LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Consumer Banking Legal News Articles & Interviews
February 15, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Washington State Employees Credit Union Settles Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit for $2.99 Million ]
Tacoma, WA Washington State Employees Credit Union (“WSECU”) has agreed to pay $2.99 million to settle an excessive overdraft fees lawsuit. The class action lawsuit, Wodja v. Washington State Employees Credit Union, alleges that WSECU charged overdraft fees when members actually had enough money in their accounts. The settlement covers individuals affected by the credit union’s overdraft practices between 2009 and 2016.
January 24, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Credit Unions – A Case of Shutdown Shame? ]
Washington, DC This is a good news/bad news story. The good news is that many banks and credit unions are offering financial relief to workers affected by the US government shutdown. The bad news is that the relief is designed to be temporary and limited. It also fails to address the widespread problem of excessive checking account overdraft charges that has been exposed through excessive overdraft fees lawsuits. These fees, like payday loan interest charges, cause great harm to the most vulnerable consumers.
December 21, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Trustmark National Bank Latest Defendant in Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit ]
Jackson, MS In the waning days of December 2018, Cryesha McDonald and Chantal Lewis filed an excessive overdraft fees lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi. The lawsuit alleges that Trustmark National Bank assessed overdraft fees in violation of its contractual agreements with customers. Like similar lawsuits brought throughout the country, McDonald v. Trustmark National Bank claims that the bank charges fees on transactions that do not actually overdraft the account. Attorneys for the plaintiffs seek class action status for the lawsuit.
November 23, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit against DFCU Survives Motion to Dismiss ]
Boston, MA Brandi Salls’ excessive overdraft fees lawsuit against Digital Federal Credit Union (DFCU) has survived the credit union’s Motion to Dismiss. This is good news, but it was a near thing, at least with respect to some of the counts. Claimants in similar credit union lawsuits should take away five important lessons.
October 3, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Digital Federal Credit Union Snared in Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit ]
Boston, MAThe allegations in the latest excessive overdraft fees lawsuit against Digital Federal Credit Union (DFCU) may seem familiar by now. It is about two different ways of calculating an account balance – one which the consumer saw, and the other, lower number, which DFCU kept much closer to the vest. Similar lawsuits have been filed against Landmark Credit Union, Summit Credit Union, Pentagon Federal Credit Union and Boeing Employees Credit Union.
September 11, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ New California Class Action Lawsuit Targets Deceptive Bank Fees ]
San Diego, CA Bank fees are growing rapidly, and consumers are feeling the pinch. Furthermore, many customers feel that they are somehow being hoodwinked into paying hidden, undisclosed costs. On August 2, 2018, Reyna McGovern filed a class action excessive bank fees lawsuit against U.S. Bank, N.A. (US Bank). Her lawsuit tackles two thorny issues: out-of-network ATM fees and overdraft fees charged when her account showed a sufficient account balance.
August 28, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ CFPB Moves to Protect Students from Overdraft Fees ]
Washington, DC On July 20, 2018, the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection (CFPB) offered to settle its claim that TCF National Bank engaged in deceptive practices to market its overdraft protection services. In its bank overdraft fees lawsuit the CFPB alleged that these practices affected students at the University of Minnesota, with which TCF has a beneficial financial relationship. As their bright young things head off to college, should parents be concerned? Students and other inexperienced and lower income banking customers are particularly vulnerable to excessive overdraft fee schemes.
August 15, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Landmark Credit Union Settles Overdraft Fees Lawsuit ]
New Berlin, WI: Danell Behrens filed a proposed class action overdraft fees lawsuit in February 2017 against Landmark Credit Union (LCU), alleging the not-for-profit financial institution charged its members more than $2 million in overdraft fees, in violation of the Electronic Fund Transfer Act (ETFA) and LCU’s own overdraft program contract. LCU has agreed to refund some of those fees and change its overdraft practices as part of the settlement agreement.
