LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
A contributing legal writer for LawyersandSettlements.com in 2007, Anne Borden covered personal injury lawsuits that centered on pharmaceutical adverse events as well as consumer protection litigation.
August 29, 2007.
Chicago, IL: In their rush to increase profits, CEOs often agree to "downsizing," "smartcizing" and other measures designed to squeeze as much labor out of their workforce as humanly possible, at the lowest cost. Too often, this involves denying workers overtime pay.Read [ Workers Denied Overtime Take it to the Courts -- and Win ]
August 29, 2007.
Washington, DC: The U.S. House Subcommittee on Consumer Protection has scheduled a September 19 hearing to develop new initiatives to protect U.S. children from toys, jewelry and other imported products contaminated with lead paint.Read [ Lawmakers Respond to Mattel Toy Recalls: Senate Committee Hearings Set for September 19 ]
August 28, 2007.
Washington, DC: The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission reports that Mattel has received more than 400 reports of magnets coming loose in products such as Polly Pocket, Doggie Day Care, Barbie & Tanner, Batman and "Sarge" Die Cast toy cars.Read [ More Children's Toys Recalled as Protection Agency's Funding Cut ]
August 27, 2007.
Madison, NJ: Ten years after the Mayo Clinic study that lead to the recall of the diet drug fen phen, more and more cases of primary pulmonary hypertension are emerging in former fen phen users, and lawsuits are on the rise.Read [ 10 Years After Mayo Clinic Study, New PPH Findings Among Fen-Phen Users ]
August 26, 2007.
Read [ Oxycontin: A Recovering Addict Speaks Out ]
Vancouver, BC "At first it just made me feel better, painwise," says Richard Dorn (not his real name). "but after a while I had to have it." Lawsuits across the country are alleging that OxyContin's maker knew or ought to have known that ingesting Oxycontin leads to drug dependency and addiction.
August 25, 2007.
Read [ Ketek Scandal Shows Need for "Complete Overhaul" at FDA ]
Washington, DC Physicians and senate investigators are calling for a major overhaul in the drug regulation process at the US Food and Drug Administration, based on the recent scandal involving approvals for the antibiotic Ketek.
August 22, 2007.
Read [ Snus: Big Tobacco's "Smokeless" Drug is Linked to Mouth Cancer ]
Washington, DC "Snus", a Swedish type of smokeless tobacco, appears to be Big Tobacco's latest effort to recruit young Americans into a life of addiction and health risks.
August 22, 2007.
Read [ Dilantin and SJS: Victims are at "Significant Risk" ]
Baltimore, MD It took doctors nearly a week to diagnose Samantha G. with Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS), the potentially deadly skin disease. Because there is no official reporting structure for the syndrome in relation to drug interactions, many doctors initially miss (and misdiagnose) SJS, and may not even discontinue the medication, such as Dilantin, that is associated with it.
August 16, 2007.
Read [ Pollution Watchdog: Public Beach Pollution Worse in 2007 ]
Buffalo, NY The Natural Resource Defense Council has published its annual list of the best--and worst--public beaches in the US, with findings that shoreline pollution has gotten worse. This pollution can make swimmers sick and lead to long-term problems for local residents and ecosystems.
August 15, 2007.
Read [ Factory Farms: Air Pollution and the Threat of Bird Flu ]
Little Rock, AK As neighbors of factory farms continue to file lawsuits claiming asthma and other illnesses, some experts are documenting another public health threat: bird flu.
- Studies Link Obesity and Birth Defects: Connection to Diet Pills Explored (Aug-15-07)
- Dilantin and SJS: Victims Describe a Nightmare of Pain and Misdiagnosis (Aug-14-07)
- Oxycontin More Popular than Heroin on Canada's Streets: Lawsuits on the Rise (Aug-13-07)
- Avandia Drug Maker Accused of Bullying Critics (Aug-9-07)
- Stevens Johnson Syndrome: The Dilantin Connection (Aug-9-07)
- Avandia Drug Maker's Stock Rises: FDA "Dropped the Ball" says Congressman (Aug-7-07)
- Factory Farm Pollution: Neighbors Turn to Lawsuits (Aug-7-07)
- Medtronic Shareholders Meeting: A Year of Lawsuits and Controversy (Aug-6-07)
- Watchdog Group to FDA: Avandia Should Be Removed From the Market (Aug-3-07)
- FDA Officer: Viagra Reports Kept Under Wraps (Aug-2-07)
- FDA Avandia Panel Faces Scrutiny from Scientists, Health Advocates (Aug-2-07)
- August Issue of Diabetes Care Documents Avandia Risks: Critics Assail FDA Panel (Aug-1-07)
- Hog Wash: Animal Waste Sparks Tempers and Lawsuits in Midwest (Jul-30-07)
- Increase in Canadian AK Infections: Link to AMO? (Jul-29-07)
- Kansas Oil Spill's Long-Term Impact: Where is the Toxic Trash Going? (Jul-28-07)
- "Another Love Canal": Environmentalists Assess Oil Spill Dangers (Jul-21-07)
- AMO: Did Recalled Lens Solution Remain on Canadian Store Shelves? (Jul-20-07)
- Oil Spill Victims Return Home to Devastation as Oil Prices Rise (Jul-17-07)
- Scientists: Factory Farm Neighbors Face Health Risks (Jul-17-07)
- New Report on Avandia Risks (Jul-16-07)
- More Seroquel Lawsuits: Patients Speak Out (Jul-15-07)
- FDA Internal Memo: Early "Black Box" Recommendation Ignored (Jul-14-07)
- Overtime Stress Takes Toll on IT Workers: Lawsuits in California (Jul-12-07)
- EPA Assesses Environmental Disaster in Kansas: Significant Contamination from Oil Spill (Jul-10-07)
- Serevent: Scientists Push for Recall, Advocates Claim Big Pharma Coverup (Jul-10-07)
- The Diabetes Connection: Off-Label Seroquel Prescriptions for Prisoners, Elderly (Jul-9-07)
- Scientists Demand Action on Avandia: New FDA Panels Formed (Jul-8-07)
- Factory Farms: What Can Be Done? (Jul-5-07)
- FDA: Bausch and Lomb Did Not Take Proper Action on ReNu (Jul-4-07)
- "What Stinks?" It's the Factory Farm (Jul-3-07)
- Intergel Scandal: A "Dangerous Precedent" at FDA? (Jun-24-07)
- "A Walking Time Bomb": One Victim's Story (Jun-23-07)
- U.S. Government Investigates Fortune-1000 401(k) Fees (Jun-16-07)
- New Congressional Hearings on "Deadly, Devastating" Effects of Asbestos (Jun-15-07)
- Remembering a Hero: Asbestos Activist Les Skramstad (Jun-12-07)
- The "Dark Side" of Fortune 1000 Companies' 401(k) Fees (Jun-11-07)
- Asbestos Video highlights plight of U.S. Capitol Tunnel Workers (Jun-5-07)
- Health Advocates Concerned as FDA Approves New Dosage Strength of Fosamax (Jun-4-07)
- Asbestos Found in 21 University Buildings at Cal State (May-23-07)
- Increased Risks for Motorcyclists: Are Auto Drivers to Blame? (May-22-07)