LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Talcum Powder Legal News Articles & Interviews
Victory for Women with Ovarian Cancer linked to Johnson & Johnson’s Talc in Missouri Court of Appeals
July 14, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Victory for Women with Ovarian Cancer linked to Johnson & Johnson’s Talc in Missouri Court of Appeals ]
St. Louis, MO A panel of three judges with the Missouri Appeals Court has found Johnson & Johnson “Outrageous because of Evil Motive or Reckless Indifference” and upheld an award of over $2 billion in damages: $500 million in compensatory damages, plus another $1.62 billion in punitive damages. This group of 22 ovarian cancer victims-- all of whom developed ovarian cancer from J&J’s baby powder-- has now received the sixth largest award in U.S. legal history.
November 15, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Asbestos Re-Surfaces in J&J Talcum Powder ]
Washington, DC For the first time ever, Johnson & Johnson recalled its baby powder (specifically single lot #22318RB, comprising 33,000 bottles) after the FDA announced trace levels of asbestos were found—purchased from an online retailer. J&J said it is working with the FDA to determine whether the product tested is authentic, counterfeit, or whether cross-contamination of the sample caused a false positive. And it also shows how the FDA lacks the ability to test consumer talc products.
October 14, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ J&J Wins a Few Asbestos Talc Trials--and Loses More ]
Torrance, CA: To date, Johnson and Johnson has lost 14 talcum powder lawsuits (and is appealing most of those), has won seven cases, and five mesothelioma cases have resulted in hung juries and mistrials. The pharma giant is still facing over 14,000 lawsuits alleging its baby powder contained asbestos talc and caused cancer. Two California juries in October, however, rejected allegations that J&J’s talc contained asbestos and caused mesothelioma.
September 26, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Johnson and Johnson Asbestos Talc Trials Not About Attorneys ]
New JerseyJohnson & Johnson struck another loss in its asbestos talc trial September 11, 2019, and the pharma giant has been ordered to pay $37.3 to four plaintiffs – after the defendants’ attorney called the plaintiffs’ attorney “sinister”, according to Courtroom View Network. That seemed to be enough for the judge, the straw that broke the camel’s back, so to speak.
August 15, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ J&J Presents Article in Asbestos Talc Trial Indicating Weak Link to Peritoneal Mesothelioma ]
New Brunswick, NJ: Johnson & Johnson presented scientific literature during the latest asbestos talc trial on August 9 indicating a “weak link” between peritoneal mesothelioma and asbestos exposure, challenging testimony of pathologist John Maddox and the four plaintiffs who have been diagnosed with this form of cancer. All four were exposed to asbestos in J&J baby powder when they were babies, which allegedly caused their terminal cancer. Babies are even more susceptible to the risks of asbestos exposure because their cells are still developing and because they breathe faster, increasing the amount of asbestos they might breathe in, plaintiff’s attorney Moshe Maimon told the jury.
July 19, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Johnson & Johnson Investors Accuse the Company of Cover-Up ]
New York, NY: A Johnson & Johnson shareholder in February 2018 filed a securities class action claiming that J&J has known its talcum powder contains asbestos fibers and that exposure to J&J’s talc can cause mesothelioma and ovarian cancer. Shareholders are now urging a federal judge to move forward with the lawsuit because they purportedly have evidence showing that the company has known since the 1970s about the dangers of its talc and chose testing methods that couldn’t detect the cancer-causing asbestos fibers.
June 28, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Another Victory for J&J Talc Lawsuit Plaintiff ]
Alameda, CA: Patricia Schmitz, age 61, a mother of two with grandchildren and former school teacher, was diagnosed with mesothelioma last year and her doctors say she has little chance to survive. Her asbestos talc case states that J&J products caused the disease; J&J’s attorneys and expert witness argued her cancer was “spontaneous in nature”. The jury awarded Schmitz $12 million in damages.
May 28, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Asbestos Mesothelioma and Ovarian Cancer Victims Claim they Breathed J&J Talc Dust ]
South Carolina Donna Olson used J&J talc since she was a young girl, breathing in talc particles from the cloud she made. Teresa Leavitt’s mother used J&J’s baby powder on her as a baby in the 1960s and she continued to use it herself as a teen, powdering her face and hair daily for years. Both women testified in court last week and both women won their asbestos-talc lawsuits against Johnson & Johnson.
March 18, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ $29 Million Verdict in Talcum Powder Lawsuit ]
Oakland, CA On March 13, a jury in California Superior Court awarded Terry Leavitt and her husband $29.4 million in the first Johnson & Johnson (J&J) talcum powder lawsuit to go to trial in 2019. Ms. Leavitt linked her mesothelioma diagnosis to her use of asbestos-contaminated J&J baby powder and Shower-to-Shower talcum powder. The verdict includes $22 million for pain and suffering, $5 million in compensatory damages, nearly $1.3 million for her medical costs and $1.2 million for lost wages.
