Legal News Articles - Drugs/Medical
June 5, 2008. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Avandia: Sales of Diabetic Drug Gutted in Wake of Concern ]
San Francisco, CA When the American Diabetes Association convenes here June 6th for their annual meeting, there is little doubt that amongst the topics up for discussion will be the fall of Avandia, a drug which has been linked to serious heart and liver problems, and weight gain—and what might be in the pipeline to replace it.
June 5, 2008. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Asthma Drug Affects My Son's Behavior ]
White Oak, SC: Nikki's eight year old son has asthma—he was diagnosed with the respiratory illness when he was just five years old. Since that time he's been on albuterol, but it seems to be making things worse, not better.
June 5, 2008. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Icy Hot: Hot Enough to Take Your Skin Right Off ]
Chattanooga, TN People have bad dreams of running away from a fire, but not being able to run. Your legs are heavy and slow. You strain desperately to move but can't, while the flames get closer. Some have likened the Icy Hot pain patches to such a scenario. Not only have they been found to foster serious burns, but also the adhesive can make them difficult to remove.
June 4, 2008. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Botox Patient Not Warned of Risks ]
San Francisco, CA Shelly has been diagnosed with Cervical Dystonia—a disorder of the neck muscles—and treatment comprises a series of Botox injections. But she recently heard of its dangerous side effects and worries that the risk might outweigh the temporary relief that Botox provides her.
June 4, 2008. By Jaime Jofre.
Read [ FDA Investigating Remicade, Enbrel, Humira and Cimzia Link to Cancers ]
Rockville, MD The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on Wednesday issued an Early Communication release stating that it is investigating a possible association between tumor necrosis factor (TNF) blockers and the development of cancers in children and young adults. The TNF blockers were prescribed to treat Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis (JIA), Crohn's disease or other diseases.
June 3, 2008. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Digitek Recall: How Long Were Patients Overdosed? ]
Spokane, WA Joanne C. wants to determine how long she had been taken double doses of Digitek before it was recalled. Neither her pharmacist nor doctor has the answer. "I realize we all have to die some day but let's not hurry it up [due to digitalis toxicity]," says Joanne.
June 3, 2008. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ PPH: "I'd take Gastric Bypass Surgery over Fen-Phen" ]
Lexington, KY: In the early 90s, Lynn S. turned to Fen-Phen to lose weight. Now she is turning to a lawsuit against the diet drug that caused her mitral valve regurgitation, heart problems and potentially PAH—formerly known as primary pulmonary hypertension, or PPH.
June 2, 2008. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Paxil and Other Drugs to Get Labeling Change ]
Rockville, MD The FDA has determined that current labeling for drugs like Paxil is too confusing. The organization has now proposed a change to drug labeling to make it more clear which drugs are safe for women who are pregnant and/or breastfeeding. Although the move will likely help many women in the future, it comes too late for those who took Paxil and other SSRIs while pregnant.
June 1, 2008. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ MRI Health Risks Have Little To Do With Magnetic Personality ]
Washington, DC As important as the MRI is in detecting disease and abnormalities deep within the human body, the process carries certain risks that have only recently come to light. Risks from imaging agents such as gadolinium, and recent concern over the long-term impact of the magnetic fields associated with Magnetic Resonance Imaging, can pose serious health risks for some patients, sometimes resulting in death.
May 31, 2008. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Overdosing on Digitek ]
Kissimmee, FA Paul's wife had a heart attack in '95 but made a remarkable recovery and started taking Digitek. But she experienced other problems: coincidentally, she suffered the same complications listed on Digitek's website, namely nausea, fatigue and irregular heartbeats. And death.
- What Led to the Black Box Warning on Asthma Drugs? By Lucy Campbell (May-30-08)
- Digitek Manufacturer Cited for Quality Controls Two Years Ago By Gordon Gibb (May-30-08)
- AMO Complete MoisturePlus Recall: Many Missed the Memo… By Gordon Gibb (May-29-08)
- Trasylol Recall Too Late For Many Patients By Heidi Turner (May-29-08)
- Six Years of Avandia and Two Heart Attacks Later By Lucy Campbell (May-29-08)
- Icy Hot Heat Therapy Patches: "Pretty Scary" By Heidi Turner (May-29-08)
- Chantix: The Kids Also Suffer By Jane Mundy (May-29-08)
- Botox: Injecting Pain into Patients By Heidi Turner (May-28-08)
- ReNu Lens Solution: Two Years After Recall, Lawsuits Keep Coming By Gordon Gibb (May-28-08)
- Unraveling the Mystery of Heparin-Related Death By Lucy Campbell (May-28-08)
- MRI Patient Fears he Has NSF/NFD By Jane Mundy (May-28-08)
- Asthma Drugs: No Cause for Asthma Sufferers to Breathe Easy… By Gordon Gibb (May-27-08)
- Asbestos Mesothelioma: Wake Up Canada! By Jane Mundy (May-26-08)
- Chantix Suicide: Quit-Smoking Aid, or Smoking Gun? By Gordon Gibb (May-25-08)
- It's Game Over for Trasylol, but Bayer Refuses to Fold By Gordon Gibb (May-25-08)
- Botox Adverse Effects Makes Looking Younger, Less Attractive By Gordon Gibb (May-24-08)
- Chantix News Means Trouble for Pfizer By Jane Mundy (May-23-08)
- Remaining Trasylol Stocks Recalled By Heidi Turner (May-23-08)
- PPH & Fen-Phen Lawsuit: "Can I Still Make a Claim?" By Jane Mundy (May-22-08)
- Chantix Grounded by Federal Aviation Administration By Gordon Gibb (May-22-08)
- Heparin-related Heart Problems and Shortness of Breath By Lucy Campbell (May-22-08)
- The Many Pitfalls of the Duragesic Fentanyl Patch By Gordon Gibb (May-20-08)
- Digitek Defect: Twice the Size, Twice the Dose By Gordon Gibb (May-20-08)
- Duragesic Pain Patch: Hundreds of Lawsuits Pending By Heidi Turner (May-18-08)
- Fen-phen PPH: "I Was Scared to Death" By Gordon Gibb (May-17-08)
- "Chantix Put Me in a Psychiatric Hospital" By Jane Mundy (May-17-08)
- Icy Hot Heat Patches: "Excruciating Pain" By Heidi Turner (May-17-08)
- Not a Migraine--but a Blood Clot--from Ortho Evra By Lucy Campbell (May-16-08)
- Tainted Heparin Investigation Continues, Lawsuits Keep Coming… By Gordon Gibb (May-15-08)
- Digitek Recall: Your Pharmacist will Call By Jane Mundy (May-15-08)
- Could This Be the Final Nail in the Coffin for Trasylol? By Gordon Gibb (May-15-08)
- Icy Hot Heat Patches: Second-Degree Burn By Heidi Turner (May-14-08)
- Avandia Heart Attack By Lucy Campbell (May-14-08)
- Duragesic Pain Patches: "It was Horrid" By Heidi Turner (May-14-08)
- MRI and MRA Health Risks: Questions Raised By Jane Mundy (May-14-08)
- Chantix Suicide: Sinking Into the Deep Hole By Gordon Gibb (May-12-08)
- Trasylol Tragedy Timeline: The Dates of Destiny By Gordon Gibb (May-11-08)
- Which is the Killer: The Cigarette or the Drug? By Ginger Gillenwater (May-9-08)
- Duragesic Pain Patch: Warning Signs Ignored By Heidi Turner (May-9-08)
- Public Citizen Wants Ortho-Evra GONE... By Gordon Gibb (May-9-08)