LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Legal News Articles & Interviews
Farmers Insurance Cleared of Age Discrimination
May 30, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Los Angeles, CA After an eight-week trial and two days of deliberations, Farmers Group Inc. has been cleared of discrimination and wrongful termination charges. Former California-based insurance agents claimed they were discriminated against for their age and fired to be replaced by younger, ostensibly more productive workers. However, jurors determined that, because the four plaintiffs were independent contractors, Farmers Group did not violate California employment law.
State AGs Join Opposition to LTL Bankruptcy in Talcum Powder Lawsuits
May 29, 2023. By Anne Wallace.
Newark, NJ On May 10, the states of New Mexico and Mississippi joined cancer victims and the U.S. Department of Justice in moving to dismiss the latest LTL bankruptcy petition. The bankruptcy is an essential element of Johnson & Johnson’s $8.9 billion offer to settle all outstanding and future talcum powder lawsuits. Of that $8.9 billion, $400 million is reportedly to be set aside to settle state consumer protection lawsuits. That is news.
Hair Relaxer Lawsuit Update
May 28, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Santa Clara, CA Due to so many hair straightener lawsuits filed since a study found the products linked to certain cancers, a multi-district litigation (MDL) has been established in the Northern District of Illinois to consolidate all hair relaxer lawsuits. Recent complaints also allege the hair relaxer products cause fertility problems. Lawsuits against L’Oreal and other hair relaxer manufacturers have skyrocketed, however Revlon was not officially named in lawsuits because the cosmetic giant filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy last June – one week before the NHI study was released that triggered hair relaxer litigation.
PFAS Linked to Obesity
May 26, 2023. By Anne Wallace.
Kingston, RI A University of Rhode Island study has confirmed that increased PFAS content in blood promotes weight gain and makes it harder to keep a lower body weight after weight loss. Perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl (PFAS/PFOA) “forever chemicals” have previously been linked to a variety of health conditions, including cancers, liver disease and thyroid disease. The newly-found connection with obesity effectively doubles the health risks caused by this environmental contaminant.
Four Things You Can Expect in Probate Court
May 25, 2023. By LAS Staff Writer.
Chicago, IL The biggest problem after a loved one passes on is how to fulfill their wishes about wealth distribution as outlined in the Will. The named heirs and other interested parties may disagree with the Will, pushing the matter to court. Establishing trusts is a good way of avoiding the probate courts, but disputes still arise, prompting litigation.
Philips CPAP Recall and Test Results Update
May 24, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Santa Clara, CA Phillips Respironics, manufacturer of CPAP/ BiPAP sleep machines, on May 16 announced test results of its recalled devices. About two weeks previously the company announced it has set aside another $630 million to settle CPAP lawsuits, adding to $1 billion already earmarked to cover the cost of recalling, replacing or repairing millions of its recalled sleep apnea machines.
Enfamil Linked to Preemie Blindness, Cerebral Palsy
May 23, 2023. By Anne Wallace.
Evansville, IN On April 17, Sandra Hayes sued Mead Johnson & Company, alleging that the baby formula manufacturer was responsible for injuring Adam Hayes shortly after his birth. The necrotizing enterocolitis lawsuit details baby Adam’s injuries including partial blindness and cerebral palsy brought on by his consumption of Enfamil Premature 24, a cow’s milk-based formula in the days after his early birth.
Chicago's Healthcare Landscape: Legal Considerations for Providers and Patients
May 22, 2023. By LAS Staff Writer.
Chicago, ILAs part of Illinois, Chicago has a diverse healthcare landscape that includes numerous hospitals, clinics, and private practices. The City of Chicago generally has a sufficient medical setup for its residents. However, being such a large and bustling densely-populated economic hub, cases in which people getting injured due to the negligence of medical practitioners are not uncommon. When medical providers or professionals provide care that falls below the minimum standard of care set by regulators, it constitutes medical negligence. This can cause injury or death to a patient. The United States witnesses 33,333 deaths linked to medical negligence every month. If you live in the Chicago area and are injured in the care of a hospital or medical professional, a Chicago surgical error attorney can help you file a claim for medical negligence damages compensation.
Tegria Software Employees allege 80-hour Weeks without Overtime
May 21, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Santa Clara, CA Former Tegria workers have filed a proposed class and collective action claiming the company, which provides consulting and technology services to healthcare clients, failed to pay overtime to consultants who “routinely” worked over 40 hours and often more than 80 hours per week, a violation of the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
San Francisco Superior Court: Pay Banquet Servers $9 Million
May 18, 2023. By Anne Wallace.
