Legal News Articles - Business
February 7, 2011. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Carr Miller Ponzi Scheme: Did They Spend the Money on Themselves? ]
Marlton, NJ Any individual who may have lost wealth in the Carr Miller Capital Ponzi Scheme would be displeased to know that while the investor was busy making an honest living and expecting modest returns from his investment, the accused co-conspirators were allegedly enjoying themselves at a luxury skybox at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey—amongst other luxuries. One of the accused drove a new Mercedes, while investors were making do with Toyotas.
February 4, 2011. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ More Fallout from Alleged Carr Miller Capital Ponzi Scheme ]
Las Vegas, NV In addition to the investors who lost money in the alleged Carr Miller Capital Ponzi Scheme, there may be more fallout from New Jersey's actions against Carr Miller Capital. Charges have been filed against nominal defendants who may not have known about the alleged Ponzi scheme, but are still implicated because of their association with Carr Miller Capital.
January 21, 2011. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Is a UBS Fraud Arbitration Claim Better Than Class Action? ]
Washington, DC It has been alleged that UBS Lehman Principal Protected Notes were little more than unsecured Lehman Brothers debt and are worthless in the wake of the failure of Lehman Brothers. Now, various lawsuits have been filed—including a class action—in an effort to recover damages.
January 17, 2011. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ HoMedics TheraP Faces Consumer Class Action ]
San Diego, CA A consumer fraud class action lawsuit has been certified against HoMedics TheraP "Hot & Cold Therapy Back support with the Power of Magnets" claiming violation of the Consumer Legal Remedies Act (CLRA) and for violation of Business and Professions Code ("UCL").
Investment Fraud Claims Filed Concerning NNN Capital Opportunity Fund, the IMH Secured Loan Fund, and the Oppenheimer Rochester National Municipal
January 12, 2011. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Investment Fraud Claims Filed Concerning NNN Capital Opportunity Fund, the IMH Secured Loan Fund, and the Oppenheimer Rochester National Municipal ]
Philadelphia, PA Securities arbitration and investment fraud claims have been filed with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) against several national brokerage firms in connection with the sale of defective financial products, including the NNN Capital Opportunity Fund, the IMH Secured Loan Fund, and the Oppenheimer Rochester National Municipal Fund.
January 5, 2011. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ UBS Lehman Brothers Securities Fraud ]
New York, NY Recently, a $2.2 Million arbitration award was issued against UBS in a case involving Lehman "Principal Protected" Notes - the latest in a series of pro-investor rulings against UBS in cases involving Lehman Brothers "Principal Protected" Notes.
December 27, 2010. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Carr Miller Capital Faces Allegations of Operating Ponzi Scheme ]
New York, NY Carr Miller Capital LLC and its three principals are facing allegations of consumer fraud regarding a Ponzi scheme and violations of numerous New Jersey Uniform Securities Laws by committing fraud, commingling funds, and selling unregistered securities. It is believed that investors may have been defrauded of as much as $40 million.
December 17, 2010. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Madoff Investor Returns $7.2 Billion to Ponzi Victims ]
New York, NY The estate of Jeffrey M. Picower, a philanthropist and investor from Palm Beach, has reached a settlement with the Trustee charged with recovering assets from the Madoff bankruptcy, Irving H. Picard, and the United States attorney for the Southern District, Preet Bharara that will see a total of $7.2 billion cash made available to compensate the victims of Bernard Madoff's global ponzi scheme. The announcement comes on the heels of the suicide of 46-year old son Mark Madoff, who hung himself in his New York loft this week.
October 19, 2010. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Parents Bring Federal Lawsuit After Tainted Baby Formula Injures Newborn ]
Chicago, IL A class action lawsuit alleging deceptive business practices has been filed against Abbott Laboratories over claims that the pharmaceutical giant sold millions of tubs of infant powder formula that were contaminated with beetles and beetle larvae.
October 8, 2010. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Weight Loss Drug Meridia Pulled From US and Canadian Markets ]
Washington, DC The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is recommending against continued prescribing and use of Meridia (sibutramine) because this drug may pose unnecessary cardiovascular risks to patients.
