LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Defective Products Legal News Articles & Interviews
September 29, 2023. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ $12.5 Billion PFAS Settlement Revised to Extend 3M Liability ]
Charleston, SC On August 29, the District Court for the District of South Carolina preliminarily approved a revision to the $12.5 billion proposed settlement in a class action perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl lawsuit brought by a long list of water utilities. The settlement was reached after a five-year legal battle that involved 37.4 million pages of discovery documents and more than 160 depositions. The revision is specifically designed to protect the utilities from some future liabilities.
September 21, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Hair Relaxer Makers Splitting Hairs in Georgia Court ]
Atlanta, GA Hair relaxer manufacturers have successfully argued with the Georgia Court of Appeals to take into consideration the state’s 10-year repose statute regarding a hair relaxer lawsuit filed by a Georgia woman last October. But plaintiff Kiara Burrough's attorney point out that the statute doesn’t apply to claims for negligence and failure-to-warn.
September 18, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Monsanto RoundUp Lawsuit Update ]
Santa Clara, CA The last few months have been busy for Bayer and Monsanto’s legal team and Roundup lawsuits. The U.S. Supreme Court refused to review a $39 million Roundup settlement regarding cancer warnings on Roundup; the latest Roundup cancer trial is underway in Missouri and south of the border; and a U.S. dispute settlement panel challenges Mexico’s plans to ban GMO corn.
September 6, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ New FDA Hernia Mesh Information and its Flawed 501(k) Process ]
Santa Clara, CA In response to a multitude of hernia mesh adverse event reports, the FDA published new information in July about the risks and benefits of hernia mesh surgery. The agency gives non-surgical options and advises that patients should obtain certain information “If you have post-surgical problems”. It would seem like the FDA has made a hernia mesh mess.
August 22, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Monsanto Roundup $7M Settlement ]
New York, NY Bayer and its Monsanto unit agreed in June to pay almost $7 million to settle Roundup lawsuit claims which began in a 2020 investigation by New York Attorney General Letitia James. The agreement requires Bayer and Monsanto to stop advertising its Roundup weedkiller—which contains carcinogenic glyphosate—as environmentally safe.
August 21, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Philips’ Objections Over CPAP Lawsuits and Another Obstacle ]
Santa Clara, CAAs Philips attempts to toss or trim its CPAP defective breathing machine claims, another recent recall affecting 72,000Trilogy Evo ventilators has left the company reeling. And as it scrambles to make up for the CPAP shortage, the medical device competition moves in.
August 18, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Hair Straightener Litigation Raising Cancer Awareness ]
Chicago, IL As hair straightener litigation is making headlines, black girls and women who frequently use chemical hair straighteners are increasingly becoming aware of hair relaxer risks, including uterine cancer and breast cancer.
July 25, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Hernia Mesh Updates: Bard Trial and FDA’s Pros and Cons ]
Santa Clara, CAC.R. Bard’s request to replace the final two bellwether hernia mesh injury cases previously selected for trial, arguing that the claims are no longer representative of other claims pending in the litigation, were denied by U.S. District Judge Sargus. Bard’s reasoning is that plaintiffs’ injuries have worsened since filing their complaints: pain has advanced to severe injury.
July 24, 2023. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ 3M to Settle PFAS/PFOA Water Contamination Lawsuit for $10.3 Billion ]
Stuart, FL On June 22, the 3M Company announced that it had agreed to settle a perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl (PFAS/PFOA) lawsuit brought by the City of Stuart, Florida for $10.3 billion. This will end the first bellwether PFAS lawsuit brought as part of the multidistrict litigation consolidated in the District of South Carolina. The settlement follows similar agreements made by Chemours, DuPont and Corteva. More settlements may be on the horizon. The collective judgment of the chemical companies seems to be that limiting future financial liability may be the best they can do. Although the details of each of these toxic contamination lawsuits are different, some facts are common.
July 14, 2023. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Philadelphia’s Roundup Lawsuits get Trial Dates and New York Settlement ]
Philadelphia, PA The first Philadelphia Monsanto Roundup bellwether case is set to begin jury selection in early October, a decision that plaintiffs’ attorney say is good for everyone involved. And in June, Bayer and Monsanto agreed to settle with New York for close to $7 million.
