LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Consumer Fraud Legal News Articles & Interviews
Victory for Women with Ovarian Cancer linked to Johnson & Johnson’s Talc in Missouri Court of Appeals
July 14, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Victory for Women with Ovarian Cancer linked to Johnson & Johnson’s Talc in Missouri Court of Appeals ]
St. Louis, MO A panel of three judges with the Missouri Appeals Court has found Johnson & Johnson “Outrageous because of Evil Motive or Reckless Indifference” and upheld an award of over $2 billion in damages: $500 million in compensatory damages, plus another $1.62 billion in punitive damages. This group of 22 ovarian cancer victims-- all of whom developed ovarian cancer from J&J’s baby powder-- has now received the sixth largest award in U.S. legal history.
June 22, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Tobacco Industry’s Back in Business with E-Cigarettes ]
Santa Clara, CA “The FDA has clamped down on a few e-cigarette companies that have behaved very irresponsibly, but the big boys, the multinational tobacco companies, are taking over the e-cigarette business,” says Dr. Stanton Glantz, a globally recognized expert on e-cigarettes and anti-smoking activist since the 1970s.
June 17, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ The Environmental Protection Agency no longer Protecting Monsanto? ]
Santa Clara, CA A federal court last week slammed the EPA for approving dicamba-based weed-killing products sold by agricultural giants Bayer AG, BASF and Corteva Agriscience, now making it illegal for farmers to use dicamba herbicides. The EPA also sided with Monsanto and its Roundup weedkiller, which has tragically resulted in more than 125,000 Monsanto cancer lawsuits.
June 16, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Insured Californians Getting Gouged by Out-of-Network Providers ]
Santa Clara, CA Back in 2017, a law was passed to protect Californians against surprise medical bills for non-emergency care. Before that, AB1611 was proposed: it was supposed to protect against emergency room overcharges but California consumers are still getting gouged by out-of-network providers.
June 4, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Former Canadian Health Minister on Juul Board while Current Minister Opposes Vaping ]
Ottawa, ON Some people opposed to vaping would say that former Canadian Health Minister Rona Ambrose has put profit over people, specifically Juul e-cigarettes over teenage health.
May 14, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Getting Caught Can Reduce Emergency Room Overcharges ]
San Francisco, CA Last year Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital reduced a patient’s emergency room charges from $20,243 bill down to $200—after the patient, Nina Dang, contacted the media. She broke her arm on the pavement in a bike accident. Can’t reach the media? Of course lawyers experienced with negotiating ER overcharges can also substantially reduce hospital costs, both for insured and uninsured patients. “It’s frustrating that I have to hire a lawyer, but so far it’s been worth it,” said another ER patient, Alexa Sulvetta.
April 20, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ E-Cig and Vape Companies Cashing in on COVID-19 ]
Santa Clara, CA Vaping and e-cigarette companies are using the corona virus crisis as a sales tool, despite warnings from health officials that vape and e-cigarette users might be at a higher risk for complications from COVID-19. And an attorney general accuses the FDA of vape fear mongering.
April 16, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Overcharges –Surprise! ]
Santa Clara, CA Almost one-third of Americans with health insurance who wind up in an emergency room find out after the fact that their health plan doesn’t cover as much as they thought. Given that there are about 140 million ER visits each year, and “surprise” emergency room charges are so frequent that 59 percent of Americans have been contacted by a debt collector and 16 percent of Americans’ credit reports include medical debt due to overdue medical bills, it’s not such as surprise that this debt totals about $81 billion.
April 5, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Overcharges with Coronavirus Test ]
Santa Clara, CA Despite the $2 trillion coronavirus aid package that includes over $100 billion for hospitals and medical needs, and despite a law signed by President Trump on March 18 that supposedly allows Americans to be tested for coronavirus free of charge, some patients now face emergency room overcharges. While the tests may be free, both insured and uninsured patients are still charged the ER visit to get the test. And keep in mind that insured patients visiting an emergency room during this crisis could face huge ER costs.
March 25, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Can Coronavirus and Lawsuits Vaporize E-cigarettes? ]
Santa Clara, CA Coronavirus and e-cigarette use have one thing in common: they harm the lungs. And as of March 2020, hundreds of Juul e-cigarette lawsuits have been combined in a California federal court, with many more complaints expected.
