Legal News Articles - Drugs/Medical
June 3, 2008. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Digitek Recall: How Long Were Patients Overdosed? ]
Spokane, WA Joanne C. wants to determine how long she had been taken double doses of Digitek before it was recalled. Neither her pharmacist nor doctor has the answer. "I realize we all have to die some day but let's not hurry it up [due to digitalis toxicity]," says Joanne.
June 3, 2008. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ PPH: "I'd take Gastric Bypass Surgery over Fen-Phen" ]
Lexington, KY: In the early 90s, Lynn S. turned to Fen-Phen to lose weight. Now she is turning to a lawsuit against the diet drug that caused her mitral valve regurgitation, heart problems and potentially PAH—formerly known as primary pulmonary hypertension, or PPH.
June 2, 2008. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Paxil and Other Drugs to Get Labeling Change ]
Rockville, MD The FDA has determined that current labeling for drugs like Paxil is too confusing. The organization has now proposed a change to drug labeling to make it more clear which drugs are safe for women who are pregnant and/or breastfeeding. Although the move will likely help many women in the future, it comes too late for those who took Paxil and other SSRIs while pregnant.
June 1, 2008. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ MRI Health Risks Have Little To Do With Magnetic Personality ]
Washington, DC As important as the MRI is in detecting disease and abnormalities deep within the human body, the process carries certain risks that have only recently come to light. Risks from imaging agents such as gadolinium, and recent concern over the long-term impact of the magnetic fields associated with Magnetic Resonance Imaging, can pose serious health risks for some patients, sometimes resulting in death.
May 31, 2008. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Overdosing on Digitek ]
Kissimmee, FA Paul's wife had a heart attack in '95 but made a remarkable recovery and started taking Digitek. But she experienced other problems: coincidentally, she suffered the same complications listed on Digitek's website, namely nausea, fatigue and irregular heartbeats. And death.
May 30, 2008. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ What Led to the Black Box Warning on Asthma Drugs? ]
Washington, DC: Two years ago the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) stated that the asthma drugs Advair Diskus, Advair HFA, Foradil Aerolizer, Serevent Diskus must carry black box warnings—the most severe warning the FDA can issue. Most recently Symbicourt, Performist, (formoterol fumarate), and Brovana inhalation solution were added to list of asthma medications to carry this warning.
May 30, 2008. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Digitek Manufacturer Cited for Quality Controls Two Years Ago ]
Little Falls, NJ: The recent recall affecting all lots of Digitek digoxin (digitalis) due to a manufacturing defect raises a whack of questions as to just how a double-thickness tablet can get by the quality-control department. Pills that are twice as thick as normal, and therefore potentially carrying twice the dosage of digoxin, pose a serious health risk for patients that could lead to death.
May 29, 2008. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ AMO Complete MoisturePlus Recall: Many Missed the Memo… ]
Santa Ana, CA: The problem with a product recall is that it's only as effective as the communication between the manufacturer, and the end user. In the case of James Millard Wilson, he didn't get the message. The young art student from Baltimore had been having trouble with his eyes, and had no idea that his AMO Complete MoisturePlus Contact Lens solution had been recalled.
May 29, 2008. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Trasylol Recall Too Late For Many Patients ]
Rockville, MD Earlier this month, Bayer announced that it was recalling remaining Trasylol stocks from the US market. The move comes after repeated studies found that patients given Trasylol during open heart surgery had a higher risk of kidney failure, strokes and death than patients given a different drug.
May 29, 2008. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Six Years of Avandia and Two Heart Attacks Later ]
Broken Arrow, OK: March 1st, 2007 was a day Larry remembers well because he walked into hospital while having a heart attack--his second within 24 hours. He didn't know he was having a heart attack, and it was the last thing he expected, because he had been taking Avandia for six years, and as far as he knew did not have heart disease.
