LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATIONCivil/Human Rights
Legal News Articles - Civil/Human Rights
December 7, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ BBB Reports Debt Collector Harassment Complaints Up 58 Percent ]
Washington, DC The Better Business Bureau (BBB) is that venerable consumer group known for rating companies, businesses and corporations doing commerce in America, and in so doing providing a snapshot to the consumer of the company they’re dealing with. Lately, the BBB has begun to comment on the thorny issue of bill collector harassment.
November 30, 2013. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Tales from the Dark Side of Debt Collection ]
San Jose, CA More Americans than ever have debts they can’t pay because they lost a job or got sick, or their finances got out of hand for some reason. But as attorney Ben Dupre explains, it doesn’t mean that they need to be further victimized by the illegal tactics of unscrupulous debt collectors that try to harass people into paying up rather than take the lawful but more costly and time-consuming route through the courts.
November 27, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ New Debt Collection Regulations Under Consideration ]
Pittsburgh, PADebt collector harassment is already illegal in the United States, but laws have not stopped bill collector harassment from occurring. Every day, more people complain about being harassed by people attempting to collect on bills, regardless of whether the debts claimed are actually owed. Debt collector lawsuits have been filed, alleging consumers have been unfairly or illegally targeted, and now the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) is asking for input on debt collection experiences.
November 8, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Elderly Pennsylvania Woman Caught in Debt Collector Harassment Scam ]
Allentown, PA The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has come down hard on individuals accused of debt collector harassment, and especially harassment that is directed at seniors in an attempt to extort money from them for debts they do not owe through the practice of deception and fear-mongering.
October 27, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Bank of America to Pay $32 Million to Resolve Debt Collector Harassment Claims ]
New York, NY When it comes to debt collector harassment, it’s not just third-party companies charged with collecting debts who are accused of breaking the law. Bank of America has reportedly just agreed to pay $32 million to settle claims of bill collector harassment on the part of the bank. The debt collector lawsuit was filed after customers complained they received harassing phone calls from the bank.
October 13, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Collection Agency Agrees to $1 Million Civil Penalty for Debt Collector Harassment ]
Glendale, CA Having to deal with debt collector harassment is bad enough. But when bill collectors stoop so low as to pose as attorneys and threaten harried consumers with lawsuits, not only is it morally wrong, such deception is patently against the law and fodder for a debt collector lawsuit.
September 30, 2013. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Make Debt Collectors Pay for Harassing You ]
Riverview, FL If you have debts you can’t pay and the bill collector is hounding you - don’t let them get away with it. The Fair Debt Collection Act was enacted by Congress to protect consumers from unscrupulous debt collectors that are only too willing to call you dozens of times a day, make threats to seize your property and otherwise try to harass you into paying up.
September 29, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Debt Collector Harassment Finds a New Crusader ]
Washington, DC The incoming director of the new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) appears to have his work cut out for him, in view of the explosion of Internet payday loan sites and rising incidents of debt collector harassment.
September 6, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ States Warn About Debt Collector Harassment ]
Milwaukee, WI As more and more consumers file complaints about debt collector harassment, more states are getting involved, warning about bill collector harassment and other unethical tactics used by debt collectors. Debt collector lawsuits have been filed against unscrupulous bill collectors, some of whom harass people who do not actually owe a debt.
August 4, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ New York Eyes Anti-Debt Collector Harassment Laws ]
New York, NY New York is eyeing regulations to prevent debt collector harassment committed against consumers. The regulations, announced in a news release issued by the New York Department of Financial Services, would protect consumers from bill collector harassment and abusive collection practices.
