LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Consumer Fraud Legal News Articles & Interviews
July 26, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Another Monsanto Roundup Lawsuit filed in California ]
San Francisco, CA Monsanto has been hit with another lawsuit claiming its Roundup product causes non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and other cancers. Plaintiff Michael Langford of Sacramento was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin lymphoma in 2007 and later developed other cancers. Langford’s Monsanto lawsuit filed in late June comes on the heels of a claim also filed in June. An Ohio resident filed suit in Delaware Superior Court claiming her non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma was also the result of many years’ exposure to Roundup in the care of her home garden.
July 21, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ ERISA Lawsuit Alleges DuPont Underpaid Retirees ]
Wilmington, DE M.P. Moon will have another chance to persuade a Delaware federal court that DuPont and its corporate predecessors and successors cheated him and similarly situated retirees of thousands of dollars in pension benefits. His ERISA lawsuit describes years of misinformation, followed by internal procedural rules that protected DuPont from the necessity of correcting its own error.
July 16, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Overcharges Patient now Debt Collector Victim ]
Arley, AL Catrina arrived at the hospital emergency room bent over in pain--three days later she was sent home after having her gallbladder removed. The surgery went well--until the bills arrived. Particularly galling was a CT Scan charge about three times more than the national average cost--a typical example of ER overcharges. (Granted, scans are typically more expensive when ordered in an ER.) Her total bill rings in at 86,381.04.
July 9, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Jander ERISA Lawsuit Settles, but Leaves Questions ]
New York, NY Jander v. Retirement Plans Committee of IBM, a long-running employee stock ownership lawsuit, settled on April 2, 2021 for $4.75 million. The attorneys who represented the retirement plan participants have now requested $1.4 million in fees for the latest Supreme Court phase of the case. In deciding whether to approve the fee, the Southern District of New York will consider the time and effort the lawyers expended.
June 15, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ No Surprises Act to Eliminate ER Overcharges? ]
Santa Clara, CA Although the “No Surprises Act” will be in effect January 1, 2022, the first regulations are slated for July 2021. If all goes according to plan, patients to emergency rooms will no longer be hit with outrageous ER overcharges or receive surprise bills in the mail, mainly due to out of network treatment.
June 14, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Participants Sue Bronson Healthcare Plan over Inclusion of Fidelity Freedom Fund ]
Kalamazoo, MI On May 6, Susan Gleason and Candi Gabrielse filed a class action ERISA lawsuit against Bronson Healthcare Group Inc. in the Western District of Michigan. Gleason v. Bronson Healthcare is an example of increasingly distinctive subtype of breach of fiduciary duty lawsuits that focus on the relative cost and performance of two Fidelity investment funds, both of which were part of the Bronson Healthcare Group, Inc. 403(b) Tax Sheltered Matching Plan.
May 21, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Opportunity to Overcharge ]
Houston, TX Nick was working at his home office when he suddenly felt the left side of his body go numb and a searing pain in his lower back. “Thank God my wife was home. She drove me to the nearest urgent care center but a sign on the door said it was “running at capacity” and couldn’t see any patients that day,” says Nick. “We googled the nearest emergency room—at this point I was almost passing out. And I almost passed out two weeks later when my ER bill came in the mail. I’d heard about ER overcharges but this was ridiculous!”
May 17, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ ERISA Lawsuit against the University of Miami Cites Excessive Fees ]
Miami, FL On April 5, the four named plaintiffs in Santiago v. University of Miami asked the Southern District of Florida to certify a class of roughly 16,000 beneficiaries of and participants in the University of Miami Savings Plan. Their ERISA lawsuit alleges that the University breached its duties of loyalty and prudence by permitting the Plan to incur unreasonable and excessive administrative fees by failing to engage in an appropriate process designed to evaluate and monitor administrative expenses.
May 10, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ KImberly-Clark 401k ERISA lawsuit Alleges Excessive Costs ]
Dallas, TX On April 15, two participants in the Kimberly-Clark Corporation 401(k) & Profit Sharing Plan filed a class action ERISA lawsuit in the federal District Court for the Northern District of Texas. Seidner v. Kimberly-Clark Corp. alleges that plan fiduciaries violated ERISA by failing to monitor plan administrative expenses, thus wasting the participants’ retirement savings and depriving them of the opportunity for investment growth over time.
April 14, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Overcharges Complaints Outrageous but True ]
Santa Clara, CA Many emergency room overcharges complaints submitted to LawyersandSettlements are so outrageous they seem fictional. Sadly, they are true. In each complaint below, the patient’s bill isn’t even close to the “going rate”.
