LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Automotive Legal News Articles & Interviews
February 25, 2021. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ NHTSA Orders Ford to Recall 3 Million Cars for Defective Airbags ]
Washington, DC The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has ordered Ford to recall three million cars that contain defective driver’s side airbags. The airbags contain potentially faulty Takata inflators that may cause the bags to rupture, resulting in catastrophic airbag injuries. This follows a similar 2020 order affecting General Motors.
September 19, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Ford Fuel Economy Lawsuits Ramping Up ]
Detroit, MI: At least ten Ford class action lawsuits against Ford allege its 2019 Ford Ranger and 2018 Ford F-150 trucks underwent inaccurate Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) testing that overstated fuel economy. But complaints are pouring in regarding other Ford models with poor fuel economy MPG ratings.
August 12, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Department of Justice Probe Continues as Ford Fuel Economy Lawsuits Heat Up ]
Washington, DC It was buried on page 70 of Ford Motor Co.’s March 31 SEC Form 10-Q, just before the last of many charts. The bland and reassuring words with which Ford disclosed a Department of Justice criminal investigation into Ford fuel economy representations belies the potential importance of that investigation to Ford class action lawsuits that now target both the Ford Ranger and F-150 truck models.
June 19, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Los Angeles, CA: The chances of a defective Takata airbag exploding and firing metal shards at you, even in a minor fender bender, increase with rising temperatures. But the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) says many people driving unsafe cars, including Honda, Ford and Mazda, haven’t grasped the recall’s urgency.Read [ Takata Airbag Recall Heating Up ]
May 25, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Miami, FL: Of about 50 million Takata defective airbags being recalled, some vehicles are more dangerous than others, according to the US. Department of Transportation. And some places have a greater potential to cause inflator ruptures—heat and humidity are risk factors.Read [ US DOT: Your Car and Where You Live May Increase Defective Airbag Risk ]
April 28, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Miami, FL: If you received an “owner notification letter” from your car dealership regarding a defective airbag and there was a problem getting a replacement inflator, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says supply problems are over. But the Center for Auto Safety states that only a fraction of car owners have acted, with nearly 60 percent of inflators untouched. That statement, however, may not be completely accurate.Read [ Vehicle Owners with Defective Takata Airbags Urged to Get Replacement ]
February 13, 2018. By Lucy Campbell.
Santa Cruz,CA: Takata, the Japanese maker of airbags that contained defective inflators, which caused injuries and more than a dozen deaths of drivers and passengers, has reached a settlement to pay tort claimants.Read [ Takata Reaches Settlement Deal with Injured Drivers ]
June 13, 2017. By Deb Hipp.
Honolulu, HI: The State of Hawaii is suing Ford, Nissan and Toyota for marketing and selling vehicles with Takata airbags that could potentially explode and cause injuries or death.Read [ Hawaii Sues Three Automakers Over Defective Takata Airbags ]
June 1, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Miami, FL: Airbag injuries suffered by unsuspecting victims are frustrating enough when caused by a safety device designed to protect, rather than injure. The massive Takata airbag recall involving millions of vehicles is the most widely-cited example of the problem. However a lesser-known issue, but one just as compelling involve used airbags and recycled airbags that have the capability of injuring, or causing death.Read [ The Growing Concern over Recalled Airbags in Used Car Repairs ]
May 18, 2017. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ $553M in Settlements Reached with Toyota, Subaru, Mazda and BMW in Takata Airbag MDL ]
Santa Clara, CA $553.6 million in settlements has been agreed in multi-district litigation (MDL) involving Toyota, Subaru, Mazda and BMW, which will see the automakers pay the sum to end claims brought by plaintiffs over alleged defective Takata airbags. To date, the airbags, which can explode, have been linked with 11 deaths in the US.
