LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATIONCivil/Human Rights
Legal News Articles - Civil/Human Rights
August 1, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Los Angeles, CA: The noise from Washington D.C. these past months is such a wild, aggressive cacophony of loud voices, tweets, emails, conflicting opinion and unending TV gab that it is easy to overlook some very significant Trump inspired legislation making its way through the House of Representatives and the Senate.Read [ ‘Back the Blue Bill’ Will Crush Civil Rights/Wrongful Death Lawsuits ]
July 28, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Torrance, CA The video posted on YouTube shows a large gray sedan blocked in on a friendly neighborhood side street in Torrance, California with a 39-year-old black woman behind the wheel. The car accelerates and rams a police car, then lurches forward and rams another police car. Three Torrance police officers fire 33 bullets in rapid succession into the vehicle. Michelle Shirley, a mother and a graduate of Loyola University law school is gravely wounded and within an hour she is pronounced dead at County Harbor – UCLA Medical Center on October 31, 2016.Read [ Wrongful Death Suit Filed After Cops Shoot Woman with Bipolar Disorder 33 Times ]
May 31, 2017. By Deb Hipp.
Orlando, FL: A Florida man is suing Credit One Bank, claiming that the bank "robocalled" him more than 125 times in violation of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.Read [ Bank Allegedly Robocalls Man More Than 125 Times to Collect a Debt ]
May 23, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Washington, DC: Consumer advocates see potential storm clouds on the horizon and they are standing-at-the-ready to fight any forthcoming threat that might preclude consumers from using class action suits to pursue justice.Read [ Consumer and Legal Advocates Concerned About Potential Threats to Class Action Lawsuits ]
May 20, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Washington, DC: Victims of state-sponsored terrorism have begun to receive compensation under the United States Victims of State Sponsored Terrorism Act (USVSSTA), with payments flowing as of March of this year. While that’s good news for victims and their families harmed by such acts of terror, lawsuits continue to be filed by plaintiffs alleging that the playing field, as it were, is far from level.Read [ Payments Flowing to State Sponsored Terrorism Victims, but Lawsuits Continue ]
May 3, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Dallas, Texas Veteran attorney Ethan Preston knows the world of class actions very well. He’s successfully represented thousands of people in consumer and small class action lawsuits as a Texas attorney through his firm Ethan Preston Law, where much of his focus is on consumer technology and consumer privacy cases.Read [ California Attorney Stands Up for Consumer Rights and Class Action Suits ]
April 25, 2017. By Attorney Bill Green, Green Law Firm.
North Charleston, SC:You’d have to be under a rock the last week to have missed the story of David Dao, a Chinese-American passenger who was forcibly removed from an overbooked United Airlines flight after resisting his removal. The media has been all over this blatant example of excessive force; and so they should. It’s violent, visceral, and reminds us that everyday people can be pushed around by the systems of “big companies” whether they like it or not.Read [ Why Your Cell Phone Matters: 5 Lessons from the United Airlines PR Disaster ]
April 18, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Chicago, Ill Lawyers representing Dr. David Dao, the 69-year-old passenger who was forcibly removed from a United Airlines flight, have filed an emergency request with a court in Chicago asking the airline to preserve all video, cockpit recordings, surveillance video, passenger and crew lists and other evidence related to the incident.Read [ Man Ejected from United Airlines Seat Prepares to Sue ]
March 21, 2017. By Deb Hipp.
