LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Financial Legal News Articles & Interviews
December 21, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ TeamHealth vs. United HealthCare Services ]
Knoxville, TN UnitedHealthcare claims that TeamHealth has submitted fraudulent claims to the insurer, to the tune of more than $100 million. The ER fees lawsuit claims that the emergency room staffing and billing company has been upcoding—using codes to deceive the insurer into overpaying—since 2016.
November 30, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ ER Charged $1,200 for Nosebleed ]
Kansas City, KS Tony woke up late Saturday night with a nosebleed and not knowing what to do, his son drove him to emergency room at St. Lukes South Hospital. When Tony got the bill in the mail he almost had a stroke--a doctor had simply inserted into his nose a cotton ball sprayed with decongestant, which took a few minutes, but he was billed $1,200. There had to be an error.
November 28, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Physician Billed Exorbitant ER Overcharges ]
San Diego, CA “Not only are these inflated ER overcharges unethical – I don’t understand how medical professionals can charge exorbitant fees for such little work,” says Michael Cutler MD, an urgent care physician. “People were ordering tests before the doctor even came in the door.”
November 12, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Patient is Charged ER Fees Without Being Seen ]
Atlanta, GA After waiting in the Emory Decatur Hospital ER for seven hours to treat a head injury, Taylor Davis couldn’t wait any longer and went home. She later received an emergency room bill for $688.35. Are you familiar with the old English proverb that “Children should be seen and not heard”? Here’s a new American phrase: “Patients are charged for not being seen.”
August 18, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Patients “Deceived” and “Scammed” by ER Fees ]
Santa Clara, CA Patients treated at ER, sometimes for minor issues, say they aren’t told their insurance is out-of-network and that emergency room fees, including certain tests and procedures, will wind up costing them thousands and thousands of dollars.
July 16, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Overcharges Patient now Debt Collector Victim ]
Arley, AL Catrina arrived at the hospital emergency room bent over in pain--three days later she was sent home after having her gallbladder removed. The surgery went well--until the bills arrived. Particularly galling was a CT Scan charge about three times more than the national average cost--a typical example of ER overcharges. (Granted, scans are typically more expensive when ordered in an ER.) Her total bill rings in at 86,381.04.
May 21, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Opportunity to Overcharge ]
Houston, TX Nick was working at his home office when he suddenly felt the left side of his body go numb and a searing pain in his lower back. “Thank God my wife was home. She drove me to the nearest urgent care center but a sign on the door said it was “running at capacity” and couldn’t see any patients that day,” says Nick. “We googled the nearest emergency room—at this point I was almost passing out. And I almost passed out two weeks later when my ER bill came in the mail. I’d heard about ER overcharges but this was ridiculous!”
April 14, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Overcharges Complaints Outrageous but True ]
Santa Clara, CA Many emergency room overcharges complaints submitted to LawyersandSettlements are so outrageous they seem fictional. Sadly, they are true. In each complaint below, the patient’s bill isn’t even close to the “going rate”.
April 6, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Credit Union of New Jersey Hit with Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit ]
Camden, NJ Laronda Hickmond filed a bank overdraft fees lawsuit against Credit Union of New Jersey in New Jersey District Court on March 17. Hickmond v. Credit Union of New Jersey alleges that the credit union repeatedly charged Ms. Hickmond $30 overdraft fees even though, according to the monthly account statements prepared by the credit union, her account balance never dropped into the negative. She seeks class action status for the lawsuit on behalf of herself and all similarly situated accountholders.
April 1, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Overcharges Attorney Helps—if you are Committed ]
Los Angeles, CA Attorney Barry Kramer may be able to get your emergency room services reduced, but his goal is to change the hospital system and stop ER overcharges for everyone. If you think your hospital has overcharged you for their services and you’re willing to go the distance, and if you want to make a difference and help others, read on.
