LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Legal News Articles & Interviews
December 8, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Sacramento, CA California has become the nation’s employment law trendsetter. California Legislature passed, and Gov. Gavin Newsom signed, a number of new or amended California employment laws that take effect January 2024 that could impact the business and the culture of the workplace. And they can make a difference to Californians’ lives, from cannabis users to employees who have suffered a “reproductive loss event”, from miscarriage to failed adoption.
December 7, 2023. By Anne Wallace.
Seattle, WA In Wilmuth v. Amazon, three professional research team leaders filed a proposed class and collective lawsuit against Amazon.com, Inc. for its established practice of paying women less than men for similar work. It’s the usual gross, dreary, demeaning stuff that women deal with at work. But the Amazon researchers also claim that the company retaliated against them for raising the issue of gender pay discrimination. The retaliation they describe may amount to a form of wrongful termination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
December 6, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Philadelphia, PA After Bayer lost the last four Roundup trials--breaking its nine-trial winning streak, the outcome of the trial underway in Philadelphia is crucial to its investors, and to about 50,000 Roundup lawsuits it currently faces. Bayer likely rues the day in 2018 when it bought Monsanto for $63 billion.
December 4, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Santa Clara, CA Bayada Home Health Care agreed to settle for $700,000 a minimum wage and overtime lawsuit brought by a group of client service managers. The home health care provider told a New Jersey federal court that the settlement finally puts an end to six years of litigation and the workers concurred, saying that the 63 workers could lose out on any recovery should the case continue – a case that has already gone to trial once.
December 1, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Jacksonville, N.C November has been a big month for Camp Lejeune attorneys. Litigation is on track – literally. Discovery is divided into two tracks of five illnesses each and the first lawsuits are slated for 2024. The first government settlements have finally been accepted and Reuters reported an unpublished study finding elevated Camp Lejeune cancer rates at the U.S. military base, which could result in even more Camp Lejeune lawsuits.
November 30, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Atlanta, GA Since attorney Kirk Pope filed in federal court an Exactech class-action lawsuit against the orthopedic device manufacturer alleging its hip implant is defective, his civil litigation law firm Pope McGlamry is working with more clients who have had their Exactech hip recalled. “I have several clients who needed revision surgery—they have suffered terribly due to Exactech’s failure,” says attorney Pope. Their defective hip implant lawsuits claim that the Exactech implant used during a routine total hip arthroplasty surgery was defectively designed, manufactured, marketed, and sold by Exactech.
November 29, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Santa Clara, CA Pressure cooker retailers and distributors are literally under pressure to settle defective pressure cooker lawsuits. “We have successfully gone after the retailers and distributors here in the U.S. because the manufacturers in China are hard to reach,” says attorney Kirk Pope at Pope McGlamry law firm. “They all settle out of court, and most of them very quickly. Not one of our pressure cooker lawsuits has gone to trial, mainly because the defendants don’t want to expose the issue.”
November 28, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Santa Clara, CA Li-ion-powered devices are relatively safe but lithium-ion batteries have become ubiquitous. They are the power source for so many electronic devices, not just smartphones and laptops. They’re in kids’ toys and medical devices, electric cars and e-bikes and even e-cigarettes. Because they have become so common, however, incidents involving lithium-ion battery fires have increased. Attorney Kirk Pope knows first-hand from his clients that these batteries can cause serious burn injuries and even death. Pope McGlamry law firm is focused on holding the manufacturers of lithium-ion batteries and the devices that use them accountable for that harm.
November 27, 2023. By Anne Wallace.
Charleston, SCOn September 13, Marye Smith filed a perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina. Smith v. 3M Company alleges that Ms. Smith developed ulcerative colitis because of years of exposure to toxic PFAS in drinking water contaminated with aqueous firefighting foam.
November 25, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Santa Clara, CA In the third hernia mesh bellwether trial in multidistrict litigation, C.R. Bard and Davol Inc. were ordered by a federal jury to pay $500,00 to a Maine man who claimed his hernia mesh caused pain and other complications. The jurors found the company liable for failure to warn, strict liability, and negligence but Bard was off the hook for any punitive damages.
