LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Drugs/Medical Legal News Articles & Interviews
October 23, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ IUD Breakage an Increasing ParaGard Problem ]
New Jersey When NJ gynecologist Carolyn Delucia, MD suggests to NewBeauty readers that “you can go back to your gynecologist any time to get [Paragard IUD] removed,” it makes you wonder what bubble she is living in. Since 2010, the FDA has received more than 1,600 reports of ParaGard breakage, with more than 700 classified as serious.
October 20, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Looks like New Jersey hosts Elmiron MDL ]
Newark, NJ It’s a toss-up: whether to send 80 Elmiron vision loss lawsuits to Pennsylvania or New Jersey. Currently the latter seems to be the best bet. Lawyers have so far filed 80 Elmiron lawsuits and they anticipate hundreds more.
October 18, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ C.R. Bard Hernia Mesh Trial Gets the Green Light ]
Santa Clara, CA Federal hernia mesh lawsuits filed against C.R. Bard are proceeding with the first bellwhether trial scheduled for January 2021 (it was postponed due to COVID), despite numerous efforts by the medical device maker to have the case dismissed. This trial may well indicate the future of hernia mesh litigation and significantly impact up to 10,000 pending hernia mesh cases.
October 14, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Injectafer Double Dose—Double Profit and Double Risk, and Dosage Discrepancy ]
Santa Clara, CA Hypophosphatemia, an abnormally low level of phosphate in the blood, may be due to longer term or excess of certain drugs such as bisphosphonates, including Injectafer, but that may depend upon researchers conducting the clinical trials and the amount of the iron-deficiency drug treatment.
October 1, 2020. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Textured Breast Implants from Six More Manufacturers Linked to BIA-ALCL ]
Washington, DC A recently published study links breast implant-associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL) to implants manufactured by seven pharmaceutical companies. In addition to Allergan, the manufacturer of Biocell textured breast implants, the study names Mentor Worldwide, a unit of Johnson & Johnson, Silimed Polyurethane, Eurosilicone, Nagor, Orion, and Poly Implant Prothèse. Allergan faces at least 150 product liability and class action lawsuits. Mentor faces a smaller number, and none of the others are yet facing litigation.
September 28, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Paragard Problem with Breaking Leads to More Lawsuits ]
New York, NY Five more women have recently filed lawsuits against Cooper Surgical and Teva Pharmaceuticals claiming its ParaGard IUD broke while being removed. The ParaGard website warns consumers that its device sometimes gets stuck in the uterus, requiring surgical removal, but does not include a problem with it breaking apart.
September 28, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ More Elmiron Lawsuits, including Canada Class Actions, and the Impact of Vision Loss ]
Santa Clara, CA More Elmiron lawsuits are being filed in the U.S. and Canada has filed two class action lawsuits, all alleging the interstitial cystitis drug can cause permanent vision damage.
September 25, 2020. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ ETHICON SURGICAL STAPLERS RECALLED AFTER REPORTS OF SERIOUS MEDICAL HARM ]
Somerville, NJ In mid-October 2019, the FDA recalled Ethicon Echelon Flex surgical staplers because of a dangerous manufacturing failure that could cause serious health damage or even death. This followed, by only a few months, a recall of Ethicon Endo-Surgery curved intraluminal staplers, a defective medical product that posed similar dangers to patients.
September 15, 2020. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ FDA Update on BIA-ALCL Finds More Cases, More Deaths ]
Silver Spring, MD On August 20, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration provided an update on adverse events relating to breast implants, including breast implant-associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma. The new FDA update on BIA-ALCL reports a total of 733 cases and 36 patient deaths globally, an increase of 160 new cases and 3 deaths since July 2019. Of those 733 cases, 84.6 percent involved Allergan implants.
September 11, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Bayer to Settle Essure Birth Control Lawsuits for $1.6 Billion ]
Santa Clara, CA Almost two years after Bayer stopped selling Essure in the U.S., and four years after the FDA told Bayer its birth control device needed a black box warning regarding potential serious side effects, the pharma giant will pay $1.6 billion to settle Essure lawsuits brought by nearly 39,000 women in the U.S. who suffered serious health complications as a result of Essure fallopian tube implants.
