LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Drugs/Medical Legal News Articles & Interviews
October 25, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Has J&J Lost Its Way? ]
Philadelphia, PA: One of thousands of Risperdal cases pending in the Philadelphia court system has resulted in a whopping $8 billion in damages awarded to a single plaintiff who claimed he developed breasts, a condition known as gynecomastia. Plaintiff Nicholas Murray’s lawyers told the jury following the verdict that, “Johnson and Johnson is a company which has lost its way.”
September 13, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Fort Saskatchewan, AB: How can a heavy metal accumulate in the brain but not be considered harmful? After undergoing seven MRI scans, all with injections of a gadolinium-based contrast agent (GBCA), Wanda Milley experienced the same gadolinium contrast dye side effects that many other patients have suffered, and have subsequently filed gadolinium lawsuits.Read [ Health Canada in Gadolinium Denial ]
September 12, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ What’s Next for Ethicon Hernia Mesh Lawsuits? ]
Atlanta, GA Judge Richard W. Story has now identified ten bellwether Ethicon Physiomesh lawsuits that will likely shape the multidistrict litigation pending in the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia. Trials in these hernia mesh lawsuits are now scheduled to begin in April 2020. But there will be plenty to watch even before opening statements begin.
August 13, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Gadolinium Dyeing Out? ]
Buffalo, NY: Many reports of adverse side events associated with gadolinium contrast dye, along with recent data showing that gadolinium deposits in the brain and other organs have spurred researchers to find imaging approaches that don’t need gadolinium-based contrast agents (GBCAs).
July 25, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Lawmakers Suspect Gilead Has Ulterior Motives for Donating HIV/AIDS drug Truvada ]
Washington, DC:The drug manufacturer Gilead announced in May that it was making an annual donation of 2.4 million bottles of Truvada that is prescribed as a prophylactic to prevent the spread of HIV, also known as PrEP. Some lawmakers, however, suspect that the donation comes with strings attached.
June 19, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ MRI with Gadolinium – Better to be Safe than Sorry? ]
Washington, DC: The FDA in December 2017 recommended that repeated use of MRIs with gadolinium contrast dye be minimized wherever possible, and when MRIs are taken closely together in particular. It’s like a Catch-22: an MRI can detect cancer but it can also pose certain risks -- is it better to be safe than sorry?
June 3, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Johnson & Johnson Resolves Hip Implant Lawsuits for $1 Billion Dollars ]
Dallas, TX: Johnson & Johnson has come up with $1 billion dollars to settle as many as 95 percent of the 6,000 lawsuits filed by patients who needed to have metal-on-metal Pinnacle hip implant devices removed due to severe pain. This amount includes a prior settlement for over $400 million.
May 22, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ The FDA Pulls (Most) Vaginal Mesh Products off the Market – Now What? ]
Philadelphia, PA: The FDA has finally ordered the last two medical device companies selling transvaginal mesh products to pull them from the market. The agency said it is “committed to patient safety” but hundreds of thousands of women –victims of surgical mesh--would disagree. And the lawsuits are still pouring in.
April 17, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ “I was a Gadolinium Guinea Pig,” says Woman Diagnosed with Kidney Problems ]
Boulder, CO: Nicole had over two dozen MRI’s with gadolinium contrast dye before she discovered the risks and side effects associated with this heavy metal – side effects the FDA has known of since at least 2007, when it slapped a black-box warning on all gadolinium-based contrast agents for MRI, detailing an increased risk of nephrogenic systemic fibrosis with kidney-disease patients.
Abdominal Mesh Victim Prescribed Oxycontin--Could the Pain have been Avoided if Medical Devices were Tested?
