LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Overtime Legal News Articles & Interviews
April 12, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Revel Systems to Settle California Unpaid Wages Lawsuit for $2.75 Million ]
Oakland, CA The District Court for the Northern District of California has approved a settlement in a class action California unpaid wages lawsuit. In the lawsuit, Bisaccia v. Revel Systems, a group of inside sales representatives claim that Revel Systems, Inc. (Revel) failed to pay overtime wages as required under the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Under the terms of the settlement, a group of 149 plaintiffs will share a total of $2.75 million.
April 8, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Workers Win California Unpaid Wages Lawsuit over Shift Call-Ins ]
Los Angeles, CA It is clear that workers who show up for a shift but are then told to go home because there is not enough work are entitled to wages under California law. The decision in Ward v. Tilly’s, a recent California unpaid wages lawsuit takes it a step further. If you have to call before your scheduled shift is to begin to find out if you really should go in, then you are entitled to wages for a portion of your shift, even if the answer is “no.”
Northern California Horse Training Facilities Busted for Wage and Hour Violations and Inhumane Workers’ Housing
April 3, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Oakland, CA: A Northern California owner and operator of two horse training facilities--Portola Valley Training Center in Menlo Park and Gilroy Gaits in Hollister, doing business as EWC & Associates Inc.—has been reigned in by federal court and ordered to pay $1,270,683 to 30 employees for several work visa program violations and California labor law violations.Read [ Northern California Horse Training Facilities Busted for Wage and Hour Violations and Inhumane Workers’ Housing ]
March 11, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Jamba Juice Feels the Squeeze in California Unpaid Wages Lawsuit ]
Los Angeles, CA Superior Court Judge Carolyn B. Kuhl has approved Jamba Juice’s offer to settle a class action California unpaid wages lawsuit for $1.95 million. The plaintiffs in Arteaga v. Jamba Juice claimed that the smoothie chain forced nearly 5,500 employees to work off the clock – through meal breaks and without proper overtime pay.
March 1, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ California Misclassified Independent Contractors Settle for Employee Status—is it the Right Choice? ]
Santa Clara, CA: From strippers to cooks to construction workers, independent contractors who say they are misclassified under California labor laws may want to take into consideration what they stand to lose before filing a misclassification lawsuit to be classified as an employee. Sure, the benefits are enticing but they come at a price, such as loss of independence
February 7, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Trouble ahead for California trucker wage lawsuits? ]
Los Angeles, CA The California Labor Commissioner awarded 24 truck port drivers a total of $6 million for unpaid wages and benefits. The underpayment arose from NFI/California Cartage Express’s practice of intentionally misclassifying the drivers as independent contractors, rather than as employees. Since the 2018 California Supreme Court decision in Dynamex Operations West, Inc. v. Superior Court, many California unpaid wage lawsuits that deal with misclassification problem have gone for workers. Dynamex is under legal assault, however, particularly in the trucking industry.
January 30, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Underground Economy Keeping California’s Field Enforcers Busy ]
San Diego, CA: The Labor Commissioner’s Office is cracking down on California’s underground economy. Daniel Yu, Assistant Chief with the Bureau of Field Enforcement is charged with making sure employers comply with California labor laws, and that every worker, including illegals, is entitled to full protection.
January 7, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Hewlett-Packard Enterprises Named in Gender Pay Discrimination Lawsuit ]
Santa Clara, CA In late 2018, R. Ross and C. Rogus filed a class action California unpaid wages lawsuit against Hewlett-Packard Enterprise (HPE) that describes a pattern of gender-based pay discrimination. It’s hardly news, you think, that tech giants underpay women.
December 10, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Employers can be Liable for California Wage-Hour Violations ]
Sacramento, CA: Can an individual be held liable for alleged California wage law violations?
December 7, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ California Unpaid Wages Lawsuit Goes to Jail ]
San Diego, CA A year and a half ago, Sylvester Owino and Jonathan Gomez filed a California unpaid wages lawsuit against CoreCivic, a for-profit business that runs private prisons, including the Otay Mesa Detention Center in San Diego. The lawsuit alleges violations of federal human trafficking laws and California labor laws relating to minimum wage, overtime, and meal breaks, among other things. Discovery is expected to continue into March 2019, with a trial to follow.
