LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Food/Drinks Legal News Articles & Interviews
November 16, 2016. By Jane Mundy.
Los Angeles, CA: Several food supplements lawsuits claiming deceptive marketing and labelling have been filed against Jessica Alba’s Honest Company, arguing its products are "falsely" labeled as natural and plant-based. But what does “natural” mean? “From a liability standpoint, I don’t see the merit in these false advertising suits when there is no agreed upon definition of natural in the first place,” says attorney Ann Marie Mortimer, partner at Hunton & Williams law firm.Read [ Is Jessica Alba’s Honest Company Dishonest? ]
August 13, 2011. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Listeriosis Fear Prompts Recall of Bacon from Canada ]
Washington, DC The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has recalled 380,000 pounds of precooked bacon products from a Canadian company after testing in July found samples of the bacon tested positive for the bacteria Listeria monocytogenes, which causes listeriosis.
March 26, 2011. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Could Fertility Drugs Foster Mad Cow Disease in Humans? ]
Vancouver, BC For the first time anywhere, a Canadian study has revealed a potential for Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) associated with the use of fertility drugs. A close cousin of CJD is bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), more commonly known as "mad cow disease." Study authors stress that so far the danger is theoretical—and if there were a risk at all, the risk would likely be minor at best. There have been no reported cases.
March 21, 2011. By Lucy Campbell.
Atlantic City, NJ:/> A man from New Jersey has filed a lawsuit against Phusion Projects, the makers of the once popular drink Four Loko alleging he suffered permanent heart damage from consuming the beverage.Read [ Man Sues Four Loko Over Heart Damage ]
November 30, 2010. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Senate Passes Food Safety Bill ]
Washington, DC The Senate passed legislation Tuesday that could put in place a sweeping overhaul of the national food safety system. The bill was prompted by the seemingly endless food recalls of recent memory, including tainted eggs, peanut butter and spinach.
October 19, 2010. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Parents Bring Federal Lawsuit After Tainted Baby Formula Injures Newborn ]
Chicago, IL A class action lawsuit alleging deceptive business practices has been filed against Abbott Laboratories over claims that the pharmaceutical giant sold millions of tubs of infant powder formula that were contaminated with beetles and beetle larvae.
October 15, 2010. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Canada Declares BPA a Toxin ]
Ottawa, ON The Canadian government has officially declared the plastic-making compound known as BPA – or bisphenol-A to be toxic, making it the first country in the world to do so.
September 14, 2010. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Popcorn Lung Lawyer ]
Independence, MO Chicago attorney Ken McClain says he doesn't mind at all if you refer to him as the Popcorn Lung Lawyer. "I don't mind if people say that," says McClain whose has been litigating against makers and suppliers of a butter flavoring product called diacetyl since 2002. "It's been very rewarding. We've done a lot of good and managed to get the diacetyl out of microwave popcorn."
January 17, 2010. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Colorado Man Arrested for False Labeling of Gatorade Bottles ]
Denver, CO A 38-year-old Longmont man was arrested earlier this week on allegations of false labeling stemming from controversial printouts that he placed on Gatorade bottles over the past several weeks.
January 6, 2010. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Calorie Counts Are Not Always Accurate ]
New York, NY A new study published in the January issue of the Journal of the American Dietetic Association suggests that many prepared foods and restaurant meals are labeled with inaccurate calorie counts. The false labeling may entice people to buy foods that are not as healthy as they appear.
- Ammonia-Treated Beef: Does It Prevent Foodborne Illness? By Jane Mundy (Jan-6-10)
- FDA Accuses Nestle of Falsely Advertising Children's Drinks By Jane Mundy (Dec-25-09)
- FDA Given Teeth, Food Recalls on the Rise By Gordon Gibb (Oct-20-09)
- California spinach recalled to avoid food poisoning By Charles Benson (Oct-3-09)
- Canada's Maple Leaf Foods Recalls Wieners for Fear of Listeria Bacterium By Gordon Gibb (Aug-4-09)
- Pistachio Recall Widens Further By Gordon Gibb (Apr-7-09)
- FBI Now Involved in PCA Peanut Butter Salmonella By Gordon Gibb (Feb-10-09)
- Potenial Peanut Butter Salmonella in FEMA Relief Packets, School Lunches By Gordon Gibb (Feb-6-09)
- Attorney Bill Marler on Tainted Peanut Butter Outbreak By Brenda Craig (Feb-5-09)
- Peanut Butter Salmonella Recalls Continue, Obama Promises FDA Reform By Gordon Gibb (Feb-3-09)
- Mushrooms Recalled, Potential Risk for Listeria By Gordon Gibb (Feb-2-09)
- Salmonella Peanut Butter Recall Widens, Death Toll Rises By Gordon Gibb (Jan-29-09)
- Peanut Butter Recall Spreading to More Products By Gordon Gibb (Jan-18-09)
- Salmonella in Peanut Butter Spreading to 43 States By Gordon Gibb (Jan-13-09)
- Adopted Children from China Exposed to Melamine in Milk? By Gordon Gibb (Jan-6-09)
- Trace Melamine Found in Baby Formula in US By Gordon Gibb (Nov-28-08)
- Iceberg Lettuce: Another E.coli Risk By Jane Mundy (Sep-28-08)
- Melamine Contamination Mounts By Jane Mundy (Sep-27-08)
- Maple Leaf Foods Class Action Lawsuit: Interview with Attorney Darren Williams By Jane Mundy (Sep-2-08)
- Food Litigation: Suing Over Spam and Cold Cuts By Gordon Gibb (Jul-30-08)
- Fred Pritzker: Litigating Food Borne Injury Cases By Brenda Craig (Jul-15-08)