- Icy Hot Heat Therapy Patches: "Pretty Scary" By Heidi Turner (May-29-08)
- Chantix: The Kids Also Suffer By Jane Mundy (May-29-08)
- Botox: Injecting Pain into Patients By Heidi Turner (May-28-08)
- ReNu Lens Solution: Two Years After Recall, Lawsuits Keep Coming By Gordon Gibb (May-28-08)
- Unraveling the Mystery of Heparin-Related Death By Lucy Campbell (May-28-08)
- MRI Patient Fears he Has NSF/NFD By Jane Mundy (May-28-08)
- Asthma Drugs: No Cause for Asthma Sufferers to Breathe Easy… By Gordon Gibb (May-27-08)
- Asbestos Mesothelioma: Wake Up Canada! By Jane Mundy (May-26-08)
- Chantix Suicide: Quit-Smoking Aid, or Smoking Gun? By Gordon Gibb (May-25-08)
- It's Game Over for Trasylol, but Bayer Refuses to Fold By Gordon Gibb (May-25-08)
- Botox Adverse Effects Makes Looking Younger, Less Attractive By Gordon Gibb (May-24-08)
- Chantix News Means Trouble for Pfizer By Jane Mundy (May-23-08)
- Remaining Trasylol Stocks Recalled By Heidi Turner (May-23-08)
- PPH & Fen-Phen Lawsuit: "Can I Still Make a Claim?" By Jane Mundy (May-22-08)
- Chantix Grounded by Federal Aviation Administration By Gordon Gibb (May-22-08)
- Heparin-related Heart Problems and Shortness of Breath By Lucy Campbell (May-22-08)
- The Many Pitfalls of the Duragesic Fentanyl Patch By Gordon Gibb (May-20-08)
- Digitek Defect: Twice the Size, Twice the Dose By Gordon Gibb (May-20-08)
- Duragesic Pain Patch: Hundreds of Lawsuits Pending By Heidi Turner (May-18-08)
- Fen-phen PPH: "I Was Scared to Death" By Gordon Gibb (May-17-08)
- "Chantix Put Me in a Psychiatric Hospital" By Jane Mundy (May-17-08)
- Icy Hot Heat Patches: "Excruciating Pain" By Heidi Turner (May-17-08)
- Not a Migraine--but a Blood Clot--from Ortho Evra By Lucy Campbell (May-16-08)
- Tainted Heparin Investigation Continues, Lawsuits Keep Coming… By Gordon Gibb (May-15-08)
- Digitek Recall: Your Pharmacist will Call By Jane Mundy (May-15-08)
- Could This Be the Final Nail in the Coffin for Trasylol? By Gordon Gibb (May-15-08)
- Icy Hot Heat Patches: Second-Degree Burn By Heidi Turner (May-14-08)
- Avandia Heart Attack By Lucy Campbell (May-14-08)
- Duragesic Pain Patches: "It was Horrid" By Heidi Turner (May-14-08)
- MRI and MRA Health Risks: Questions Raised By Jane Mundy (May-14-08)
- Chantix Suicide: Sinking Into the Deep Hole By Gordon Gibb (May-12-08)
- Trasylol Tragedy Timeline: The Dates of Destiny By Gordon Gibb (May-11-08)
- Which is the Killer: The Cigarette or the Drug? By Ginger Gillenwater (May-9-08)
- Duragesic Pain Patch: Warning Signs Ignored By Heidi Turner (May-9-08)
- Public Citizen Wants Ortho-Evra GONE... By Gordon Gibb (May-9-08)
- Trasylol: "I've Gone Through Hell" By Heidi Turner (May-9-08)
- "A Nurse Warned Me Not to Take Chantix" By Jane Mundy (May-8-08)
- Botox Migration a Recipe for Disaster By Gordon Gibb (May-8-08)
- Ortho Evra: Convenience at a Terrible Cost By Gordon Gibb (May-8-08)
- Bayer Faces New Battle of Drug Trasylol By Ginger Gillenwater (May-7-08)