March 5, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Subpoenas Fly! Senate Demands Docs in Tainted Talcum Powder Probe ]
Washington, DC The long-running Johnson & Johnson (J&J) talcum powder lawsuits have now taken a strangely contemporary turn as long-silent witnesses, both in this world and the next, tell tales. The Department of Justice (DOJ) and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) have subpoenaed corporate documents, and Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA) Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) has requested information back to 1966. Could this end the corporate stonewalling that has stymied so many J&J talcum powder lawsuits for so long?
- Imerys Talc Claims Bankruptcy, J&J Ovarian Cancer Claims Continue By Jane Mundy (Feb-18-19)
- Tests and Studies For and Against J&J Talc - Jury Still Out By Jane Mundy (Jan-22-19)
- New Jersey Win for Johnson & Johnson and Los Angeles Mistrials in Asbestos –Mesothelioma Cancer Talc Trials By Jane Mundy (Oct-17-18)
- Talcum Cancer Lawsuit in California Based on Trust By Jane Mundy (Sep-10-18)
- J&J’s Talc Appeal – Lack of Scientific Evidence and Jurisdiction Argument By Jane Mundy (Jul-30-18)
- “The Public Must Pressure Johnson & Johnson to List all their Talcum Powder Ingredients", says Attorney By Jane Mundy (Mar-31-18)
- The Talcum Powder Cases Heading for Massive Trials Next Year By Brenda Craig (Dec-12-17)
- Johnson & Johnson Wins First Mesothelioma Trial By Anne Wallace (Nov-28-17)
- Talcum Powder Judgements for Plaintiffs Reversed, Casting Similar Cases into Doubt By Jane Mundy (Nov-12-17)
- Rumors of Doom for Talcum Powder Lawsuits Greatly Exaggerated By Anne Wallace (Oct-29-17)
- Mesothelioma and Ovarian Cancer Talc Lawsuits Have in Common the Talc Supplier By Jane Mundy (Oct-14-17)
- J&J Seeks Judgment Notwithstanding the Verdict in Talcum Powder Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Sep-30-17)
- Talcum Powder Trials: Sympathy versus Science? By Jane Mundy (Sep-19-17)
- New Information Shown to Jury Produced Record Talc Verdict By Brenda Craig (Aug-30-17)
- Still Too Soon to Take Echeverria to the Bank By Anne Wallace (Aug-26-17)
- Talcum Powder Cancer Trial: Who is More Credible? By Jane Mundy (Aug-20-17)
- Toxic Talc Trial Begins in California By Jane Mundy (Jul-29-17)
- Supreme Court Ruling May Affect Talcum Powder Lawsuit Claims By Deb Hipp (Jul-13-17)
- Talcum Powder Cancer Trial Not Boding Well for Johnson & Johnson By Jane Mundy (Jun-20-17)
- More Johnson & Johnson Talcum Powder Lawsuits Transferred to New Jersey MDL By Deb Hipp (Jun-5-17)
- Talcum Powder Timeframe: From Scientific Studies to Safety Concerns to Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (May-23-17)
- $110 Million Talc Verdict Comes Down in Favor of Plaintiff By Brenda Craig (May-10-17)
- $110M Verdict Against J&J In Talc Cancer Trial By Lucy Campbell (May-5-17)
- Round 5: Talcum Powder Plaintiffs versus Johnson & Johnson By Jane Mundy (May-1-17)
- Missouri Talcum Powder Cancer Lawsuit Could Go to New Jersey MDL By Deb Hipp (Apr-11-17)
- Missouri Jury in Talcum Powder Lawsuit sides with J&J By Jane Mundy (Mar-22-17)
- Missouri Jury Finds in Favor of Johnson & Johnson on Talcum Powder Case By Deb Hipp (Mar-10-17)
- Talcum Powder Ovarian Cancer Whistleblower By Jane Mundy (Feb-21-17)
- New Talcum Powder Cancer Lawsuit Against Johnson & Johnson Filed By Multiple Plaintiffs By Deb Hipp (Feb-9-17)
- J&J Talcum Powder Lawsuit Claims Ovarian Cancer Risk Was Known By Lucy Campbell (Feb-3-17)
- Johnson & Johnson Loses Bid to Delay Talcum Powder Cancer Trials By Heidi Turner (Jan-23-17)
- More Talc Litigation Coming in 2017 By Brenda Craig (Jan-19-17)
- J&J’s Cost of Defending its Talcum Powder is Rising By Jane Mundy (Jan-6-17)
- Wrongful Death Talcum Powder Lawsuit Filed By Heidi Turner (Dec-23-16)
- Talcum Powder Cancer Concerns By Jane Mundy (Dec-3-16)
- More Talcum Powder Lawsuits Filed as Woman Awarded $70 Million By Heidi Turner (Nov-26-16)
- Mothers and Grandmother Passed yet Talcum Powder Remains By Jane Mundy (Nov-7-16)
- Woman Awarded $70 Million in Talcum Powder Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Oct-28-16)
- Many Talcum Powder Lawsuit Plaintiffs May Not Survive to See Their Day in By Gordon Gibb (Oct-5-16)
- J&J Talcum Powder Case Will Be Heard in Court By Lucy Campbell (Sep-26-16)