Express (12/11/15) reports on Martin Bowling, who at 28 years old was working 60-hour weeks in insurance. To keep himself going, he reportedly drank high quantities of an energy drink. One night after drinking two liters of an energy drink, he collapsed in a pub and was taken to the hospital. After testing, doctors found excessively high levels of caffeine in Bowling’s blood stream, which they believe contributed to his heart attack.
In October 2014, the World Health Organization (WHO) issued a warning concerning energy drinks, noting that increased consumption of the drinks could pose a danger to public health, especially in young consumers. According to the WHO, in Sweden, sales of some types of energy drinks to children are banned, while in Hungary, a public health tax has been placed on certain goods including energy drinks.
READ MORE MONSTER ENERGY DRINK INJURY LEGAL NEWS
In 2015, three lawsuits filed against Monster Energy were settled for undisclosed amounts. The wrongful death lawsuits alleged consumers died of heart problems shortly after consuming an energy drink. Although Monster Energy reportedly settled the lawsuits, the company argues its products are safe for consumption.
Critics of energy drinks note that the drinks may include “masked” caffeine, which is more highly concentrated than the caffeine found in coffee. Guarana, which may be used in energy drinks, is reportedly twice as concentrated as coffee bean caffeine. Furthermore, certain medications can increase the effects of the caffeine.
Caffeine toxicity has been linked to cardiac problems, including arrhythmia.