LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATIONReal Estate
Legal News Articles - Real Estate
January 26, 2018. By LAS Staff Writer.
Miami, FL (January 24, 2018) A Florida judge signed an order today holding creditor, IH5 Property Florida LP with GP IH5 Borrower GP LLC, more commonly known as Invitation Homes, in contempt of court for intentional violation of the automatic stay. Miami bankruptcy attorney, Timothy S. Kingcade’s client filed a Chapter 7 petition on November 30, 2017. Despite having notice of the bankruptcy filing, on December 5, 2017, the creditor, Invitation Homes, proceeded to file an eviction action against the client. Attorney Kingcade filed a motion to hold the landlord in contempt of court for violating the automatic stay. The motion adequately showed that Isamar Alers of Invitation Homes had actual knowledge of the bankruptcy on November 30.Read [ Creditor Held in Contempt of Court for Violating Automatic Stay ]
December 14, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Trenton, NJ: Plaintiffs who bring home warranty lawsuits against home warranty companies commonly assert allegations of shoddy workmanship, delays or denials of claims. However in this case, the plaintiff alleged violations to New Jersey’s Consumer Fraud Act and Truth in Consumer Contract, Warrant and Notice Act with regard to a contract that was allegedly misleading in stated coverage periods, amongst other claims.Read [ Home Warranty Lawsuit Goes to the New Jersey Supreme Court ]
November 8, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Coquitlam, BC: The machinations and frustrations experienced by homeowners dealing with home warranty insurance is reflected in the dealings of one Canadian couple who told Global News last year that success with a home warranty provider appears to hinge on the capacity for a homeowner to push the envelope and make noise – through a home warranty lawsuit perhaps, or otherwise – in order to have any success with a claim.Read [ Canadian Couple’s Fight against Home Warranty Insurance a Full Time Job ]
October 24, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Orlando, FL: A Florida consumer has launched a Florida premises liability lawsuit against a Wal-Mart store in Orlando, alleging she was injured due to a problem with the flooring in the store. The Florida slip and fall lawsuit was filed in May.Read [ Between Slips, Falls and Dog Bites, Consumers Need to be Wary ]
October 8, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Wilmington, DE: It’s been a long wait for prospective plaintiffs with home defect issues dating back to as far back as 1999. With a formal request Wednesday to a Delaware bankruptcy court to lift a litigation stay in a long-running Chapter 7 bankruptcy involving builder WL Homes LLC (WL), the plaintiffs hope to launch a home warranty lawsuit and pursue compensation from the builder’s insurance provider.Read [ Long-Suffering Homeowners Hoping to Pursue Home Warranty Lawsuit ]
August 28, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Miami, FL: The legal machinations involving three insurers duking it out in court over Florida premises liability is overshadowing the suffering of a Florida woman who has undergone various amputation procedures involving her lower extremities following a snakebite on the grounds of her Miami-area condo.Read [ Snakebite Victim Waits While Insurance Companies Duke it Out in Court ]
July 30, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Broward County, FL: The tragic and horrific death of a resident of a gated community in Florida has evolved into a Florida premises liability lawsuit against, amongst others the operator of the community and the security company that warranted the community was safe and secure when in fact, or so it has been alleged, it wasn’t.Read [ Widower of Homicide Victim Alleges Florida Premises Liability ]
June 26, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Jacksonville, FL: While Florida premises liability runs the gamut from dog bites to slips and falls, proprietors of hot food and beverages are required to observe caution in order to avoid spills of hot liquid that could injure either an employee, or a customer. To that end, a Starbucks located in the Sunshine State has been hit with a $100,000 judgement over a hot-liquid spill that resulted in a consumer suffering a burn injury.Read [ Florida Premises Liability Lawsuit Results in Jury Award for Burn Victim ]
May 20, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Washington, DC: Victims of state-sponsored terrorism have begun to receive compensation under the United States Victims of State Sponsored Terrorism Act (USVSSTA), with payments flowing as of March of this year. While that’s good news for victims and their families harmed by such acts of terror, lawsuits continue to be filed by plaintiffs alleging that the playing field, as it were, is far from level.Read [ Payments Flowing to State Sponsored Terrorism Victims, but Lawsuits Continue ]
March 21, 2017. By Deb Hipp.
