Legal News Articles - Employment
June 15, 2010. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Charter Shells Out $18 Million to Settle California Overtime Suit ]
St. Louis, MO Charter Communications has agreed to pay a total of $18 million to settle a wage and hour class action lawsuit stemming from allegations that the company failed to properly compensate overtime pay in California, Missouri, Michigan, Minnesota, Illinois, Nevada, Washington, Oregon and Nebraska.
June 11, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Georgia Employers Charged with Transporting, Employing Illegal Aliens ]
Atlanta, GA A number of individuals have been charged with Georgia employment violations stemming from the importation and use of illegal aliens for restaurant jobs.
June 8, 2010. By Charles Benson.
Read [ New California Labor Law Could Help Grant Overtime Pay to Farm Workers ]
Shafter, CA In an effort to improve labor relations and efforts statewide, Senator Dean Florez has introduced a new bill that would guarantee farm laborers access to overtime pay under California labor laws.
June 7, 2010. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Bank of America Sued For Overtime ]
Washington, DC An overtime lawsuit has been filed against Bank of America, alleging the bank failed to pay overtime to employees. The lawsuit, filed June 4, 2010, alleges the bank violated overtime laws in California, Florida, Washington, Kansas and Texas.
June 5, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Help Finally on the Way for California Overtime Victims ]
Los Angeles, CA To all who have been denied California overtime, help is finally on the way. In April identical bills were introduced to both houses of Congress in an effort to amend the provisions of the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Representative Lynn Woolsey undertook the presentation of HR 5107—the Employee Misclassification Prevention Act (EMPA)—in the House of Representatives.
May 27, 2010. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Nurse Believes She Qualifies for California Overtime ]
Palmdale, CA Susan, a registered nurse (RN), works about 60 hours per week and wants to know if she is entitled to California overtime. "When I was hired the manager said the job would require occasional overtime, but I was salaried and exempt," she says. "It was okay now and again, but not anymore. Because RNs are exempt, we have been taken advantage of."
May 25, 2010. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Homecare Nurses Sue Gentiva ]
Washington, DC Home healthcare provider Gentiva has been hit with an overtime lawsuit alleging its compensation plan shortchanges its thousands of nurses and physiotherapists across the US. "It is an unusual pay scheme," says attorney Christine Webber, who filed the suit on behalf a group of nurses from North Carolina and New York State. "Certain activities are done on an hourly basis; other activities are on a fee basis, other activities they don't count at all."
May 24, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Transgender Employee Sues for Wrongful Termination in California ]
Los Angeles, CA A transgendered former employee of Macy's in California has filed a wrongful termination lawsuit against the retail giant citing harassment, discrimination and other grievances. Jason "Jazz" Araquel, 21, filed her wrongful employment termination lawsuit on April 16 in the Los Angeles Superior Court. Araquel is seeking wrongful termination damages and compensation for emotional distress, pain and suffering, loss of dignity, legal costs and attorney's fees.
May 24, 2010. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Baxter Receives 404(c) Protection in Employee Stock Plan Lawsuit ]
Chicago, IL There has been a breakthrough in an ERISA plan lawsuit brought against the health and science corporation Baxter, as a district judge has granted the company 404 (c) protection as it pertains to stock dropping.
May 21, 2010. By Charles Benson.
Read [ IBM Faces off Against the State of Indiana in New IT Overtime Lawsuit ]
Indianapolis, IN The state of Indiana and computer support giant IBM are currently embroiled in a contentious IT overtime lawsuit over a terminated outsourcing deal which had intended to allow the company to overhaul and modernize the state's welfare eligibility system.
