LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATIONInsurance
Legal News Articles - Insurance
October 15, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ UNUM LTD Claimants Must Beware of Exhaustion of Remedies Roadblock ]
Chattanooga, TN On September 25, 2018, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals granted UNUM Life Insurance’s motion for summary judgment, thus ending Richard Ravenscraft’s UNUM disability lawsuit on the grounds that he had not exhausted administrative remedies. These are the rocks on which many long term disability lawsuits have been dashed.
October 10, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Mother with Post-Partum Depression Denied Disability Benefits by Hartford ]
Chicago, IL: Even though Angela tried to return to work after suffering from postpartum depression, her boss advised that she apply for long term disability with Hartford Health Insurance. But Hartford didn’t agree with Angela’s boss.
September 24, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Prosthetic Denial Lawsuits Filed against UnitedHealth Group and Anthem under ERISA ]
Santa Clara, CA: Prosthetics with a variety of microprocessors are the new “wearable technology” and they’re making headlines. Companies have designed the devices with
September 20, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Amputees Fighting for Insurance Coverage Get Tips from Blue Cross Antitrust Lawsuit ]
Wilmington, DE As amputees fight for insurance coverage for advanced, microprocessor- assisted prostheses, it can help to look at other insurance lawsuits that describe a similar pattern of claims denials.
September 14, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Wheeler v. Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Seeks LTD Benefits for Injured Seaman ]
San Diego, CA Christopher Wheeler was a Coxswain/Diesel mechanic, a contractor doing heavy physical work for the U.S. Navy Fifth Fleet. On March 17, 2015, he was badly injured during a storm at sea off Bahrain. Hospitals and rehab landed him a computer job for which he had no aptitude or training. When that didn’t work out, his employer, Exelis, Inc. terminated his employment and Metropolitan Life Insurance (MetLife) denied his long term disability benefit application. He filed a long term denied disability lawsuit on August 2, 2018 in the Southern District of California. California’s de novo standard for the review of disability claims under ERISA may work to Wheeler’s benefit.
September 13, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Dentist Claims Injury, Unum Claims Sickness to Deny ]
San Diego, CA: A dental surgeon has filed a bad faith lawsuit against Unum, or First Unum after the giant insurer denied his long term disability benefits claiming his injury is a sickness. The Unum lawsuit claims that Unum denied the dentist his rightful benefits to protect their own interests.
September 4, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Amputees’ Fight for Insurance Coverage Focuses on ‘Medical Necessity’ of Microprocessor Prosthetics ]
Washington, DC Lucky to live, unlucky to lose a foot or a leg, survivors of the Boston Marathon bombing soon found themselves facing the harsh truth of inadequate insurance coverage for their prosthetic care. Years on, the good news is that microprocessor-enhanced artificial limbs have gotten better. The bad news is that insurance companies like Anthem and United Healthcare still balk at paying for them. Insurance lawsuits since then have taken particular aim at the internal review standards insurers use to determine whether a medical treatment or device is “medically necessary.” The standards do not line up with what amputees need most and what these modern devices can really do. Cost cutting vs. good health – it’s the match of the century.
September 3, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Aetna Denies Disability – Is there a Doctor in the House? ]
Los Angeles, CA: California's insurance commissioner in February 2018 launched an investigation into Aetna after discovering a former medical director for the insurer (independent medical examiner) admitted under oath that he never looked at policy holder’s records to decide whether to approve or deny their long term disability benefits. Now a California woman has filed a complaint against the huge insurance provider claiming a similar issue.
August 21, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Lawsuits Brewing over Insurance Denials for “Smart” Prostheses ]
Los Angeles, CA In California and other states, amputees are denied insurance coverage for modern prostheses. These legs and ankles are hugely better than the old titanium alloy stilts because of their microprocessors. Lt. Dan was glad to stand with his bride, but imagine running up the stairs or dancing at a Gump-ish wedding. Nonetheless, Anthem, United Healthcare and other insurers plead shock, confusion, and a general lack of evidence when asked to pay for the more modern prosthetics. The ensuing insurance lawsuits have taken aim at the insurers’ claims that the advanced prostheses are not medically necessary or still experimental.
Disability Claims Consultant Explains Unum’s Latest Practice to Dispute or Deny Long Term Disability Benefits
August 14, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Disability Claims Consultant Explains Unum’s Latest Practice to Dispute or Deny Long Term Disability Benefits ]
Santa Clara, CA: As a disability claims consultant and former Unum employee, Linda Nee knows just about every trick in the insurance company’s books to dispute and deny disability benefits to claimants. She says that Unum, or First Unum is “nickel and diming” its policy holders by alleging overpayments associated with SSDI and other monthly earnings offsets, including Retirement Income.
