READ MORE food poisoning LEGAL NEWS
The first person fell ill and was taken to hospital around 7 pm. First responders were on site shortly afterwards and closed off the block.
The shelter reportedly serves 600,000 meals a year, and has never had a food poisoning outbreak before. The shelter's kitchens are held to the same standards as restaurant kitchens, but it also accepts food donations from several local catering companies.
Abby Davisdon, a health investigator for the city, told ABCNews.com that two investigators from city Department of Environmental Health and two epidemiologists were at the shelter Monday morning, asking questions about food safety practices and the menu.