Penalty ]
January 20, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Washington, DC The Department of Justice announced that Kmart Corporation has agreed to pay $32.3 million ($59 million including state law issues) to settle a lawsuit that claims in-store pharmacies overbilled Medicare Part D, Medicaid, and TRICARE. The healthcare fraud scheme, which a Kmart pharmacist stumbled upon only when he had his own prescription filled, allegedly affected drug reimbursements in 46 states. The pharmacist was awarded $9.3 million under the whistleblower qui-tam provisions of the False Claims Act (FCA).Read [ Kmart settles healthcare fraud lawsuit for $32.3 million ]
January 5, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
San Francisco, CA: A years-long healthcare fraud whistleblower lawsuit remains an apt example of just how long in the tooth litigation can extend. And while the current version of a health care fraud lawsuit does not resemble the characterization of the original litigation, attempts at various appeals could extend the litigation well beyond 2018.Read [ Plaintiff Wants Appeal of Years-Long Claims, Defendant Opines to ‘Get on with It’ ]
December 22, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
San Francisco, CA: An SEC whistleblower lawsuit against venerable banking giant Wells Fargo Co. is alleged to carry further allegations of SEC fraud according to legal analysis published by Law360 (12/11/17).Read [ Why the Bid to Dismiss SEC Whistleblower Lawsuit against Wells Fargo Failed ]
December 8, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Tampa, FL: It did not take long for Kathleen Siwicki to notice something was very wrong in the Florida cardiologist’s office where she was working. Siwicki, an experienced Certified Cardiovascular Technologist, immediately began to see the services the doctor was providing did not match the billing statements he was submitting for payment. In November 2014, after just six months working for Dr. Arthur Portnow she quit her job and shortly after filed an action under the False Claims Act.Read [ Healthcare Whistle Blower Awarded $351,000 ]
October 31, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Boston, MA: Not one, but two healthcare fraud lawsuits against the renowned Massachusetts General Hospital and its operator allege double-booking of surgeries that possibly put patients at risk. There are also allegations that patients are misled into assuming their procedures will be performed by experienced surgeons, when in fact residents and fellows often perform various aspects of a procedure while the primary surgeon is out of the room.Read [ Whistleblower Healthcare Fraud Lawsuit Alleges Surgical Double-Booking ]
October 21, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Washington, DC: An Ohio-based chemicals and roofing company accused of gouging the federal government following an investigation resulted in an SEC whistleblower lawsuit that defendant RPM International attempted to have dismissed. On September 29, however a federal judge in Washington declined to dismiss, and the whistleblower lawsuit will move forward.Read [ Ohio Firm Loses Petition to Have SEC Lawsuit Dismissed ]
October 4, 2017. By Anne Wallace.
Columbus, OH: The Department of Justice has announced that Olympia Therapy, Inc. (Olympia), an Ohio nursing home, and its management service provider, Provider Services, Inc. (Provider) have agreed to settle a healthcare fraud lawsuit brought by Vladimir Trakhter, a former Olympia employee. The case puts a uniquely human face on the damage done by Medicare fraud.Read [ Whistleblower Nets $2.9 Million in Healthcare Fraud Lawsuit ]
