Legal News Articles - Diet/Health Supplements
November 16, 2016. By Jane Mundy.
Los Angeles, CA: Several food supplements lawsuits claiming deceptive marketing and labelling have been filed against Jessica Alba’s Honest Company, arguing its products are "falsely" labeled as natural and plant-based. But what does “natural” mean? “From a liability standpoint, I don’t see the merit in these false advertising suits when there is no agreed upon definition of natural in the first place,” says attorney Ann Marie Mortimer, partner at Hunton & Williams law firm.Read [ Is Jessica Alba’s Honest Company Dishonest? ]
May 3, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Tucson, AZ: The health concerns that have emerged from lawsuits and subsequent headlines screaming Monster Energy Drink Deaths and Hospitalizations tend to be weighted on the side of cardiovascular issues related to consumption of the high levels of caffeine usually associated with the consumption of energy drinks.Read [ Plaintiff Awaiting Kidney Is a Grim Reaper of Hope in the Face of Monster ]
April 27, 2016. By Brenda Craig.
Calgary, AB: Over the last 10 years there has been exponential growth in the sale and consumption of caffeinated energy drinks.Read [ Caffeinated Energy Drinks Linked to Risk of Type 2 Diabetes ]
April 15, 2016. By LAS Staff Writer.
April 14, 2016 (Press Release): Neurobrands LLC, the Santa Monica-based maker of the “Neuro” line of drinks, has agreed to a permanent court injunction that requires it to change its marketing practices. The company will also pay $500,000 in penalties and restitution as part of a settlement with local prosecutors.Read [ Maker Of “Neuro” Drinks Agrees To Pay $500,000 In Fines and Restitution ]
April 5, 2016. By Heidi Turner.
Vancouver, BC: A 2015 study by researchers in Canada suggests a link between teen consumption of energy drinks and a risk of traumatic brain injury. Previous studies have suggested a link between the use of energy drinks and a risk of heart problems. Energy drink lawsuits have been filed in the United States alleging consumers who ingested energy drinks - including Monster Energy drinks - suffered serious heart complications as a result.Read [ Canadian Study Links Teen Consumption of Energy Drinks and Traumatic Brain Injuries ]
March 31, 2016. By Brenda Craig.
Halifax, NS: Dr. Noni MacDonald, a Canadian pediatrician and member of an expert panel convened by Health Canada to study the sale and consumption of caffeinated energy drinks in 2010, is clear about what she believes should be done.Read [ Canadian Pediatrician Expresses Concern about “Energy Drinks” ]
March 29, 2016. By Brenda Craig.
Scarborough, ON: Health Canada keeps on file a list of adverse reactions related to the use of caffeinated energy drinks. Its Summary of Adverse Reactions shows 87 adverse events (from 1964 to 2012), including three deaths, in which Health Canada says a caffeinated energy drink, or product, had “a suspected role” in causing some type of physical reaction, from dizziness and mental confusion to severe cardiac events.Read [ Toronto Father Believes His Son among “Suspected” Energy Drink Deaths ]
March 1, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Riverside, CA: A product that is alleged to trigger heart attacks, strokes, brain damage and kidney failure in people as young as 14 is facing additional litigation following the filing of lawsuits against Monster Beverage Corp. Plaintiffs allege Monster Energy Drink Deaths and Hospitalizations.Read [ More Lawsuits Filed Alleging Monster Energy Drink Injury ]
February 20, 2016. By Heidi Turner.
New York, NY: It's not just herbal supplement companies that face the wrath of consumers who allege they’ve been misled into buying herbal supplements. Celebrities that are seen as endorsing the supplements are also on the receiving end of lawsuits. Dr. Oz has faced congressional hearings and now faces a lawsuit over fat-burning supplements, with plaintiffs alleging they were misled into buying worthless supplements.Read [ Dr. Oz Faces Herbal Supplement Lawsuit ]
February 6, 2016. By Heidi Turner.
New York, NY: While Monster Energy faces a variety of lawsuits concerning its actual energy drinks, it no longer has to deal with the copyright infringement lawsuit filed by the Beastie Boys. That’s because the lawsuit was settled for an undisclosed amount in January 2016. With that claim out of the way, Monster Energy can focus again on other energy drink lawsuits concerning warnings on the drink’s label.Read [ Beastie Boys Settle Conflict with Monster Energy ]
- Frontline Investigates Herbal Supplement Industry By Heidi Turner (Jan-22-16)
- Monster Drink Contents Lawsuit Lobbed Back to State Court By Gordon Gibb (Jan-8-16)
- Is Monster Energy Drink Ad Jargon Dangerous or “Mere Puffery”? By Gordon Gibb (Dec-31-15)
- From Bad to Worse for GNC: Shareholders Launch Herbal Supplements Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Dec-27-15)
- Energy Drink Reportedly Linked to Man’s Heart Attack By Heidi Turner (Dec-16-15)
- Sexual Enhancement Dietary Supplements Found to Have Secret Ingredients By Heidi Turner (Nov-30-15)
- Woman Says Energy Drinks Ruined Her Life By Heidi Turner (Nov-29-15)
- Despite Concerns about Energy Drinks, Restaurants Begin Sales By Heidi Turner (Oct-30-15)
- GNC under Scrutiny Again Over Herbal Supplement Ingredients By Gordon Gibb (Oct-24-15)
- Monster Energy Drinks Safety Designation Easily Obtained By Gordon Gibb (Oct-14-15)
- Monster Energy Drink Lawsuit Reportedly Settled By Heidi Turner (Sep-25-15)
- New Herbal Supplement Targeted by Investigation By Heidi Turner (Sep-22-15)
- Calls for More Regulation in Wake of Energy Drink Deaths By Gordon Gibb (Sep-12-15)
- Lawsuits Say Monster Drinks Lead to Devastating Brain Injury By Brenda Craig (Sep-11-15)
- Energy Drink Lawsuits: Understanding Caffeine By Heidi Turner (Aug-27-15)
- Herbal Supplements Lawsuit Seeks Compensation from Arbonne for Liver Failure By Gordon Gibb (Aug-15-15)
- Monster Drink Contents Wrongful Death Lawsuit Goes to Trial By Gordon Gibb (Aug-6-15)
- Lawsuit Filed against Energy Drink Maker By Heidi Turner (Jul-23-15)
- Unregulated Herbal Supplements Can Be Lethal By Gordon Gibb (Jul-20-15)
- Two Monster Energy Lawsuits Reportedly Settled By Heidi Turner (Jun-12-15)
- More to Monster Drink Contents Than Just Caffeine By Gordon Gibb (May-21-15)
- Changes Coming to Herbal Supplement Industry By Heidi Turner (May-16-15)
- Energy Drinks: Caffeine and More Caffeine By Heidi Turner (May-2-15)
- In Wake of Supplements Lawsuit, GNC Agrees to Changes By Heidi Turner (Apr-17-15)
- Study Suggests Energy Drinks Dangerous for Adolescents By Heidi Turner (Apr-10-15)
- First Energy Drink Wrongful Death Suit Goes to Trial By Brenda Craig (Mar-26-15)
- Monster Headaches for Monster Beverage Corp: Trial Begins in April By Gordon Gibb (Mar-25-15)
- Herbal Supplements: A Massive Industry with Little Oversight By Gordon Gibb (Mar-21-15)
- Can Herbal Supplements Lawsuits Support Lack of DNA Evidence? By Jane Mundy (Mar-15-15)
- Despite Dangers, Energy Drink Sales on the Rise By Heidi Turner (Mar-14-15)
- Lawsuits Filed Over Herbal Supplements By Heidi Turner (Mar-7-15)
- Feed Your Body with Food, Not Herbal Supplements By Jane Mundy (Mar-1-15)
- Study Finds Children at Risk, Monster Energy Drink Trial Set for April By Gordon Gibb (Feb-27-15)
- Energy Drink Lawsuit Filed After Consumer’s Death By Heidi Turner (Feb-20-15)
- Herbal Supplements Under Attack from Regulators and Consumers By Heidi Turner (Feb-18-15)
- Major Retailers Asked To Stop Sales Of Store Brand Herbal Supplements By Lucy Campbell (Feb-5-15)
- The Case against Monster Beverage Powers Up By Brenda Craig (Jan-10-15)
- Study Suggests Link between Testosterone Therapy and Heart Attacks By Heidi Turner (Feb-10-14)
- The Glucosamine Game and Your Pets By Brenda Craig (Nov-29-13)
- Do the Monster Math: Monster Energy Drinks By Jane Mundy (Oct-31-13)