LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Drugs/Medical Legal News Articles & Interviews
September 9, 2022. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Two More Philips CPAP Sleep Machine Recalls ]
Santa Clara, CA On the heels of its massive sleep apnea machine recall, Philips announced yet another recall but this time it involves a plastic component that can release cancer-causing chemicals into the user’s airway. Incredibly, a third and separate recall was announced on September 6, involving masks worn with the sleep machines.
August 18, 2022. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Departments Still Overcharging Patients, Lawsuit Filed ]
Nashville, TN There was a flurry of reports and studies about five years ago that found routine price gouging in emergency rooms nationwide, and it was worse for the most vulnerable populations – poor and minority patients. It appears that, no matter how advanced medical technology gets, many emergency room patients are left in the dark, and left with an unexpectedly huge ER overcharges bill.
July 28, 2022. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Lawsuit: Philips Knew CPAP Sleep Machines Link to Cancer ]
Santa Clara, CA Philips has been slammed with another Dreamstation lawsuit, alleging the company knew its sleep machines could cause cancers and other injuries years before the world-wide recall.
July 25, 2022. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Abbott Formula and ‘Absurd’ Loophole ]
Chicago, ILIn an attempt to keep Similac baby formula lawsuits in federal rather than state court, Abbott tried to use a legal loophole known as “snap removal”, but a federal judge rejected it as “absurd” and kicked the four lawsuits back to state court. The plaintiffs claim that Abbott’s Similac PM 60/40 formula caused a deadly illness in premature infants.
July 21, 2022. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Former Head of Third-Party Billing Company on trial for Health Care Fraud ]
Islip, NY A number of elements go into the calculation of emergency room fees. Apart from the cost of providing care, hospitals must factor in reasonable expectations that some bills will go unpaid and that insurance companies will try to negotiate certain charges down – sometimes because of suspicions of healthcare fraud. The net effect, however, is that patients pay more.
July 5, 2022. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Increased Emergency Room Charges Loom for Patients at Critical Access Hospitals ]
Clear Lake, CA On April 8, the DC Circuit Court, which has jurisdiction over Medicare cases, held that Medicare need not reimburse St. Helena Clear Lake Hospital for the cost of maintaining nonemergency room specialists on call. Without Medicare reimbursement, the cost of maintaining these doctors on call will ultimately be passed along to patients through higher emergency room charges.
May 27, 2022. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Philips CPAP Machines – More Wrongful Death Lawsuits? ]
Santa Clara, CAWith the FDA suspecting 124 deaths from recalled CPAP sleep apnea machines, more wrongful death lawsuits could be filed against Philips Respironics.
May 17, 2022. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Bard v. Milanesi Good News for Hernia Mesh Victims ]
Pensacola, FL Lorna P., one of many hernia mesh victims, is hopeful that she will receive compensation after hearing that the jury in the second C.R. Bard bellwether trial awarded $255,000 to a man allegedly injured by C.R. Bard’s hernia mesh.
April 29, 2022. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Two Open-Heart Surgery Outcomes Involving Stockert 3T Heater-Cooler System ]
Santa Clara, CA The chances of developing an infection after cardiac surgery is slim – an estimated 1 in 5,000 patients who had heart valve surgery and even lower for other types of surgery. But that percentage is higher if a Stockert 3T Heater-Cooler was used during surgery. Rod says he hasn’t recovered from his heart surgery and Carol’s husband died from infection. Now they are pursuing a claim against Sorin, the heater-cooler device manufacturer.
April 21, 2022. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Medical Device Suppliers Hit Philips Respironics with Class Action ]
Glenside, PA Philips is hit again with a class action lawsuit, but this time medical device makers join thousands of consumers who filed complaints over the defective sleep apnea machines alleged to cause cancers and respiratory injuries. Baird Respiratory Therapy, Inc., filed in March 2022 a class action lawsuit against Philips in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, seeking to represent durable medical equipment (DME) suppliers nationwide who purchased Philips’ recalled breathing machines.
