LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATIONDiscrimination
Legal News Articles - Discrimination
October 23, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Google Employee Tagged as “Too Old” May Yet Have the Last Word ]
San Jose, CA Cheryl Fillekes’s age discrimination lawsuit against Google alleges violations of the federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) and corresponding provisions of California labor law, the Fair Housing and Employment Discrimination Act (FEHA). Having cleared the hurdle of class action certification, it now appears poised to settle.
August 16, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Retail giant Target Settles California Labor Lawsuits over Cashier Seating for $9 million. ]
Oakland, CA: A California judge has given the green light to settle several California labor lawsuits alleging the retail giant violated California’s Private Attorneys General Act by failing to provide seating for more than 90,000 cashiers.
December 24, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Dallas, TX: In a recent hip replacement trial, plaintiffs’ lawyer showed to the jury records whereby DePuy paid its Pinnacle hip "design surgeons" more than $184 million in royalties that he argued were kickbacks. And jurors watched a video of a 2008 DePuy sales conference themed “Taking Share of Business”. To the lyrics of “Takin’ Care of Business” by the rock group Bachman-Turner Overdrive, DePuy’s former top marketer leads a parade with costumed alligators, a bloodied man with a hatchet and a giant metal hip implant. The plaintiffs won.Read [ DePuy Hip’s Million Dollar Surgeons “Taking Share of Business” ]
September 27, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Los Angeles, CA: A former Facebook employee, 52-year-old Gary Glouner, alleges in a lawsuit filed in California Superior Court that he was unlawfully terminated from his job in November, 2015. The suit alleges the company discriminated against him because of a minor cognitive disability and because he was not part of the company’s preferred demographic of “recent college graduates” or a “digital native”.Read [ Facebook Slapped with Disability and Age Discrimination Lawsuit with Whistleblower Allegation ]
May 26, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Oakland, CA Legal team representing a 44-year-old African American man who claims he was harassed and discriminated against while working as an assembly line worker at the Tesla car factory in Fremont, California is adding a charge of retaliation to the already long list of claims of violations of the California state labor laws.Read [ Retaliation to be added to Tesla Inc. Workplace Racial Discrimination Suit ]
February 25, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Alpharetta, GA: A group of women employed by LexisNexis Risk Solutions in the state of Georgia will share in a $1.2 million settlement alleging pay discrimination due to gender. The 185 women in Georgia will be joined by 26 workers in Florida receiving back pay stemming from gender discrimination, a violation of Georgia employment and federal laws.Read [ Contractor to US Government Cited for Equal Pay Violations, Settles for $1.2 Million ]
November 6, 2016. By Jane Mundy.
San Francisco, CA: In this day and age, discrimination should be the dinosaur in the workplace. But in the last few months alone, California seems to have stepped back in time. California labor lawsuits, from disability to pregnancy employment discrimination, have been recently filed.Read [ California Workplace Discrimination Dinosaurs ]
September 28, 2016. By Lucy Campbell.
Santa Clara, CA: Another police shooting of an innocent African American man, this time in a San Diego suburb, has sparked further protests claiming police misconduct and racism.Read [ Another Unarmed Black Man Shot and Killed by Police ]
September 23, 2016. By Brenda Craig.
New York, NY Alan Cohen was stunned when he was told his contract at an exclusive New City private school would not be renewed. He had an exemplary 20-year-career as a teacher with the New York City Department of Education and 7 more years as an administrator in the private school system. However, 13 months after taking up his new position at the Speyer Legacy School, in New York City, Cohen was suddenly told he wasn’t “a good fit”.Read [ Gay Teacher Fails “Good Fit Test” at New York Private School ]
April 14, 2016. By The National Trial Lawyers.
