Legal News Articles - Business
July 3, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ A Home Warranty Insurance Story with a Twist ]
Naples, FL The need for home warranty insurance is a given, to protect the homeowner from shoddy workmanship on the part of a contractor or subcontractor. To that end, much has been written about home warranty companies and corresponding lawsuits when home warranty companies stoop to bad faith insurance practices to the detriment of a homeowner facing sometimes serious issues through no fault of his or her own.
Chula Vista Settles Class Action Lawsuit for Local Wireless Phone Tax with Refund to Taxpayers and Rate Reduction
May 3, 2013. By LAS Staff Writer.
Read [ Chula Vista Settles Class Action Lawsuit for Local Wireless Phone Tax with Refund to Taxpayers and Rate Reduction ]
April 30, 2013 (Press Release) - A San Diego court has preliminarily approved a class action settlement between wireless phone users and the City of Chula Vista that includes $8 million being made available for funding for rebates and refunds of the city’s telephone user’s tax and payment of litigation expenses and attorneys’ fees. The lawsuit, Carla Villa, et al. v. City of Chula Vista, was brought by two Chula Vista residents on behalf of Chula Vista taxpayers and was filed by the San Diego law offices of CaseyGerry and the Newport Beach offices of Capretz & Associates. The City of Chula Vista disagrees with the lawsuit’s claim that certain aspects of the tax are unlawful, but, because the issues are complex and continued litigation would be expensive, the City believes it is in the best interest of its citizens to settle the case.
April 21, 2013. By Brenda Craig.
New York, NY: Documents in the class-action suit filed against TheLadders.com couldn’t be clearer. “From its inception until September 2011,” the complaint reads, “The Ladders job website scammed its customers into paying for its job board service by misrepresenting itself to be a ‘premium job site.’”Read [ Ladders Job Site a “Scam,” Say Subscribers ]
April 9, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ A Tale of Two Home Warranty Insurance Claims ]
Vancouver, BC Given the pace and variety of construction when it comes to new homes, home warranty insurance is a must. But just as a contractor can often be taken to task for shoddy workmanship, so too can an insurance company when they drop the ball, or at the very least keep the homeowner in limbo.
February 20, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Attorney Investigating Online Car Referrer ]
Los Angeles, CA Attorneys and various state regulators have begun investigations into TrueCar, an online car referral website. Investigations revolve around whether TrueCar violated the law by accepting payment for referring customers to specific car dealers. If TrueCar did receive car dealer kickbacks, it may have violated consumer protection laws in California and other states.
February 18, 2013. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Retailing Giant “Targets” Your Cell Phone ]
Houston, TX If you’ve received an automated text message from Target recently, the retailing giant may owe you some money.
February 17, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ When Home Warranties Go Wrong ]
Omaha, NE When homeowners purchase appliances, they often purchase home warranty insurance to protect themselves. After all, appliances can be expensive to replace - and can cause extensive damage when they break down. Getting a home warranty seems like a good idea, until the home warranty companies fail to honor their agreement and consumers find their insurance claim denied.
February 11, 2013. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ S&P Faces Federal Lawsuit over 2008 Financial Crisis ]
Washington, DC The federal government is seeking $5 billion in penalties from rating agency Standard & Poors (S&P) in a civil suit alleging consumer fraud. The lawsuit alleges that S&P defrauded investors by inflating ratings and understating risks associated with mortgage-backed securities.
Washington Supreme Court Issues Far-Reaching Unanimous Opinion Protecting Consumers’ Right to Sue in Court
February 10, 2013. By LAS Staff Writer.
Read [ Washington Supreme Court Issues Far-Reaching Unanimous Opinion Protecting Consumers’ Right to Sue in Court ]
Spokane, WA - On February 7, 2013, the Washington Supreme Court issued an important decision holding that companies cannot strip away consumers’ ability to sue them through the use of grossly one-sided arbitration clauses.
February 10, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Online Car Referral Bait and Switch: Old Tricks, New Technology ]
Los Angeles, CA If you’re like most computer savvy people today, you’ll go online to research your purchases. Whether you intend to buy online or retail, the draw of the Internet translates to increased awareness and information for the consumer that can be brought to the fore when it comes time to make an educated purchase. As the late advertising guru David Ogilvy famously espoused, “an educated consumer is the best customer.” However, when it comes to car dealer kickbacks, that educated consumer suddenly becomes an unwitting victim.
