LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Legal News Articles & Interviews
May 13, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Denver, CO On April 27, the federal District Court for the District of Colorado granted conditional certification to a class of plaintiffs who brought unpaid wage claims against Helix TCS, a cannabis security company. The defendant employer began almost immediately to try to mitigate the financial impact that a successful collective action lawsuit might have under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
May 12, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Redmond, WA Residents of the nursing home chain “Aegis Senior Communities” have asked a California federal judge to approve a 16.25 million settlement that would resolve care center lawsuits alleging nursing home abuse.
May 10, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Dallas, TX On April 15, two participants in the Kimberly-Clark Corporation 401(k) & Profit Sharing Plan filed a class action ERISA lawsuit in the federal District Court for the Northern District of Texas. Seidner v. Kimberly-Clark Corp. alleges that plan fiduciaries violated ERISA by failing to monitor plan administrative expenses, thus wasting the participants’ retirement savings and depriving them of the opportunity for investment growth over time.
May 7, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
San Francisco, CA Former senior manager of PricewaterhouseCoopers claims he was fired in retaliation for a whistleblower claim he made to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). Mauro Botta was an auditor at the behemoth auditing company for almost two decades until he was fired in 2017.
May 6, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Houston, TX On April 20, the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas adopted the Magistrate Judge’s recommendation to grant conditional certification to a class of oil drilling workers who sought to pursue a collective action under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Young v. Energy Drilling Company advances unpaid wages claims that Energy Drilling willfully miscalculated the workers’ overtime pay.
April 27, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
San Francisco, CA On April 1, the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation denied Monsanto Company’s request that it reconsider its decision to include National Black Farmers Association v. Monsanto Co. in the Multidistrict Litigation (MDL), consolidated in the Northern District of California. National Black Farmers Association, a Monsanto glyphosate lawsuit, focuses on the harms suffered by the rural Black farmers who make up its membership.
April 26, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Riverside, CA On March 15, Jose Hernandez Solis filed a California labor lawsuit against The Merchant of Tennis, where he was a non-exempt hourly employee. Hernandez Solis v. The Merchant of Tennis claims that the sporting goods retailer incorrectly calculated Mr. Solis’s overtime and failed to compensate him for time spent undergoing temperature screenings required before each shift. In addition, the Complaint alleges that non-exempt employees were not permitted to take duty-free rest breaks required by the California Labor Code and Wage Order No. 7 and that his employer failed to promptly pay him all wages due at the termination of employment. The California Unfair Competition claims rise out of the other charges. The lawsuit seeks class action or collective status under California and federal law.
April 23, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Washington, DC Boston Scientific will pay $188.6 million to resolve transvaginal mesh lawsuits in 47 states and the District of Columbia. This means that tens of thousands of women who have been injured by vaginal mesh implants will qualify for some restitution.
April 20, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Los Angeles, CA On March 17, the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) asked the Ninth Circuit to enforce its Order that the Hotel Bel-Air rehire workers laid off in September 2009 who reapplied for their jobs in 2011 with back pay and damages. The Order further requires the hotel to recognize Unite Here Local 11 as the workers’ bargaining representative. The important story for unionized workers or those who seek to organize is about union-busting -- hotel workers who were left without jobs and potential unpaid wages claims for more than a decade.
April 16, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Newark, NJ A wrongful death lawsuit has been filed against AstraZeneca, Merck & Co., Procter & Gamble and other manufacturers of proton pump inhibitor (PPI) drugs. Plaintiff Daisy Perez claims her husband, a New Mexico man, died of metastatic gastric cancer after taking Nexium and Prilosec.