The North Carolina “Public Facilities Privacy & Security Act,” or House Bill 2 (“HB2”) is arguably the most anti-LGBT statute that has ever been passed in the United States of America. But HB2 is about more than just adding limits on what local government entities can do regarding public bathroom usage.Read [ North Carolina’s “Bathroom Bill” Has Serious Implications for State Employment Law ]
- Who’s Hispanic? New Trial After White Applicant Receives $1.3 Million for Race Discrimination By The National Trial Lawyers (Mar-10-16)
- California Judge Certifies Discrimination Class Action Suit for Female Attorneys By The National Trial Lawyers (Dec-31-15)
- Parents of Autistic Children Sue Disney Park By Brenda Craig (Nov-20-15)
- Age Discrimination “Rampant” Says Attorney Lisa Maki By Brenda Craig (Nov-13-15)
- Boston Jury Awards $11M to Public Servant for Race Discrimination and Retaliation By The National Trial Lawyers (Oct-29-15)
- $4 Million Award in L.A. for Hispanic Boss Harassing Disabled White Coworker By The National Trial Lawyers (Aug-14-15)
- Female Mounties Allege Gender Harassment in Class-Action Hearing By Gordon Gibb (Jun-3-15)
- Age Discrimination Case Against Zillow Can Proceed By The National Trial Lawyers (Mar-13-15)
- Retaliation Remains the #1 Employment Law Claim By The National Trial Lawyers (Mar-5-15)
- A Tough Title IX Fight in Alabama for BHJ By Brenda Craig (Feb-23-15)
- The Case of Ms. Jane Doe and Title IX By Brenda Craig (Feb-19-15)
- Celebrity’s Nanny Sues for California Overtime – California Nanny Law Update By Jane Mundy (Oct-5-13)
- School Districts Are Not Liable for Money Damages from the Misidentification of Students As Disabled... By LAS Staff Writer (Sep-18-13)
- Gender Harassment in One of the World’s Most Respected Police Forces By Brenda Craig (Jun-25-13)
- New York Employers Face Employment Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Nov-25-12)
- Overtime Bonus Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Oct-7-12)
- 2000 Walmart Discrimination Cases Filed Across the US By Lucy Campbell (Jun-12-12)
- Publix Managers File Unpaid Overtime Class Action Lawsuit By Abi Kistler (Apr-27-12)
- College Discrimination: Supreme Court Weighs In—Again By Jane Mundy (Feb-25-12)
- Merck Shuts Down Propecia Website By Lucy Campbell (Feb-9-12)
- YAZ/Yasmin Increases Risk of Blood Clots by 75 Percent, Says FDA Study By Lucy Campbell (Oct-31-11)
- Lilly Pulls Sepsis Drug WorldWide By Lucy Campbell (Oct-25-11)
- Costco Discrimination Class Action Saved By Lucy Campbell (Sep-19-11)
- US Supreme Court Strikes Down Massive Wal-Mart Class Action By Gordon Gibb (Jun-20-11)
- Maryland Nonprofit Group Files Housing Lawsuit By Charles Benson (Nov-30-10)
- Philadelphia Bartender Sues Employer for Alleged Racial Discrimination By Charles Benson (Nov-17-10)
- Government Probe into Elder Abuse Reveals Wide Spread Fraud By Lucy Campbell (Oct-27-10)
- California Labor Law: "Working at Blockbusters Is Like a Bad Movie" By Jane Mundy (Sep-30-10)
- Employee of Texas-Based Chain Wins $8.1 Million By Gordon Gibb (Sep-10-10)
- Title lX Doesn't Protect Against Bullying By Brenda Craig (Aug-1-10)
- Edison Discrimination Suit is Déjà Vu All Over Again By Brenda Craig (Jul-31-10)
- A Bad Day at Work for Discrimination By Brenda Craig (Jul-14-10)
- San Fran Attorney Shocked by Pregnancy Bias By Brenda Craig (Jul-12-10)
- Billboard Manufacturer Settles Sexual Harassment Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Jul-12-10)
- Denture Cream Lawsuit: Young People Aging Before Their Time By Heidi Turner (May-28-10)
- Transgender Employee Sues for Wrongful Termination in California By Gordon Gibb (May-24-10)
- Medical Marijuana and Job Loss By Lucy Campbell (Mar-25-10)
- Discrimination Case Against Abercrombie & Fitch Not the First By Gordon Gibb (Mar-6-10)
- Abercrombie & Fitch Face Complaints of Discrimination By Lucy Campbell (Feb-26-10)
- Abercrombie & Fitch Face Complaints of Religious Discrimination By Lucy Campbell (Feb-26-10)