LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Consumer Fraud Legal News Articles & Interviews
January 8, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ SAG-AFTRA Health Plan Dumps Oldest Participants ]
Los Angeles, CA On December 1, 91-year-old actor Ed Asner and nine other participants in the Screen Actors Guild-Producers Health Plan filed a class action ERISA lawsuit against the SAG-AFTRA Health Fund and Trustees of the Plan. The early coverage of the lawsuit focuses on what appears to be age discrimination against veteran actors, many of whom sacrificed television residuals for pre-1960 movies to fund the health plan at its outset.
January 6, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Bank Overdraft Fees Lawsuit Stresses Lack of Consumer Sophistication, Unfair Process ]
Atlanta, GA On December 17, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit heard oral arguments in Garcia v. Wachovia Bank, one of the bank overdraft fees lawsuits, consolidated in In Re: Checking Account Overdraft Litigation. The checking accountholders are appealing a September 2019 District Court decision that denied them the chance to proceed through a class action lawsuit, forcing them to arbitrate their claims individually. That would effectively end their chance to dispute excessive overdraft fees that resulted from Wells Fargo’s and Wachovia Bank’s practice of reordering checks from high to low amounts in order to maximize profits.
December 14, 2020. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ “Abysmal” or “Too Conservative”? Supermarket ERISA Lawsuit to Settle for $17.5 Million ]
Boston, MA Toomey v. DeMoulas Super Markets, Inc., a class action ERISA lawsuit filed in the Massachusetts District Court in 2019, will settle for $17.5 million and prospective changes to the plan’s investment strategy, pending the court’s final approval in April 2021. While ERISA industry advisors have characterized the DeMoulas (Restated) Profit Sharing Plan and Trust’s investment management style as “too conservative,” the Complaint is far more brutal. It describes the performance of the investment fund as “abysmal.”
Victory for Women with Ovarian Cancer linked to Johnson & Johnson’s Talc in Missouri Court of Appeals
July 14, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Victory for Women with Ovarian Cancer linked to Johnson & Johnson’s Talc in Missouri Court of Appeals ]
St. Louis, MO A panel of three judges with the Missouri Appeals Court has found Johnson & Johnson “Outrageous because of Evil Motive or Reckless Indifference” and upheld an award of over $2 billion in damages: $500 million in compensatory damages, plus another $1.62 billion in punitive damages. This group of 22 ovarian cancer victims-- all of whom developed ovarian cancer from J&J’s baby powder-- has now received the sixth largest award in U.S. legal history.
June 22, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Tobacco Industry’s Back in Business with E-Cigarettes ]
Santa Clara, CA “The FDA has clamped down on a few e-cigarette companies that have behaved very irresponsibly, but the big boys, the multinational tobacco companies, are taking over the e-cigarette business,” says Dr. Stanton Glantz, a globally recognized expert on e-cigarettes and anti-smoking activist since the 1970s.
June 17, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ The Environmental Protection Agency no longer Protecting Monsanto? ]
Santa Clara, CA A federal court last week slammed the EPA for approving dicamba-based weed-killing products sold by agricultural giants Bayer AG, BASF and Corteva Agriscience, now making it illegal for farmers to use dicamba herbicides. The EPA also sided with Monsanto and its Roundup weedkiller, which has tragically resulted in more than 125,000 Monsanto cancer lawsuits.
June 16, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Insured Californians Getting Gouged by Out-of-Network Providers ]
Santa Clara, CA Back in 2017, a law was passed to protect Californians against surprise medical bills for non-emergency care. Before that, AB1611 was proposed: it was supposed to protect against emergency room overcharges but California consumers are still getting gouged by out-of-network providers.
June 4, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Former Canadian Health Minister on Juul Board while Current Minister Opposes Vaping ]
Ottawa, ON Some people opposed to vaping would say that former Canadian Health Minister Rona Ambrose has put profit over people, specifically Juul e-cigarettes over teenage health.
May 14, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Getting Caught Can Reduce Emergency Room Overcharges ]
San Francisco, CA Last year Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital reduced a patient’s emergency room charges from $20,243 bill down to $200—after the patient, Nina Dang, contacted the media. She broke her arm on the pavement in a bike accident. Can’t reach the media? Of course lawyers experienced with negotiating ER overcharges can also substantially reduce hospital costs, both for insured and uninsured patients. “It’s frustrating that I have to hire a lawyer, but so far it’s been worth it,” said another ER patient, Alexa Sulvetta.
