LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Talcum Powder Legal News Articles & Interviews
March 18, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ $29 Million Verdict in Talcum Powder Lawsuit ]
Oakland, CA On March 13, a jury in California Superior Court awarded Terry Leavitt and her husband $29.4 million in the first Johnson & Johnson (J&J) talcum powder lawsuit to go to trial in 2019. Ms. Leavitt linked her mesothelioma diagnosis to her use of asbestos-contaminated J&J baby powder and Shower-to-Shower talcum powder. The verdict includes $22 million for pain and suffering, $5 million in compensatory damages, nearly $1.3 million for her medical costs and $1.2 million for lost wages.
March 5, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Subpoenas Fly! Senate Demands Docs in Tainted Talcum Powder Probe ]
Washington, DC The long-running Johnson & Johnson (J&J) talcum powder lawsuits have now taken a strangely contemporary turn as long-silent witnesses, both in this world and the next, tell tales. The Department of Justice (DOJ) and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) have subpoenaed corporate documents, and Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA) Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) has requested information back to 1966. Could this end the corporate stonewalling that has stymied so many J&J talcum powder lawsuits for so long?
February 18, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Imerys Talc Claims Bankruptcy, J&J Ovarian Cancer Claims Continue ]
Three Forks, MT: Facing about 14,000 asbestos-talc cases claiming that talc causes ovarian cancer and mesothelioma, Imerys Talc America has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Court records indicate that defending a single case can cost Imerys $4 million and some juries have awarded damages up to $2.75 million against the company. Imerys is the sole supplier of cosmetic talc to Johnson & Johnson.
January 22, 2019. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Tests and Studies For and Against J&J Talc - Jury Still Out ]
Santa Clara, CA: Despite a number of asbestos-talc lawsuits and studies to the contrary, Johnson & Johnson still stands by its talcum powder, asserting it doesn’t cause mesothelioma or ovarian cancer because their product sold to consumers never contained asbestos. J&J says plaintiffs are using attorney-driven science along with faulty studies. On the other hand, plaintiffs have brought scientific evidence showing studies linking talc exposure to cancer, adding that the giant pharma company knew the link for decades. As for the FDA, it’s still on the fence.
New Jersey Win for Johnson & Johnson and Los Angeles Mistrials in Asbestos –Mesothelioma Cancer Talc Trials
October 17, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ New Jersey Win for Johnson & Johnson and Los Angeles Mistrials in Asbestos –Mesothelioma Cancer Talc Trials ]
Los Angeles, CA Within two weeks of each other, two juries in California failed to reach a verdict on the same issues regarding asbestos-talc claims, resulting in two mistrials. Nine votes are needed for a verdict on claims that J&J was guilty of negligence, failure to warn about the risk of asbestos and marketing defective products. On Sept 24, the sixth J&J mesothelioma trial, the Los Angeles jury was deadlocked 8-4 against J&J – one juror short of victory for plaintiff Kirk Von Salzen. Bloomerg reported that Von Salzen, a retired computer salesman, had used J&J’s talcum powder for 30 years when he was diagnosed in 2017. He was seeking over $12m in damages. Despite the result, his attorney was “satisfied” that eight jurors ruled against J&J.
September 10, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Talcum Cancer Lawsuit in California Based on Trust ]
Los Angeles, CA: In the sixth talcum powder-cancer trial that began last month in California, Johnson & Johnson is accused of knowing its talcum powder contained asbestos, a carcinogen known to cause mesothelioma. Plaintiff Carolyn Weirick last year was diagnosed with the rare form of terminal cancer. She claims her illness was caused by using J&J’s baby powder.
July 30, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ J&J’s Talc Appeal – Lack of Scientific Evidence and Jurisdiction Argument ]
St. Louis, MO: Johnson & Johnson plans to appeal the $4.69 billion verdict awarded on July 12 to 22 women and their families who alleged that ovarian cancer cases was caused by asbestos in the company’s baby powder, and that J&J failed to warn that its talcum powder raised the risk of ovarian cancer. Experts say that J&J will argue the verdict based on insufficient scientific evidence and jurisdiction. And this asbestos-talc case is one of about 9,000 that J&J is facing.
“The Public Must Pressure Johnson & Johnson to List all their Talcum Powder Ingredients", says Attorney
March 31, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Austin, TX: By now, most everyone following the talcum powder lawsuits against Johnson & Johnson know the company is accused of failure to warn consumers about ovarian cancer risks. What they likely don’t know is that J&J isn’t required to disclose all the ingredients in their talc recipe. Attorney Mark Mueller urges the public to demand transparency…Read [ “The Public Must Pressure Johnson & Johnson to List all their Talcum Powder Ingredients", says Attorney ]
December 12, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Ridgeland, MO: Next year and the year after, St. Louis, Missouri will be the venue for a massive showdown in the courts between Johnson & Johnson and the hundreds of women who have filed lawsuits alleging there is a direct relationship between their ovarian cancer and the use of talcum powder-based products manufactured and sold by Johnson and Johnson.Read [ The Talcum Powder Cases Heading for Massive Trials Next Year ]
November 28, 2017. By Anne Wallace.
Pasadena, CA: On November 16, 2017, a jury in Los Angeles Superior Court rejected Tina Herford’s argument that Johnson & Johnson’s Baby Powder and Shower to Shower talc products caused her mesothelioma. Her lawyer remains sanguine: “J&J is still selling contaminated baby powder. It is a matter of time before juries begin holding them to account,” he said of her talcum powder lawsuit. “We just missed on the first one.”Read [ Johnson & Johnson Wins First Mesothelioma Trial ]
- Talcum Powder Judgements for Plaintiffs Reversed, Casting Similar Cases into Doubt By Jane Mundy (Nov-12-17)
- Rumors of Doom for Talcum Powder Lawsuits Greatly Exaggerated By Anne Wallace (Oct-29-17)
- Mesothelioma and Ovarian Cancer Talc Lawsuits Have in Common the Talc Supplier By Jane Mundy (Oct-14-17)
- J&J Seeks Judgment Notwithstanding the Verdict in Talcum Powder Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Sep-30-17)
- