Legal News Articles - Insurance
February 14, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
San Diego, CA: A medical professional who could no longer fulfill the functions of her occupation due to a diagnosis of Lyme disease, had her long term disability benefits claim denied by her LTD provider. Plaintiff Laura Wakil holds that Unum unfairly denied her LTD benefits that were rightfully hers' according to the terms of her policy, and she is taking the insurer to court after filing an Unum lawsuit in an attempt to achieve benefits resulting from her disability.Read [ Diagnosed with Lyme Disease, Plaintiff is Denied by Unum Disability Insurance ]
February 12, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Atlanta, GA: There is little doubt that wrongly denied disability claims tend to make more noise than claims that are approved and duly paid. Such is the case with a denied disability claim that is the subject of a lawsuit against insurance provider Unum.Read [ Unum Sued for Denial of Disability Benefits ]
February 8, 2018. By Brenda Craig.
Minneapolis, MN Disability insurance is intended to help individuals through rough spots, providing them with income when health problems keep them off the job. However, insurance companies are big corporations concerned about their bottom line. Unless policy holders can stand up to the insurance company's strict requirements during the critical cross over period from short term disability to long term disability there is a risk the benefits will be denied.Read [ Long Term Disability Denial Letter from Insurer is Not the End of the Road ]
January 25, 2018. By Brenda Craig.
Los Angeles, CA: There is an increasing amount of evidence to show that charges for emergency room treatment in American hospitals varies, and varies widely. One hospital might charge $1,000 for a particular test or treatment while another hospital might charge $12,000 for the exact same services.Read [ Class Actions Get Relief for Uninsured and Overbilled Hospital Patients ]
January 24, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Richmond, VA Kimberly Stoddard had been receiving long term disability payments under her Unum disability insurance policy for more than ten years, so it was a shock when the plan reconsidered and stopped paying her.Read [ How to Think Like a Plaintiff in a Unum Lawsuit ]
January 14, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Washington, DC: A study into medical bills, treatment costs at hospitals and emergency room charges undertaken last year and published in May by the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine confirmed what we already know: charges for medical care can be excessive when compared to what Medicare and Medicaid interprets as the true value for services.Read [ Emergency Room Charges and What to Do About Them ]
January 12, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Philadelphia, PA: With a new year comes a new lawsuit against Unum Group, after a plaintiff from the Philadelphia area brought a complaint against the global insurance juggernaut. At issue in the Unum lawsuit is the abrupt termination of long term disability benefits by the insurer, allegedly without just cause.Read [ New Year, New Unum Lawsuit ]
January 10, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
San Jose, CA Employers can change the terms of their long-term disability plans whenever they want. Those changes often affect what employees must show to make a disability claim, and they rarely make it easy to collect. Plans usually apply changed provisions even to employees who are already receiving benefits. They often lose those payments. But when a claimant brings a lawsuit, the US District Court for the Northern District of California recently held that rule-of-thumb is different. The plan provisions in effect when the disability accrued should govern.Read [ Denied Disability Claimant Wins when Administrator Blows Deadline ]
December 17, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Portland, OR: A medical doctor who carried Unum insurance for long-term disability has launched an Unum lawsuit against the global supplier of LTD insurance after the insured’s benefits were abruptly stopped, and his LTD claim denied. The benefit to the plaintiff, according to claims made in the Unum disability claims lawsuit, amounts to $12,500 gross per month the plaintiff asserts is owed to him pursuant to the terms of his disability policy.Read [ Disabled Pediatrician Sues Unum for Denied Long Term Disability ]
