LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Insurance Legal News Articles & Interviews
December 21, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ TeamHealth vs. United HealthCare Services ]
Knoxville, TN UnitedHealthcare claims that TeamHealth has submitted fraudulent claims to the insurer, to the tune of more than $100 million. The ER fees lawsuit claims that the emergency room staffing and billing company has been upcoding—using codes to deceive the insurer into overpaying—since 2016.
November 30, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ ER Charged $1,200 for Nosebleed ]
Kansas City, KS Tony woke up late Saturday night with a nosebleed and not knowing what to do, his son drove him to emergency room at St. Lukes South Hospital. When Tony got the bill in the mail he almost had a stroke--a doctor had simply inserted into his nose a cotton ball sprayed with decongestant, which took a few minutes, but he was billed $1,200. There had to be an error.
November 28, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Physician Billed Exorbitant ER Overcharges ]
San Diego, CA “Not only are these inflated ER overcharges unethical – I don’t understand how medical professionals can charge exorbitant fees for such little work,” says Michael Cutler MD, an urgent care physician. “People were ordering tests before the doctor even came in the door.”
November 12, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Patient is Charged ER Fees Without Being Seen ]
Atlanta, GA After waiting in the Emory Decatur Hospital ER for seven hours to treat a head injury, Taylor Davis couldn’t wait any longer and went home. She later received an emergency room bill for $688.35. Are you familiar with the old English proverb that “Children should be seen and not heard”? Here’s a new American phrase: “Patients are charged for not being seen.”
August 18, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Patients “Deceived” and “Scammed” by ER Fees ]
Santa Clara, CA Patients treated at ER, sometimes for minor issues, say they aren’t told their insurance is out-of-network and that emergency room fees, including certain tests and procedures, will wind up costing them thousands and thousands of dollars.
July 16, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Overcharges Patient now Debt Collector Victim ]
Arley, AL Catrina arrived at the hospital emergency room bent over in pain--three days later she was sent home after having her gallbladder removed. The surgery went well--until the bills arrived. Particularly galling was a CT Scan charge about three times more than the national average cost--a typical example of ER overcharges. (Granted, scans are typically more expensive when ordered in an ER.) Her total bill rings in at 86,381.04.
May 26, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ New York Insurance Bill Addresses Bad Faith Insurance Practices ]
Albany, NY On May 18, New York Senate Bill 6813 (S6813) was referred to the Senate Insurance Committee. If enacted into law, it would add a new Section 2601-a to the New York Insurance law. Proponents of the legislation see an opportunity to address the problem of insurance companies’ bad faith insurance claim practices. Detractors predict the opening of the proverbial floodgates to insurance lawsuits. Similar legislation has died in committee before.
May 21, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Opportunity to Overcharge ]
Houston, TX Nick was working at his home office when he suddenly felt the left side of his body go numb and a searing pain in his lower back. “Thank God my wife was home. She drove me to the nearest urgent care center but a sign on the door said it was “running at capacity” and couldn’t see any patients that day,” says Nick. “We googled the nearest emergency room—at this point I was almost passing out. And I almost passed out two weeks later when my ER bill came in the mail. I’d heard about ER overcharges but this was ridiculous!”
April 14, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Overcharges Complaints Outrageous but True ]
Santa Clara, CA Many emergency room overcharges complaints submitted to LawyersandSettlements are so outrageous they seem fictional. Sadly, they are true. In each complaint below, the patient’s bill isn’t even close to the “going rate”.
April 1, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Overcharges Attorney Helps—if you are Committed ]
Los Angeles, CA Attorney Barry Kramer may be able to get your emergency room services reduced, but his goal is to change the hospital system and stop ER overcharges for everyone. If you think your hospital has overcharged you for their services and you’re willing to go the distance, and if you want to make a difference and help others, read on.