- Did Detroit Edison Mislead Retirees about Benefits? By Anne Wallace (Apr-13-21)
- Credit Union of New Jersey Hit with Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Apr-6-21)
- Insurer May Renew Defense in Tangled ESOP Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Apr-2-21)
- Emergency Room Overcharges Attorney Helps—if you are Committed By Jane Mundy (Apr-1-21)
- Insufficient Funds Charges Threaten Small-Balance Accountholders By Anne Wallace (Mar-31-21)
- Federal Court Okays Class Action Status for 401k Mismanagement Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Mar-15-21)
- Texas Sues Griddy Energy for Deceptive Advertising By Anne Wallace (Mar-12-21)
- Two Former Cardiologists Awarded $10.6 million for Reporting Patient Care Problems and Overcharging By Jane Mundy (Feb-28-21)
- Ninth Circuit Sends "High-Tech Debt Trap" Lawsuit to Arbitration By Anne Wallace (Feb-27-21)
- Northern District of Illinois Nixes Mandatory Arbitration in ERISA Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Feb-8-21)
- Motion Picture Industry ERISA Plan under the Bright, Hot Lights By Anne Wallace (Jan-18-21)
- SAG-AFTRA Health Plan Dumps Oldest Participants By Anne Wallace (Jan-8-21)
- Bank Overdraft Fees Lawsuit Stresses Lack of Consumer Sophistication, Unfair Process By Anne Wallace (Jan-6-21)
- “Abysmal” or “Too Conservative”? Supermarket ERISA Lawsuit to Settle for $17.5 Million By Anne Wallace (Dec-14-20)
- Victory for Women with Ovarian Cancer linked to Johnson & Johnson’s Talc in Missouri Court of Appeals By Jane Mundy (Jul-14-20)
- Tobacco Industry’s Back in Business with E-Cigarettes By Jane Mundy (Jun-22-20)
- The Environmental Protection Agency no longer Protecting Monsanto? By Jane Mundy (Jun-17-20)
- Insured Californians Getting Gouged by Out-of-Network Providers By Jane Mundy (Jun-16-20)
- Former Canadian Health Minister on Juul Board while Current Minister Opposes Vaping By Jane Mundy (Jun-4-20)
- Getting Caught Can Reduce Emergency Room Overcharges By Jane Mundy (May-14-20)
- E-Cig and Vape Companies Cashing in on COVID-19 By Jane Mundy (Apr-20-20)
- Emergency Room Overcharges –Surprise! By Jane Mundy (Apr-16-20)
- Emergency Room Overcharges with Coronavirus Test By Jane Mundy (Apr-5-20)
- Can Coronavirus and Lawsuits Vaporize E-cigarettes? By Jane Mundy (Mar-25-20)
- E-Cigarette Toxic Vape Ban Less Than Meets the Eye, Critics Say By Anne Wallace (Feb-17-20)
- Target Red Card Lawsuit Poised to Settle for $8.2 Million By Anne Wallace (Jan-6-20)
- Will Juul Go Up in Smoke? By Jane Mundy (Dec-12-19)
- Asbestos Re-Surfaces in J&J Talcum Powder By Jane Mundy (Nov-15-19)
- Bayer “Not Playing Nice in the Sandbox” of Monsanto Litigation By Jane Mundy (Nov-12-19)
- Has J&J Lost Its Way? By Jane Mundy (Oct-25-19)
- Does Bayer Regret Buying Monsanto? By Jane Mundy (Oct-18-19)
- J&J Wins a Few Asbestos Talc Trials--and Loses More By Jane Mundy (Oct-14-19)
- Americans Want Automakers to Improve Fuel Economy By Jane Mundy (Sep-10-19)
- Farmers Worldwide Filed Monsanto Herbicide Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Sep-5-19)
- Ford Fuel Mileage Complaints Mounting By Jane Mundy (Aug-26-19)
- $1.2 Billion Class Action Lawsuit Targets Ford Fuel Economy Claims By Anne Wallace (Jul-29-19)
- Lawmakers Suspect Gilead Has Ulterior Motives for Donating HIV/AIDS drug Truvada By Jane Mundy (Jul-25-19)
- Daubert Hearing Underway is Crucial to Johnson & Johnson Asbestos Talc Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Jul-24-19)
- Ford Fuel Economy Lawsuit—Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (Jul-17-19)
- Monsanto Accused of Fudging Glyphosate Evidence By Anne Wallace (Jul-17-19)