- Insufficient Funds Charges Threaten Small-Balance Accountholders By Anne Wallace (Mar-31-21)
- Texas Sues Griddy Energy for Deceptive Advertising By Anne Wallace (Mar-12-21)
- Two Former Cardiologists Awarded $10.6 million for Reporting Patient Care Problems and Overcharging By Jane Mundy (Feb-28-21)
- Ninth Circuit Sends "High-Tech Debt Trap" Lawsuit to Arbitration By Anne Wallace (Feb-27-21)
- Bank Overdraft Fees Lawsuit Stresses Lack of Consumer Sophistication, Unfair Process By Anne Wallace (Jan-6-21)
- Mandatory Arbitration Amendments Thwart Excessive Overdraft Fee Lawsuits By Anne Wallace (May-22-20)
- JPMorgan Chase to Settle 401k Self-Dealing Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Apr-22-20)
- Supreme Court Sends IBM Stock Drop ERISA Lawsuit Back to Second Circuit By Anne Wallace (Feb-11-20)
- U.S. Supreme Court to Hear Oral Arguments in ERISA Breach of Fiduciary Duty Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Jan-10-20)
- Dignity Health ERISA Lawsuit Inches Toward $100 Million Settlement By Anne Wallace (Dec-10-19)
- Goldman Sachs 401k Plan Participants file ERISA Lawsuit over Self-Dealing By Anne Wallace (Nov-21-19)
- Philadelphia Federal Credit Union Accused of “Gouging” Consumers with Multiple NSF Fees By Anne Wallace (Nov-11-19)
- Did the Ninth Circuit Gut ERISA Enforcement in Schwab 401k Mismanagement Lawsuit? By Anne Wallace (Oct-21-19)
- United Federal Credit Union Settles Excessive Overdraft Fee Lawsuit for $1.75 Million By Anne Wallace (Oct-16-19)
- Safeway 401k Plan to Settle ERISA lawsuit for $8.5 Million By Anne Wallace (Oct-9-19)
- USAA Bank Forces Individual Arbitration of Excessive Overdraft Fee Claims By Anne Wallace (Sep-17-19)
- Fiduciaries’ Desperate Drive to Fund Benefits Backfires By Anne Wallace (Sep-11-19)
- ERISA Lawsuit Charges Plan with Mismanaging Both High and Low Yield Investment Choices By Anne Wallace (Aug-23-19)
- VyStar Credit Union Accused of Assessing NSF Fees Multiple Times for Same Transaction By Anne Wallace (Aug-8-19)
- Fidelity 401k Fiduciary Lawsuits Consolidated in Massachusetts By Anne Wallace (Aug-7-19)
- Dignity Health Poised to Settle ERISA Lawsuit for $100 Million By Anne Wallace (Jul-30-19)
- Georgia Court of Appeals Affirms Class Action Status for Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Jun-7-19)
- Did Northrup Grumman Squander ERISA Pension Money? By Anne Wallace (Jun-5-19)
- Expert in ERISA Lawsuit Stumped by Basic Questions By Anne Wallace (May-17-19)
- President (of Yale) Can’t Dodge Deposition By Anne Wallace (May-9-19)
- Online Lender Settles with FTC for $3.85 Million By Anne Wallace (May-8-19)
- Latest ERISA Lawsuit News – 401k Mismanagement Lawsuits Going Strong, New Settlement in Treatment Denial Case By Anne Wallace (Apr-26-19)
- $24.5 Million Settlement in Navy Federal Credit Union Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Apr-23-19)
- Sickening Stock Drop Prompts Boeing 737 ERISA Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Apr-19-19)
- Johnson & Johnson Talc Tribulations Spark ERISA Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Mar-28-19)
- ERISA Lawsuit Claims Fidelity Investments Took Secret Kickbacks By Anne Wallace (Mar-11-19)
- Patients Battle Surprise Emergency Room Charges By Anne Wallace (Feb-20-19)
- Washington State Employees Credit Union Settles Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit for $2.99 Million By Anne Wallace (Feb-15-19)
- Dockworkers’ ERISA Lawsuit Challenges Denial of Preapproved Benefits By Anne Wallace (Feb-14-19)
- Credit Unions – A Case of Shutdown Shame? By Anne Wallace (Jan-24-19)
- Employee 401(k) Lawsuit Claims GE Inflated Stock Value By Anne Wallace (Jan-15-19)
- Trustmark National Bank Latest Defendant in Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Dec-21-18)
- SEI Investments Company Accused of Self-Dealing in 401(k) Mismanagement Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Dec-12-18)
- Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit against DFCU Survives Motion to Dismiss By Anne Wallace (Nov-23-18)
- Hacks, Embezzlements, and 401(k) Mismanagement – What You Can Do to Protect Your Retirement Nest Egg By Anne Wallace (Nov-17-18)