Legal News Articles - Environment
Asbestos Mesothelioma Passed from Father to Son, Guilty Verdict for Defendant Liberty Utilities (Park Water) Corp.
June 25, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Los Angeles, CA: A California jury recently awarded Alfred Mata and his wife $11.4 million in an asbestos lawsuit against Liberty Utilities (Park Water) Corp. Alfred developed mesothelioma from his father, who worked with water pipes that contained asbestos and brought the fibers home on his clothes.Read [ Asbestos Mesothelioma Passed from Father to Son, Guilty Verdict for Defendant Liberty Utilities (Park Water) Corp. ]
March 20, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Trenton, NJ Environmental law has become better at protecting consumers from asbestos exposure in recent decades. But mesothelioma has a very long latency period, sometimes as long as 50 years. The plaintiff’s case in many asbestos mesothelioma lawsuits depends on finding very old samples of the product implicated in exposure. That’s tough, especially when those samples tend to be in the possession of the defendant.Read [ New Evidence Reopens Scotts Turf Builder Mesothelioma Lawsuit ]
November 26, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Washington, DC: The dismissal of burn pit exposure class action lawsuits against a military contractor at the state level – and the forthcoming appeal – will provide little solace to veterans sickened by the fumes and chemicals originating from military burn pits. This is especially true when one considers the thrust of an amicus curiae brief filed with the US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.Read [ The Odds Are Stacking Up Against Burn Pit Victims ]
November 11, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Baltimore, MD: America has a bed bug problem according to attorney Daniel Whitney from Whitney LLP in Baltimore, Maryland. The veteran attorney and his team of lawyers have successfully resolved hundreds of bedbug lawsuits achieving six figure results on behalf of people who have been ravaged and mauled by the tiny bloodsucking insects.Read [ Bedbug Victims Bite Back ]
November 10, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
San Diego, CA: Epic wildfires rampaged through Northern California in the fall of 2017 destroying everything in their path leaving thousands of people to literally start over from the ground up. An estimated 6,000 homes and buildings were destroyed and at least 42 people died.Read [ Attorney Estimates California Wildfire Damage is in the Billions ]
October 26, 2017. By Anne Wallace.
Washington, DC In August, the plaintiffs filed a Notice of Appeal In re: KBR, Inc., Burn Pit Litigation seeking to overturn the decision of the Fourth Circuit that barred them from suing the military contractor who operated the burn pits in Iraq and Afghanistan. Since individuals cannot sue the military itself, the Fourth Circuit decision effectively leaves these veterans without legal recourse for the injuries they suffered from breathing toxic air and drinking poisonous water.Read [ What is Next for Burn Pit Lawsuits? ]
September 25, 2017. By Anne Wallace.
Baltimore, MD: The US District Court’s dismissal of the multidistrict litigation, In re: KBR, Inc., Burn Pit Litigation is about more than Iraq and Afghanistan burn pits. The exhaustive opinion demonstrates why it is so hard for veterans and their families to sue military contractors when they are hurt because contractors fail to exercise appropriate care in the discharge of their duties. As the nuts and bolts of modern warfare are delegated more frequently to private contractors, this issue is likely to come up again.Read [ Burn Pit Lawsuit Shows How Hard it is to Sue Military Contractors ]
August 9, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Baltimore, MD In a controversial ruling, a US District Court judge in Maryland has ruled US Veterans and their families cannot sue KBR contracting for exposing American soldiers to plumes of toxic smoke that emanated from burn pits used to dispose of trash near US military bases in Afghanistan and Iraq.Read [ Contractor Not to Blame for Veterans’ Health Problems ]
July 26, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
St. Louis, MO A group of seven farmers are the lead plaintiffs in a class action lawsuit that claims “corporate greed” and “a rush to market” by some of the world’s biggest makers and promoters of agricultural chemicals caused farm crops to wither and die costing farm operators millions of dollars in lost revenue and possibly forcing them to switch all their seed stock to herbicide resistant Monsanto seed in the coming years whether they want to or not.Read [ Not-Ready-for-Market Herbicide Kills Farmers’ Crops ]
