LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATIONInternet/Technology
Legal News Articles - Internet/Technology
October 11, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
San Francisco, CA: If you are one of the 1.4 billion Gmail users around the globe, you are likely more than familiar with annoying online ads. But so too are email users who didn’t sign up to Gmail. People like Rick, who is fed up with barrages of ads. And people like Rick are filing Google complaints.Read [ Google Gmail is “Creepy”, says a Non-Gmail User Filing Complaint ]
September 14, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Google Mail California Claims Expire end of September: File Now, Attorney Urges ]
Santa Clara, CA: Attorney Ray Gallo has filed a lawsuit against Google on behalf of individuals seeking compensation for invasion of privacy. Gallo says that if you do not use Gmail but sent an email to a Gmail user, Google intercepted it and processed it for advertising purposes, and you may be owed $5,000 under the California Invasion of Privacy Act.
February 6, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Chaska, MN: By the middle of 2017, after more than 128 bill collector harassment calls Kristie Drigger had had enough. She sued Capital One Bank in Minnesota District Court, seeking at least $1,500 per telephone call made in violation of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA).Read [ Minnesota Consumer Sues Capital One over 128 Bill Collector Robocalls to Cellular Phone ]
October 27, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Atlanta, GA: Lead plaintiffs in a class action lawsuit filed in US District Court in Atlanta claim it was the Equifax breach between May and July 2017 that led to real life problems after their personal and private information was snatched from the credit reporting agency’s data bank and then allegedly used by criminals for illegal purposes.Read [ Equifax Breach Led to Real Life Problems says Class Action ]
January 9, 2017. By Lucy Campbell.
Santa Clara, CA: Today the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued information and recommendations regarding cybersecurity vulnerabilities for St. Jude Medical's radio frequency (RF)-enabled implantable cardiac devices and Merlin@home Transmitter. The agency, while confirming there is a risk for a breach, has also noted that to date they have not received any reports of patient harm related to these cybersecurity vulnerabilities.Read [ FDA Warns Cybersecurity Vulnerabilities Identified With St. Jude’s Implantable Cardiac Devices ]
September 28, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Los Angeles, CA: With so many data breaches occurring in the last several years, and given the vulnerability of heretofore impenetrable platforms such as hospitals and even the federal government, experts advocate that given the increasing sophistication of hackers it’s only a matter of time before the next one. That leaves most Americans waiting for the other shoe, and the next data breach lawsuit, to drop.Read [ Massive Yahoo Data Breach Revealed, Class Actions Pop Up Next Day ]
July 15, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
San Diego, CA: A data breach lawsuit has sprouted up in California, alleging that a phishing scam has resulted in the hacking of wage and tax forms belonging to some 21,000 employees in 13 states.Read [ Data Breach Class-Action Lawsuit Sprouts in California ]
June 24, 2016. By Heidi Turner.
Columbus, OH: The Wendy's data breach may be much bigger than originally thought, according to reports. Unfortunately, Wendy’s so far isn’t giving a lot of information about how much bigger the breach is or where the stores involved are located. As a result, customers are left wondering if their personal information has been compromised in the data breach.Read [ Wendy’s Data Breach Bigger Than Thought ]
May 11, 2016. By Heidi Turner.