- Is Fired Executive’s Case an SEC Whistleblower Lawsuit? Supreme Court to Decide By Gordon Gibb (Sep-29-17)
- SEC Fraud Whistleblower Lawsuits Fly under the Radar By Anne Wallace (Sep-20-17)
- Whistleblower Alleges Healthcare Fraud in Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Sep-7-17)
- Qui Tam Whistleblower Lawsuit Goes After “Up Coding” By Anne Wallace (Aug-28-17)
- Tipsters Play Huge Role in Rooting Out Financial Fraud By Brenda Craig (Aug-2-17)
- ‘Back the Blue Bill’ Will Crush Civil Rights/Wrongful Death Lawsuits By Brenda Craig (Aug-1-17)
- Healthcare Fraudsters Caught in Giant DOJ Sweep By Brenda Craig (Jul-30-17)
- Labor Department Orders Wells Fargo to Reinstate Whistleblower and Pay $577,000 in Back Wages By Deb Hipp (Jul-27-17)
- $8M Settlement Reached in Omnicare False Claims Suit By Lucy Campbell (May-18-17)
- Qui Tam Whistleblower “Double-Dipping” By Jane Mundy (Apr-6-17)
- Doctor from Dallas Collects $11.4 million for Blowing the Whistle on Healthcare Fraud By Brenda Craig (Mar-3-17)
- Talcum Powder Ovarian Cancer Whistleblower By Jane Mundy (Feb-21-17)
- Qui Tam Whistleblowers and Healthcare Fraud: “It’s a Completely Criminal Enterprise” By Jane Mundy (Feb-19-17)
- Healthcare Whistleblowers Protect Patients' Rights By Heidi Turner (Jan-20-17)
- Cash for Whistleblowers in the Health Care Industry By Brenda Craig (Dec-15-16)
- Johnson & Johnson’s Tale of Two Profit Makers: Risperdal and Relieva By Jane Mundy (Sep-18-16)
- Arizona Jury Awards $27.6 Million To Company Founder in Retaliation Suit By LAS Staff Writer (Apr-25-16)
- Healthcare CEO Files Whistleblower Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Feb-5-16)
- Healthcare Fraud Cost Pharmaceutical Almost $150 Million in Settlements By Gordon Gibb (Jan-6-16)
- Healthcare Whistleblower Wins $4.5 Million By Heidi Turner (Dec-7-15)
- Tax Fraud Attorney: “We’re Talking About Cheating” By Heidi Turner (Nov-10-15)
- Healthcare Fraud Whistleblowers to Split $38 Million By Gordon Gibb (Nov-2-15)
- Healthcare Fraud Lawsuit Results in $115 Million By Heidi Turner (Oct-23-15)
- Auditor Recommends Reauthorizing Medicaid Fraud False Claims Act By Heidi Turner (Sep-17-15)
- First Healthcare Fraud Whistleblower Lawsuit under Obamacare Settles for $6.88 Million By Gordon Gibb (Aug-24-15)
- Whistleblower Gets Fair Chance to Present Case in DuPont Gas Leak Case By The National Trial Lawyers (Aug-20-15)
- Medicare Fraud Whistleblower Lawsuit Settled for $17 Million By Heidi Turner (Jul-1-15)
- Tennessee Hospital Settles Alleged Whistleblower Healthcare Fraud for $1.3 Million By Gordon Gibb (Jun-1-15)
- Florida Whistleblower Healthcare Fraud Lawsuit Settles for $7.5 Million By Gordon Gibb (May-17-15)
- Healthcare Fraud Whistleblowers Allege Medicaid and Medicare Out Millions By Gordon Gibb (Apr-12-15)
- Whistleblowers Integral to the Fight against Medical and Healthcare Fraud By Gordon Gibb (Mar-1-15)
- $1.1M Punitive Award Against Walgreens for Firing Medicare Fraud Whistleblower By The National Trial Lawyers (Dec-30-14)
- Whistleblower Verdict Against Globe University Stands, Says Minnesota Appeals Court By LAS Staff Writer (Dec-19-14)
- Before You Blow the Whistle—Read This By Brenda Craig (Jul-28-14)
- FBI Whistleblower Regrets Nothing By Brenda Craig (Jul-24-14)
- Whistleblower Case Settles for $2.7M By Lucy Campbell (Oct-2-13)
- Jury Returns $400,000 Verdict Against For-Profit School For Terminating Whistleblower By LAS Staff Writer (Aug-29-13)
- Settlement Reached that Doctors Over-treated and Over-billed By Jane Mundy (Jan-6-13)
- Government Whistleblower and Legal Team to Receive $20 Million By Gordon Gibb (Nov-27-12)
- Fired Ohio Worker Ordered Reinstated, Awarded Damages By Gordon Gibb (Sep-15-12)