- Walgreens Poised to Settle Pharmacy Tech Wage Lawsuit for $3.3 Million By Anne Wallace (Apr-15-21)
- Emergency Room Overcharges Complaints Outrageous but True By Jane Mundy (Apr-14-21)
- Did Detroit Edison Mislead Retirees about Benefits? By Anne Wallace (Apr-13-21)
- 7-Eleven Franchisees Glorified Managers or Business Owners? By Jane Mundy (Apr-8-21)
- Credit Union of New Jersey Hit with Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Apr-6-21)
- Insurer May Renew Defense in Tangled ESOP Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Apr-2-21)
- Emergency Room Overcharges Attorney Helps—if you are Committed By Jane Mundy (Apr-1-21)
- Insufficient Funds Charges Threaten Small-Balance Accountholders By Anne Wallace (Mar-31-21)
- City of LaCrosse sues 3M Company over PFAS Water Contamination By Anne Wallace (Mar-30-21)
- Bayer’s Roundup Settlement: A Brief History By Jane Mundy (Mar-29-21)
- New Jersey Nursing Homes Operator Counting on Protocol to Dismiss Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Mar-28-21)
- Claims of Rampant Gender Wage Discrimination at Disney By Anne Wallace (Mar-23-21)
- PG&E Executives Sued Personally for California Wildfire Damage By Anne Wallace (Mar-22-21)
- Ninth Circuit Upholds Flight Attendants’ Claims for Overtime, Rest and Meal Breaks By Anne Wallace (Mar-17-21)
- Plaintiff ‘s final rebuttal witness, a USA Navy Officer, Sinks $27 Million Claim against Asbestos Company By Jane Mundy (Mar-16-21)
- Federal Court Okays Class Action Status for 401k Mismanagement Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Mar-15-21)
- Texas Sues Griddy Energy for Deceptive Advertising By Anne Wallace (Mar-12-21)
- California Unpaid Wages Lawsuit Targets Walmart COVID Screening By Anne Wallace (Mar-8-21)
- Employer Must Pay Attorney for Secret Settlement By Jane Mundy (Mar-7-21)
- Repeated Sexual Abuse in Nursing Home Criminal By Jane Mundy (Mar-2-21)
- California Wildfire Bad Faith Insurance Denial Lawsuits Get New Life By Anne Wallace (Mar-1-21)
- Two Former Cardiologists Awarded $10.6 million for Reporting Patient Care Problems and Overcharging By Jane Mundy (Feb-28-21)
- Ninth Circuit Sends "High-Tech Debt Trap" Lawsuit to Arbitration By Anne Wallace (Feb-27-21)
- San Diego to Pay $3.4 Million to Settle Firefighters’ Overtime Claims By Anne Wallace (Feb-26-21)
- NHTSA Orders Ford to Recall 3 Million Cars for Defective Airbags By Anne Wallace (Feb-25-21)
- Denied Insurance Coverage for Proton Beam Therapy By Jane Mundy (Feb-24-21)
- Amazon to Pay $61.7 Million to Settle FTC Charges of Tip Theft By Anne Wallace (Feb-23-21)
- Bayer’s $2billion deal to finalize future Monsanto Claims By Jane Mundy (Feb-22-21)
- Ethicon Litigation Dragging but Bellwether Trials Rescheduled By Jane Mundy (Feb-19-21)
- Proton Pump Inhibitor Maker Facing Wrongful Death Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Feb-18-21)
- COVID Long-Haulers Prepare for Wrongly Denied Disability Claims By Anne Wallace (Feb-17-21)
- Firefighting Foam $17.5M Settlement a “Huge Milestone” By Jane Mundy (Feb-16-21)
- Labor Commissioner files $1.3 million California unpaid wages lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Feb-12-21)
- California Supreme Court Says Proposition 22 is a Done Deal By Jane Mundy (Feb-11-21)
- California “New” Hero Pay for Grocery Workers Backfires By Jane Mundy (Feb-10-21)
- Northern District of Illinois Nixes Mandatory Arbitration in ERISA Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Feb-8-21)
- Terminations Main Reason for COVID-19 Workplace-Related Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Jan-31-21)
- Erik Abrahamson: Personal Injury Lawyer Spotlight By LAS Staff Writer (Jan-29-21)
- Whittling Down PPI Cases for Bellwether Trials By Jane Mundy (Jan-29-21)
- Forever Waiting for EPA’s Limits on PFAS “Forever Chemicals” By Jane Mundy (Jan-27-21)