LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Discrimination Legal News Articles & Interviews
August 9, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Google’s Age Discrimination Settlement--Again ]
Sacramento, CA: Wisdom doesn’t necessarily come with age, at least not with Google. If it did, Google would have wizened up a decade ago, when the courts warned the Internet giant of its “systematic practice of discrimination" involving job applicants who were age 40 and over. Instead, it recently shelled out $11 million to settle a California age discrimination class action lawsuit.
July 19, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Women’s Soccer Team California Discrimination Lawsuits Trigger Athletics Fair Pay Act ]
Santa Clara, CA: On the heels of the U.S. women's soccer team victory and two ongoing California labor law discrimination lawsuits, two Democratic senators have introduced legislation that calls for equal pay for female Olympic and national team athletes.
January 7, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Hewlett-Packard Enterprises Named in Gender Pay Discrimination Lawsuit ]
Santa Clara, CA In late 2018, R. Ross and C. Rogus filed a class action California unpaid wages lawsuit against Hewlett-Packard Enterprise (HPE) that describes a pattern of gender-based pay discrimination. It’s hardly news, you think, that tech giants underpay women.
January 4, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ The New Year Rings in New Sexual Harassment Rules, Mainly Triggered by #MeTooMovement ]
Sacramento, CA:The #MeTooMovement has resulted in a number of new laws with the goal to make it easier for employees to report sexual harassment and for employers to have a voice in investigations concerning this and other California labor law violations. Most of these laws took effect January 1, and employers would be wise to become familiar with them.
December 13, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ “Face of Channel 4 News” Fired -- Too Old to be Female on TV ]
Nashville, TN News anchor Demetria Kalodimos, who had repeatedly been named the Best Local Reporter and Best Local TV News Personality by the readers of the Nashville Scene, was abruptly fired by WSMV, Channel 4 on December 4, 2017. On November 27, 2018, she filed an employment lawsuit in the Middle District of Tennessee, alleging violations of the federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Tennessee Human Rights Act and Disability Act and Tennessee common law. Allegations concerning violations of the federal Civil Rights Act of 1964 are expected to follow.
October 23, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Google Employee Tagged as “Too Old” May Yet Have the Last Word ]
San Jose, CA Cheryl Fillekes’s age discrimination lawsuit against Google alleges violations of the federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) and corresponding provisions of California labor law, the Fair Housing and Employment Discrimination Act (FEHA). Having cleared the hurdle of class action certification, it now appears poised to settle.
August 16, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Retail giant Target Settles California Labor Lawsuits over Cashier Seating for $9 million. ]
Oakland, CA: A California judge has given the green light to settle several California labor lawsuits alleging the retail giant violated California’s Private Attorneys General Act by failing to provide seating for more than 90,000 cashiers.
December 24, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Dallas, TX: In a recent hip replacement trial, plaintiffs’ lawyer showed to the jury records whereby DePuy paid its Pinnacle hip "design surgeons" more than $184 million in royalties that he argued were kickbacks. And jurors watched a video of a 2008 DePuy sales conference themed “Taking Share of Business”. To the lyrics of “Takin’ Care of Business” by the rock group Bachman-Turner Overdrive, DePuy’s former top marketer leads a parade with costumed alligators, a bloodied man with a hatchet and a giant metal hip implant. The plaintiffs won.Read [ DePuy Hip’s Million Dollar Surgeons “Taking Share of Business” ]
