LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Insurance Legal News Articles & Interviews
May 26, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ New York Insurance Bill Addresses Bad Faith Insurance Practices ]
Albany, NY On May 18, New York Senate Bill 6813 (S6813) was referred to the Senate Insurance Committee. If enacted into law, it would add a new Section 2601-a to the New York Insurance law. Proponents of the legislation see an opportunity to address the problem of insurance companies’ bad faith insurance claim practices. Detractors predict the opening of the proverbial floodgates to insurance lawsuits. Similar legislation has died in committee before.
May 21, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Opportunity to Overcharge ]
Houston, TX Nick was working at his home office when he suddenly felt the left side of his body go numb and a searing pain in his lower back. “Thank God my wife was home. She drove me to the nearest urgent care center but a sign on the door said it was “running at capacity” and couldn’t see any patients that day,” says Nick. “We googled the nearest emergency room—at this point I was almost passing out. And I almost passed out two weeks later when my ER bill came in the mail. I’d heard about ER overcharges but this was ridiculous!”
April 14, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Overcharges Complaints Outrageous but True ]
Santa Clara, CA Many emergency room overcharges complaints submitted to LawyersandSettlements are so outrageous they seem fictional. Sadly, they are true. In each complaint below, the patient’s bill isn’t even close to the “going rate”.
April 1, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Overcharges Attorney Helps—if you are Committed ]
Los Angeles, CA Attorney Barry Kramer may be able to get your emergency room services reduced, but his goal is to change the hospital system and stop ER overcharges for everyone. If you think your hospital has overcharged you for their services and you’re willing to go the distance, and if you want to make a difference and help others, read on.
March 22, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ PG&E Executives Sued Personally for California Wildfire Damage ]
San Francisco, CA On February 24, victims of deadly 2017 and 2018 California wildfires filed a lawsuit in San Francisco Superior Court seeking to hold former officers and directors of PG&E liable for failing to protect them from the harm that followed from the 2018 Camp Fire and the 2017 North Bay Fires. In addition to devastating personal and property loss, many California homeowners whose homes were burned also found themselves the victims of bad faith insurance denials. Justice John Trotter (Ret.), Trustee of the PG &E Fire Victim Trust v. Lewis Chew seeks to redress these harms in a direct way – by suing those responsible for putting corporate profits and their own financial interest ahead of their fiduciary duty to protect public safety.
March 1, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ California Wildfire Bad Faith Insurance Denial Lawsuits Get New Life ]
San Francisco, CA In May 2020, the California Court of Appeal for the First Appellate District reversed the trial court’s grant of summary judgment to State Farm Insurance Co. Leonard and Patricia Fadeeff challenged the insurer’s denial of their claim for damage to their home in the 2015 Valley Fire. Fadeeff v. State Farm continues to be a seminal case in California bad faith insurance denial lawsuits.
February 28, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Two Former Cardiologists Awarded $10.6 million for Reporting Patient Care Problems and Overcharging ]
Detroit, MI Tenet Healthcare was accused of acting with malice when a Michigan hospital demoted two cardiologists after the complained about cost-cutting measures, overcharging and substandard patient care. The doctors filed a False Claims lawsuit and retaliation is costly—to the tune of $10.6M.
February 24, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Denied Insurance Coverage for Proton Beam Therapy ]
Santa Clara, CA Proton beam radiation therapy (PBRT) is purportedly a safer and more effective cancer treatment than x-ray or photon-based treatments and less invasive than surgery, but some insurance companies deny coverage, which has led to bad faith insurance lawsuits.
February 17, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ COVID Long-Haulers Prepare for Wrongly Denied Disability Claims ]
Washington, DCCOVID long-haulers, who suffer from debilitating COVID symptoms long after an initial infection, have had their complaints dismissed as “malingering.” The cruelest cut of all, though, may be the financial blow that lands when long term disability benefit claims are denied. As yet, there are few reported COVID related long term denied disability lawsuits, but long-haulers should anticipate that they are just around the corner.
June 16, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Insured Californians Getting Gouged by Out-of-Network Providers ]
Santa Clara, CA Back in 2017, a law was passed to protect Californians against surprise medical bills for non-emergency care. Before that, AB1611 was proposed: it was supposed to protect against emergency room overcharges but California consumers are still getting gouged by out-of-network providers.
