LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Consumer Fraud Legal News Articles & Interviews
April 14, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Overcharges Complaints Outrageous but True ]
Santa Clara, CA Many emergency room overcharges complaints submitted to LawyersandSettlements are so outrageous they seem fictional. Sadly, they are true. In each complaint below, the patient’s bill isn’t even close to the “going rate”.
April 13, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Did Detroit Edison Mislead Retirees about Benefits? ]
Cincinnati, OH On March 23, the Sixth Circuit revived an ERISA lawsuit that alleges that Detroit Edison Co. misled plan participants about the benefits they could expect at retirement when the plan design was changed in 2002. The Appeals Court’s decision in Nolan v. Detroit Edison Co. gives the participants a fresh opportunity to show that the disclosure to participants about the plan’s conversion to a cash balance plan failed to meet basic ERISA requirements. Nolan seeks class action status.
April 6, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Credit Union of New Jersey Hit with Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit ]
Camden, NJ Laronda Hickmond filed a bank overdraft fees lawsuit against Credit Union of New Jersey in New Jersey District Court on March 17. Hickmond v. Credit Union of New Jersey alleges that the credit union repeatedly charged Ms. Hickmond $30 overdraft fees even though, according to the monthly account statements prepared by the credit union, her account balance never dropped into the negative. She seeks class action status for the lawsuit on behalf of herself and all similarly situated accountholders.
April 2, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Insurer May Renew Defense in Tangled ESOP Lawsuit ]
Detroit, MI On March 4, The District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan held that Great American Fidelity Insurance Co. (Great American) could renew its argument that it should not be required to defend Stout Risius Ross (Stout) against a claim by Appvion Retirement Savings and Employee Stock Ownership Plan (Appvion ESOP). Great American Fidelity Insurance Co. v. Stout Risius Ross Inc., an insurance contract claim, is one piece of the fallout from the sprawling ERISA lawsuit that includes Appvion v. Buth. The facts are complicated.
April 1, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Overcharges Attorney Helps—if you are Committed ]
Los Angeles, CA Attorney Barry Kramer may be able to get your emergency room services reduced, but his goal is to change the hospital system and stop ER overcharges for everyone. If you think your hospital has overcharged you for their services and you’re willing to go the distance, and if you want to make a difference and help others, read on.
March 31, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Insufficient Funds Charges Threaten Small-Balance Accountholders ]
Albany, NY Excessive bank fees that are based on insufficient funds (NSF) charges may pose a greater threat to checking accountholders than overdraft fees. Recent lawsuits recognize that, without protections based largely in state contract law, consumers have little protection from NSF fees that result when checks or electronic payments that are presented and re-presented multiple times without the accountholder’s permission.
March 15, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Federal Court Okays Class Action Status for 401k Mismanagement Lawsuit ]
Philadelphia, PA On March 8, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania granted class action status to plaintiffs in Boley v. Universal Health Services. The ERISA lawsuit claims that fiduciaries of the Universal Health Services Inc. Retirement Savings Plan mismanaged the 401k plan in violation of ERISA.
March 12, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Texas Sues Griddy Energy for Deceptive Advertising ]
Houston, TX On March 1, the State of Texas filed a lawsuit in Texas state court, alleging that Griddy Energy LLC misled energy consumers in violation of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices—Consumer Protection Act (DTPA). In the aftermath of the massive February winter storm, Griddy customers found themselves with the astronomical electrical bills. One Houston resident complained that Griddy debited her credit card $4,677 in one week for electricity in her 800 square foot, one-bedroom apartment: “I do not have the money to pay this bill. We need help.” Griddy also auto-debited hundreds, sometimes thousands, of dollars from consumers’ checking accounts in a period of days. These massive daily withdrawals triggered cascading bank overdraft fees.
February 28, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Two Former Cardiologists Awarded $10.6 million for Reporting Patient Care Problems and Overcharging ]
Detroit, MI Tenet Healthcare was accused of acting with malice when a Michigan hospital demoted two cardiologists after the complained about cost-cutting measures, overcharging and substandard patient care. The doctors filed a False Claims lawsuit and retaliation is costly—to the tune of $10.6M.
February 27, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Ninth Circuit Sends "High-Tech Debt Trap" Lawsuit to Arbitration ]
Los Angeles, CA On February 19, the Ninth Circuit held that a borrower, who found herself in what she described as a “high-tech debt trap,” must arbitrate her claims against the lender, having waived her right to sue. Marggieh DeCarlo was trying to build credit but instead found herself entangled instead in a ruinous web of loan charges, membership fees and bank overdraft fees.
