LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Elder Care Legal News Articles & Interviews
May 12, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Aegis Nursing Homes Offers $16M Elder Care Abuse Deal ]
Redmond, WA Residents of the nursing home chain “Aegis Senior Communities” have asked a California federal judge to approve a 16.25 million settlement that would resolve care center lawsuits alleging nursing home abuse.
March 28, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ New Jersey Nursing Homes Operator Counting on Protocol to Dismiss Lawsuit ]
Lafayette, NJ The Andover nursing homes operator is facing a proposed class action lawsuit claiming poor treatment of residents before and during the COVID-19 pandemic. He argued in federal court to dismiss the nursing home abuse complaint based on state and federal law virus protocol.
March 2, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Repeated Sexual Abuse in Nursing Home Criminal ]
Oswego, NY A female resident in Pontiac Nursing Home in Oswego suffering from dementia was sexually abused three times by another resident who was admitted to Pontiac in 2019. Management declined to tell Pontiac’s doctor and other employees that he was a known sexual offender.
June 21, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Santa Cruz, CA: Inheritance lawyers have heard it all at this point: you don’t need a Will or a trust fund because you are not rich, own everything with a spouse, have wandered through the house putting little yellow sticky notes on the pictures and the silverware describing who should get them, and besides, you’re young and go to the gym.Read [ Why You Need an Estate Plan ]
Federal Government Discourages Penalties for Nursing Home Abuse Despite Report Calling for More Oversight
May 24, 2018. By Lori Prapas.
New York, NY: Since 2017, the Trump administration has been rolling back Obama-era rules intended to protect patients from elder care neglect. Since 2016, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), part of the Federal Department of Health and Human Services, has been making rules that prevent victims of nursing home injury from bringing civil lawsuits to recover damages for neglect and abuse. Then in 2017, CMS discouraged its regional offices from fining care centers for one-time violations and issued a memo discouraging directors of state agencies from issuing daily fines for certain violations.Read [ Federal Government Discourages Penalties for Nursing Home Abuse Despite Report Calling for More Oversight ]
June 30, 2015. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Lawyer Tackles Elder Abuse in Financial Services Industry ]
Beverly Hills, CA A 2015 report produced by True Link Financial estimates that the amount lost by senior citizens through financial elder abuse in the US is at a staggering $36.48 billion annually. That number surges well past a previous MetLife Institute report in 2011 that estimated the amount to be $2.9 billion.
October 14, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Courts Continue to Quash Nursing Home Arbitration Agreements ]
Reading, PA When one thinks of nursing home abuse, it would be expected to assume images of mistreatment of the resident through either elder care neglect, or antagonistic and grounds of physical abuse.
December 11, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Elder Financial Abuse: Whom Do You Trust? ]
Orange, CA Retired attorney Peter T. Hoss, who advocates for seniors and contributes a column to the Monterey County Herald (12/9/13), writes that trust is an important component of aging. As seniors become less capable in their financial affairs or lose a spouse who handled the family finances, putting one’s trust in an individual while not falling victim to elder abuse financial exploitation is not an easy task.
December 1, 2013. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Follow the Money Says Elder Fraud Attorney ]
Walnut Creek, CADefrauding elderly Americans of their life savings is a multibillion-dollar problem in the United States. Attorney Craig Niven’s law practice partly focuses on trying to recover assets for seniors who have fallen prey to the perpetrators of all kinds of cruel construction and real estate swindles.
November 29, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Charges Filed in California Financial Elder Abuse Case ]
Los Angeles, CA With the rate of financial elder abuse reportedly on the rise, states such as California are attempting to prevent elderly financial abuse. To that end, charges have reportedly been laid against a man who allegedly committed elder exploitation by stealing from his aunt.