- Out-of-State Contractors Hit with California Overtime Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (May-20-10)
- Unpaid Overtime Just One Missing Piece in Employee Misclassification Puzzle By Gordon Gibb (May-19-10)
- Tugboat Operator Faces Judges Next Week in Jones Act Lawsuit By Charles Benson (May-18-10)
- NITEL Sued by Union for Alleged Illinois Employment Violations By Gordon Gibb (May-15-10)
- Workers Who Fall Through Cracks of Florida Labor Law Now Have an Option By Gordon Gibb (May-12-10)
- Construction Foreman in Wisconsin Sues Former Employer over Wrongful Termination By Charles Benson (May-12-10)
- Maritime Workers Pursuing Negligence Lawsuit Against Texas Oil Company By Charles Benson (May-11-10)
- Georgia Employment Lawsuit Results in $18M Settlement By Heidi Turner (May-8-10)
- New York Employment Violations: Zero Tolerance By Jane Mundy (May-5-10)
- California Overtime Problems Stemming from May Day Riots Could Lead to More Police Hires By Charles Benson (May-5-10)
- Video Game Developer Faces New Lawsuit over Alleged Violations of California Labor Law By Charles Benson (May-3-10)
- Fire Crews Concerned about Ohio Labor Laws that Limit Hours By Charles Benson (Apr-29-10)
- Wal-Mart Employment Discrimination Class Action to Proceed By Lucy Campbell (Apr-26-10)
- Boston Company Faces Class Action Suit over Violations of ERISA Plan By Charles Benson (Apr-22-10)
- Medical Marijuana Law Could Cost Oregon Workers Their Jobs By Charles Benson (Apr-21-10)
- Illinois Police Commander Sues Local Village over Overtime Pay By Charles Benson (Apr-19-10)
- Building Workers Plan Strike over New York Labor Law By Charles Benson (Apr-17-10)
- A Litany of California Labor Law Violations By Jane Mundy (Apr-13-10)
- Final Four Coal Miners Found Dead By Heidi Turner (Apr-10-10)
- West Virginia Mine: Another Massey Energy Lawsuit? By Jane Mundy (Apr-9-10)
- No Lunch Break—Is It an Overtime Violation? By Jane Mundy (Apr-9-10)
- West Virginia Coal Mine Explodes, Kills 25 By Lucy Campbell (Apr-6-10)
- Agency Monitoring California Labor Law Comes under Fire for Workplace Safety Violations By Charles Benson (Apr-6-10)
- Famous Restaurant Chain Faces California Overtime Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Apr-3-10)
- Massachusetts Construction Company Settles Overtime Pay Lawsuit for $162,000 By Charles Benson (Mar-31-10)
- Medical Marijuana and Job Loss By Lucy Campbell (Mar-25-10)
- Former Boyfriend Hits Lady Gaga with Employment Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Mar-25-10)
- Two Contractors Barred over California Overtime Violations By Gordon Gibb (Mar-23-10)
- Michigan Man Files Wrongful Termination Suit Against Ford Dealer By Charles Benson (Mar-20-10)
- Hospitality Overtime Lawsuits Heating Up By Jane Mundy (Mar-18-10)
- More Men Reporting Sexual Harassment in the Workplace By Charles Benson (Mar-18-10)
- New California Labor Law Aimed at Safety in the Porn Industry By Charles Benson (Mar-15-10)
- California Employers in Trouble for Not Paying Overtime By Heidi Turner (Mar-13-10)
- Georgia Employees Allege Discrimination By Heidi Turner (Mar-12-10)
- Ohio Refinery Ordered to Pay Nearly $1 Million in Owed Overtime Pay By Gordon Gibb (Mar-10-10)
- California Overtime Pay Is the First of Budget Cuts at Sheriff's Office By Charles Benson (Mar-9-10)
- Lawsuit Alleges Blackstone Violated Massachusetts Labor Law By Charles Benson (Mar-8-10)
- Discrimination Case Against Abercrombie & Fitch Not the First By Gordon Gibb (Mar-6-10)
- Were Campus Vandal Watchers in California Paid Employees? By Gordon Gibb (Mar-4-10)
- Abercrombie & Fitch Face Complaints of Discrimination By Lucy Campbell (Feb-26-10)