- When Bill Collection Is a Scam By Heidi Turner (Jun-29-13)
- Inside Illegal Debt Collection Harassment: Why It Happens By Gordon Gibb (Jun-11-13)
- Protecting Yourself from Debt Collector Harassment By Heidi Turner (May-10-13)
- Debt Collector Harassment Horror Stories Are Sometimes Chilling By Gordon Gibb (Mar-26-13)
- S&P Faces Federal Lawsuit over 2008 Financial Crisis By Lucy Campbell (Feb-11-13)
- Sears Peeping Tom Facing Class Action by Female Victims By Lucy Campbell (Jun-19-12)
- Sears Peeping Tom Case Could Impact Thousands By Gordon Gibb (May-7-12)
- Peeping Tom Employee Arrested at North Hollywood Sears By Lucy Campbell (Apr-20-12)
- Attorney Makes New Case Law to Protect Privacy of the Families of the Dead By Brenda Craig (Feb-25-12)
- Pennsylvania Hotel to Pay for Discrimination By Brenda Craig (Sep-26-11)
- Public Defense System under Fire in Washington State By Brenda Craig (Jul-19-11)
- Questionable Deaths Reported in Florida's Assisted Living Facilities By Lucy Campbell (May-11-11)
- Lebanon School District Sued for Excessive Truancy Fines By Brenda Craig (Feb-9-11)
- There Is Justice for All By Brenda Craig (Feb-6-11)
- Sexual Violence Against Female Residents of Chicago Nursing Homes By Lucy Campbell (Jan-28-11)
- Is Taser Abuse out of Control? By Jane Mundy (Jan-7-11)
- A Good Day for Gay Service Members and the ACLU By Jane Mundy (Dec-22-10)
- Government Probe into Elder Abuse Reveals Wide Spread Fraud By Lucy Campbell (Oct-27-10)
- Philadelphia Housing Authority Employees Sue By Brenda Craig (Sep-26-10)
- Atlanta Offers $4.9 Million to End Wrongful Death Lawsuit By Charles Benson (Aug-19-10)
- Battle Brews over Lower Manhattan Proposed Mosque By Brenda Craig (Jul-27-10)
- Ohio Woman Withdraws Guilty Plea in Nursing Home Abuse Case By Charles Benson (Jul-13-10)
- Funeral Home Stacked Bodies in Garage By Lucy Campbell (May-5-10)
- Wal-Mart Employment Discrimination Class Action to Proceed By Lucy Campbell (Apr-26-10)
- Abercrombie & Fitch Face Complaints of Religious Discrimination By Lucy Campbell (Feb-26-10)
- New Lawsuit Alleges that Boston Police Violated Civil Rights of Man Who Videotaped Arrest By Charles Benson (Feb-5-10)
- Taser Death "Could Be Considered to Be Torture" By Gordon Gibb (Jan-29-10)
- Legless Man Tasered by Police, Alleges Abuse By Gordon Gibb (Jan-25-10)
- Massachusetts Employment Attorneys May Take Issue with the State Legislature Over Sealed Employment Records By Charles Benson (Jan-21-10)
- Taser Was Instrument of Excessive Force, Says Attorney By Brenda Craig (Jan-11-10)
- Kentucky Man Seeks $15 Million in Police Brutality Lawsuit By Charles Benson (Jan-2-10)
- Grieving Mother Receives $100,000 in Wrongful Death Damages from Louisiana Sheriff Department By Charles Benson (Dec-30-09)
- Transgender Teen Files Discrimination Claim under Florida Employment Law By Charles Benson (Dec-21-09)
- Famed Civil Rights Lawyer Subject of New Film By Gordon Gibb (Nov-16-09)
- Civil Rights Violations Alleged at Burbank Police Force By Gordon Gibb (Oct-7-09)
- 3 indicted over civil rights violations in prison By Charles Benson (Sep-23-09)
- "This Noose is for You" By Brenda Craig (Aug-27-09)
- Ohio Drivers Miffed by Sale of Private Info By Brenda Craig (Jul-11-09)
- Sensitive Hospital Records Left on Train a Breach of Civil Human Rights By Gordon Gibb (Jun-7-09)
- Firm Turns the Tables on Debt Collectors By Brenda Craig (May-26-09)