Washington, DC: A new report from the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) shows that data breach complaints are on the rise. In the report, Consumer Sentinel Network Data Book (2/16), the FTC notes that complaints about identity theft increased 47 percent in 2015, likely helped by a number of high-profile data breaches. Consumers have filed lawsuits against companies they allege have failed to adequately protect their personal, confidential information.Read [ Data Breach Complaints on the Rise ]
April 8, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Boston, MA: Of all the potential data breaches that could lead to headache, heartbreak, identity theft and a data breach lawsuit, perhaps the most damning and potentially embarrassing breach is the unlawful access of medical records. With more hospitals and health care facilities archiving and making medical records available electronically, the risks for those records falling into the wrong hands increases exponentially with increased availability of data and heightened sophistication on the part of criminals.Read [ Plaintiffs Allege Data Breach by Boston Medical Center, Lawsuit to Go Ahead ]
- Identity Theft Complaints on the Rise By Heidi Turner (Mar-4-16)
- If the Feds Can Get Hacked in a Data Breach, How Safe Are We? By Gordon Gibb (Feb-4-16)
- The Fallout from a Data Breach By Heidi Turner (Jan-2-16)
- Data Breach Settlements Announced By Heidi Turner (Dec-16-15)
- Dating App’s Premium Package Has Unfair Cancellation Process—Suit Alleges By Brenda Craig (Dec-14-15)
- Lawsuit Filed against Gay Dating App By Brenda Craig (Dec-12-15)
- The Home Depot Inc. Seeks to Have Data Breach Lawsuit Dismissed By Gordon Gibb (Nov-13-15)
- Trump Hotels Hit with Data Breach Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Oct-31-15)
- Uber Wins Data Breach Lawsuit; T-Mobile Faces Lawsuit of Its Own By Heidi Turner (Oct-20-15)
- Authority of FTC Over Cyber Security and Data Breaches Upheld By Gordon Gibb (Sep-24-15)
- 7th Circuit Grants Standing to Neiman Marcus Data Breach Plaintiffs By The National Trial Lawyers (Sep-22-15)
- More Patient Information Reportedly Compromised By Heidi Turner (Sep-6-15)
- Illinois Top Court Rules Online Commenter Identity Must be Revealed By The National Trial Lawyers (Aug-26-15)
- Ashley Madison Data Breach Class Action Proposed in Missouri By Gordon Gibb (Aug-23-15)
- UCLA Health Should Wake Up and Smell Too Many Data Breaches By Jane Mundy (Aug-17-15)
- Millions Potentially Affected by Premera Data Breach By Heidi Turner (Aug-13-15)
- First Car-Hacking Class Action Filed against Ford, GM and Toyota By Brenda Craig (Jul-25-15)
- In the Latest Data Breach, Ashley Madison Cheating Site Gets Screwed By Gordon Gibb (Jul-23-15)
- UCLA and CVS Report Data Breaches By Lucy Campbell (Jul-17-15)
- Meet the Lawyer Who's Fighting for Your Online Reputation By Brenda Craig (Jul-12-15)
- Premera Data Breach Victim Facing False Tax Return Joins Premera Class Action By Gordon Gibb (Jul-12-15)
- Premera Data Breach Lawyer: Companies Must Face Consequences for Failing to Protect Identifying Information By Heidi Turner (Jul-10-15)
- Premera Blue Cross Data Breach Results in Several Lawsuits, Class Actions By Gordon Gibb (Jul-6-15)
- Second US Government Data Breach Could Affect 14 Million By Gordon Gibb (Jun-14-15)
- Yahoo Email Scanning Class Action Lawsuit Gets Green Light By Lucy Campbell (Jun-4-15)
- Home Depot Data Breach Lawsuit Alleges Complacency to Blame By Heidi Turner (May-24-15)
- Lawsuit Filed Against Twitter Prompts Quick Resolution for Forster Boughman & Lefkowitz Client By LAS Staff Writer (May-14-15)
- $10 Million Target Data Breach Settlement Proposed By Gordon Gibb (May-14-15)
- Target Settles MasterCard Data Breach Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Apr-25-15)
- Target Corp. on Target with $10 Million Data Breach Settlement By Gordon Gibb (Apr-11-15)
- Never, Never Give Anyone Your Password, Ever! By Brenda Craig (Mar-30-15)
- Consumers Count on Corporations to Keep Their Data Secure By Gordon Gibb (Mar-23-15)
- Cyber Security Expert Says Employees Need to Stop Opening the Door to Strangers By Brenda Craig (Mar-18-15)
- Two New Data Breaches Put Consumer Information at Risk By Heidi Turner (Mar-10-15)
- Increasingly Savvy Hackers Snatched Billions of Dollars in Data By Brenda Craig (Feb-24-15)
- Sony Attempts to Toss Data Breach Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (Feb-12-15)
- Fake Social Media Account by Police Allowed Without Warrant By The National Trial Lawyers (Feb-5-15)
- Target Data Breach Class Action Gets Approval By Heidi Turner (Jan-24-15)
- More Lawsuits Filed in Home Depot Data Breach By Heidi Turner (Dec-18-14)
- More Bad News surrounding Home Depot Data Breach By Gordon Gibb (Nov-12-14)