LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Legal News Articles & Interviews
March 25, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Washington, DC What, you may ask, does the Pay feature of the new smartphone app, Branch, have to do with excessive overdraft fee lawsuits? The honest answer is maybe nothing. On the other hand, it may be next new frontier for an under-regulated cash advance/overdraft fee/ payday loan industry.
March 21, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
San Francisco, CA On March 19, the jury in Hardeman v. Monsanto Co. unanimously found that RoundUp was a substantial factor in causing Edward Hardeman’s non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. This first phase of Hardeman’s Monsanto glyphosate lawsuit focused solely on scientific facts relevant to causation. The second phase will determine corporate liability, based on alleged corporate misconduct by company representatives. Monsanto and its corporate parent, Bayer AG of Germany face more than 11,000 Monsanto glyphosate lawsuits over alleged RoundUp cancer.
March 20, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Santa Barbara, CA Ardent Companies, Inc., an ExxonMobil subcontractor, has agreed to pay $2,325,000 to settle a proposed class action lawsuit alleging that oil platform workers were not paid for on-call time after their daily shifts had ended. Settlement of the California labor lawsuit will net each of the proposed class members an average of $14,828.
March 18, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Oakland, CA On March 13, a jury in California Superior Court awarded Terry Leavitt and her husband $29.4 million in the first Johnson & Johnson (J&J) talcum powder lawsuit to go to trial in 2019. Ms. Leavitt linked her mesothelioma diagnosis to her use of asbestos-contaminated J&J baby powder and Shower-to-Shower talcum powder. The verdict includes $22 million for pain and suffering, $5 million in compensatory damages, nearly $1.3 million for her medical costs and $1.2 million for lost wages.
March 13, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Charleston, WV As the nation’s largest mass tort product liability lawsuit winds to a close, those who have suffered from surgical mesh complications and their attorneys are pausing to take stock. Not everyone is happy.
March 11, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Boston, MA On February 21, 2019, Andre W. Wong, a participant in T-Mobile USA Inc.'s 401(k) plan, filed a class action ERISA lawsuit in Massachusetts District Court. The lawsuit may ultimately affect nearly every 401k plan participant in every plan that has offered investment options managed by Fidelity Investments since 2017. Wong v. FMR LLC lays out a complicated pay-to-play scheme (disarmingly and perhaps deceptively described in internal documents as “supermarket fees”).
March 11, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Los Angeles, CA Superior Court Judge Carolyn B. Kuhl has approved Jamba Juice’s offer to settle a class action California unpaid wages lawsuit for $1.95 million. The plaintiffs in Arteaga v. Jamba Juice claimed that the smoothie chain forced nearly 5,500 employees to work off the clock – through meal breaks and without proper overtime pay.
March 6, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Kansas City, MO On February 21, 2019, Jonathan Foster, an Army Reserve veteran, filed a 3M Combat Arms defective earplug lawsuit in the Western District of Missouri. He suffers from tinnitus, a symptom of permanent hearing loss, because the earplugs supplied to him by the Army during his training and subsequent deployment to Afghanistan were badly designed. They failed to protect him from the preventable harm that the manufacturer guaranteed against.
March 5, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Washington, DC The long-running Johnson & Johnson (J&J) talcum powder lawsuits have now taken a strangely contemporary turn as long-silent witnesses, both in this world and the next, tell tales. The Department of Justice (DOJ) and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) have subpoenaed corporate documents, and Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA) Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) has requested information back to 1966. Could this end the corporate stonewalling that has stymied so many J&J talcum powder lawsuits for so long?
March 4, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
San Jose, CA Centerplate of Delaware Inc. , a multinational food and beverage company, has offered to pay $5.4 million to resolve stadium workers’ claims that the company failed to pay wages required under various provisions of California labor law. Raquedan v. Centerplate accuses the company of failing to provide meal breaks and sick days; as well as failing to pay for accrued vacation days, time spent waiting at security checkpoints and the cost of uniforms.
