Legal News Articles - Media/Telecom
October 4, 2017. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Citibank Borrowers Beware ]
Washington, DC Here’s a scary question: If a Citibank borrower:
- signs a loan agreement that includes an arbitration clause;
- falls behind on payments; and
- is harassed with debt collection robocalls;
September 30, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Atlanta, GA: A nuisance call lawsuit that alleges violations under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) against defendant Comenity Bank has taken an interesting detour over revocation of consent.Read [ Defendant Attempts to Quash TCPA Lawsuit through Unique Interpretation of Law ]
September 25, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
San Jose, CA: In the wake of an Equifax data breach that occurred in July but reported this September, attorneys at Oakland, California- based Scott Cole & Associates have filed a lawsuit seeking class action status against the credit reporting agency. This digital disaster could potentially affect up to 175 million Americans, and millions of people worldwide, including the U.K. and Canada.Read [ Attorney Files Equifax Class Action Lawsuit ]
September 2, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Chicago, IL: Imagine getting over 100 unwanted calls to your cell phone. Well, Mark Ankcorn doesn’t have to imagine it. He alleges to have actually experienced such TCPA violations from Kohl’s department Store between July, and October 2014. After receiving upwards of 105 nuisance calls within a four-month period, Ankcorn filed a lawsuit alleging Kohl’s TCPA violations in 2015. The plaintiff has recently petitioned the courts for Class Action certification.Read [ Plaintiff Goes After Kohl’s With Proposed Class Action TCPA Lawsuit ]
August 13, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Tampa, FL: The telephone has, for generations, served as a communications conduit. And while technology has evolved to include mobile, music, video (live and passive) and data, the role of ‘the phone’ has remained largely unchanged, as a modicum of contact. Various forms of abuse, however resulted in the establishment of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TPCA), a basket of regulations introduced in 1991 designed to protect against unwanted intrusion. The automated ‘robocall’ from various sectors, including retail and the banking industry, is one of the intrusions the TPCA was designed to mitigate and provides a basis for consumers to retaliate with, for example, a Citibank nuisance call lawsuit when those tenets are ignored.Read [ Florida Plaintiff Resolves Citibank Nuisance Call Lawsuit ]
July 12, 2017. By Deb Hipp.
San Diego, CA: The parties in a class action against Citibank for alleged Telephone Consumer Protection Act violations have reached a settlement in the lawsuit.Read [ Settlement Reached in Citibank Robocall Proposed Class Action ]
July 7, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Chicago, IL: A bank that isn’t really a bank in the traditional sense has been hit yet again with Comenity Bank TCPA violations by plaintiffs who assert the bank’s use of robocalling and other, allegedly unlawful methods of contact amounted to undue harassment and flies in the face of regulations governed by the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA).Read [ For Comenity Bank, TCPA Violation Lawsuit Keep Coming ]
June 13, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Chicago, IL: The Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) and the Federal Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) were enacted to protect consumers from needless harassment over the phone. Common purveyors of such harassment have historically been telemarketers, or debt collectors that often wind up harassing the wrong people over a debt no longer owed, due to incorrect information and the all-too-common practice of flipping debtor accounts between different collection agencies, with vital information lost in the process. However, an increasing number of TCPA complaints are being directed to the highly-competitive banking industry. To that end a TCPA lawsuit has been filed against Fifth Third Bank alleging Fifth Third Bank TCPA violations.Read [ Illinois Plaintiff Launches TCPA Robocall Lawsuit against Fifth Third Bank ]
June 11, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Orlando, FL: The availability of autodialing technology is not lost on the banking industry, competitive as it is. And while disgruntled plaintiffs line up over Comenity Bank TCPA violations, as an example, Comenity is not the only bank accused of violating the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA).Read [ Plaintiff Files Proposed Class Action Lawsuit over Nuisance Bank Robocalls ]
April 25, 2017. By Attorney Bill Green, Green Law Firm.