Washington, DC: A new law on state sponsored terrorism may soon allow relatives of people killed in the World Trade Center terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001 to sue Saudi Arabia over its alleged ties to the terror attacks.Read [ New Law May Allow 9/11 Families to Take Saudi Government Officials to Court ]
November 30, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Washington, DC: The most recent state-sponsored terrorism lawsuit under the recently-passed Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act (JASTA) was filed earlier this month, within a week of the US Presidential election. The daughters of Emeric J. Harvey, the owner of a trading company housed at the former World Trade Center who died in the 9/11 attacks, have filed a wrongful death lawsuit.Read [ Trio of State-Sponsored Terrorism Lawsuits Progressing Cautiously ]
- Congress Overrides Obama, Allows State Sponsored Terrorism Lawsuits Linked to 9/11 By Heidi Turner (Oct-16-16)
- Another Unarmed Black Man Shot and Killed by Police By Lucy Campbell (Sep-28-16)
- Victims of State-Sponsored Terrorism Can Sue, and Now They Can be Paid By Gordon Gibb (Sep-27-16)
- Court Should Direct FEC to Investigate Karl Rove’s Crossroads GPS By The National Trial Lawyers (Aug-3-16)
- FTC Restrictions On Jerk.com Reputation Website Upheld By The National Trial Lawyers (Jul-22-16)
- University of Texas Professors Fight for Gun-Free Classrooms By Brenda Craig (Jul-15-16)
- Same Sex Common Law Marriage Benefits Victory in Pennsylvania By LAS Staff Writer (Jun-15-16)
- Ohio Man Who Was Beaten by Drunk Cop and Locked in Closet Recovers $22M By The National Trial Lawyers (Jun-11-16)
- Sears May Be Liable for 1,000 Women Video Recorded by Peeping Tom By The National Trial Lawyers (Jul-9-15)
- Debt Collector Lawsuit by Feds Shuts Down Bogus Bill Collector By Gordon Gibb (May-18-15)
- Unscrupulous Debt Collectors Generate 88,300 Complaints a Year By The National Trial Lawyers (May-13-15)
- Debt Collector Harassment Costs Green Tree Millions By Gordon Gibb (Apr-28-15)
- Debt Collector Harassment Can Take Many Forms By Gordon Gibb (Mar-17-15)
- DriveTime Hit with $8 Million Settlement for Debt Collector Harassment By Gordon Gibb (Feb-21-15)
- Tampa Bay Couple Awarded $1 Million in Debt Collector Harassment Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Jan-20-15)
- Debt Collector Owes $33,000 for Harassing Consumer By Heidi Turner (Dec-12-14)
- Attorneys from Capes Sokol Challenge Missouri’s Defense of Marriage Laws By LAS Staff Writer (Dec-7-14)
- Collection Agency Liable for Charging Debtor for Calls By The National Trial Lawyers (Nov-18-14)
- “Terms of Endurement”: Debt Collector Harassment By Gordon Gibb (Nov-11-14)
- Debt Collector Harassment to See Federal Oversight By Gordon Gibb (Oct-28-14)
- State Courts Invalidate Consumer Arbitration Clauses, and Sidestep SCOTUS Ruling By The National Trial Lawyers (Oct-17-14)
- Debt Collector Harassment Lawsuit Filed against Kaiser Foundation By Heidi Turner (Sep-15-14)
- Debt Collector Harassment: An Envelope Is a Window of Opportunity By Gordon Gibb (Aug-31-14)
- CFPB Files Claim against Debt Collection Lawsuit Mill By Heidi Turner (Aug-16-14)
- ACE Cash Express to Pay $10 Million for Debt Collector Harassment By Gordon Gibb (Jul-30-14)
- Lawsuit Filed Over Debt Collector Harassment By Heidi Turner (Jul-11-14)
- Court Decision Could Make It Easier to Sue for Debt Collector Harassment By Gordon Gibb (Jun-26-14)
- Debt Collector Harassment Nightmare Continues for Consumers By Heidi Turner (Jun-10-14)
- Debt Collector Harassment Is Bullying by Any Other Name By Gordon Gibb (May-28-14)
- Debt Collector Harassment Profitable for Some Companies By Heidi Turner (May-11-14)
- Bill Collector Harassment: It’s an Issue of Language By Gordon Gibb (Apr-25-14)
- Fingerhut Telephone Calls Not a Good Fit for Good Friday By Gordon Gibb (Apr-18-14)
- Debt Collectors to Surrender $3.3 Million in Assets By Heidi Turner (Apr-17-14)
- Debt Collector Harassment a Serious Problem By Heidi Turner (Mar-20-14)
- Consumers Protected from Debt Collector Harassment By Heidi Turner (Feb-25-14)
- Debt Collector Issues Extend beyond Harassment By Heidi Turner (Feb-13-14)
- The Untold Super Bowl Story: All the Super Bowl Lawsuits... By Gordon Gibb (Jan-29-14)
- Debt Collector Harassment Lawsuits: The Litigation of 2014? By Heidi Turner (Jan-25-14)
- Victim of Debt Collector Harassment Sees Credit Score Smeared By Gordon Gibb (Jan-4-14)
- Payday Lender in Trouble for Debt Collector Violations By Heidi Turner (Dec-22-13)