Legal News Articles - Food/Drink
May 8, 2017. By Lucy Campbell.
Washington, DC: Bumble Bee Foods LLC has agreed to plead guilty to charges of tinned tuna price fixing and pay a criminal fine of at least $25 million to the US Department of Justice (DOJ). The charges against Bumble Bee are the first to be brought by the DOJ in its ongoing investigation of antitrust practices in the seafood industry in the US.Read [ Bumble Bee Pleads Guilty to Tuna Price Fixing with Possible $25M Fine ]
April 24, 2016. By Brenda Craig.
Barrie, ON: Diamond Pet Food and its distributor Costco is now paying out claims to Canadians whose pets required screening for salmonella poisoning or treatment for salmonella infection, or died after consuming certain Diamond Pet Foods in 2011 and 2012.Read [ Salmonella-Tainted Pet Food Payout in Canada—No Bill Required ]
March 3, 2016. By Heidi Turner.
Washington, DC: Consumers may have filed their own Gerber Good Start lawsuits but back in 2014, it was the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) that initially filed suit against the baby food maker, alleging the company made unsubstantiated claims about the health benefits of Gerber Good Start Gentle baby formula.Read [ Federal Trade Commission Filed Gerber Good Start Suit in 2014 ]
February 16, 2016. By Heidi Turner.
Los Angeles, CA: Consumers who filed a lawsuit against Gerber over claims it made in marketing its Good Start baby formula were handed a small victory when the judge in the suit tentatively certified the lawsuit as a class action. The Gerber Good Start lawsuit alleges consumers were misled into buying the baby formula by false claims made in the company’s marketing of the product. Gerber also faces a different lawsuit alleging the company violated the Unlawful Trade Practices Act in its marketing of Gerber Graduate Puffs.Read [ Consumers Sue Gerber Over Good Start Claims ]
February 1, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Newark, NJ: As the Gerber Good Start Class Action brought by plaintiff Oula Zakaria continues to roll toward ultimate certification, it’s useful to look back 18 months to October 2014, when the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) launched a Gerber Consumer Fraud Lawsuit against the venerable manufacturer over claims made in its marketing and labeling.Read [ Good Grief: Gerber Good Start Gentle Soared on the Narrowest of Claims ]
December 7, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
San Francisco, CA: In an environment overrun with mistrust and misleading information, consumers can be forgiven for both their wariness and weariness over unsubstantiated claims. Until recently, one product that consumers long held as beyond reproach has been baby food and baby formula. However, in recent months consumers have become wary over even that bastion of trust. To wit, Gerber Good Start Gentle may not be the good start many consumers have come to expect, given an apparent realization that claims of protection against the development of allergies have little grounding in truth.Read [ Gerber: Alleged Deception Not Limited to Good Start Baby Formula ]
November 27, 2015. By The National Trial Lawyers.
Syngenta is prohibited from appealing a federal judge’s ruling that allowed corn industry plaintiffs to continue multidistrict litigation, claiming the company tainted large shipments of U.S. grain with genetically modified seeds. The court recently issued the coordination order for the MDL proceeding.Read [ Mass Tort Suits Proceed Against Syngenta for Genetically Modified Corn ]
November 15, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Rochester, MN: There have been several high-profile lawsuits alleging Monster Energy Drink Deaths and Hospitalizations, each of which have settled for undisclosed sums. And while the debate over the safety of energy drinks and their contents continues to roil, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) continues to evaluate the products, while researchers keep jumping into the pool with studies and randomized trials.Read [ Energy Drink Impact on the Body Isn’t Pretty ]
