LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Consumer Fraud Legal News Articles & Interviews
March 25, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Can Coronavirus and Lawsuits Vaporize E-cigarettes? ]
Santa Clara, CA Coronavirus and e-cigarette use have one thing in common: they harm the lungs. And as of March 2020, hundreds of Juul e-cigarette lawsuits have been combined in a California federal court, with many more complaints expected.
February 17, 2020. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ E-Cigarette Toxic Vape Ban Less Than Meets the Eye, Critics Say ]
Washington, DC Effective February 6, a change in FDA policy banned sales of fruit, mint and dessert-flavored vape pods that were reportedly intended to attract teens. The effectiveness of this ban in protecting young consumers from e-cigarette health hazards remains in doubt, however. The ban does not affect menthol or tobacco-flavored pods, open-tank systems and thousands of flavored e-liquids not in pod form, including a disposable brand called Puff Bar that comes in flavors such as strawberry, cool mint and mango.
January 6, 2020. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Target Red Card Lawsuit Poised to Settle for $8.2 Million ]
San Diego, CA On December 2, the Southern District of California granted preliminary approval to the settlement of a class action lawsuit that shone a light on the real cost of Target’s Red Card purchases for thousands of Target shoppers since 2012. The store-branded payment card permitted Target to charge Returned Payment Fees (RPFs) of $20 to $40 in addition to multiple bank overdraft fees on purchases for which there were insufficient funds in a customer’s account.
December 12, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Will Juul Go Up in Smoke? ]
Los Angeles, CA Along with cities and states nationwide hitting the electronic-cigarette manufacturer Juul with tougher restrictions, the L.A. Unified School District and other school systems have slammed the vaping giant with class action lawsuits claiming toxic vapes from e-cigarettes are health hazards and could be killing their kids.
November 15, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Asbestos Re-Surfaces in J&J Talcum Powder ]
Washington, DC For the first time ever, Johnson & Johnson recalled its baby powder (specifically single lot #22318RB, comprising 33,000 bottles) after the FDA announced trace levels of asbestos were found—purchased from an online retailer. J&J said it is working with the FDA to determine whether the product tested is authentic, counterfeit, or whether cross-contamination of the sample caused a false positive. And it also shows how the FDA lacks the ability to test consumer talc products.
November 12, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Bayer “Not Playing Nice in the Sandbox” of Monsanto Litigation ]
Oakland, CAThere’s a dispute during the recent Roundup hearing: Monsanto has asked a California judge to depose cancer patients’ treating physicians first, but plaintiffs’ attorney argues that will put his clients at an “extreme disadvantage”.
October 25, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Has J&J Lost Its Way? ]
Philadelphia, PA: One of thousands of Risperdal cases pending in the Philadelphia court system has resulted in a whopping $8 billion in damages awarded to a single plaintiff who claimed he developed breasts, a condition known as gynecomastia. Plaintiff Nicholas Murray’s lawyers told the jury following the verdict that, “Johnson and Johnson is a company which has lost its way.”
October 18, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Does Bayer Regret Buying Monsanto? ]
St Louis, MO: About 18,400 Monsanto glyphosate lawsuits alleging Roundup cancer are bound to put a large dent into the $63 billion that Bayer bought St. Louis-based Monsanto for last year. While Bayer knew it inherited the Roundup lawsuits, one plaintiff attorney believes the German pharmaceutical company wasn’t anticipating the high cost of losing.
October 14, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ J&J Wins a Few Asbestos Talc Trials--and Loses More ]
Torrance, CA: To date, Johnson and Johnson has lost 14 talcum powder lawsuits (and is appealing most of those), has won seven cases, and five mesothelioma cases have resulted in hung juries and mistrials. The pharma giant is still facing over 14,000 lawsuits alleging its baby powder contained asbestos talc and caused cancer. Two California juries in October, however, rejected allegations that J&J’s talc contained asbestos and caused mesothelioma.
September 10, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Americans Want Automakers to Improve Fuel Economy ]
Washington, DC: A recent survey by Consumer Reports confirms that most Americans want automakers -- not only Ford-- to improve and increase fuel economy on every type of vehicle.
