Legal News Articles - Automotive
March 7, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Fifteen-Year Prison Term for Horrific Maryland Car Crash ]
Accokeek, MD The Washington Post called it one of the worst car accidents in state history. In the early hours of February 16, 2008, two drivers became involved in an illegal street race on Route 210, mowing down and killing eight bystanders. The Post reported on 3/2/10 that one of the two drivers was sentenced to 15 years in prison. The other will be retried on vehicular manslaughter counts on October 18.
March 6, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Relatives of Family Killed in Lexus Crash Sue Toyota ]
San Diego, CA The car accident that set off the massive Toyota recall will soon be moving through the courts of law. The Los Angeles Times reports that relatives of the family killed in a high-speed Lexus crash last summer have launched a lawsuit against the world's largest car manufacturer.
March 4, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ "Fixed" Toyota Vehicles Still Taking off ]
New York, NY Those who were suspicious of Toyota's announced fix of "sticky" gas pedals now have more reason for concern. CNNMoney.com reported yesterday that the recalled cars duly repaired by Toyota are still experiencing sudden and rapid acceleration.
March 3, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Oil Wells That End Well for Toyota? ]
Detroit, MN Reuters reported yesterday that Toyota will undertake repairs to nearly one million vehicles in the US that may be leaking oil. The issue is not a new one—as far back as a year ago Toyota agreed to repair a faulty oil hose in vehicles equipped with V6 engines. The problem pertains to a rubberized portion of the engine oil hose that may degrade over time, causing oil to leak and damage the engine when oil levels dip below optimum.
March 2, 2010. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ GM Recalls 1.3 Million Compact Cars to Fix Power Steering Assist ]
Detroit, MI General Motors will conduct a safety recall of 1.3 million compact cars to replace a motor in the power steering system.
February 26, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ A New Twist on the Toyota Gas Pedal Saga ]
St. Paul, MN The recent spate of Toyota safety recalls brings up troubling new questions for those convicted and jailed for crimes related to dangerous or irresponsible driving—what if the car was to blame?
February 26, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Toyota Testifies Before Congress about Gas Pedal Problem ]
Washington, DC The Japanese head of the largest automotive company in the world admitted to a congressional hearing on Wednesday that Toyota may have let quality slide in the pursuit of quantity. Akio Toyoda, in Washington, offered a personal apology for the recent Toyota accelerator pedal recalls and vowed to regain consumers' trust.
February 24, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Internal Documents Show Toyota Allegedly Cut Deal with NHTSA ]
Washington, DC While the Vancouver Olympics have temporarily displaced the Toyota recall from the high headlines over the better part of a week, the issue is bound to return when Akio Toyoda, the Japanese CEO of Toyota and the grandson of the company's founder, appears on Wednesday before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. The House Energy and Commerce Committee opens hearings today and a Senate committee will meet next week, according to the 2/21/10 issue of the New York Times.
February 21, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Tragic School Bus Accident Kills Texas Teen ]
Richardson, TX Fifteen-year-old Anquanette Patterson, a freshman at J.J. Pearce High School in the Richardson Independent School District, died last Wednesday morning after she jumped out of a moving school bus. Patterson was run over and killed at the scene, before she reached the hospital.
February 21, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Two People Killed in California Motorcycle Crash ]
Palm Springs, CA A California motorcycle accident killed two and injured two others on Valentine's Day when a car collided with a motorcycle on a twisting section of Highway 74.
- The Face of the Honda Airbag Recall By Gordon Gibb (Feb-19-10)
- Toyota Faces Lawsuits Over Reduced Value of Recalled Vehicles By Lucy Campbell (Feb-19-10)
- NHTSA to Investigate Late Model Toyota Corollas over Steering Problems By Lucy Campbell (Feb-18-10)
- Late-Model Toyota Corollas May Have Steering Problems By Gordon Gibb (Feb-18-10)
- Toyota Recall Could Result in Fines By Heidi Turner (Feb-17-10)
- Yet Another Toyota Recall: This Time, Tacoma Trucks By Gordon Gibb (Feb-14-10)
- Honda Expands Faulty Airbag Recall By Gordon Gibb (Feb-11-10)
- Toyota Facing Lawsuits, Possible Credit Ratings Downgrade By Gordon Gibb (Feb-10-10)
- Toyota to Announce Prius Recall for Brakes By Gordon Gibb (Feb-9-10)
- Head of Toyota Japan Issues Apology, but Problems Continue to Build By Gordon Gibb (Feb-5-10)
- Toyota Recall: Possible Lives at Risk and Real Issue Still in Question By Gordon Gibb (Feb-4-10)
- Toyota Prius Braking System Investigated (Feb-4-10)
- Has California Cell Phone Law Reduced Car Accidents? By Gordon Gibb (Feb-3-10)
- Prius Brake Failure Might Mean More Toyota Recalls By Gordon Gibb (Feb-3-10)
- Toyota Announces Repair Strategy for Recalled Vehicles By Gordon Gibb (Feb-1-10)
- Toyota Recall Expanded Yet Again By Gordon Gibb (Jan-28-10)
- Toyota Expands Recall, Halts Sales and Idles Plants Over Sticking Accelerator By Gordon Gibb (Jan-27-10)
- Toyota Issues Safety Recall for 2.3 Million Vehicles over Sticking Accelerator Pedal By Lucy Campbell (Jan-21-10)
- Oshawa's Loss Could Be Michigan's Gain By Gordon Gibb (Jan-9-10)
- Denial Exacerbates Traffic Violation Costs By Brenda Craig (Jan-8-10)
- Insurance Company to Appeal $15 Million Decision in Business Dispute By Charles Benson (Nov-25-09)
- Former Death Row Inmate Killed in Texas Car Crash By Gordon Gibb (Nov-14-09)
- One Woman Dead and One Police Officer Injured in Connecticut Motorcycle Accident By Charles Benson (Nov-13-09)
- Heartbreaking Loss Surrounding Washington Car Crash By Gordon Gibb (Nov-10-09)
- Was There More to Fatal Defective Automotive Crash Than Floor Mats? By Gordon Gibb (Nov-4-09)
- Ford Hit With Largest Single Recall Yet in US History By Gordon Gibb (Oct-15-09)
- At 3.8 Million Vehicles, Toyota Hit with Largest Recall in its History By Gordon Gibb (Sep-30-09)
- Dangerous Gas Pedal Revs Up Again By Brenda Craig (May-1-09)
- Another Bad Day for GM: A Massive Recall By Gordon Gibb (Apr-14-09)
- Was Yamaha Shamed Into Finally Fixing the Rhino? By Gordon Gibb (Apr-9-09)
- GM Vehicles Recalled for Defective Auto Problem By Gordon Gibb (Apr-8-09)
- Doors Fly Open on Moving Sedona Minivan By Gordon Gibb (Feb-16-09)
- Car Accident Victims Can Sue By Heidi Turner (Dec-24-08)
- BMW Recalls 200,000 Vehicles Over Faulty Air Bag Detection System By Gordon Gibb (Aug-14-08)
- Attorney Steven Skalet: Checks Coming Soon for Ford Focus Owners By Brenda Craig (Aug-9-08)
- Plane Makes Emergency Landing at JFK Airport By Heidi Turner (Aug-5-08)
- Airplane Crashes: Passengers Have No Control By Heidi Turner (Jul-31-08)
- Qantas Flight QF-30 By Jane Mundy (Jul-26-08)
- Plane Crash: What Goes Up… By Heidi Turner (Jul-23-08)
- Plane Crashes Preventable By Heidi Turner (Jul-22-08)