LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Drugs/Medical Legal News Articles & Interviews
July 16, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Overcharges Patient now Debt Collector Victim ]
Arley, AL Catrina arrived at the hospital emergency room bent over in pain--three days later she was sent home after having her gallbladder removed. The surgery went well--until the bills arrived. Particularly galling was a CT Scan charge about three times more than the national average cost--a typical example of ER overcharges. (Granted, scans are typically more expensive when ordered in an ER.) Her total bill rings in at 86,381.04.
June 15, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ No Surprises Act to Eliminate ER Overcharges? ]
Santa Clara, CA Although the “No Surprises Act” will be in effect January 1, 2022, the first regulations are slated for July 2021. If all goes according to plan, patients to emergency rooms will no longer be hit with outrageous ER overcharges or receive surprise bills in the mail, mainly due to out of network treatment.
June 3, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Recent Studies Show Other Side Effects, including certain Cancers, with Long-term PPI Use ]
Santa Clara, CA For more than a decade, studies have shown that proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are associated with serious side effects, including kidney failure and other injuries. Researchers now add to “other” injuries biliary track cancer, gallbladder cancer and cholecystitis (inflammation of the gallbladder) and might be carcinogenic.
May 27, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Abdominal Mesh Surgery Destroys Life, say patients in the U.S. and Scotland ]
Lancaster, SC Ruth underwent three abdominal mesh surgeries in the last few years, all of them unsuccessful. She now lives with an ugly scar and constant pain. She replaced her addiction to prescription painkillers with Suboxone (prevents painful addiction withdrawal) and trips to the emergency room with visits to the addiction center.
May 21, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Opportunity to Overcharge ]
Houston, TX Nick was working at his home office when he suddenly felt the left side of his body go numb and a searing pain in his lower back. “Thank God my wife was home. She drove me to the nearest urgent care center but a sign on the door said it was “running at capacity” and couldn’t see any patients that day,” says Nick. “We googled the nearest emergency room—at this point I was almost passing out. And I almost passed out two weeks later when my ER bill came in the mail. I’d heard about ER overcharges but this was ridiculous!”
May 20, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Zantac Breast Cancer Lawsuit ]
Los Angeles, CA On April 19, Marina Golden filed a Zantac cancer lawsuit in California state court, alleging that her years’ long use of Zantac caused her 2014 diagnosis of breast cancer. Her lawsuit seeks punitive and exemplary damages to punish the defendant manufacturers and retailers for their wrongful acts as well as compensatory damages in recognition of the harms that she suffered.
April 23, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Boston Scientific Vaginal Mesh Settlement and More Abdominal Mesh Lawsuits Filed ]
Washington, DC Boston Scientific will pay $188.6 million to resolve transvaginal mesh lawsuits in 47 states and the District of Columbia. This means that tens of thousands of women who have been injured by vaginal mesh implants will qualify for some restitution.
April 16, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ PPI Wrongful Death Lawsuit ]
Newark, NJ A wrongful death lawsuit has been filed against AstraZeneca, Merck & Co., Procter & Gamble and other manufacturers of proton pump inhibitor (PPI) drugs. Plaintiff Daisy Perez claims her husband, a New Mexico man, died of metastatic gastric cancer after taking Nexium and Prilosec.
April 14, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Overcharges Complaints Outrageous but True ]
Santa Clara, CA Many emergency room overcharges complaints submitted to LawyersandSettlements are so outrageous they seem fictional. Sadly, they are true. In each complaint below, the patient’s bill isn’t even close to the “going rate”.
April 1, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Overcharges Attorney Helps—if you are Committed ]
Los Angeles, CA Attorney Barry Kramer may be able to get your emergency room services reduced, but his goal is to change the hospital system and stop ER overcharges for everyone. If you think your hospital has overcharged you for their services and you’re willing to go the distance, and if you want to make a difference and help others, read on.