- California Independent Contractor Rules Collapse in Confusion By Anne Wallace (Nov-24-18)
- J.B. Hunt Settles California Labor Lawsuit with Truckers for $15million By Jane Mundy (Nov-8-18)
- Sephora Accused of Shorting Workers for Time to Don Makeup By Anne Wallace (Nov-5-18)
- Los Angeles Sweatshops Cited for Wage and Hour Violations By Anne Wallace (Oct-14-18)
- Wage Theft Investigations at California Restaurants By Jane Mundy (Oct-8-18)
- Trunk Club Settles California Unpaid Wages Lawsuit for $1.75 Million By Anne Wallace (Sep-21-18)
- H&M Plaintiffs Rely on Starbucks Workers’ Win To Bolster Case By Lori Prapas (Aug-19-18)
- Truckers Hauling to Trial Against J.B. Hunt for Alleged Wage and Hour Violations By Lori Prapas (Jul-20-18)
- Intel to Shell Out $5M to Settle California Unpaid Wages Lawsuit By Lori Prapas (Jul-16-18)
- California Labor Law Violation Fired at Fidelity Stands, Typo Goes By Jane Mundy (Jun-25-18)
- Former Marriott Hotel Waiter Appeals Dismissal of his California Unpaid Wages Lawsuit By Lori Prapas (Jun-18-18)
- California State Labor Commissioner Slams Restaurants with Wage Theft Violations By Jane Mundy (Jun-13-18)
- Potential H&M Class Action Lawsuit Over Unpaid Security Bag Checks By Lori Prapas (Jun-7-18)
- CA Top Court Makes it Harder for Employers to Deny Overtime by Designating Workers as Independent By Lori Prapas (May-23-18)
- New California Ruling Easy as 'ABC' to Determine Employee or Independent Contractor? By Jane Mundy (May-10-18)
- California Unpaid Wages Lawsuit: Class Action Lawsuit Brewing Against Starbucks By Lori Prapas (Apr-27-18)
- Can a Cabbie Collect Overtime? By Anne Wallace (Dec-4-17)
- California Startup Has Faced Three Class Action Lawsuits in its Young History By Gordon Gibb (Nov-20-17)
- Phoenix Warehouse of California Hit with Overtime Pay Class Action Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Nov-6-17)
- California Unpaid Overtime Class Action Down, but Not Out By Gordon Gibb (Oct-29-17)
- Nurses Seek Class Action in Overtime Pay Lawsuit against CareMeridian By Anne Wallace (Oct-5-17)
- California Seeks $6.3 Million for Overtime Pay Law Violations By Anne Wallace (Sep-28-17)
- $2.5 Million California Overtime Settlement Granted Preliminary Approval By Gordon Gibb (Sep-16-17)
- Plaintiff in Overtime Pay Dispute with Nike Sticks to Her Guns By Gordon Gibb (Sep-11-17)
- Farmworkers Another Step Toward California Overtime By Jane Mundy (Aug-25-17)
- California Overtime Lawsuit Settles in Record Time for $5.95 Million By Gordon Gibb (Aug-11-17)
- Can a Commissioned Salesperson Sue for Unpaid Overtime in California? By Anne Wallace (Aug-6-17)
- Eleven Misclassified Workers to Share $2 Million, More Awards Coming By Gordon Gibb (Jul-26-17)
- Overtime Settlements and Lawsuits, from Pennsylvania Health Care Therapists to California Caregivers By Jane Mundy (Jul-15-17)
- Former Amazon Manager Sues For Overtime Wages By Deb Hipp (Jul-4-17)
- Costco Settles California Overtime Lawsuit for $9 Million By Gordon Gibb (Jun-22-17)
- Fast Food Workers Deserve California Overtime By Jane Mundy (Jun-12-17)
- Chinese Caregivers at Alleged Birth Tourism Center Sue For Unpaid Overtime By Deb Hipp (Jun-1-17)
- California Unpaid Overtime, from Caregivers for the Elderly to Caretakers for the Unborn By Jane Mundy (May-28-17)
- California Overtime Lawsuit Paused Pending Ruling by US Supreme Court By Gordon Gibb (May-22-17)
- Kaiser and Xanitos Settle Hospital Housekeepers' Overtime Class action for $500,000 By Deb Hipp (May-7-17)
- McDonald's Employee Overtime Trial Scheduled for May By Deb Hipp (May-1-17)
- Plaintiffs Cite California Labor Law, FLSA in Lawsuit against Bloomberg By Gordon Gibb (Apr-13-17)
- Did Some California Employers Miss the Overtime Memo? By Jane Mundy (Apr-5-17)
- Former Exotic Dancer Launches California Overtime Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Mar-27-17)