- How Do Online Car Dealer Kickbacks Work? By Heidi Turner (Jan-29-13)
- California Insurance Company Faces Discrimination Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jan-25-13)
- Kicking the Tires Shouldn’t Result in Car Dealer Kickbacks By Gordon Gibb (Jan-19-13)
- California Car Kickbacks Alleged By Heidi Turner (Jan-9-13)
- Simmons Employees Deliver Pallets of Food to Five Madison County Food Pantries By Abi Kistler (Nov-26-12)
- Pays to be ProActive with Unum By Jane Mundy (Oct-11-12)
- Couple Files Bank Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Aug-30-12)
- Can Unum Make You Apply for Social Security Benefits? Long term Disability Lawyer Answers. By Jane Mundy (Aug-27-12)
- Home Warranty Companies "Horrible" By Heidi Turner (Aug-20-12)
- High Court Sides With Plaintiff in Unum Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Aug-8-12)
- Pfizer to Pay $60 Million To Settle US Charges of Bribing Doctors Abroad By Gordon Gibb (Aug-8-12)
- Concerns Raised Over Some Home Warranty Companies By Heidi Turner (Jul-22-12)
- Eleven Thousand Bucks for Eleven Minutes: Hospital Overcharging By Gordon Gibb (Jul-14-12)
- Attorney Discusses Warranties vs Insurance and American Home Shield By Jane Mundy (Jun-25-12)
- Insurer Takes Outpatient Clinics to Court Over Inflated Billings By Gordon Gibb (Jun-24-12)
- Unum Denies Diabetes Policy Holder By Jane Mundy (Jun-23-12)
- ER Overcharges: Don’t Give Up! By Jane Mundy (Jun-6-12)
- Emergency Room Charges: Some Hospitals Raking In Record Profits By Gordon Gibb (May-27-12)
- Unum Wins in Divorce Court By Jane Mundy (May-22-12)
- Home Warranty Lawsuits Allege Bad Faith by Companies By Heidi Turner (Apr-20-12)
- Emergency Room Charges Turned Her Stomach By Gordon Gibb (Mar-13-12)
- The Money Pit Lives in Englewood Says Home Warranty Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Mar-8-12)
- New York Involved in Home Warranty Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Feb-21-12)
- Bad Faith Insurance Lawsuits Filed against Home Warranty Companies By Heidi Turner (Feb-1-12)
- American Home Shield Lawsuit Alleges Improper Denials By Heidi Turner (Jan-15-12)
- FDA Pulls Breast Cancer Indication for Avastin By Lucy Campbell (Jun-29-11)
- California Launches Investigation Into MetLife Death Payment Practices By Lucy Campbell (Apr-27-11)
- UBS Fined for Lehman Brothers Principal Protected Notes By Heidi Turner (Apr-12-11)
- EPA to Investigate Hydraulic Fracking's Effects on Drinking Water By Lucy Campbell (Apr-6-11)
- UBS Lined Its Pockets While Hanging Investors Out to Dry: Allegation By Gordon Gibb (Apr-5-11)
- Attorney: Advisors and Brokers Could Be Liable for Alleged Carr Miller Investor Losses By Heidi Turner (Mar-27-11)
- Investors Filing Claims against UBS Lehman Brothers Principal Protected Notes By Heidi Turner (Mar-26-11)
- UBS Lehman: How Safe Are Principal Protected Notes? By Heidi Turner (Mar-11-11)
- Carr Miller Ponzi Scheme: What Should Investors Do? By Heidi Turner (Mar-9-11)
- Morgan Keegan Under Fire for Feeding Madoff Funds By Lucy Campbell (Mar-9-11)
- What's in a Name? Not Much, Say UBS Lehman Investors By Gordon Gibb (Mar-4-11)
- Defendant in Alleged Carr Miller Capital Ponzi Scheme Forced to Resign By Gordon Gibb (Mar-3-11)
- Investors Lose Millions in Alleged Carr Miller Ponzi Scheme By Heidi Turner (Feb-24-11)
- UBS Lehman Brothers: What Did They Know—and When? By Gordon Gibb (Feb-15-11)
- UBS Hit Hard in Lehman Brothers Principal Protected Notes Arbitration By Heidi Turner (Feb-8-11)