Legal News Articles - Employment
July 25, 2010. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Fired Bus Driver's Lawsuit Could Change Ohio Employment Laws ]
Cincinnati, OH A Cincinnati-based transit company is being sued over its hiring practices in a lawsuit that could have major implications for national and Ohio employment laws.
July 23, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Record New York Labor Law Compliance Award ]
New York, NY In what is described as the largest recovery of lost wages in the building services industry in New York, the city's Comptroller's office announced a $1 million New York employment recovery and settlement agreement with Capital Cleaning Contractors Inc. The compliance award was negotiated on behalf of 33 underpaid New York employees.
July 23, 2010. By Charles Benson.
Read [ California Overtime Bill for Farm Workers Awaits Governor's Signature ]
Sacramento, CA A bill that already passed through the California legislature and is awaiting the signature of Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger could drastically change California overtime laws for farm workers.
July 21, 2010. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Department of Labor Files ERISA Lawsuit Against Georgia Attorney ]
Savannah, GA The US Department of Labor has filed a lawsuit against a Georgia attorney for allegedly violating the Employee Retirement Income Security Act, or ERISA.
July 18, 2010. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Can Comp Time Replace Overtime? ]
Miami, FL "Today's employers believe that they can give comp time—one hour time off for every hour worked passed 40 hours—but I know that is an overtime violation," says Martin.
July 17, 2010. By Charles Benson.
Read [ After One Year, New Jersey Labor Law Considered a Success ]
Trenton, NJ A one-year-old New Jersey labor law that allows for paid family leave has been considered a success thus far, according to the Asbury Park Press.
July 15, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Minnesota-Based Firm Accused of Denying Technicians Overtime Pay ]
New Hope, MN A Minnesota labor law with national implications has resulted in a federal lawsuit, brought by technicians who claim Multiband Corp. (Multiband) is circumventing the legal requirement to pay overtime for hours worked above 40 in any given week. Filed on July 1, the federal lawsuit named Multiband Corp. of New Hope, Minnesota as the defendant.
July 14, 2010. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ A Bad Day at Work for Discrimination ]
Chicago, IL Attorney Robb Stokar does a lot of workplace discrimination cases in his Chicago practice and he is never really very surprised by the kinds of things people endure. "People come to me with their workplace complaints on a daily basis," says Stokar. "There are daily workplace transgressions in this country. Some are reported and others are not."
July 14, 2010. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Attorney Helps Single Mom in Overtime Lawsuit ]
Modesto, CA Kim's attorney—whom she found through LawyersandSettlements—said she definitely has a California overtime case against her former employer. "He asked if I would be happy with $10,000 and that is more than I expected," says Kim. "Thank god my attorney is working on a contingency basis—now I have hope."
July 13, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Construction Accident Round-up: One Dead, Two Injured in Separate Accidents ]
Waverly, IA A construction accident recently claimed the life of a construction worker in Iowa. In a separate incident, two others were seriously injured when scaffolding collapsed at a construction site in Massachusetts. The unfortunate mishaps illustrate how dangerous construction work can be and how important it is to follow safety protocol onsite.
- Gulf Oil Spill Impacts BP Employee Pension Plan By Charles Benson (Jul-13-10)
- San Fran Attorney Shocked by Pregnancy Bias By Brenda Craig (Jul-12-10)
- Billboard Manufacturer Settles Sexual Harassment Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Jul-12-10)
- Medical Marijuana Case Could Affect Michigan Labor Laws By Charles Benson (Jul-9-10)
- Is Double Dipping a Violation of Massachusetts Labor Law? By Gordon Gibb (Jul-8-10)
- California Labor Law Could Pay State Workers Minimum Wage By Charles Benson (Jul-5-10)
- Change to Illinois Labor Law Boosts Minimum Wage By Charles Benson (Jul-4-10)
- Farm Workers Look for Support in California Overtime Vote By Gordon Gibb (Jul-2-10)
- New York Set to Give Nannies Overtime, Other Rights By Charles Benson (Jul-2-10)
- Night Attendant Owed California Overtime—Big Time By Jane Mundy (Jun-27-10)
- IRS Working to Bring "Church" Pension Plans under ERISA By Charles Benson (Jun-23-10)
- Hardware Store Chain Faces Second Lawsuit for Unpaid Overtime By Gordon Gibb (Jun-17-10)
- ESPN Facing Wrongful Termination Lawsuit from Former Production By Charles Benson (Jun-15-10)
- Charter Shells Out $18 Million to Settle California Overtime Suit By Charles Benson (Jun-15-10)
- Georgia Employers Charged with Transporting, Employing Illegal Aliens By Gordon Gibb (Jun-11-10)
- New California Labor Law Could Help Grant Overtime Pay to Farm Workers By Charles Benson (Jun-8-10)
- Bank of America Sued For Overtime By Heidi Turner (Jun-7-10)
- Help Finally on the Way for California Overtime Victims By Gordon Gibb (Jun-5-10)
- Nurse Believes She Qualifies for California Overtime By Jane Mundy (May-27-10)
- Homecare Nurses Sue Gentiva By Brenda Craig (May-25-10)
- Transgender Employee Sues for Wrongful Termination in California By Gordon Gibb (May-24-10)
- Baxter Receives 404(c) Protection in Employee Stock Plan Lawsuit By Charles Benson (May-24-10)
- IBM Faces off Against the State of Indiana in New IT Overtime Lawsuit By Charles Benson (May-21-10)
- Out-of-State Contractors Hit with California Overtime Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (May-20-10)
- Unpaid Overtime Just One Missing Piece in Employee Misclassification Puzzle By Gordon Gibb (May-19-10)
- Tugboat Operator Faces Judges Next Week in Jones Act Lawsuit By Charles Benson (May-18-10)
- NITEL Sued by Union for Alleged Illinois Employment Violations By Gordon Gibb (May-15-10)
- Workers Who Fall Through Cracks of Florida Labor Law Now Have an Option By Gordon Gibb (May-12-10)
- Construction Foreman in Wisconsin Sues Former Employer over Wrongful Termination By Charles Benson (May-12-10)
- Maritime Workers Pursuing Negligence Lawsuit Against Texas Oil Company By Charles Benson (May-11-10)
- Georgia Employment Lawsuit Results in $18M Settlement By Heidi Turner (May-8-10)
- New York Employment Violations: Zero Tolerance By Jane Mundy (May-5-10)
- California Overtime Problems Stemming from May Day Riots Could Lead to More Police Hires By Charles Benson (May-5-10)
- Video Game Developer Faces New Lawsuit over Alleged Violations of California Labor Law By Charles Benson (May-3-10)
- Fire Crews Concerned about Ohio Labor Laws that Limit Hours By Charles Benson (Apr-29-10)
- Wal-Mart Employment Discrimination Class Action to Proceed By Lucy Campbell (Apr-26-10)
- Boston Company Faces Class Action Suit over Violations of ERISA Plan By Charles Benson (Apr-22-10)
- Medical Marijuana Law Could Cost Oregon Workers Their Jobs By Charles Benson (Apr-21-10)
- Illinois Police Commander Sues Local Village over Overtime Pay By Charles Benson (Apr-19-10)
- Building Workers Plan Strike over New York Labor Law By Charles Benson (Apr-17-10)