December 14, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Trenton, NJ: Plaintiffs who bring home warranty lawsuits against home warranty companies commonly assert allegations of shoddy workmanship, delays or denials of claims. However in this case, the plaintiff alleged violations to New Jersey’s Consumer Fraud Act and Truth in Consumer Contract, Warrant and Notice Act with regard to a contract that was allegedly misleading in stated coverage periods, amongst other claims.Read [ Home Warranty Lawsuit Goes to the New Jersey Supreme Court ]
- LTD Denial: Understanding "Own Occupation" vs "Any Occupation" By Gordon Gibb (Dec-6-17)
- How Unum LTD Denials Forced Statute Of Limitations Ruling Against Victim By Anne Wallace (Dec-1-17)
- Handy Guidance for Colorado Workers’ Compensation By Gordon Gibb (Dec-1-17)
- Unum Accused of Denying Disability Benefits as Corporate Profits Rise By Gordon Gibb (Nov-14-17)
- Pennsylvania CIGNA Denied Disability Lawsuit Seeks Compensation By Gordon Gibb (Nov-12-17)
- Attorney Estimates California Wildfire Damage is in the Billions By Brenda Craig (Nov-10-17)
- Canadian Couple’s Fight against Home Warranty Insurance a Full Time Job By Gordon Gibb (Nov-8-17)
- Sun Life Denied Disability Benefits Lawsuit Settled Previously, But Issues Remained By Gordon Gibb (Nov-7-17)
- ER Bills and Hospital Overcharging: It’s Not Getting Any Better By Gordon Gibb (Oct-30-17)
- Denial of Benefits May not be the Only Problem Plaguing WA Workers Comp By Gordon Gibb (Oct-29-17)
- California ‘Bad Faith’ Claim in Disability Denial Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Oct-15-17)
- Unum Group Appears as Innocent Bystander in Insurance Denial Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Oct-13-17)
- Long-Suffering Homeowners Hoping to Pursue Home Warranty Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Oct-8-17)
- Veterans Still Seeking Benefits Fifty One Years after Radiation Exposure By Gordon Gibb (Oct-5-17)
- Attorney Explains Difference between Definition of Disability By Jane Mundy (Sep-28-17)
- Aetna Long Term Disability Lawsuit Demonstrative of Dissatisfaction with Insurers By Gordon Gibb (Sep-8-17)
- LTD Plaintiff Breaks Through ERISA Barrier By Anne Wallace (Sep-4-17)
- Disability Insurance is not a Slam Dunk says Lawyer By Brenda Craig (Aug-15-17)
- Unum Lawsuits Face SSDI Offset Snag By Anne Wallace (Aug-13-17)
- Liberty Mutual Ignored Plaintiff’s Fibromyalgia: Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Aug-9-17)
- Guardian Denied Disability Lawsuit Goes to Mediation in Florida By Anne Wallace (Aug-8-17)
- Duality Observed in Illinois Cause for Confusion, but Plaintiff Benefits Nonetheless By Gordon Gibb (Jul-30-17)
- The Tightrope Walked by Insurers Inevitably Discriminate Against Legitimate Claims By Gordon Gibb (Jul-25-17)
- Denied Disability Plaintiffs Overdue for Unum’s Cutting Board? By Jane Mundy (Jul-20-17)
- You Can Fight Back Against Denied Disability Claims By Brenda Craig (Jul-11-17)
- Two Unum Lawsuits Filed Within Days of One Another Claim Unfair Denial By Gordon Gibb (Jul-9-17)
- Unum’s Suspension of Benefits and Outsourcing By Jane Mundy (Jun-11-17)
- The Best Strategy for Dealing with Proof of Disability Letters By Brenda Craig (Jun-7-17)
- Aetna Life Faces Lawsuit Over Denied Long Term Disability Claim By Lucy Campbell (Jun-7-17)
- Long Island Signalman Awarded Damages for Injury Exacerbation By Gordon Gibb (May-29-17)
- An Award-Winning Employee Culture at Unum Can’t Stop Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (May-27-17)
- Showdown between Honeywell Inc. and Retirees Brewing in Michigan By Gordon Gibb (May-23-17)
- Unum Accused of Denying Claims While Giving Away Millions By Gordon Gibb (Apr-8-17)
- Doctor from Dallas Collects $11.4 million for Blowing the Whistle on Healthcare Fraud By Brenda Craig (Mar-3-17)
- Qui Tam Whistleblowers and Healthcare Fraud: “It’s a Completely Criminal Enterprise” By Jane Mundy (Feb-19-17)
- NY Judge Won't Reassign Unum Disability Lawsuit Over Question of Impropriety By Deb Hipp (Feb-2-17)
- Disability Lawsuit filed, Others say ‘Bah Humbug’ to Unum By Gordon Gibb (Dec-30-16)
- Advocacy Often the Difference between Fair Billing and Getting Fleeced By Gordon Gibb (Dec-26-16)
- ER Hospital Overcharges: Bat Bite Cost Uninsured $40K By Jane Mundy (Dec-18-16)
- Cash for Whistleblowers in the Health Care Industry By Brenda Craig (Dec-15-16)