- “Now is not the time to tinker with Injectafer labeling,” says Attorney By Jane Mundy (Sep-2-20)
- Zantac Cancer Lawsuit Accuses Pharmaceutical Giants of Racketeering By Anne Wallace (Sep-2-20)
- New Zantac Lawsuit: Poison Pills Killed Carl Glasper By Anne Wallace (Aug-19-20)
- New Lawsuits Describe Serious Paragard IUD Complications By Anne Wallace (Aug-14-20)
- Elmiron may no longer be Drug Companies’ Golden Goose By Jane Mundy (Aug-13-20)
- Deadly Secrets – Did Allergan Hide Breast Implant Side Effects? By Anne Wallace (Aug-3-20)
- Under Pressure, Elmiron Manufacturer Updates its Label By Jane Mundy (Jul-17-20)
- New Jersey Allergan Biocell Textured Breast Implant Lawsuits Consolidated in New Jersey Superior Court By Anne Wallace (Jul-10-20)
- FDA Pulls Zantac off Shelves By Anne Wallace (Jul-6-20)
- Insured Californians Getting Gouged by Out-of-Network Providers By Jane Mundy (Jun-16-20)
- Two Zantac Lawsuits, Two types of Cancer By Jane Mundy (Jun-12-20)
- Elmiron Vision Loss Lawsuits Mounting By Jane Mundy (Jun-5-20)
- Zantac Associated with Breast Cancer By Jane Mundy (May-20-20)
- Getting Caught Can Reduce Emergency Room Overcharges By Jane Mundy (May-14-20)
- FDA Finally Pulls Zantac By Jane Mundy (Apr-17-20)
- Emergency Room Overcharges –Surprise! By Jane Mundy (Apr-16-20)
- Emergency Room Overcharges with Coronavirus Test By Jane Mundy (Apr-5-20)
- Zantac Cancer Lawsuits Move to MDL Phase By Anne Wallace (Mar-20-20)
- Rantidine Recalls Stoke Zantac Cancer Lawsuits By Anne Wallace (Feb-12-20)
- New Research: Brief Heat Exposure Increases Zantac Cancer Odds By Anne Wallace (Jan-14-20)
- More Ranitidine Cancer Concerns Lead to Zantac Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Jan-9-20)
- Zantac – Buyer Beware, but from Whom? By Jane Mundy (Dec-9-19)
- More Zantac Cancer Lawsuits and Recalls By Jane Mundy (Nov-19-19)
- Has J&J Lost Its Way? By Jane Mundy (Oct-25-19)
- Health Canada in Gadolinium Denial By Jane Mundy (Sep-13-19)
- What’s Next for Ethicon Hernia Mesh Lawsuits? By Anne Wallace (Sep-12-19)
- Gadolinium Dyeing Out? By Jane Mundy (Aug-13-19)
- Lawmakers Suspect Gilead Has Ulterior Motives for Donating HIV/AIDS drug Truvada By Jane Mundy (Jul-25-19)
- MRI with Gadolinium – Better to be Safe than Sorry? By Jane Mundy (Jun-19-19)
- Johnson & Johnson Resolves Hip Implant Lawsuits for $1 Billion Dollars By Jane Mundy (Jun-3-19)
- The FDA Pulls (Most) Vaginal Mesh Products off the Market – Now What? By Jane Mundy (May-22-19)
- “I was a Gadolinium Guinea Pig,” says Woman Diagnosed with Kidney Problems By Jane Mundy (Apr-17-19)
- Abdominal Mesh Victim Prescribed Oxycontin--Could the Pain have been Avoided if Medical Devices were Tested? By Jane Mundy (Apr-10-19)
- Xarelto Settlement of $775 million Over Failure to Warn Claims By Jane Mundy (Apr-9-19)
- Multidistrict Surgical Mesh Lawsuit Awards and Settlements Approach $11 Billion By Anne Wallace (Mar-13-19)
- Take the MRI, Hold the Gadolinium By Jane Mundy (Feb-27-19)
- Patients Battle Surprise Emergency Room Charges By Anne Wallace (Feb-20-19)
- Johnson & Johnson Settles Deceptive Hip Implant Marketing Lawsuits for $120 Million By Anne Wallace (Feb-12-19)
- Discrepancies in Emergency Room Overcharges Cause Frustration and Financial Woes By Jane Mundy (Feb-11-19)
- ER Charges: Underserved and Over-Charged thanks to Upcoding By Jane Mundy (Jan-10-19)