Legal News Articles - Drugs/Medical
May 29, 2008. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Icy Hot Heat Therapy Patches: "Pretty Scary" ]
Virginia Beach, VA Karen S. (not her real name) has used Icy Hot Heat Therapy Patches for a long time and says until recently she did not have any problems with them. However, the last time she used a heat therapy patch she suffered burn-like symptoms. Many people who suffered injuries similar to Karen's are now considering a possible lawsuit against the maker of the patch, alleging they were not properly warned about the risks.
May 29, 2008. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Chantix: The Kids Also Suffer ]
Silver Springs, FL On their doctor's advice, Tara and her husband were both prescribed Chantix to quit their smoking addiction. Although the drug has a high success rate, many users are questioning whether the psychological side effects are worth it. "We were so mean to each other and our kids during and right after taking Chantix, we lashed out at them for no reason," says Tara.
May 28, 2008. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Botox: Injecting Pain into Patients ]
Las Vegas, NV When people think of Botox they tend to think of the drug's cosmetic uses. In fact, most people automatically assume that someone having a Botox injection has done so as a way of improving physical appearance. However, that is not the only thing Botox is used for. Botox is frequently used to help people with a number of medical problems, including migraines and cervical dystonia. It is also sometimes used to treat cerebral palsy-associated limb spasticity in children.
May 28, 2008. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ ReNu Lens Solution: Two Years After Recall, Lawsuits Keep Coming ]
Springfield, IL Imagine if someone poured sand into the front of your eye, then massaged your eye with a thousand tiny needles, then squeezed the eyeball. That's how one person described the pain associated with Fusarium Keratitis after using ReNu with MoistureLoc contact lens solution from Bausch & Lomb.
May 28, 2008. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Unraveling the Mystery of Heparin-Related Death ]
Cambridge, MA Researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) have discovered just why tainted heparin is so deadly. The contaminant, oversulfated chondroitin sulfate – OSCS, causes allergic reactions by activating two inflammatory pathways.
May 28, 2008. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ MRI Patient Fears he Has NSF/NFD ]
Boston, MA It is a horrible affliction: early warning signs are drying and cracking of skin in the joint areas followed by thickening of fingers, knuckles, elbows and knees. Eventually the exterior skin dries up and actually entombs the victim until they die in a terrible, painful husk of their skin. No, it isn't a horror movie. These are symptoms of patients afflicted with NSF & NFD—a serious health risk linked to MRI contrast agents.
May 27, 2008. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Asthma Drugs: No Cause for Asthma Sufferers to Breathe Easy… ]
Washington, DC It's been two years since the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) last issued significant data, and updated product labels for asthma drugs Advair, Serevent and Foradil after concerns that the drugs, while lessening the frequency of wheezing attacks, could increase their ultimate severity. There has been little information since.
May 26, 2008. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Asbestos Mesothelioma: Wake Up Canada! ]
Ottawa, ON Despite reams of research and countless deaths linking mesothelioma directly to asbestos, the Canadian government still says asbestos is safe "if handled correctly". Tell that to victims and their families of this horrific disease.
May 25, 2008. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Chantix Suicide: Quit-Smoking Aid, or Smoking Gun? ]
Horsham, PA It's somewhat ironic when one considers the suicide risk inherent with use of the anti-smoking drug Chantix, given that some analysts are expressing concern over the very health of Pfizer, the pharmaceutical giant that makes the now-controversial Chantix. "It is another nail in Pfizer's coffin," said one analyst in New York.
May 25, 2008. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ It's Game Over for Trasylol, but Bayer Refuses to Fold ]
Washington, DC If Trasylol maker Bayer AG were into playing the odds, the Germany-based manufacturer is hedging its bets over its once-dominant anti-bleeding drug, even though most believe that the Canadian BART clinical trial has effectively sounded the death knell for a drug that has allegedly spelled death for thousands of heart patients.
- Botox Adverse Effects Makes Looking Younger, Less Attractive By Gordon Gibb (May-24-08)
- Chantix News Means Trouble for Pfizer By Jane Mundy (May-23-08)
- Remaining Trasylol Stocks Recalled By Heidi Turner (May-23-08)
- PPH & Fen-Phen Lawsuit: "Can I Still Make a Claim?" By Jane Mundy (May-22-08)
- Chantix Grounded by Federal Aviation Administration By Gordon Gibb (May-22-08)
- Heparin-related Heart Problems and Shortness of Breath By Lucy Campbell (May-22-08)
- The Many Pitfalls of the Duragesic Fentanyl Patch By Gordon Gibb (May-20-08)
- Digitek Defect: Twice the Size, Twice the Dose By Gordon Gibb (May-20-08)
- Duragesic Pain Patch: Hundreds of Lawsuits Pending By Heidi Turner (May-18-08)
- Fen-phen PPH: "I Was Scared to Death" By Gordon Gibb (May-17-08)
- "Chantix Put Me in a Psychiatric Hospital" By Jane Mundy (May-17-08)
- Icy Hot Heat Patches: "Excruciating Pain" By Heidi Turner (May-17-08)
- Not a Migraine--but a Blood Clot--from Ortho Evra By Lucy Campbell (May-16-08)
- Tainted Heparin Investigation Continues, Lawsuits Keep Coming… By Gordon Gibb (May-15-08)
- Digitek Recall: Your Pharmacist will Call By Jane Mundy (May-15-08)
- Could This Be the Final Nail in the Coffin for Trasylol? By Gordon Gibb (May-15-08)
- Icy Hot Heat Patches: Second-Degree Burn By Heidi Turner (May-14-08)
- Avandia Heart Attack By Lucy Campbell (May-14-08)
- Duragesic Pain Patches: "It was Horrid" By Heidi Turner (May-14-08)
- MRI and MRA Health Risks: Questions Raised By Jane Mundy (May-14-08)
- Chantix Suicide: Sinking Into the Deep Hole By Gordon Gibb (May-12-08)
- Trasylol Tragedy Timeline: The Dates of Destiny By Gordon Gibb (May-11-08)
- Which is the Killer: The Cigarette or the Drug? (May-9-08)
- Duragesic Pain Patch: Warning Signs Ignored By Heidi Turner (May-9-08)
- Public Citizen Wants Ortho-Evra GONE... By Gordon Gibb (May-9-08)
- Trasylol: "I've Gone Through Hell" By Heidi Turner (May-9-08)
- "A Nurse Warned Me Not to Take Chantix" By Jane Mundy (May-8-08)
- Botox Migration a Recipe for Disaster By Gordon Gibb (May-8-08)
- Ortho Evra: Convenience at a Terrible Cost By Gordon Gibb (May-8-08)
- Bayer Faces New Battle of Drug Trasylol (May-7-08)
- Botox Injections Froze Model's Face--and Worse By Jane Mundy (May-7-08)
- Ortho Evra Patch: Silence Is Not the Answer By Lucy Campbell (May-7-08)
- Dead Within 12 Weeks of Starting Heparin By Lucy Campbell (May-7-08)
- PPH: "I Feel so Useless" By Jane Mundy (May-6-08)
- Heparin Victim Widow: "We Have a False Sense of Security." (May-5-08)
- Icy Hot Patch: A Hot Performer for Chattem By Gordon Gibb (May-5-08)
- MRI Health Risk: "Doctors Said the Dye caused Kidney Failure" By Jane Mundy (May-4-08)
- Doctor Settles Hepatitis Case (May-4-08)
- Trasylol: "This Shouldn't Have Happened" By Heidi Turner (May-3-08)
- Duragesic Pain Patch: "I Just Want Answers" By Heidi Turner (May-3-08)