- Northern District of Illinois Nixes Mandatory Arbitration in ERISA Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Feb-8-21)
- Motion Picture Industry ERISA Plan under the Bright, Hot Lights By Anne Wallace (Jan-18-21)
- SAG-AFTRA Health Plan Dumps Oldest Participants By Anne Wallace (Jan-8-21)
- Bank Overdraft Fees Lawsuit Stresses Lack of Consumer Sophistication, Unfair Process By Anne Wallace (Jan-6-21)
- “Abysmal” or “Too Conservative”? Supermarket ERISA Lawsuit to Settle for $17.5 Million By Anne Wallace (Dec-14-20)
- Victory for Women with Ovarian Cancer linked to Johnson & Johnson’s Talc in Missouri Court of Appeals By Jane Mundy (Jul-14-20)
- Tobacco Industry’s Back in Business with E-Cigarettes By Jane Mundy (Jun-22-20)
- The Environmental Protection Agency no longer Protecting Monsanto? By Jane Mundy (Jun-17-20)
- Insured Californians Getting Gouged by Out-of-Network Providers By Jane Mundy (Jun-16-20)
- Former Canadian Health Minister on Juul Board while Current Minister Opposes Vaping By Jane Mundy (Jun-4-20)
- Getting Caught Can Reduce Emergency Room Overcharges By Jane Mundy (May-14-20)
- E-Cig and Vape Companies Cashing in on COVID-19 By Jane Mundy (Apr-20-20)
- Emergency Room Overcharges –Surprise! By Jane Mundy (Apr-16-20)
- Emergency Room Overcharges with Coronavirus Test By Jane Mundy (Apr-5-20)
- Can Coronavirus and Lawsuits Vaporize E-cigarettes? By Jane Mundy (Mar-25-20)
- E-Cigarette Toxic Vape Ban Less Than Meets the Eye, Critics Say By Anne Wallace (Feb-17-20)
- Target Red Card Lawsuit Poised to Settle for $8.2 Million By Anne Wallace (Jan-6-20)
- Will Juul Go Up in Smoke? By Jane Mundy (Dec-12-19)
- Asbestos Re-Surfaces in J&J Talcum Powder By Jane Mundy (Nov-15-19)
- Bayer “Not Playing Nice in the Sandbox” of Monsanto Litigation By Jane Mundy (Nov-12-19)
- Has J&J Lost Its Way? By Jane Mundy (Oct-25-19)
- Does Bayer Regret Buying Monsanto? By Jane Mundy (Oct-18-19)
- J&J Wins a Few Asbestos Talc Trials--and Loses More By Jane Mundy (Oct-14-19)
- Americans Want Automakers to Improve Fuel Economy By Jane Mundy (Sep-10-19)
- Farmers Worldwide Filed Monsanto Herbicide Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Sep-5-19)
- Ford Fuel Mileage Complaints Mounting By Jane Mundy (Aug-26-19)
- $1.2 Billion Class Action Lawsuit Targets Ford Fuel Economy Claims By Anne Wallace (Jul-29-19)
- Lawmakers Suspect Gilead Has Ulterior Motives for Donating HIV/AIDS drug Truvada By Jane Mundy (Jul-25-19)
- Daubert Hearing Underway is Crucial to Johnson & Johnson Asbestos Talc Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Jul-24-19)
- Ford Fuel Economy Lawsuit—Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (Jul-17-19)
- Monsanto Accused of Fudging Glyphosate Evidence By Anne Wallace (Jul-17-19)
- Cash Advance? There’s an App for That By Anne Wallace (Mar-25-19)
- Jury Finds Monsanto RoundUp a “Substantial Factor” in Causing Cancer By Anne Wallace (Mar-21-19)
- Subpoenas Fly! Senate Demands Docs in Tainted Talcum Powder Probe By Anne Wallace (Mar-5-19)
- Patients Battle Surprise Emergency Room Charges By Anne Wallace (Feb-20-19)
- Imerys Talc Claims Bankruptcy, J&J Ovarian Cancer Claims Continue By Jane Mundy (Feb-18-19)
- Discrepancies in Emergency Room Overcharges Cause Frustration and Financial Woes By Jane Mundy (Feb-11-19)
- Tests and Studies For and Against J&J Talc - Jury Still Out By Jane Mundy (Jan-22-19)
- Trustmark National Bank Latest Defendant in Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Dec-21-18)
- Bayer’s Biggest Mistake –Buying Monsanto? By Jane Mundy (Dec-20-18)