- PG&E Executives Sued Personally for California Wildfire Damage By Anne Wallace (Mar-22-21)
- California Wildfire Bad Faith Insurance Denial Lawsuits Get New Life By Anne Wallace (Mar-1-21)
- Two Former Cardiologists Awarded $10.6 million for Reporting Patient Care Problems and Overcharging By Jane Mundy (Feb-28-21)
- Denied Insurance Coverage for Proton Beam Therapy By Jane Mundy (Feb-24-21)
- COVID Long-Haulers Prepare for Wrongly Denied Disability Claims By Anne Wallace (Feb-17-21)
- Insured Californians Getting Gouged by Out-of-Network Providers By Jane Mundy (Jun-16-20)
- Getting Caught Can Reduce Emergency Room Overcharges By Jane Mundy (May-14-20)
- Patients Battle Surprise Emergency Room Charges By Anne Wallace (Feb-20-19)
- Discrepancies in Emergency Room Overcharges Cause Frustration and Financial Woes By Jane Mundy (Feb-11-19)
- LTD Claimants Win Big as Ninth Circuit Trims “Abuse of Discretion” Standard By Anne Wallace (Jan-11-19)
- ER Charges: Underserved and Over-Charged thanks to Upcoding By Jane Mundy (Jan-10-19)
- Unum Disability Insurance Claimant Wins Reinstatement of LTD Benefits By Anne Wallace (Jan-8-19)
- Jury Awards $25.6 Million in Bad Faith Insurance Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Dec-17-18)
- Unum: the Gift of Giving and Taking Away By Jane Mundy (Dec-6-18)
- Fibromyalgia Sufferer Brings LTD Lawsuit against Life Insurance Co. of North America By Anne Wallace (Nov-16-18)
- Unum’s Denial of Opioid Overdose Deaths By Jane Mundy (Nov-15-18)
- United Healthcare Faces Class Action Lawsuit For 'Arbitrary' Therapy Payment Policy By Jane Mundy (Nov-12-18)
- Is a Health Plan Liable for the Negligence of an Unqualified Claims Reviewer? By Anne Wallace (Oct-23-18)
- UNUM LTD Claimants Must Beware of Exhaustion of Remedies Roadblock By Anne Wallace (Oct-15-18)
- Mother with Post-Partum Depression Denied Disability Benefits by Hartford By Jane Mundy (Oct-10-18)
- Prosthetic Denial Lawsuits Filed against UnitedHealth Group and Anthem under ERISA By Jane Mundy (Sep-24-18)
- Amputees Fighting for Insurance Coverage Get Tips from Blue Cross Antitrust Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Sep-20-18)
- Wheeler v. Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Seeks LTD Benefits for Injured Seaman By Anne Wallace (Sep-14-18)
- Dentist Claims Injury, Unum Claims Sickness to Deny By Jane Mundy (Sep-13-18)
- Amputees’ Fight for Insurance Coverage Focuses on ‘Medical Necessity’ of Microprocessor Prosthetics By Anne Wallace (Sep-4-18)
- Aetna Denies Disability – Is there a Doctor in the House? By Jane Mundy (Sep-3-18)
- Lawsuits Brewing over Insurance Denials for “Smart” Prostheses By Anne Wallace (Aug-21-18)
- Disability Claims Consultant Explains Unum’s Latest Practice to Dispute or Deny Long Term Disability Benefits By Jane Mundy (Aug-14-18)
- Hartford Insurance Denies Disability Benefits and Pays Millions to bail out a town By Jane Mundy (Aug-13-18)
- Anthem Denials of Emergency Room CT Scans and MRIs; Patients Sent to Clinics By Anne Wallace (Aug-6-18)
- Sen. McCaskill Probes Anthem Emergency Room Coverage Denials By Anne Wallace (Jul-28-18)
- Summary Judgment for Lincoln National in Barber v. Lincoln National Life Insurance Company By Anne Wallace (Jul-25-18)
- Anthem Refuses to Cover Emergency Room Care After the Fact By Anne Wallace (Jul-18-18)
- Court Orders Unum Doctor to Reveal How Much He Was Paid for His Opinion By Lori Prapas (Jul-17-18)
- Surveillance Sinks Liberty Mutual Long Term Denied Disability Lawsuits By Anne Wallace (Jul-12-18)
- MetLife Refuses to Disclose Background Claim Processing Principles By Anne Wallace (Jun-28-18)
- Big Law Employee Sues Unum Group for Denial of Benefits By Lori Prapas (Jun-22-18)
- Ninth Circuit Champions Wrongly Denied Disability Claimant By Anne Wallace (Jun-8-18)
- Unum Insurance Lawsuits Gain Momentum By Lori Prapas (May-18-18)
- Fibromyalgia sufferer wins denied disability claim lawsuit against Hartford By Anne Wallace (May-4-18)