April 20, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ E-Cig and Vape Companies Cashing in on COVID-19 ]
Santa Clara, CA Vaping and e-cigarette companies are using the corona virus crisis as a sales tool, despite warnings from health officials that vape and e-cigarette users might be at a higher risk for complications from COVID-19. And an attorney general accuses the FDA of vape fear mongering.
- Emergency Room Overcharges –Surprise! By Jane Mundy (Apr-16-20)
- Emergency Room Overcharges with Coronavirus Test By Jane Mundy (Apr-5-20)
- Can Coronavirus and Lawsuits Vaporize E-cigarettes? By Jane Mundy (Mar-25-20)
- E-Cigarette Toxic Vape Ban Less Than Meets the Eye, Critics Say By Anne Wallace (Feb-17-20)
- Target Red Card Lawsuit Poised to Settle for $8.2 Million By Anne Wallace (Jan-6-20)
- Will Juul Go Up in Smoke? By Jane Mundy (Dec-12-19)
- Asbestos Re-Surfaces in J&J Talcum Powder By Jane Mundy (Nov-15-19)
- Bayer “Not Playing Nice in the Sandbox” of Monsanto Litigation By Jane Mundy (Nov-12-19)
- Has J&J Lost Its Way? By Jane Mundy (Oct-25-19)
- Does Bayer Regret Buying Monsanto? By Jane Mundy (Oct-18-19)
- J&J Wins a Few Asbestos Talc Trials--and Loses More By Jane Mundy (Oct-14-19)
- Americans Want Automakers to Improve Fuel Economy By Jane Mundy (Sep-10-19)
- Farmers Worldwide Filed Monsanto Herbicide Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Sep-5-19)
- Ford Fuel Mileage Complaints Mounting By Jane Mundy (Aug-26-19)
- $1.2 Billion Class Action Lawsuit Targets Ford Fuel Economy Claims By Anne Wallace (Jul-29-19)
- Lawmakers Suspect Gilead Has Ulterior Motives for Donating HIV/AIDS drug Truvada By Jane Mundy (Jul-25-19)
- Daubert Hearing Underway is Crucial to Johnson & Johnson Asbestos Talc Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Jul-24-19)
- Ford Fuel Economy Lawsuit—Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (Jul-17-19)
- Monsanto Accused of Fudging Glyphosate Evidence By Anne Wallace (Jul-17-19)
- Cash Advance? There’s an App for That By Anne Wallace (Mar-25-19)
- Jury Finds Monsanto RoundUp a “Substantial Factor” in Causing Cancer By Anne Wallace (Mar-21-19)
- Subpoenas Fly! Senate Demands Docs in Tainted Talcum Powder Probe By Anne Wallace (Mar-5-19)
- Patients Battle Surprise Emergency Room Charges By Anne Wallace (Feb-20-19)
- Imerys Talc Claims Bankruptcy, J&J Ovarian Cancer Claims Continue By Jane Mundy (Feb-18-19)
- Discrepancies in Emergency Room Overcharges Cause Frustration and Financial Woes By Jane Mundy (Feb-11-19)
- Tests and Studies For and Against J&J Talc - Jury Still Out By Jane Mundy (Jan-22-19)
- Trustmark National Bank Latest Defendant in Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Dec-21-18)
- Bayer’s Biggest Mistake –Buying Monsanto? By Jane Mundy (Dec-20-18)
- New Reuters Report Reveals J&J knew its Talcum Powder link to Asbestos and Cancer By Jane Mundy (Dec-15-18)
- Monsanto has appealed a $78 million award to DeWayne Johnson, More Lawsuits Coming By Jane Mundy (Nov-23-18)
- Judge Upends $289 Million Monsanto Roundup Cancer Award By Anne Wallace (Oct-19-18)
- New Jersey Win for Johnson & Johnson and Los Angeles Mistrials in Asbestos –Mesothelioma Cancer Talc Trials By Jane Mundy (Oct-17-18)
- Digital Federal Credit Union Snared in Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Oct-3-18)
- New California Class Action Lawsuit Targets Deceptive Bank Fees By Anne Wallace (Sep-11-18)
- Talcum Cancer Lawsuit in California Based on Trust By Jane Mundy (Sep-10-18)
- CFPB Moves to Protect Students from Overdraft Fees By Anne Wallace (Aug-28-18)
- Landmark Credit Union Settles Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Aug-15-18)
- Time For Banks To Pay Up: Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuits Settled By Jane Mundy (Jul-27-18)
- Families Ask GSK to Hand Over Zofran Data By Lucy Campbell (Feb-27-18)
- Tentative Settlement Reached in Zimmer NexGen Knee-Implant MDL By Lucy Campbell (Feb-15-18)