- Bayer has been ordered by a Missouri jury to pay $1.56 By Jane Mundy (Nov-24-23)
- Jury Awards $107 Million in Asbestos Mesothelioma Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Nov-22-23)
- Home Healthcare Employer Settles Wage Lawsuit for $700,000 By Anne Wallace (Nov-19-23)
- Amazon Facing California Wage and Hour Proposed Class Action By Jane Mundy (Nov-17-23)
- ESG Rules for ERISA Plan Investing Survive Conservative Challenge By Anne Wallace (Nov-14-23)
- National Collegiate Athletic Association Class Action Lawsuit Going Forward By Jane Mundy (Nov-13-23)
- More Black Women Filing Hair Relaxer Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Nov-12-23)
- How to Build a Strong Criminal Defense Case By LAS Staff Writer (Nov-10-23)
- Yet Another Geico Overtime Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Nov-7-23)
- $155 Million Overtime Settlement Approved for Prison Supervisors By Jane Mundy (Nov-6-23)
- Attorney Discusses Bard Power Port Failures and Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Nov-2-23)
- Exactech Implants Worn Out Before Their Time By Jane Mundy (Oct-31-23)
- 3M’s Earplugs v. The U.S. Trustee By Jane Mundy (Oct-31-23)
- California Sues Meta Over Youth Marketing By Jane Mundy (Oct-31-23)
- Hair Relaxer Formaldehyde and the FDA’s Failure to Warn By Jane Mundy (Oct-31-23)
- Camp LeJeune Master and Short Form Complaint By Jane Mundy (Oct-30-23)
- Monsanto In and Out of Roundup’s Weeds By Jane Mundy (Oct-28-23)
- Company Secrets: Apple v. Rivos By Jane Mundy (Oct-25-23)
- Customer Service Representatives Stiffed of Pre- and Post-Shift Wages By Anne Wallace (Oct-23-23)
- Exposure to PFAS Doubles Cancer Risk in Women By Anne Wallace (Oct-18-23)
- Construction Laborers Pension Plan Sues Investment Manager for ERISA Breach By Anne Wallace (Oct-17-23)
- Equinox $36 million settlement for California Wage and Hour Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Oct-16-23)
- Background Actor Files California Labor Law Complaint against HBO By Jane Mundy (Oct-11-23)
- Philips Cuts Deal with Owners of Recalled CPAP Machines and Lawsuit Claims FDA Fails CPAP Users By Jane Mundy (Oct-9-23)
- Operators of 14 Subway Restaurants: Sell or Shutdown By Jane Mundy (Oct-4-23)
- Allianz Asset Management Settles ERISA Lawsuit for $7.5 Million By Anne Wallace (Oct-3-23)
- $12.5 Billion PFAS Settlement Revised to Extend 3M Liability By Anne Wallace (Sep-29-23)
- Amazon Unpaid Wages During COVID Screenings Settled By Jane Mundy (Sep-29-23)
- Twitter’s Age Discrimination Lawsuit Proceeds Says California Judge By Jane Mundy (Sep-27-23)
- San Francisco files Misclassification Lawsuit Against Qwick Hospitality Staffing Company By Jane Mundy (Sep-26-23)
- Experienced Birth Injury Attorneys Discuss Lawsuits and Settlements By Jane Mundy (Sep-23-23)
- Hair Relaxer Makers Splitting Hairs in Georgia Court By Jane Mundy (Sep-21-23)
- Navy Offers Elective Option to Hasten Camp Lejeune Settlements By Jane Mundy (Sep-20-23)
- Monsanto RoundUp Lawsuit Update By Jane Mundy (Sep-18-23)
- New York Pizza Shops Allegedly Pay Less than Minimum Wage By Jane Mundy (Sep-15-23)
- WestRock Disability Discrimination Lawsuit Amounts to $9.5 million By Jane Mundy (Sep-14-23)
- 3M Settles Earplug Lawsuits for $6 Billion By Jane Mundy (Sep-13-23)
- Apple Settles California Wage & Hour Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Sep-12-23)
- California Real Estate Agents Entitled to Overtime By Jane Mundy (Sep-11-23)
- New FDA Hernia Mesh Information and its Flawed 501(k) Process By Jane Mundy (Sep-6-23)