- Two Former Cardiologists Awarded $10.6 million for Reporting Patient Care Problems and Overcharging By Jane Mundy (Feb-28-21)
- Ethicon Litigation Dragging but Bellwether Trials Rescheduled By Jane Mundy (Feb-19-21)
- Proton Pump Inhibitor Maker Facing Wrongful Death Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Feb-18-21)
- Whittling Down PPI Cases for Bellwether Trials By Jane Mundy (Jan-29-21)
- Bard Hernia Mesh Bellwether Trial Posptoned By Jane Mundy (Jan-15-21)
- Proton Pump Inhibitors – More Harm than Good, especially in COVID-19 Patients By Jane Mundy (Dec-31-20)
- What to Expect in Zantac Cancer Lawsuits for 2021 and Beyond By Anne Wallace (Dec-8-20)
- Abdominal Mesh “Like a Chunk of Iron in my Stomach” By Jane Mundy (Dec-7-20)
- Allergan Refuses to Pay for Surgery to Remove Breast Implants Linked to Cancer By Anne Wallace (Dec-1-20)
- “Acid Reflux Drugs Caused my Type 2 Diabetes” By Jane Mundy (Nov-28-20)
- More Injectafer Lawsuits Alleging Hypophosphatemia – a Serious Health Risk By Jane Mundy (Nov-13-20)
- Hernia Mesh Lawsuits Tangled in Delays By Jane Mundy (Nov-11-20)
- Bayer Essure Settlement a Victory for Thousands of Essure Victims and E-Sisters By Jane Mundy (Nov-2-20)
- Regular Acid-reflux Drug Use Linked to Higher Risk of type 2 Diabetes By Jane Mundy (Oct-25-20)
- IUD Breakage an Increasing ParaGard Problem By Jane Mundy (Oct-23-20)
- Looks like New Jersey hosts Elmiron MDL By Jane Mundy (Oct-20-20)
- C.R. Bard Hernia Mesh Trial Gets the Green Light By Jane Mundy (Oct-18-20)
- Injectafer Double Dose—Double Profit and Double Risk, and Dosage Discrepancy By Jane Mundy (Oct-14-20)
- Textured Breast Implants from Six More Manufacturers Linked to BIA-ALCL By Anne Wallace (Oct-1-20)
- Paragard Problem with Breaking Leads to More Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Sep-28-20)
- More Elmiron Lawsuits, including Canada Class Actions, and the Impact of Vision Loss By Jane Mundy (Sep-28-20)
- ETHICON SURGICAL STAPLERS RECALLED AFTER REPORTS OF SERIOUS MEDICAL HARM By Anne Wallace (Sep-25-20)
- FDA Update on BIA-ALCL Finds More Cases, More Deaths By Anne Wallace (Sep-15-20)
- Bayer to Settle Essure Birth Control Lawsuits for $1.6 Billion By Jane Mundy (Sep-11-20)
- “Now is not the time to tinker with Injectafer labeling,” says Attorney By Jane Mundy (Sep-2-20)
- Zantac Cancer Lawsuit Accuses Pharmaceutical Giants of Racketeering By Anne Wallace (Sep-2-20)
- New Zantac Lawsuit: Poison Pills Killed Carl Glasper By Anne Wallace (Aug-19-20)
- New Lawsuits Describe Serious Paragard IUD Complications By Anne Wallace (Aug-14-20)
- Elmiron may no longer be Drug Companies’ Golden Goose By Jane Mundy (Aug-13-20)
- Deadly Secrets – Did Allergan Hide Breast Implant Side Effects? By Anne Wallace (Aug-3-20)
- Under Pressure, Elmiron Manufacturer Updates its Label By Jane Mundy (Jul-17-20)
- New Jersey Allergan Biocell Textured Breast Implant Lawsuits Consolidated in New Jersey Superior Court By Anne Wallace (Jul-10-20)
- FDA Pulls Zantac off Shelves By Anne Wallace (Jul-6-20)
- Insured Californians Getting Gouged by Out-of-Network Providers By Jane Mundy (Jun-16-20)
- Two Zantac Lawsuits, Two types of Cancer By Jane Mundy (Jun-12-20)
- Elmiron Vision Loss Lawsuits Mounting By Jane Mundy (Jun-5-20)
- Zantac Associated with Breast Cancer By Jane Mundy (May-20-20)
- Getting Caught Can Reduce Emergency Room Overcharges By Jane Mundy (May-14-20)
- FDA Finally Pulls Zantac By Jane Mundy (Apr-17-20)
- Emergency Room Overcharges –Surprise! By Jane Mundy (Apr-16-20)