- Supreme Court Won't Review GM's Appeal For Protection Against Ignition Switch Lawsuits By Deb Hipp (May-12-17)
- Airbag Injuries and Defective Airbags Getting More Complicated By Gordon Gibb (May-12-17)
- Recalled Airbags Being Recycled in Crash-Affected Vehicles By Lucy Campbell (May-10-17)
- Calls for Increased Regulation of Car Title Loans Increasing By Gordon Gibb (May-5-17)
- Lack of State Oversight Prompting Texas City to Act By Gordon Gibb (Apr-24-17)
- $55M Personal Injury Verdict Against Honda Stands By Lucy Campbell (Apr-19-17)
- Airbag Lawsuits Dismissed as Parties Try to Work Out Settlement By Deb Hipp (Apr-17-17)
- Fender Bender Air Bag Deployment Left Texas Woman with Eye Damage By Brenda Craig (Mar-24-17)
- Takata to Pay $1B for Airbag Scandal By Lucy Campbell (Feb-28-17)
- Family Blames Takata Airbag for Woman's Death By Deb Hipp (Feb-23-17)
- $15.3 Million Settlement over Predatory Lending By Gordon Gibb (Feb-10-17)
- Ford Increases Recall Over Defective Takata Airbags By Lucy Campbell (Jan-13-17)
- 2017 Expected to be a Landmark Year for Airbag Injury Litigation By Gordon Gibb (Jan-6-17)
- Attorney: It's Mind Boggling Ammonium Nitrate Was Used in Airbags By Heidi Turner (Nov-9-16)
- $14.2B Settlement Finalized in VW Emissions Class Action By Lucy Campbell (Oct-26-16)
- Another Airbag Lawsuit Filed Against Takata By Heidi Turner (Oct-3-16)
- Is Texas Truck Crash a Telling Commentary on Takata Defective Airbags? By Gordon Gibb (Sep-20-16)
- Truck with Takata Airbag Inflators Explodes By Lucy Campbell (Aug-31-16)
- The Machinations behind a Defective Airbag Settlement, Takata CEO Shielded By Gordon Gibb (Aug-13-16)
- Airbag Injuries Result in Settlement By Heidi Turner (Jul-10-16)
- Harley Davidson Brake Failure Subject of NHTSA Investigation By Lucy Campbell (Jul-8-16)
- Attorney Rich Newsome on Airbag Litigation By Brenda Craig (Jun-25-16)
- Airbag Injuries Read Like a Bad Horror Movie By Gordon Gibb (Jun-23-16)
- Seatback Collapse Litigation “Alive and Well” By Brenda Craig (Jun-23-16)
- Anton Yelchin Killed by Jeep Grand Cherokee Under Recall By Lucy Campbell (Jun-21-16)
- Are More People at Risk for Airbag Injuries? By Heidi Turner (Jun-12-16)
- Millions More Takata Airbags Recalled By Heidi Turner (May-31-16)
- Hawaii Becomes First State to Sue Over Defective Airbags and Horrific Injuries By Gordon Gibb (May-19-16)
- Accident Attorneys Rob Ammons and Jim Dunnam Help Family Win Record-Setting $27.5 Million Recovery Against Sanderson Farms By LAS Staff Writer (May-6-16)
- Takata Airbag Recalls Increases by 35 Million Vehicles By Lucy Campbell (May-5-16)
- Lawsuit Filed In Harris County For Tenth Death Caused By Takata Ammonium Nitrate Airbag By The National Trial Lawyers (Apr-28-16)
- VW Agrees to Buy Back or Fix 500,000 US Diesel Vehicles By Lucy Campbell (Apr-21-16)
- VW Dealerships File Consumer Fraud Class Action By Lucy Campbell (Apr-8-16)
- CaseyGerry Files Wrongful Death Lawsuit on Behalf of Boy After Father Killed in Tragic Ontario, Calif., Accident By LAS Staff Writer (Mar-19-16)
- Investigation Reveals Cause of Exploding Takata Airbags By Lucy Campbell (Feb-23-16)
- New Jersey Lawsuit Filed against Volkswagen Over VW Emissions Scandal By Gordon Gibb (Feb-16-16)
- Despite Recalls and Lawsuits, Airbags Still Linked to Deaths By Heidi Turner (Feb-2-16)
- Volkswagen Faces VW Recall Lawsuit by US Department of Justice By Gordon Gibb (Jan-11-16)
- VW Car Dealerships Hurting This Holiday Season Sue Volkswagen Group By Jane Mundy (Dec-19-15)
- Volkswagen Made Several Versions of Defeat Devices By Lucy Campbell (Oct-20-15)