- More Hospital Overcharges Lawsuits against TeamHealth “Cartel” By Jane Mundy (Apr-6-22)
- Exactech Lawsuits Claim Defective Hip Implant By Jane Mundy (Apr-1-22)
- UnitedHealthcare Cites Upcoding Fraud in Lawsuit against Emergency Room Staffing Company By Anne Wallace (Mar-9-22)
- Stockert 3T Heater Cooler System and the FDA By Jane Mundy (Mar-8-22)
- The No Surprises Act Not Foolproof By Jane Mundy (Feb-23-22)
- CPAP Sleep Machines Kidney Cancer Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Feb-16-22)
- Covidien Parietex Lawsuit Claims Hernia Mesh Defective and Dangerous By Jane Mundy (Feb-11-22)
- Canadian Class Action Accuses Sorin Heater-Cooler System Makers of Failure to Warn By Jane Mundy (Jan-31-22)
- Mother Files Lawsuit Claiming Similac Infant Formula Caused Baby’s Death By Jane Mundy (Jan-30-22)
- Hernia Mesh Victims File Motion for Multi-District Litigation By Jane Mundy (Jan-20-22)
- Thousands more CPAP Lawsuits in Store for Philips By Jane Mundy (Jan-18-22)
- TeamHealth vs. United HealthCare Services By Jane Mundy (Dec-21-21)
- Things to Know About the Kombiglyze XR Lawsuit By LAS Staff Writer (Dec-17-21)
- Destroy vs. Preserve Philips CPAP Sleep Machine Evidence By Jane Mundy (Dec-7-21)
- ER Charged $1,200 for Nosebleed By Jane Mundy (Nov-30-21)
- Physician Billed Exorbitant ER Overcharges By Jane Mundy (Nov-28-21)
- Cleaning Processes Blamed for Defective CPAP Devices – Scapegoat SoClean Files Lawsuit Against Philips By Jane Mundy (Nov-26-21)
- FDA: Transvaginal Mesh Not Worth the Risk in Treating Pelvic Organ Prolapse By Anne Wallace (Nov-22-21)
- Patient is Charged ER Fees Without Being Seen By Jane Mundy (Nov-12-21)
- Second Hernia Mesh Bellwether Trial Underway By Jane Mundy (Oct-19-21)
- Lengthy CPAP Sleep Machine Recall —More “Fraud, Waste and Abuse” Like COVID-19 Ventilators”? By Jane Mundy (Oct-15-21)
- Jury Hands Bard Quick Win in First Surgical Mesh MDL Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Sep-23-21)
- CPAP Sleep Machine Nightmare – for both Consumers and Philips By Jane Mundy (Sep-13-21)
- Philips CPAP Sleep Machines: Investors Over Individuals? By Jane Mundy (Sep-1-21)
- Bard Hernia Mesh Bellwether Trial Underway By Jane Mundy (Aug-30-21)
- Zantac Bellwether Trials Likely in 2023 By Anne Wallace (Aug-25-21)
- Patients “Deceived” and “Scammed” by ER Fees By Jane Mundy (Aug-18-21)
- Emergency Room Overcharges Patient now Debt Collector Victim By Jane Mundy (Jul-16-21)
- No Surprises Act to Eliminate ER Overcharges? By Jane Mundy (Jun-15-21)
- Recent Studies Show Other Side Effects, including certain Cancers, with Long-term PPI Use By Jane Mundy (Jun-3-21)
- Abdominal Mesh Surgery Destroys Life, say patients in the U.S. and Scotland By Jane Mundy (May-27-21)
- Emergency Room Opportunity to Overcharge By Jane Mundy (May-21-21)
- Zantac Breast Cancer Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (May-20-21)
- Boston Scientific Vaginal Mesh Settlement and More Abdominal Mesh Lawsuits Filed By Jane Mundy (Apr-23-21)
- PPI Wrongful Death Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Apr-16-21)
- Emergency Room Overcharges Complaints Outrageous but True By Jane Mundy (Apr-14-21)
- Emergency Room Overcharges Attorney Helps—if you are Committed By Jane Mundy (Apr-1-21)
- Two Former Cardiologists Awarded $10.6 million for Reporting Patient Care Problems and Overcharging By Jane Mundy (Feb-28-21)
- Ethicon Litigation Dragging but Bellwether Trials Rescheduled By Jane Mundy (Feb-19-21)
- Proton Pump Inhibitor Maker Facing Wrongful Death Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Feb-18-21)