November 10, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Porter Ranch, CA: A lawsuit has been filed against Gerber, alleging the company falsely marketed its Good Start Gentle infant formula. The lawsuit, which was filed on behalf of Oula Zakaria and seeks class-action status, alleges that not only did Gerber illegally market Good Start Gentle infant formula as reducing the risk of food allergies and skin problems, it also falsely represented to consumers that the product was endorsed by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).Read [ Gerber Good Start Gentle Formula Lawsuit Filed ]
November 7, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Kansas City, KS: More than 1,800 Syngenta lawsuits have reportedly been filed by farmers across the US against Syngenta. The lawsuits allege the biotechnology company’s genetically modified Agrisure Viptera and Duracade seeds contaminated US corn shipments, making them unacceptable for export to China. Although Syngenta reportedly filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuits, in September that motion was denied.Read [ More Than 1,800 Syngenta Lawsuits Reportedly Filed ]
- Monster Energy Drinks Safety Designation Easily Obtained By Gordon Gibb (Oct-14-15)
- Energy Drink Lawsuits: Understanding Caffeine By Heidi Turner (Aug-27-15)
- A Busy Time for Monster As Next Monster Energy Drink Injury Trial Looms By Gordon Gibb (Jul-2-15)
- Food Poisoning Lawyer ”Besieged” with Blue Bell Creameries Victims By Brenda Craig (May-24-15)
- ConAgra’s Tainted Peanut Butter Multimillion-Dollar Fine a Warning to Food Manufacturers By Brenda Craig (May-23-15)
- Another Month, Another 300 Syngenta Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (May-19-15)
- Syngenta Lawsuits Continue to Grow By Gordon Gibb (May-11-15)
- Almost 1,500 Lawsuits Involved in Syngenta MDL By Heidi Turner (May-4-15)
- Defending America’s Bread Basket and American-Grown Corn By Gordon Gibb (Apr-29-15)
- All Eyes on California as Monster Death Trial Poised to Get Underway By Gordon Gibb (Apr-22-15)
- Defendants in Syngenta Lawsuits Pushing for Federal Jurisdiction By Gordon Gibb (Apr-7-15)
- Corn Farmers Case against Syngenta’s GMOs Could Take Years By Brenda Craig (Mar-27-15)
- Did Jumping the Gun Kill a Market and Sow the Seeds of Discontent? By Gordon Gibb (Mar-24-15)
- Syngenta Facing Lawsuits Over Genetically Modified Corn Seed Sales By Lucy Campbell (Mar-23-15)
- Norovirus Outbreak Suspected on Princess Cruises By Lucy Campbell (Apr-11-14)
- 3,600 Dogs and Cats Sickened by Chinese Jerky Treats By Lucy Campbell (Oct-22-13)
- Salad Mix Linked to Stomach Illnesses in Iowa and Nebraska By Jane Mundy (Aug-3-13)
- Household Chemical Triclosan Under FDA Investigation By Lucy Campbell (May-7-13)
- Peanut Butter Recall Expands as Salmonella Infections Increase By Lucy Campbell (Sep-28-12)
- Trader Joe's Recalls Peanut Butter Due to Salmonella By Heidi Turner (Sep-23-12)
- One Little Girl's Nightmare With Food Poisoning By Gordon Gibb (Sep-22-12)
- Dangerous Amounts of Arsenic Found in Rice-based Food Products By Lucy Campbell (Sep-19-12)
- Mexican Mangoes May be Responsible for Salmonella Outbreak By Lucy Campbell (Aug-28-12)
- Recall to Prevent Listeria Food Poisoning Crosses 36 States By Gordon Gibb (Aug-19-12)
- Cantaloupes Linked to Salmonella By Jane Mundy (Aug-18-12)
- 60 Hospitalized in Denver Homeless Shelter Food Poisoning Outbreak By Lucy Campbell (Jul-23-12)
- Allegedly Bad Chicken Worth $140,000 to Foodborne Illness Plaintiff By Gordon Gibb (Jul-21-12)
- Florida Nurse Missed Work From Foodborne Illness By Gordon Gibb (Jun-23-12)
- FDA Asked to Ban Lindane from Head Lice Shampoos By Lucy Campbell (Jun-4-12)
- Australian Girl Left Brain Damaged Allegedly from Chicken Wrap By Gordon Gibb (May-13-12)
- People Sickened by Salmonella Dog Food By Jane Mundy (May-6-12)
- Effects of Foodborne Illness Can Exist Long After Crisis Has Passed By Gordon Gibb (Apr-14-12)
- Will Widened Michael Foods Egg Recall Result in Foodborne Illness? By Gordon Gibb (Mar-11-12)
- Starting a New Year with an Old Problem: Foodborne Illness By Gordon Gibb (Feb-8-12)
- Government Officials Issue Final Tally for Cantaloupe Listeria Outbreak By Charles Benson (Dec-18-11)
- More Cantaloupe Lawsuits Filed By Heidi Turner (Dec-9-11)
- Cantaloupe Food Poisoning Deaths Allegedly Point to Inadequate Inspections By Charles Benson (Nov-29-11)
- Cantaloupe Listeria Lawsuits Filed By Heidi Turner (Nov-15-11)
- Death Toll in Cantaloupe Recall Rises By Heidi Turner (Nov-5-11)
- Potential Source of Cantaloupe Food Poisoning Identified by FDA Officials By Charles Benson (Oct-24-11)