LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Securities Lawyer Interviews
November 22, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Attorney: Some UBS Puerto Rico Closed-End Funds Riskier Than Marketed ]
Puerto Rico Investors who purchased UBS Puerto Rico closed-end funds may have experienced a dramatic, unexpected drop in the value of their accounts. Christopher Gray, senior attorney at the Law Office of Christopher J. Gray, PC, says some investors may have believed certain UBS Puerto Rico funds were safe investments, when in fact they were allegedly far riskier than investors thought.
November 12, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Securities Lawyer: Securities Fraud Happens Every Day ]
Naples, FL When it comes to securities fraud, many people think a lawsuit is the only way for them to recover lost money. So they are surprised when a lawyer informs them that they must go through the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) to file their complaint. Kristian Kraszewski, managing partner of the securities department at Kyros Law Offices, says FINRA dispute resolution is a good way for investors to deal with their stock fraud or securities fraud complaints.
September 9, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Variable Annuities Attorney: “Variable Annuities Are Not Bought, They’re Sold” ]
Kansas City, MO Some retirees and people nearing retirement who purchased variable annuities for retirement income were very surprised to receive letters informing them that their guaranteed variable annuity payment was not so guaranteed. Diane Nygaard, partner at Kenner Schmitt Nygaard, LLC, says insurance companies have been backing away from promises of lifetime income to people who put their money in variable annuities.
April 12, 2013. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Morgan Keegan Settlement “Not Fair,” Says Attorney ]
Chicago, IL Attorney Howard Prossnitz firmly believes his clients and many of the 12,000 other Morgan Keegan (MK) bond investors that filed a securities fraud class action against the now-defunct investment firm Morgan Keegan are being offered a raw deal.
February 3, 2013. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Overturning ERISA and the Supreme Court Update ]
Washington, DC Last November, Matt Wessler, an attorney at Public Justice, argued an ERISA case before the Supreme Court that will impact every ERISA insurer in the country and almost 200 million Americans covered by the ERISA plan.
January 11, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ REIT Unsuitability Violations: Interview with Attorney Christopher Gray ]
New York, NY When it comes to securities fraud claims, one of the areas of concern is suitability violations--when a broker-dealer or financial advisor recommends investment products that are unsuitable for the client. Christopher Gray, senior attorney at Law Office of Christopher J. Gray, PC, says he is seeing numerous suitability violation claims related to the sale of non-exchange traded real estate investment trusts. Those claims may result in an arbitration being filed on behalf of the investor.
November 24, 2011. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Former William Tatro Clients Allege Unsuitable Investments ]
Rochester, NY When clients make allegations of inappropriate investments, such as the allegations against William Tatro, it can be easy to dismiss the complaints as being made by disgruntled former Bill Tatro and Eagle Steward clients. But behind some allegations are claims of large sums of money being lost in unsuitable investments and finances being devastated as a result.
October 25, 2011. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Attorney: "People's Financial Lives Ruined" by Unsuitable Investments ]
Rochester, NY When clients turn to a financial advisor like William Tatro, or a financial firm such as Eagle Steward or First Allied Securities, they expect their money will be put in investments suitable to their risk tolerance and financial needs. An unsuitable investment is one that goes against the client's risk tolerance and financial needs. For example, a retired person can tolerate a lower degree of risk and may require more access to his money than a younger investor, meaning the retired person's account should have a low degree of risk and easy accessibility.
May 20, 2011. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ US Securities Lawyer Says Canadian Plaintiffs Can Do Better ]
New York, NY New York City super-lawyer Michael Spencer, best known for prevailing in a multi-billion dollar class-action suit against French media conglomerate Vivendi for deceiving investors, says he sees "opportunities" in Canada, and may prove to be a game changer in this country now that he has qualified to admission to the Ontario bar and is ready to robe up in Canada.
May 1, 2011. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Securities Suits Still Going Strong at White Law Group ]
Chicago, IL Two years on and a bit more, attorneys like Daxton White are still filing suit or doing FINRA (Financial Industry Regulatory Authority) mediation and arbitration hearings for clients who were bilked, defrauded, led down the garden path and otherwise separated from their money by unscrupulous and indeed sometimes criminal brokers and investment companies.
- Attorney: Advisors and Brokers Could Be Liable for Alleged Carr Miller Investor Losses By Heidi Turner (Mar-27-11)
- Denise Madigan—Mediator Major By Brenda Craig (Feb-7-11)
- Attorney: Reasonable Investor Would Not Have Expected Dramatic RMK Fund Losses By Heidi Turner (Jan-29-11)
- Attorney: Clients Lost Up to 98 Percent of Their Investment in Lehman Brothers By Heidi Turner (Jan-25-11)
- Victims Lose $40 Million in Alleged Ponzi Scheme By Heidi Turner (Jan-12-11)
- Chasing Demons: "Securities Fraud Is Still Happening" By Brenda Craig (Sep-20-10)
- Get a Class Action Suit Check in the Mail? By Brenda Craig (Aug-3-10)
- Attorney Greg Porter Speaks about BP ERISA By Heidi Turner (Jun-19-10)
- Toyota Shareholders Sue By Brenda Craig (Mar-26-10)
- Open Your Monthly Statements, Says Securities Lawyer By Brenda Craig (Jan-31-10)
- Did Charles Schwab Help a Ponzi Schemer? By Brenda Craig (Jan-7-10)
- Auction Rate Securities "Class Action is Dead" By Heidi Turner (Apr-6-09)
- Mutual Funds Losses Linked to Internet Gambling By Heidi Turner (Feb-5-09)
- The Fleecing of America's Senior Citizens By Brenda Craig (Oct-20-08)
- Stock Market Losses: What You Don't Know Could Hurt You By Heidi Turner (Sep-30-08)
- Auction Rate Securities: Remember Consequential Damages By Heidi Turner (Aug-20-08)
- Auction Rate Securities: "Take Prompt Action" By Heidi Turner (Jun-30-08)
- A Ray of Hope in Auction Rate Securities - An Interview with Diane Nygaard By Julia Browne (May-10-08)
- Diane Nygaard: Battling for Investors in Auction Rate Securities By Julia Browne (Apr-11-08)