- Farmers Worldwide Filed Monsanto Herbicide Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Sep-5-19)
- Ford Fuel Mileage Complaints Mounting By Jane Mundy (Aug-26-19)
- $1.2 Billion Class Action Lawsuit Targets Ford Fuel Economy Claims By Anne Wallace (Jul-29-19)
- Lawmakers Suspect Gilead Has Ulterior Motives for Donating HIV/AIDS drug Truvada By Jane Mundy (Jul-25-19)
- Daubert Hearing Underway is Crucial to Johnson & Johnson Asbestos Talc Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Jul-24-19)
- Ford Fuel Economy Lawsuit—Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (Jul-17-19)
- Monsanto Accused of Fudging Glyphosate Evidence By Anne Wallace (Jul-17-19)
- Cash Advance? There’s an App for That By Anne Wallace (Mar-25-19)
- Jury Finds Monsanto RoundUp a “Substantial Factor” in Causing Cancer By Anne Wallace (Mar-21-19)
- Subpoenas Fly! Senate Demands Docs in Tainted Talcum Powder Probe By Anne Wallace (Mar-5-19)
- Patients Battle Surprise Emergency Room Charges By Anne Wallace (Feb-20-19)
- Imerys Talc Claims Bankruptcy, J&J Ovarian Cancer Claims Continue By Jane Mundy (Feb-18-19)
- Discrepancies in Emergency Room Overcharges Cause Frustration and Financial Woes By Jane Mundy (Feb-11-19)
- Tests and Studies For and Against J&J Talc - Jury Still Out By Jane Mundy (Jan-22-19)
- Trustmark National Bank Latest Defendant in Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Dec-21-18)
- Bayer’s Biggest Mistake –Buying Monsanto? By Jane Mundy (Dec-20-18)
- New Reuters Report Reveals J&J knew its Talcum Powder link to Asbestos and Cancer By Jane Mundy (Dec-15-18)
- Monsanto has appealed a $78 million award to DeWayne Johnson, More Lawsuits Coming By Jane Mundy (Nov-23-18)
- Judge Upends $289 Million Monsanto Roundup Cancer Award By Anne Wallace (Oct-19-18)
- New Jersey Win for Johnson & Johnson and Los Angeles Mistrials in Asbestos –Mesothelioma Cancer Talc Trials By Jane Mundy (Oct-17-18)
- Digital Federal Credit Union Snared in Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Oct-3-18)
- New California Class Action Lawsuit Targets Deceptive Bank Fees By Anne Wallace (Sep-11-18)
- Talcum Cancer Lawsuit in California Based on Trust By Jane Mundy (Sep-10-18)
- CFPB Moves to Protect Students from Overdraft Fees By Anne Wallace (Aug-28-18)
- Landmark Credit Union Settles Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Aug-15-18)
- Time For Banks To Pay Up: Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuits Settled By Jane Mundy (Jul-27-18)
- Families Ask GSK to Hand Over Zofran Data By Lucy Campbell (Feb-27-18)
- Tentative Settlement Reached in Zimmer NexGen Knee-Implant MDL By Lucy Campbell (Feb-15-18)
- Minnesota Consumer Sues Capital One over 128 Bill Collector Robocalls to Cellular Phone By Anne Wallace (Feb-6-18)
- Androgel Bellwether Case Gets New Legal Team By Lucy Campbell (Jan-9-18)
- Home Warranty Lawsuit Goes to the New Jersey Supreme Court By Gordon Gibb (Dec-14-17)
- $28M Xarelto Verdict Against J&J and Bayer By Lucy Campbell (Dec-5-17)
- Time for Consumers to Litigate Against the Autorenewal Clause, Lawyer Says By Brenda Craig (Nov-25-17)
- $247M Verdict for Plaintiffs In DePuy Pinnacle Hip Replacement Trial By Lucy Campbell (Nov-16-17)
- Bank of America to Settle Excessive Fees Class Action for $66.6 Million By Gordon Gibb (Nov-10-17)
- First Xarelto Trial Stalled Over Allegations of Witness Tampering By Lucy Campbell (Nov-6-17)
- It Just Got Harder to Sue Your Bank for Excessive Overdraft Fees By Anne Wallace (Oct-30-17)
- $72M J&J Talc Cancer Verdict Reversed By Lucy Campbell (Oct-18-17)
- Wells Fargo Now Favors Arbitration in Long-Running Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Oct-16-17)
- Bayer Pulls Essure Birth Control Device From All Countries Except US By Lucy Campbell (Sep-26-17)