- Westwood College Rip-off By Brenda Craig (Aug-26-10)
- Scottie Pippen Wins Legal Malpractice Lawsuit By Charles Benson (Jul-27-10)
- Dell Agrees to $100 in Penalties to Settle SEC Accounting Fraud Charges By Gordon Gibb (Jul-24-10)
- Nationwide Recall of Natural Chicken Formula Cat Food Expanded By Lucy Campbell (Jul-15-10)
- Copyright Battle Forces Men at Work to Give up Five Percent of Hit Song By Charles Benson (Jul-11-10)
- BP Employees Sue Over Losses By Lucy Campbell (Jun-29-10)
- Goldman Sachs Faces Fraud Charges By Lucy Campbell (Apr-16-10)
- Managers Pressured to Approve Applications for Social Security Disability Claims By Charles Benson (Mar-30-10)
- Apple Sues HTC, Maker of Nexus One Phones, Over Alleged Patent Infringement By Gordon Gibb (Mar-3-10)
- Prepaid Debit Cards to Face New Rules and Regulations By Charles Benson (Nov-28-09)
- Insurance Company to Appeal $15 Million Decision in Business Dispute By Charles Benson (Nov-25-09)
- FTC Brings the Hammer Down for Negative Option Consumer Fraud By Gordon Gibb (Nov-17-09)
- CDR Antitrust Update: Nine-Count Indictment Against California Firm By Gordon Gibb (Nov-3-09)
- Illegal Towing Akin to Extortion By Gordon Gibb (Sep-24-09)
- Illinois AG files consumer fraud lawsuit against contractor By Charles Benson (Sep-21-09)
- Dell settles contract fraud case for $4M By Charles Benson (Sep-20-09)
- The Debit Card Surprise at Hess Gas Stations By Brenda Craig (Apr-2-09)
- Verizon Sued for Consumer Fraud By Gordon Gibb (Mar-30-09)
- Consumer Fraud Not Affected by Economic Slowdown By Gordon Gibb (Nov-13-08)
- Meet the Man Who Introduced You to Your Lawyer By Brenda Craig (Oct-14-08)
- Jacoby & Meyers: Small Business Owners Do not Need to Take it on the Chin By Brenda Craig (Aug-19-08)
- Mobile Content: Overcharges Got You Over a Barrel? By Gordon Gibb (Aug-19-08)
- Telecom Companies Adept at Smoke and Mirrors By Gordon Gibb (Jul-27-08)
- John J. Page: New Member of the Million Dollar Advocates Club By Brenda Craig (Jul-17-08)
- Attorney Stephen Benda: "The secret of happiness is keep it small." By Paul Halpern (May-13-08)
- Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against LifeLock By Ginger Gillenwater (May-13-08)
- Attorney Peter Kovacs: "Let's get down to the nitty-gritty here." By Paul Halpern (Apr-30-08)
- DirecTV Cancellation Fees: "A Big Mess" By Heidi Turner (Apr-26-08)
- Allegations Against Alcon Allege Unfair Business Practices Causes Lawsuit from Synergetics (Apr-21-08)
- Attorney Shannon Liss-Riordan: Challenging Corporate Power and Tips Abuse By Paul Halpern (Apr-9-08)
- Best Buy Price Match Denied because "It's Thanksgiving...?" By Gordon Gibb (Apr-5-08)
- Attorney Scott R. Shepherd on WhistleBlowers, Securities, and Consumer Class Action By Paul Halpern (Apr-4-08)
- Attorney Maurice B. Graham on Equitable Recovery By Paul Halpern (Mar-29-08)
- Attorney Robert K. Rhoads: "It's not like condemning someone's house." By Paul Halpern (Mar-15-08)
- $15.6 Million Awarded to 'Bay Guardian' for Unfair Practices (Mar-6-08)
- Consumer Protection Board Fights Against Credit Card Abuse By Heidi Turner (Jul-26-07)
- Avoiding Hidden Charges Including the Safe Warranty Fee By Heidi Turner (Jul-11-07)
- Hotels Face Lawsuits over Safe Warranty Fees and Other Surcharges By Heidi Turner (Jul-6-07)
- Largest Verdict for Fraud ever rendered for Deception related to E-Z-GO Golf Cars (Jul-5-07)
- Connecticut Sues Best Buy Over Website Scam By Heidi Turner (Jun-8-07)