North Charleston, SC:You’d have to be under a rock the last week to have missed the story of David Dao, a Chinese-American passenger who was forcibly removed from an overbooked United Airlines flight after resisting his removal. The media has been all over this blatant example of excessive force; and so they should. It’s violent, visceral, and reminds us that everyday people can be pushed around by the systems of “big companies” whether they like it or not.Read [ Why Your Cell Phone Matters: 5 Lessons from the United Airlines PR Disaster ]
- People Angry with Department of Motor Vehicles Violating their Privacy By Jane Mundy (Jan-19-17)
- The DMV and Driver’s Privacy Protection Act: Part Two By Jane Mundy (Dec-29-16)
- Has DMV Violated the Drivers’ Privacy Protection Act and Your Security? By Jane Mundy (Nov-28-16)
- Months-Long Investigation Uncovers Potential Consumer Data Misuse in Florida By Gordon Gibb (Nov-15-16)
- Class Action Robocall Lawsuits in California Target Verizon By Gordon Gibb (Sep-22-16)
- $30 Million Proposed Settlement Reached in Wells Fargo TCPA Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Sep-4-16)
- Feds Considering Exemptions to Illegal RoboCall Rules By Gordon Gibb (Aug-11-16)
- Wells Fargo Bank Settles TCPA Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jul-29-16)
- Uber Accused of Sending Thousands of Unwanted Robo Text Messages By Gordon Gibb (Jul-6-16)
- Robocall Lawsuits Spike, Business Calling for Relaxation of Rules By Gordon Gibb (Jun-29-16)
- Robocalls Continue to Foster Illegal Telemarketer Lawsuits as Rules Further Tighten By Gordon Gibb (Jun-1-16)
- Supreme Court Rules Spam Text Messaging Class Action to Proceed By Lucy Campbell (Jan-20-16)
- Got Phone Spammers? Here's What to Do By Brenda Craig (Nov-11-15)
- Social Network Settles Spam Suit in the Wake of Spokeo’s SCOTUS Appeal By The National Trial Lawyers (Jul-2-15)
- Will New FCC Rules on Robocalling and Messaging Curb the Spam? By Gordon Gibb (Jun-24-15)
- Debt Collector Lawsuit by Feds Shuts Down Bogus Bill Collector By Gordon Gibb (May-18-15)
- Lawsuit Filed Against Twitter Prompts Quick Resolution for Forster Boughman & Lefkowitz Client By LAS Staff Writer (May-14-15)
- Unscrupulous Debt Collectors Generate 88,300 Complaints a Year By The National Trial Lawyers (May-13-15)
- $22.4 Million Verdict Affirmed in “Blast-Fax” Class Action By The National Trial Lawyers (May-8-15)
- Debt Collector Harassment Costs Green Tree Millions By Gordon Gibb (Apr-28-15)
- Debt Collector Harassment Can Take Many Forms By Gordon Gibb (Mar-17-15)
- DriveTime Hit with $8 Million Settlement for Debt Collector Harassment By Gordon Gibb (Feb-21-15)
- Fake Social Media Account by Police Allowed Without Warrant By The National Trial Lawyers (Feb-5-15)
- Tampa Bay Couple Awarded $1 Million in Debt Collector Harassment Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Jan-20-15)
- LawyersandSettlements.com Releases Its Top 10 Legal News Topics For 2014 By LAS Staff Writer (Dec-30-14)
- Debt Collector Owes $33,000 for Harassing Consumer By Heidi Turner (Dec-12-14)
- Morcellator Gets FDA’s Toughest Warning By Heidi Turner (Nov-28-14)
- Collection Agency Liable for Charging Debtor for Calls By The National Trial Lawyers (Nov-18-14)
- “Terms of Endurement”: Debt Collector Harassment By Gordon Gibb (Nov-11-14)
- Online Legal Marketing Announces Launch Of Settlement, Verdict And Judgment Publishing Tool By LAS Staff Writer (Nov-6-14)
- Debt Collector Harassment to See Federal Oversight By Gordon Gibb (Oct-28-14)
- Forced Arbitration: Corporations Opting Out of Justice and Fairness By Gordon Gibb (Oct-17-14)
- Debt Collector Harassment Lawsuit Filed against Kaiser Foundation By Heidi Turner (Sep-15-14)
- Debt Collector Harassment: An Envelope Is a Window of Opportunity By Gordon Gibb (Aug-31-14)
- Online Legal Media Announces The Launch Of Onlinelegalmedia.com By LAS Staff Writer (Aug-27-14)
- CFPB Files Claim against Debt Collection Lawsuit Mill By Heidi Turner (Aug-16-14)
- ACE Cash Express to Pay $10 Million for Debt Collector Harassment By Gordon Gibb (Jul-30-14)
- Lawsuit Filed Over Debt Collector Harassment By Heidi Turner (Jul-11-14)
- Court Decision Could Make It Easier to Sue for Debt Collector Harassment By Gordon Gibb (Jun-26-14)
- Debt Collector Harassment Nightmare Continues for Consumers By Heidi Turner (Jun-10-14)