April 10, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Tallahassee, FL: Shirley had abdominal mesh implanted following the resection of colon cancer. That was in 2008 and she has been in debilitating pain ever since. And taking Oxycodone to numb the crippling abdominal pain not only resulted in an addiction to opioids; she had to give up her job as a federal prison officer. Wait, it gets worse: her surgeon said all the mesh cannot be removed because it has eroded into her bowel.Read [ Abdominal Mesh Victim Prescribed Oxycontin--Could the Pain have been Avoided if Medical Devices were Tested? ]
- Xarelto Settlement of $775 million Over Failure to Warn Claims By Jane Mundy (Apr-9-19)
- Multidistrict Surgical Mesh Lawsuit Awards and Settlements Approach $11 Billion By Anne Wallace (Mar-13-19)
- Take the MRI, Hold the Gadolinium By Jane Mundy (Feb-27-19)
- Patients Battle Surprise Emergency Room Charges By Anne Wallace (Feb-20-19)
- Johnson & Johnson Settles Deceptive Hip Implant Marketing Lawsuits for $120 Million By Anne Wallace (Feb-12-19)
- Discrepancies in Emergency Room Overcharges Cause Frustration and Financial Woes By Jane Mundy (Feb-11-19)
- ER Charges: Underserved and Over-Charged thanks to Upcoding By Jane Mundy (Jan-10-19)
- Amputees Fighting for Insurance Coverage Get Tips from Blue Cross Antitrust Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Sep-20-18)
- Valsartan Recall Lawsuits Filed over Alleged Carcinogenic Contaminants By Anne Wallace (Sep-17-18)
- Amputees’ Fight for Insurance Coverage Focuses on ‘Medical Necessity’ of Microprocessor Prosthetics By Anne Wallace (Sep-4-18)
- Anthem Denials of Emergency Room CT Scans and MRIs; Patients Sent to Clinics By Anne Wallace (Aug-6-18)
- Essure’s Shelf Life in the US Soon to Expire By Jane Mundy (Jul-24-18)
- Study Further Links Proton Pump Inhibitors to Gastric Cancer and Conflicts with FDA study, Lawsuits to Follow By Jane Mundy (May-31-18)
- More Type 2 Diabetics add Complaints to Ongoing Onglyza Litigation By Jane Mundy (Apr-4-18)
- “The Public Must Pressure Johnson & Johnson to List all their Talcum Powder Ingredients", says Attorney By Jane Mundy (Mar-31-18)
- Ethicon Physiomesh Bellwether Trials to Start in September, 2019 By Gordon Gibb (Mar-30-18)
- IVC Filter Trials: Cook Medical Bellwether Dismissed, Bard Bellwether, Cordis and Rex Medical Going Forward By Jane Mundy (Mar-27-18)
- The Curious Case of the Disappearing DePuy Damages By Anne Wallace (Mar-24-18)
- Plaintiff Blames Loss of his Lower Leg to Invokana Use By Gordon Gibb (Mar-21-18)
- New Evidence Reopens Scotts Turf Builder Mesothelioma Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Mar-20-18)
- Indiana Woman Wins $35 Million in Johnson & Johnson Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Mar-18-18)
- Defective Hip Litigation Continues On against Zimmer, Smith & Nephew By Jane Mundy (Mar-12-18)
- A Tale of Two Unum Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (Mar-12-18)
- Will Pennsylvania Supreme Court Hear Risperdal Time Bar Appeal? By Gordon Gibb (Mar-12-18)
- Last-Minute Maneuvering Underway Prior to Next Round of Xarelto Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (Mar-11-18)
- First Responders Sue after Chemical Plant Meltdown during Hurricane Harvey By Brenda Craig (Mar-9-18)
- "Essure Problems" Women Bring FDA's Data to Meeting that FDA were Unaware Of By Jane Mundy (Mar-8-18)
- Georgia Plaintiff Alleges Use of Nexium Caused Chronic Kidney Disease By Gordon Gibb (Mar-4-18)
- Attorney is Hopeful Current Opioid Litigation will Pave the Way for Individual Opioid Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Mar-3-18)
- Families Ask GSK to Hand Over Zofran Data By Lucy Campbell (Feb-27-18)
- Deadly Onglyza Side Effects Set in Fast and Lawsuits Lumber On By Anne Wallace (Feb-25-18)
- Michigan Patient Billed Over $1,000 for Sitting in the Waiting Room By Gordon Gibb (Feb-23-18)
- Asbestos Mesothelioma Lawsuit Currently Underway in New Jersey By Gordon Gibb (Feb-20-18)
- Hernia Mesh a Helluva Mess By Jane Mundy (Feb-19-18)
- Medical Billing and Hospital Overcharges - What Happened to the Hippocratic Oath of "first, do no harm"? By Jane Mundy (Feb-19-18)
- First Bard IVC Filter Bellwether Lawsuit Gearing Up for March By Gordon Gibb (Feb-18-18)
- EPA Now Says Monsanto Roundup 'Likely' Does Not Cause Cancer, Debate Continues By Gordon Gibb (Feb-15-18)
- California Woman Slams J&J, Ethicon with 7-Count Physiomesh Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Feb-15-18)
- More Pressure to Withdraw Essure By Jane Mundy (Feb-14-18)
- Houston, We Have a Problem with DePuy ASR Hip Replacement By Jane Mundy (Feb-13-18)