- Outrage Over Financial Exploitation of Elderly Drives California Lawyer By Brenda Craig (Nov-23-13)
- Financial Elder Abuse Not What the Doctor Ordered By Gordon Gibb (Nov-15-13)
- YMCA Fights for Its License following Allegations of Care Center Abuse By Gordon Gibb (Nov-1-13)
- How Psychologists Can Help Prosecute Elder Fraud By Brenda Craig (Oct-31-13)
- How Financial Elder Abuse Works By Brenda Craig (Oct-29-13)
- Financial Elder Abuse: “We’re Targets,” Says Advocate for Change By Gordon Gibb (Oct-27-13)
- Washington State Tough on Elder Fraud By Brenda Craig (Oct-24-13)
- Man Wins $1.2 Billion in Nursing Home Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Aug-15-13)
- Financial Elder Abuse Often Perpetrated by Trusted Family and Friends By Heidi Turner (Aug-6-13)
- Nursing Home Abuse Results in Charges for 21 Employees By Heidi Turner (Jul-15-13)
- California Chain Cited for Care Center Abuse Twice in Three Years By Gordon Gibb (Apr-19-13)
- Care Center Abuse Uncovered through Hidden Cameras By Heidi Turner (Mar-17-13)
- Disability Center Loses Funding Over Care Center Abuse By Heidi Turner (Feb-12-13)
- Inspections Show Serious Incidences of Care Center Abuse By Heidi Turner (Jan-17-13)
- The Difficulty with Care Center Abuse Cases By Heidi Turner (Dec-13-12)
- More Allegations of Care Center Abuse at Florida Facility By Heidi Turner (Nov-15-12)
- Propecia Side Effects Difficult to Discuss By Heidi Turner (Nov-4-12)
- Lawsuit Filed Against Brain Center By Heidi Turner (Oct-17-12)
- Fatal Attack of Elderly Woman in NJ Alzheimer's Facility By Abi Kistler (Sep-20-12)
- Wrongful Death Lawsuit Filed Against Assisted Living Center By Heidi Turner (Jul-1-12)
- Lawsuits Allege Care Center Abuse By Heidi Turner (Jun-6-12)
- Seniors: Beware of Long Term Disability Care Insurance Scammers By Gordon Gibb (May-31-12)
- Record-Setting Verdict in Nursing Home Abuse Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Feb-6-12)
- Questionable Deaths Reported in Florida's Assisted Living Facilities By Lucy Campbell (May-11-11)
- Nursing Home Abuse Criminal By Jane Mundy (Apr-27-11)
- Outbreaks of Hospital Superbug CRKP on the Rise in California By Lucy Campbell (Mar-29-11)
- Mickey Rooney Charges Step Children with Elder Abuse By Lucy Campbell (Mar-2-11)
- Families Should Be on Guard for Nursing Home Neglect By Brenda Craig (Feb-4-11)
- Man Sentenced to 17 Years for Raping a 94-Year Old Nursing Home Resident By Lucy Campbell (Jan-29-11)
- Sexual Violence Against Female Residents of Chicago Nursing Homes By Lucy Campbell (Jan-28-11)
- Lawsuit Filed over Illinois Nursing Home Abuse By Charles Benson (Jan-24-11)
- Second Suspect Arrested in Care Facility Abuse Case By Lucy Campbell (Jan-19-11)
- More Allegations of Illinois Nursing Home Abuse against Nursing Home By Heidi Turner (Jan-17-11)
- Reform for Illinois Nursing Homes Came Too Late for Some By Gordon Gibb (Jan-7-11)
- Nursing Home Workers Sentenced in Nursing Home Abuse Cases By Heidi Turner (Dec-29-10)
- Troubled Illinois Nursing Home Under New Management By Gordon Gibb (Dec-23-10)
- Seniors at Risk of Illinois Nursing Home Abuse By Heidi Turner (Dec-14-10)
- Woman Charged with Illinois Nursing Home Abuse By Charles Benson (Dec-3-10)
- Illinois Nursing Home Abuse Isn't Sole Domain of the Elderly By Gordon Gibb (Nov-8-10)
- Victim Barred from Testifying in Nursing Home Abuse Case By Charles Benson (Nov-3-10)