July 27, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Washington, DC: You may have been charged excessive bank overdraft fees unknowingly. Or maybe you filed a bank overdraft fees lawsuit some time ago to fight back against the banks. If so, you may be able to make money from the banks, namely Bank of America, Wells Fargo, JPMorgan Chase and TCF National Bank.Read [ Time For Banks To Pay Up: Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuits Settled ]
June 20, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Madison, WI: In March 2018, Matthew Domann filed a class action lawsuit against Summit Credit Union alleging that since 2010, SCU has wrongfully charged overdraft fees to checking account customers throughout Wisconsin. The credit union lawsuit details a practice of placing “holds” on pending debit card transactions and deposits to artificially depress the account balances and then reordering the transactions to maximize the number of overdraft fees assessed.Read [ Credit Union Lawsuit Cites Excessive Overdraft Fees ]
- Death by Delay – CFPB Defers Credit Union Overdraft Regulations into Indefinite Future By Anne Wallace (May-22-18)
- MB Financial Facing Lawsuit re $6,000 in Overdraft Fees By Anne Wallace (Apr-30-18)
- Big Banks Don’t appear to be Getting the Message over Excessive Banking Fees By Gordon Gibb (Mar-19-18)
- It's Alive! Class Action Lawsuit against Capital One Bank is Back On By Anne Wallace (Feb-18-18)
- Despite Recent Settlements, Banks Still Bilking Consumers Out of Billions By Gordon Gibb (Jan-19-18)
- Overdraft Fees Chewing Up Consumers By Brenda Craig (Dec-29-17)
- Are Continuous Overdraft Fees Like Illegal Payday Loans? By Anne Wallace (Nov-25-17)
- Bank of America to Settle Excessive Fees Class Action for $66.6 Million By Gordon Gibb (Nov-10-17)
- It Just Got Harder to Sue Your Bank for Excessive Overdraft Fees By Anne Wallace (Oct-30-17)
- Wells Fargo Now Favors Arbitration in Long-Running Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Oct-16-17)
- Defendant Attempts to Quash TCPA Lawsuit through Unique Interpretation of Law By Gordon Gibb (Sep-30-17)
- Banks Fight Excessive Overdraft Suits with Bid for Arbitration By Anne Wallace (Sep-8-17)
- Whistleblower Alleges Healthcare Fraud in Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Sep-7-17)
- Disgruntled Connecticut Account Holder Sues People’s United Bank over Fees By Gordon Gibb (Sep-3-17)
- Republican Lawmakers Want to Retract New Consumers Rights to Excessive Bank Fees Class Actions By Gordon Gibb (Aug-3-17)
- Tipsters Play Huge Role in Rooting Out Financial Fraud By Brenda Craig (Aug-2-17)
- Labor Department Orders Wells Fargo to Reinstate Whistleblower and Pay $577,000 in Back Wages By Deb Hipp (Jul-27-17)
- Not-Ready-for-Market Herbicide Kills Farmers’ Crops By Brenda Craig (Jul-26-17)
- Study Finds Consumers Complain Most About Banks With Highest Overdraft Fee Revenue By Deb Hipp (Jul-19-17)
- Settlement Reached in Citibank Robocall Proposed Class Action By Deb Hipp (Jul-12-17)
- Plaintiff Files Proposed Class Action Lawsuit over Nuisance Bank Robocalls By Gordon Gibb (Jun-11-17)
- Bank Allegedly Robocalls Man More Than 125 Times to Collect a Debt By Deb Hipp (May-31-17)
- BOK Financial $7.8 Million Class Action Settlement Headed For Final Approval By Deb Hipp (May-11-17)
- Bumble Bee Pleads Guilty to Tuna Price Fixing with Possible $25M Fine By Lucy Campbell (May-8-17)
- Wells Fargo’s Pursuit of Arbitration a Waste of Resources: Plaintiffs By Gordon Gibb (Apr-24-17)
- New Report Shows 10 Banks Account for 67 Percent of Overdraft Fee Revenue By Deb Hipp (Feb-28-17)
- Wells Fargo Fake Bank and Credit Card Account Fraud Revealed By Lucy Campbell (Sep-8-16)
- Bounced Check Re-presentment Lawsuits Are Nothing New By Gordon Gibb (May-11-16)
- Attorneys Investigating Check Re-presentment Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Apr-17-16)
- Check Re-presentment: What It Is and Why It Matters to You By Gordon Gibb (Apr-1-16)
- Check Re-presentment Attorney: Consumers May Be Unknowingly Paying Re-presentment Fees By Heidi Turner (Mar-24-16)
- Panel Declines Consolidation of Credit Union Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Feb-22-16)
- Volkswagen Faces VW Recall Lawsuit by US Department of Justice By Gordon Gibb (Jan-11-16)
- Payday Loan Class Actions Could Make a Comeback By Brenda Craig (Jul-19-15)
- Hospital Overcharges: Bill for Broken Leg Comes In At $63,000 By Gordon Gibb (Dec-24-13)
- Her PhD Cost 213K— It’s Enough to Make You Cry By Brenda Craig (Nov-26-13)
- Mother Blames Monster Energy Drink for Daughter’s Chest Pains By Jane Mundy (Jun-27-13)
- S&P Faces Federal Lawsuit over 2008 Financial Crisis By Lucy Campbell (Feb-11-13)
- LawyersandSettlements.com Reports 70 Percent Spike in Mortgage Claims By Gordon Gibb (Oct-13-12)
- Citizens Bank Settles Overdraft Fee Class Action Lawsuit for $137.5M By Abi Kistler (Apr-25-12)