- Getting Caught Can Reduce Emergency Room Overcharges By Jane Mundy (May-14-20)
- Patients Battle Surprise Emergency Room Charges By Anne Wallace (Feb-20-19)
- Discrepancies in Emergency Room Overcharges Cause Frustration and Financial Woes By Jane Mundy (Feb-11-19)
- LTD Claimants Win Big as Ninth Circuit Trims “Abuse of Discretion” Standard By Anne Wallace (Jan-11-19)
- ER Charges: Underserved and Over-Charged thanks to Upcoding By Jane Mundy (Jan-10-19)
- Unum Disability Insurance Claimant Wins Reinstatement of LTD Benefits By Anne Wallace (Jan-8-19)
- Jury Awards $25.6 Million in Bad Faith Insurance Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Dec-17-18)
- Unum: the Gift of Giving and Taking Away By Jane Mundy (Dec-6-18)
- Fibromyalgia Sufferer Brings LTD Lawsuit against Life Insurance Co. of North America By Anne Wallace (Nov-16-18)
- Unum’s Denial of Opioid Overdose Deaths By Jane Mundy (Nov-15-18)
- United Healthcare Faces Class Action Lawsuit For 'Arbitrary' Therapy Payment Policy By Jane Mundy (Nov-12-18)
- Is a Health Plan Liable for the Negligence of an Unqualified Claims Reviewer? By Anne Wallace (Oct-23-18)
- UNUM LTD Claimants Must Beware of Exhaustion of Remedies Roadblock By Anne Wallace (Oct-15-18)
- Mother with Post-Partum Depression Denied Disability Benefits by Hartford By Jane Mundy (Oct-10-18)
- Prosthetic Denial Lawsuits Filed against UnitedHealth Group and Anthem under ERISA By Jane Mundy (Sep-24-18)
- Amputees Fighting for Insurance Coverage Get Tips from Blue Cross Antitrust Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Sep-20-18)
- Wheeler v. Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Seeks LTD Benefits for Injured Seaman By Anne Wallace (Sep-14-18)
- Dentist Claims Injury, Unum Claims Sickness to Deny By Jane Mundy (Sep-13-18)
- Amputees’ Fight for Insurance Coverage Focuses on ‘Medical Necessity’ of Microprocessor Prosthetics By Anne Wallace (Sep-4-18)
- Aetna Denies Disability – Is there a Doctor in the House? By Jane Mundy (Sep-3-18)
- Lawsuits Brewing over Insurance Denials for “Smart” Prostheses By Anne Wallace (Aug-21-18)
- Disability Claims Consultant Explains Unum’s Latest Practice to Dispute or Deny Long Term Disability Benefits By Jane Mundy (Aug-14-18)
- Hartford Insurance Denies Disability Benefits and Pays Millions to bail out a town By Jane Mundy (Aug-13-18)
- Anthem Denials of Emergency Room CT Scans and MRIs; Patients Sent to Clinics By Anne Wallace (Aug-6-18)
- Sen. McCaskill Probes Anthem Emergency Room Coverage Denials By Anne Wallace (Jul-28-18)
- Summary Judgment for Lincoln National in Barber v. Lincoln National Life Insurance Company By Anne Wallace (Jul-25-18)
- Anthem Refuses to Cover Emergency Room Care After the Fact By Anne Wallace (Jul-18-18)
- Court Orders Unum Doctor to Reveal How Much He Was Paid for His Opinion By Lori Prapas (Jul-17-18)
- Surveillance Sinks Liberty Mutual Long Term Denied Disability Lawsuits By Anne Wallace (Jul-12-18)
- MetLife Refuses to Disclose Background Claim Processing Principles By Anne Wallace (Jun-28-18)
- Big Law Employee Sues Unum Group for Denial of Benefits By Lori Prapas (Jun-22-18)
- Ninth Circuit Champions Wrongly Denied Disability Claimant By Anne Wallace (Jun-8-18)
- Unum Insurance Lawsuits Gain Momentum By Lori Prapas (May-18-18)
- Fibromyalgia sufferer wins denied disability claim lawsuit against Hartford By Anne Wallace (May-4-18)
- Another Chance after LTD Denial? Arbitrary and Capricious Standard Continues to Crumble in MetLife Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Apr-25-18)
- Unum: You Win Some, You Lose Some By Gordon Gibb (Mar-26-18)
- Liberty Mutual Administrator Must Consider Evidence of 'Broken Heart' By Anne Wallace (Mar-13-18)
- A Tale of Two Unum Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (Mar-12-18)
- A New Way for Unum Lawsuit Plaintiffs to Fight Biased Medical Review By Anne Wallace (Mar-5-18)
- Diagnosed with Lyme Disease, Plaintiff is Denied by Unum Disability Insurance By Gordon Gibb (Feb-14-18)