Washington, DC: A new law on state sponsored terrorism may soon allow relatives of people killed in the World Trade Center terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001 to sue Saudi Arabia over its alleged ties to the terror attacks.Read [ New Law May Allow 9/11 Families to Take Saudi Government Officials to Court ]
- Soberanes Wildfire Destroying Homes and Property By Lucy Campbell (Jul-25-16)
- Illinois Judge Affirms $2M Award for Wrongful Foreclosures By The National Trial Lawyers (Jan-8-16)
- Fee Free-For-All: California Real Estate Transactions Not Always As They Appear By Gordon Gibb (Mar-13-13)
- Illegal California Real Estate Fees Costing Consumers By Heidi Turner (Feb-25-13)
- S&P Faces Federal Lawsuit over 2008 Financial Crisis By Lucy Campbell (Feb-11-13)
- Reality Check: Illegal California Real Estate Fees By Gordon Gibb (Feb-11-13)
- Reverse Mortgage Lenders Allegedly Prey on Seniors By Heidi Turner (Oct-26-12)
- Customers Complain About Home Warranty Companies By Heidi Turner (Oct-25-12)
- Wildfire Lawsuits Allege Damage Caused by Utility Companies By Heidi Turner (Sep-28-12)
- Wildfires Destroy Homes as Evacuations Ordered in Southern California By Lucy Campbell (Sep-24-12)
- Investigation Underway into Mortgage Insurance Practices By Heidi Turner (Aug-21-12)
- Home Warranty Companies "Horrible" By Heidi Turner (Aug-20-12)
- Attorney Discusses Warranties vs Insurance and American Home Shield By Jane Mundy (Jun-25-12)
- New Home Warranty Lawsuits and Horror Stories By Gordon Gibb (Jun-13-12)
- Force-Placed Insurance Begat Huge Profits for Insurers: Hearings By Gordon Gibb (Jun-7-12)
- Owner Pleads Guilty in Bad Faith Insurance Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (May-14-12)
- Major Banks Hit by New Round of Foreclosure Lawsuits By Charles Benson (Dec-14-11)
- MassMutual Files UBS Lawsuit over Allegations of Hiding Risks By Charles Benson (May-19-11)
- Deutsche Bank Hit with Mortgage Lawsuit By Charles Benson (May-13-11)
- National City Bank Gone But Not Forgotten by Aggrieved Mortgage Holders By Brenda Craig (Apr-7-11)
- Attorney Chases Justice in Foreclosure Crisis By Brenda Craig (Feb-3-11)
- Chase Wrongly Overcharged and Foreclosed on Military Mortgages By Lucy Campbell (Jan-19-11)
- Maryland Nonprofit Group Files Housing Lawsuit By Charles Benson (Nov-30-10)
- Attorney Blasts Foreclosure Process in Florida By Brenda Craig (Nov-24-10)
- Everybody Deserves Due Process Says Attorney Gary Mason By Brenda Craig (Nov-12-10)
- When Bad Things Happen to Your Real Estate By Brenda Craig (Oct-22-10)
- Attorney Tracks Foreclosure Frauds and Files Class Action By Brenda Craig (Sep-6-10)
- Canadian Lawyer under Investigation for Possible Legal Malpractice By Gordon Gibb (Sep-6-10)
- Tales of Woe: Predatory Mortgage Fees and Products By Gordon Gibb (May-22-10)
- Gulf Oil Spill Damaging Lives and Livelihoods By Lucy Campbell (May-3-10)
- NAACP Accuses NJ Senators of Shady Practices in Affordable Housing Proposal By Charles Benson (Feb-11-10)
- Fire That Destroyed 170-Year-Old Church Ruled an Accident By Charles Benson (Jan-29-10)
- Drainage Problems Spark Construction Defect Suit By Brenda Craig (Jan-14-10)
- Mentally Impaired Student Wins Housing Claim Against Oakland University By Charles Benson (Jan-3-10)
- Actor Nicolas Cage Could Face Two $3 Million Contract Fraud Lawsuits By Charles Benson (Dec-30-09)
- Two New Jersey Men Convicted in Lawsuits Related to Mortgage Scams By Charles Benson (Dec-25-09)
- Tenant Sues Prospective Landlord for Denial of Application By Gordon Gibb (Dec-6-09)
- Bronx Tenants File Suit against Landlord over Unsafe Living Conditions By Charles Benson (Nov-27-09)
- Real estate lawsuits filed in California claim that defendants misappropriated funds By Charles Benson (Sep-28-09)
- Landlord and Tenant Disputes Can be Complex By Gordon Gibb (Sep-26-09)