September 27, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Los Angeles, CA: A former Facebook employee, 52-year-old Gary Glouner, alleges in a lawsuit filed in California Superior Court that he was unlawfully terminated from his job in November, 2015. The suit alleges the company discriminated against him because of a minor cognitive disability and because he was not part of the company’s preferred demographic of “recent college graduates” or a “digital native”.Read [ Facebook Slapped with Disability and Age Discrimination Lawsuit with Whistleblower Allegation ]
May 26, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Oakland, CA Legal team representing a 44-year-old African American man who claims he was harassed and discriminated against while working as an assembly line worker at the Tesla car factory in Fremont, California is adding a charge of retaliation to the already long list of claims of violations of the California state labor laws.Read [ Retaliation to be added to Tesla Inc. Workplace Racial Discrimination Suit ]
- Contractor to US Government Cited for Equal Pay Violations, Settles for $1.2 Million By Gordon Gibb (Feb-25-17)
- California Workplace Discrimination Dinosaurs By Jane Mundy (Nov-6-16)
- Another Unarmed Black Man Shot and Killed by Police By Lucy Campbell (Sep-28-16)
- Gay Teacher Fails “Good Fit Test” at New York Private School By Brenda Craig (Sep-23-16)
- North Carolina’s “Bathroom Bill” Has Serious Implications for State Employment Law By The National Trial Lawyers (Apr-14-16)
- Who’s Hispanic? New Trial After White Applicant Receives $1.3 Million for Race Discrimination By The National Trial Lawyers (Mar-10-16)
- California Judge Certifies Discrimination Class Action Suit for Female Attorneys By The National Trial Lawyers (Dec-31-15)
- Parents of Autistic Children Sue Disney Park By Brenda Craig (Nov-20-15)
- Age Discrimination “Rampant” Says Attorney Lisa Maki By Brenda Craig (Nov-13-15)
- Boston Jury Awards $11M to Public Servant for Race Discrimination and Retaliation By The National Trial Lawyers (Oct-29-15)
- $4 Million Award in L.A. for Hispanic Boss Harassing Disabled White Coworker By The National Trial Lawyers (Aug-14-15)
- Female Mounties Allege Gender Harassment in Class-Action Hearing By Gordon Gibb (Jun-3-15)
- Age Discrimination Case Against Zillow Can Proceed By The National Trial Lawyers (Mar-13-15)
- Retaliation Remains the #1 Employment Law Claim By The National Trial Lawyers (Mar-5-15)
- A Tough Title IX Fight in Alabama for BHJ By Brenda Craig (Feb-23-15)
- The Case of Ms. Jane Doe and Title IX By Brenda Craig (Feb-19-15)
- Celebrity’s Nanny Sues for California Overtime – California Nanny Law Update By Jane Mundy (Oct-5-13)
- School Districts Are Not Liable for Money Damages from the Misidentification of Students As Disabled... By LAS Staff Writer (Sep-18-13)
- Gender Harassment in One of the World’s Most Respected Police Forces By Brenda Craig (Jun-25-13)
- New York Employers Face Employment Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Nov-25-12)
- Overtime Bonus Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Oct-7-12)
- 2000 Walmart Discrimination Cases Filed Across the US By Lucy Campbell (Jun-12-12)
- Publix Managers File Unpaid Overtime Class Action Lawsuit By Abi Kistler (Apr-27-12)
- College Discrimination: Supreme Court Weighs In—Again By Jane Mundy (Feb-25-12)
- Merck Shuts Down Propecia Website By Lucy Campbell (Feb-9-12)
- YAZ/Yasmin Increases Risk of Blood Clots by 75 Percent, Says FDA Study By Lucy Campbell (Oct-31-11)
- Lilly Pulls Sepsis Drug WorldWide By Lucy Campbell (Oct-25-11)
- Costco Discrimination Class Action Saved By Lucy Campbell (Sep-19-11)
- US Supreme Court Strikes Down Massive Wal-Mart Class Action By Gordon Gibb (Jun-20-11)
- Maryland Nonprofit Group Files Housing Lawsuit By Charles Benson (Nov-30-10)
- Philadelphia Bartender Sues Employer for Alleged Racial Discrimination By Charles Benson (Nov-17-10)
- Government Probe into Elder Abuse Reveals Wide Spread Fraud By Lucy Campbell (Oct-27-10)
- California Labor Law: "Working at Blockbusters Is Like a Bad Movie" By Jane Mundy (Sep-30-10)
- Employee of Texas-Based Chain Wins $8.1 Million By Gordon Gibb (Sep-10-10)
- Title lX Doesn't Protect Against Bullying By Brenda Craig (Aug-1-10)
- Edison Discrimination Suit is Déjà Vu All Over Again By Brenda Craig (Jul-31-10)
- A Bad Day at Work for Discrimination By Brenda Craig (Jul-14-10)
- San Fran Attorney Shocked by Pregnancy Bias By Brenda Craig (Jul-12-10)
- Billboard Manufacturer Settles Sexual Harassment Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Jul-12-10)
- Denture Cream Lawsuit: Young People Aging Before Their Time By Heidi Turner (May-28-10)