- Hartford Insurance Denies Disability Benefits and Pays Millions to bail out a town By Jane Mundy (Aug-13-18)
- Anthem Denials of Emergency Room CT Scans and MRIs; Patients Sent to Clinics By Anne Wallace (Aug-6-18)
- Sen. McCaskill Probes Anthem Emergency Room Coverage Denials By Anne Wallace (Jul-28-18)
- Summary Judgment for Lincoln National in Barber v. Lincoln National Life Insurance Company By Anne Wallace (Jul-25-18)
- Anthem Refuses to Cover Emergency Room Care After the Fact By Anne Wallace (Jul-18-18)
- Court Orders Unum Doctor to Reveal How Much He Was Paid for His Opinion By Lori Prapas (Jul-17-18)
- Surveillance Sinks Liberty Mutual Long Term Denied Disability Lawsuits By Anne Wallace (Jul-12-18)
- MetLife Refuses to Disclose Background Claim Processing Principles By Anne Wallace (Jun-28-18)
- Big Law Employee Sues Unum Group for Denial of Benefits By Lori Prapas (Jun-22-18)
- Ninth Circuit Champions Wrongly Denied Disability Claimant By Anne Wallace (Jun-8-18)
- Unum Insurance Lawsuits Gain Momentum By Lori Prapas (May-18-18)
- Fibromyalgia sufferer wins denied disability claim lawsuit against Hartford By Anne Wallace (May-4-18)
- Another Chance after LTD Denial? Arbitrary and Capricious Standard Continues to Crumble in MetLife Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Apr-25-18)
- Unum: You Win Some, You Lose Some By Gordon Gibb (Mar-26-18)
- Liberty Mutual Administrator Must Consider Evidence of 'Broken Heart' By Anne Wallace (Mar-13-18)
- A Tale of Two Unum Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (Mar-12-18)
- A New Way for Unum Lawsuit Plaintiffs to Fight Biased Medical Review By Anne Wallace (Mar-5-18)
- Diagnosed with Lyme Disease, Plaintiff is Denied by Unum Disability Insurance By Gordon Gibb (Feb-14-18)
- Unum Sued for Denial of Disability Benefits By Gordon Gibb (Feb-12-18)
- Long Term Disability Denial Letter from Insurer is Not the End of the Road By Brenda Craig (Feb-8-18)
- Class Actions Get Relief for Uninsured and Overbilled Hospital Patients By Brenda Craig (Jan-25-18)
- How to Think Like a Plaintiff in a Unum Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Jan-24-18)
- Emergency Room Charges and What to Do About Them By Gordon Gibb (Jan-14-18)
- New Year, New Unum Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Jan-12-18)
- Denied Disability Claimant Wins when Administrator Blows Deadline By Anne Wallace (Jan-10-18)
- Disabled Pediatrician Sues Unum for Denied Long Term Disability By Gordon Gibb (Dec-17-17)
- Home Warranty Lawsuit Goes to the New Jersey Supreme Court By Gordon Gibb (Dec-14-17)
- LTD Denial: Understanding "Own Occupation" vs "Any Occupation" By Gordon Gibb (Dec-6-17)
- How Unum LTD Denials Forced Statute Of Limitations Ruling Against Victim By Anne Wallace (Dec-1-17)
- Handy Guidance for Colorado Workers’ Compensation By Gordon Gibb (Dec-1-17)
- Unum Accused of Denying Disability Benefits as Corporate Profits Rise By Gordon Gibb (Nov-14-17)
- Pennsylvania CIGNA Denied Disability Lawsuit Seeks Compensation By Gordon Gibb (Nov-12-17)
- Attorney Estimates California Wildfire Damage is in the Billions By Brenda Craig (Nov-10-17)
- Canadian Couple’s Fight against Home Warranty Insurance a Full Time Job By Gordon Gibb (Nov-8-17)
- Sun Life Denied Disability Benefits Lawsuit Settled Previously, But Issues Remained By Gordon Gibb (Nov-7-17)
- ER Bills and Hospital Overcharging: It’s Not Getting Any Better By Gordon Gibb (Oct-30-17)
- Denial of Benefits May not be the Only Problem Plaguing WA Workers Comp By Gordon Gibb (Oct-29-17)
- California ‘Bad Faith’ Claim in Disability Denial Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Oct-15-17)
- Unum Group Appears as Innocent Bystander in Insurance Denial Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Oct-13-17)
- Long-Suffering Homeowners Hoping to Pursue Home Warranty Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Oct-8-17)