- Hair Relaxer Makers Challenge Hair Straightener Cancer Lawsuits as more Complaints Filed By Jane Mundy (Jul-13-23)
- J&J Talcum Powder Lawsuit Begins May 31, Despite Bankruptcy Stay By Anne Wallace (Jun-27-23)
- Plaintiff Alleges Surgical Mesh “Traumatizing” By Jane Mundy (Jun-26-23)
- CPAP Lawsuit Spike Linked to Statute of Limitations By Jane Mundy (Jun-21-23)
- Hair Relaxer Lawsuit Update By Jane Mundy (Jun-19-23)
- State AGs Join Opposition to LTL Bankruptcy in Talcum Powder Lawsuits By Anne Wallace (May-29-23)
- Hair Relaxer Lawsuit Update By Jane Mundy (May-28-23)
- Philips CPAP Recall and Test Results Update By Jane Mundy (May-24-23)
- Enfamil Linked to Preemie Blindness, Cerebral Palsy By Anne Wallace (May-23-23)
- Johnson & Johnson Offers $8.9 Billion to Settle Talcum Powder Lawsuits By Anne Wallace (Apr-29-23)
- Can PFAS and PFOAs be Scrubbed from Drinking Water? By Anne Wallace (Apr-27-23)
- New Study Links Monsanto’s Roundup to Children’s Liver Disease By Jane Mundy (Apr-21-23)
- Trial Set for Bard Hernia Mesh Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Apr-14-23)
- Hair Straightener Lawsuits Growing By Jane Mundy (Apr-6-23)
- CPAP Sleep Machine Recall Update By Jane Mundy (Apr-5-23)
- Department of Defense Testing for Veterans’ Hearing Loss Falls on Deaf Ears at 3M By Jane Mundy (Mar-23-23)
- Thinx, Inc. to Settle PFAS/PFOA Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Mar-20-23)
- Judge Irate Over 3M Earplugs Litigation By Jane Mundy (Jan-23-23)
- Another Philips CPAP Cancer Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Jan-18-23)
- 3M Promises to end PFAS Toxic Chemical Production by 2025 By Jane Mundy (Jan-11-23)
- Filing a Bair Hugger Lawsuit: Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (Jan-3-23)
- Asbestos Mesothelioma Victims Stymied by Bestwall LLC Bankruptcy By Anne Wallace (Dec-27-22)
- California Files PFAS/PFOA Lawsuit against 3M Company By Anne Wallace (Dec-26-22)
- CPAP Recall Gone Wrong Nearing Settlement with Philips and Justice Department By Jane Mundy (Dec-14-22)
- Veterans Want Stay Lifted on 3M Earplug Hearing Loss Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Dec-9-22)
- North Carolina Sues 3M Co. for PFAS/PFOA Environmental Damage By Anne Wallace (Dec-5-22)
- 3M Earplug Injury Verdict of $50M Firm By Jane Mundy (Nov-28-22)
- Department of Defense to Stop Using PFAS-Based Firefighting Foam in 2024 By Anne Wallace (Nov-14-22)
- CDC: Preemies and Low Birth Weight Babies Have No Access to Breast Milk at 13 Percent of Neonatal Intensive C By Anne Wallace (Oct-11-22)
- PFAS Water Contamination Lawsuits Update By Jane Mundy (Oct-5-22)
- Last-Ditch Effort for 3M Bair Hugger Appeal By Jane Mundy (Oct-4-22)
- Two More Philips CPAP Sleep Machine Recalls By Jane Mundy (Sep-9-22)
- Lawsuit: Philips Knew CPAP Sleep Machines Link to Cancer By Jane Mundy (Jul-28-22)
- Abbott Formula and ‘Absurd’ Loophole By Jane Mundy (Jul-25-22)
- Toxic Herbicide Paraquat Lawsuit Claims and Risk of Parkinson’s Disease By LAS Staff Writer (Jul-15-22)
- Abbott Laboratories Investigated by FDA who is Investigated by Lawmakers By Jane Mundy (Jun-9-22)
- Bacteria one main reason for Baby Formula Shortage By Jane Mundy (May-30-22)
- Philips CPAP Machines – More Wrongful Death Lawsuits? By Jane Mundy (May-27-22)
- Bard v. Milanesi Good News for Hernia Mesh Victims By Jane Mundy (May-17-22)
- Two Open-Heart Surgery Outcomes Involving Stockert 3T Heater-Cooler System By Jane Mundy (Apr-29-22)