- California Misclassified Independent Contractors Settle for Employee Status—is it the Right Choice? By Jane Mundy (Mar-1-19)
- Take the MRI, Hold the Gadolinium By Jane Mundy (Feb-27-19)
- School Bus Drivers’ Wage Lawsuit Survives Crippling Challenge By Anne Wallace (Feb-22-19)
- Patients Battle Surprise Emergency Room Charges By Anne Wallace (Feb-20-19)
- More 3M Defective Earplug Lawsuits Filed By Jane Mundy (Feb-19-19)
- Imerys Talc Claims Bankruptcy, J&J Ovarian Cancer Claims Continue By Jane Mundy (Feb-18-19)
- Washington State Employees Credit Union Settles Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit for $2.99 Million By Anne Wallace (Feb-15-19)
- Dockworkers’ ERISA Lawsuit Challenges Denial of Preapproved Benefits By Anne Wallace (Feb-14-19)
- Johnson & Johnson Settles Deceptive Hip Implant Marketing Lawsuits for $120 Million By Anne Wallace (Feb-12-19)
- Discrepancies in Emergency Room Overcharges Cause Frustration and Financial Woes By Jane Mundy (Feb-11-19)
- Trouble ahead for California trucker wage lawsuits? By Anne Wallace (Feb-7-19)
- The Labor Commissioner's Office Working California Overtime? By Jane Mundy (Feb-4-19)
- Underground Economy Keeping California’s Field Enforcers Busy By Jane Mundy (Jan-30-19)
- Credit Unions – A Case of Shutdown Shame? By Anne Wallace (Jan-24-19)
- 2018 Busy Year for HealthCare Whistleblowers By Jane Mundy (Jan-23-19)
- Tests and Studies For and Against J&J Talc - Jury Still Out By Jane Mundy (Jan-22-19)
- Wife wonders whether Father-in-Law and Husband diagnosed with Cancer is associated with Monsanto’s Roundup By Jane Mundy (Jan-16-19)
- Employee 401(k) Lawsuit Claims GE Inflated Stock Value By Anne Wallace (Jan-15-19)
- LTD Claimants Win Big as Ninth Circuit Trims “Abuse of Discretion” Standard By Anne Wallace (Jan-11-19)
- ER Charges: Underserved and Over-Charged thanks to Upcoding By Jane Mundy (Jan-10-19)
- Unum Disability Insurance Claimant Wins Reinstatement of LTD Benefits By Anne Wallace (Jan-8-19)
- Hewlett-Packard Enterprises Named in Gender Pay Discrimination Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Jan-7-19)
- The New Year Rings in New Sexual Harassment Rules, Mainly Triggered by #MeTooMovement By Jane Mundy (Jan-4-19)
- Trustmark National Bank Latest Defendant in Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Dec-21-18)
- Bayer’s Biggest Mistake –Buying Monsanto? By Jane Mundy (Dec-20-18)
- Jury Awards $25.6 Million in Bad Faith Insurance Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Dec-17-18)
- New Reuters Report Reveals J&J knew its Talcum Powder link to Asbestos and Cancer By Jane Mundy (Dec-15-18)
- “Face of Channel 4 News” Fired -- Too Old to be Female on TV By Anne Wallace (Dec-13-18)
- SEI Investments Company Accused of Self-Dealing in 401(k) Mismanagement Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Dec-12-18)
- Employers can be Liable for California Wage-Hour Violations By Jane Mundy (Dec-10-18)
- California Unpaid Wages Lawsuit Goes to Jail By Anne Wallace (Dec-7-18)
- Unum: the Gift of Giving and Taking Away By Jane Mundy (Dec-6-18)
- Discrimination Laws Upheld with Teva Claim By Jane Mundy (Dec-6-18)
- California Independent Contractor Rules Collapse in Confusion By Anne Wallace (Nov-24-18)
- Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit against DFCU Survives Motion to Dismiss By Anne Wallace (Nov-23-18)
- Monsanto has appealed a $78 million award to DeWayne Johnson, More Lawsuits Coming By Jane Mundy (Nov-23-18)
- Tennessee Drywall Workers Win Unpaid Overtime in DOL Settlement By Anne Wallace (Nov-21-18)
- Hacks, Embezzlements, and 401(k) Mismanagement – What You Can Do to Protect Your Retirement Nest Egg By Anne Wallace (Nov-17-18)
- Fibromyalgia Sufferer Brings LTD Lawsuit against Life Insurance Co. of North America By Anne Wallace (Nov-16-18)
- Unum’s Denial of Opioid Overdose Deaths By Jane Mundy (Nov-15-18)