- E-Cigarette Toxic Vape Ban Less Than Meets the Eye, Critics Say By Anne Wallace (Feb-17-20)
- Target Red Card Lawsuit Poised to Settle for $8.2 Million By Anne Wallace (Jan-6-20)
- Will Juul Go Up in Smoke? By Jane Mundy (Dec-12-19)
- Asbestos Re-Surfaces in J&J Talcum Powder By Jane Mundy (Nov-15-19)
- Bayer “Not Playing Nice in the Sandbox” of Monsanto Litigation By Jane Mundy (Nov-12-19)
- Has J&J Lost Its Way? By Jane Mundy (Oct-25-19)
- Does Bayer Regret Buying Monsanto? By Jane Mundy (Oct-18-19)
- J&J Wins a Few Asbestos Talc Trials--and Loses More By Jane Mundy (Oct-14-19)
- Americans Want Automakers to Improve Fuel Economy By Jane Mundy (Sep-10-19)
- Farmers Worldwide Filed Monsanto Herbicide Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Sep-5-19)
- Ford Fuel Mileage Complaints Mounting By Jane Mundy (Aug-26-19)
- $1.2 Billion Class Action Lawsuit Targets Ford Fuel Economy Claims By Anne Wallace (Jul-29-19)
- Lawmakers Suspect Gilead Has Ulterior Motives for Donating HIV/AIDS drug Truvada By Jane Mundy (Jul-25-19)
- Daubert Hearing Underway is Crucial to Johnson & Johnson Asbestos Talc Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Jul-24-19)
- Ford Fuel Economy Lawsuit—Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (Jul-17-19)
- Monsanto Accused of Fudging Glyphosate Evidence By Anne Wallace (Jul-17-19)
- Cash Advance? There’s an App for That By Anne Wallace (Mar-25-19)
- Jury Finds Monsanto RoundUp a “Substantial Factor” in Causing Cancer By Anne Wallace (Mar-21-19)
- Subpoenas Fly! Senate Demands Docs in Tainted Talcum Powder Probe By Anne Wallace (Mar-5-19)
- Patients Battle Surprise Emergency Room Charges By Anne Wallace (Feb-20-19)
- Imerys Talc Claims Bankruptcy, J&J Ovarian Cancer Claims Continue By Jane Mundy (Feb-18-19)
- Discrepancies in Emergency Room Overcharges Cause Frustration and Financial Woes By Jane Mundy (Feb-11-19)
- Tests and Studies For and Against J&J Talc - Jury Still Out By Jane Mundy (Jan-22-19)
- Trustmark National Bank Latest Defendant in Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Dec-21-18)
- Bayer’s Biggest Mistake –Buying Monsanto? By Jane Mundy (Dec-20-18)
- New Reuters Report Reveals J&J knew its Talcum Powder link to Asbestos and Cancer By Jane Mundy (Dec-15-18)
- Monsanto has appealed a $78 million award to DeWayne Johnson, More Lawsuits Coming By Jane Mundy (Nov-23-18)
- Judge Upends $289 Million Monsanto Roundup Cancer Award By Anne Wallace (Oct-19-18)
- New Jersey Win for Johnson & Johnson and Los Angeles Mistrials in Asbestos –Mesothelioma Cancer Talc Trials By Jane Mundy (Oct-17-18)
- Digital Federal Credit Union Snared in Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Oct-3-18)
- New California Class Action Lawsuit Targets Deceptive Bank Fees By Anne Wallace (Sep-11-18)
- Talcum Cancer Lawsuit in California Based on Trust By Jane Mundy (Sep-10-18)
- CFPB Moves to Protect Students from Overdraft Fees By Anne Wallace (Aug-28-18)
- Landmark Credit Union Settles Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Aug-15-18)
- Time For Banks To Pay Up: Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuits Settled By Jane Mundy (Jul-27-18)
- Families Ask GSK to Hand Over Zofran Data By Lucy Campbell (Feb-27-18)
- Tentative Settlement Reached in Zimmer NexGen Knee-Implant MDL By Lucy Campbell (Feb-15-18)
- Minnesota Consumer Sues Capital One over 128 Bill Collector Robocalls to Cellular Phone By Anne Wallace (Feb-6-18)
- Androgel Bellwether Case Gets New Legal Team By Lucy Campbell (Jan-9-18)
- Home Warranty Lawsuit Goes to the New Jersey Supreme Court By Gordon Gibb (Dec-14-17)