June 26, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Jacksonville, FL: While Florida premises liability runs the gamut from dog bites to slips and falls, proprietors of hot food and beverages are required to observe caution in order to avoid spills of hot liquid that could injure either an employee, or a customer. To that end, a Starbucks located in the Sunshine State has been hit with a $100,000 judgement over a hot-liquid spill that resulted in a consumer suffering a burn injury.Read [ Florida Premises Liability Lawsuit Results in Jury Award for Burn Victim ]
- Florida Premises Liability Lawsuit Claims Excessive Traffic in Government Office By Gordon Gibb (Apr-10-17)
- Partial Victory for Fan in Florida Premises Liability Lawsuit against Daytona Speedway By Gordon Gibb (Mar-18-17)
- $14.2B Settlement Finalized in VW Emissions Class Action By Lucy Campbell (Oct-26-16)
- Soberanes Wildfire Destroying Homes and Property By Lucy Campbell (Jul-25-16)
- LA Wildfire Explodes to 20,000 Acres By Lucy Campbell (Jul-25-16)
- Alberta Wildfires Dubbed “The Beast” Still Burning Out of Control By Gordon Gibb (May-9-16)
- Major Hearing Scheduled in SoCalGas Porter Ranch Well Blowout Case By LAS Staff Writer (Apr-26-16)
- Save Porter Ranch and 24 Residents File Class Action Claim By LAS Staff Writer (Apr-20-16)
- 689 Residents Living Near Porter Ranch File First Wave of Claims Against the State of California for Gas Injection Well Blowout By LAS Staff Writer (Apr-18-16)
- Porter Ranch Family “Prisoners in Their Own Home” By Jane Mundy (Mar-19-16)
- Ford Motor Co. to Face Asbestos Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Mar-9-16)
- CDC: Lumber Liquidators Flooring Cancer Risk 3 Times Higher than Previously Predicted By Lucy Campbell (Feb-22-16)
- New Jersey Lawsuit Filed against Volkswagen Over VW Emissions Scandal By Gordon Gibb (Feb-16-16)
- Active Santa Susana Fault Lines Intersect All Natural Gas Storage Wells In Aliso Canyon By LAS Staff Writer (Feb-15-16)
- Porter Ranch Attorney Dispels Rumors and Dispenses Facts By Jane Mundy (Feb-10-16)
- Attorney General Kamala D. Harris Lodges Lawsuit Over the Aliso Canyon Gas Leak By LAS Staff Writer (Feb-3-16)
- Englander Calls for Investigation of Bill Spiking for SoCal Gas Customers Countrywide By LAS Staff Writer (Feb-2-16)
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Statement on AQMD Actions By LAS Staff Writer (Jan-31-16)
- New Video and Studies Cast Doubt on SoCalGas Progress By LAS Staff Writer (Jan-19-16)
- Porter Ranch Gas Leak: Are You Safe? By Jane Mundy (Jan-19-16)
- Porter Ranch Methane Leak Will Lead to Litigation By Brenda Craig (Jan-10-16)
- Porter Ranch Residents’ Voices Are Finally Heard as Governor Brown Declares State of Emergency By LAS Staff Writer (Jan-8-16)
- Governor Brown Declares State of Emergency Over Porter Ranch Gas Leak Disaster By Gordon Gibb (Jan-7-16)
- Porter Ranch SoCal Gas Leak Declared State of Emergency By Lucy Campbell (Jan-7-16)
- No Christmas Tree for Porter Ranch Gas Leak Victims By Jane Mundy (Dec-23-15)
- Porter Ranch Gas Leak: Attorney Robert Kennedy Jr. Weighs In By Jane Mundy (Dec-17-15)
- Porter Ranch Gas Leak Compared to BP Oil Spill By Gordon Gibb (Dec-12-15)
- Kentucky Residents Allowed to Proceed in Toxic Emissions Dust Class Action By The National Trial Lawyers (Dec-3-15)
- Lawsuit Uncovers Governor Had State Workers Develop Maps for Personal Oil Holdings By LAS Staff Writer (Nov-10-15)
- More Than 1,800 Syngenta Lawsuits Reportedly Filed By Heidi Turner (Nov-7-15)
- Texas Jury Awards $8.2M Against DuPont In Benzene Exposure Case By The National Trial Lawyers (Oct-23-15)
- Asbestos Lawsuit Nets $3.5 Million By Heidi Turner (Oct-23-15)
- Texas County Is First Government Agency to Sue VW for Environmental Harm By The National Trial Lawyers (Oct-1-15)
- Attorney: Volkswagen Owners Could Suffer Tremendous Financial Impact By Heidi Turner (Sep-30-15)
- Car Sellers in Class Action against VW Germany By Brenda Craig (Sep-29-15)
- Clean Diesel Technology Claim Deceived Millions of VW Owners By Brenda Craig (Sep-28-15)
- VW Owners File $1 Billion Suit By Brenda Craig (Sep-24-15)
- Volkswagen Facing Nationwide Lawsuit Over Environmental Emissions Deception By Lucy Campbell (Sep-22-15)
- Mesothelioma Lawsuit Results in $1.42M Award By Heidi Turner (Sep-11-15)
- Customers File Lumber Liquidators Lawsuits Alleging Excess Formaldehyde By Heidi Turner (Aug-15-15)