San Francisco, CAIn John Ordono et al. v Marriott International Inc., San Francisco Superior Court Judge Ethan P. Schulman has tentatively found that banquet servers were entitled to $8.97 million because reasonable customers might have concluded that mandatory service charges were intended as gratuities. Under California Labor Code 351, gratuities or tips belong to employees, and employers may not take them or deduct any amount from a worker's wages.
- ERISA Lawsuits Target Environmental, Social and Governance Factors in Plan Asset Decisions By Anne Wallace (May-16-23)
- Why Distracted Driving Cases Can Be Tough To Prove Without A Lawyer By LAS Staff Writer (May-15-23)
- Five Guys and California Plaintiff’s Fifth Agreement Nearing Settlement By Jane Mundy (May-12-23)
- Another WARN complaint Hurled at Twitter By Jane Mundy (May-9-23)
- Ninth Circuit Overturns California’s “No Forced Arbitration Law” By Anne Wallace (Apr-30-23)
- Johnson & Johnson Offers $8.9 Billion to Settle Talcum Powder Lawsuits By Anne Wallace (Apr-29-23)
- Community Hospice Slammed with California Wage and Hour Class Action By Jane Mundy (Apr-28-23)
- SAG-AFTRA Health Plan To Pay $15M To Wrap ERISA Suit By LAS Staff Writer (Apr-27-23)
- Can PFAS and PFOAs be Scrubbed from Drinking Water? By Anne Wallace (Apr-27-23)
- New Study Links Monsanto’s Roundup to Children’s Liver Disease By Jane Mundy (Apr-21-23)
- 6 Ways Motorcycle Accident Victims Can Receive Maximum Compensation with a Personal Injury Lawyer By LAS Staff Writer (Apr-20-23)
- Grubhub Owes Misclassified Former Driver $65 – with Implications By Jane Mundy (Apr-17-23)
- Trial Set for Bard Hernia Mesh Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Apr-14-23)
- Camp LeJeune First Hearing By Jane Mundy (Apr-13-23)
- West Marine Products to Settle California Labor Law Violations By Jane Mundy (Apr-12-23)
- Walmart Faces More Discrimination Complaints By Jane Mundy (Apr-10-23)
- Hair Straightener Lawsuits Growing By Jane Mundy (Apr-6-23)
- CPAP Sleep Machine Recall Update By Jane Mundy (Apr-5-23)
- What Now? Retirement Plan Cybertheft Is ERISA Lawsuit To Watch By Anne Wallace (Apr-3-23)
- Investigating the California Wage Theft Investigators By Jane Mundy (Mar-30-23)
- Camp Lejeune Litigation Logjam By Jane Mundy (Mar-29-23)
- Gaming Giant to Settle ERISA Lawsuit for $5.5 Million By Anne Wallace (Mar-28-23)
- Camp LeJeune Contaminated Water Lawsuits – Where’s the Flood? By Anne Wallace (Mar-25-23)
- Department of Defense Testing for Veterans’ Hearing Loss Falls on Deaf Ears at 3M By Jane Mundy (Mar-23-23)
- Bloomingdale’s and Macy’s Slammed with California labor lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Mar-22-23)
- Cumulus Media Settles ERISA class action for $1M By Jane Mundy (Mar-21-23)
- Thinx, Inc. to Settle PFAS/PFOA Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Mar-20-23)
- All You Need to Know About Filing a Claim After a Truck Accident By LAS Staff Writer (Mar-19-23)
- Another Overtime Complaint filed against Dr. Pepper By Jane Mundy (Mar-12-23)
- Virgin, Alaska Air Workers to Receive Almost $31M in California Wages Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Mar-9-23)
- Lowe’s Class Action Alleges California Wage and Hour Violations By Jane Mundy (Mar-7-23)
- California Labor Contractor to Pay Farmworkers Damages and Penalties By Jane Mundy (Mar-6-23)
- United Airlines California Wage Statement Settlement By Jane Mundy (Feb-21-23)
- How to File a Claim for a Multi-car Pileup By LAS Staff Writer (Feb-20-23)
- California Wage Theft Rampant By Jane Mundy (Feb-16-23)
- Kroger Slammed with Wage Theft Class Action Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Feb-14-23)
- California Ranch Operator Says Judge is Biased in Second Wage Theft Class Action By Jane Mundy (Feb-9-23)
- In Utah Nonpatients Can Sue for Medical Malpractice (Sometimes) By Anne Wallace (Feb-7-23)
- Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Lawsuits Rising By Jane Mundy (Feb-3-23)
- ERISA Lawsuit Settlement Hits Stumbling Block By Anne Wallace (Jan-30-23)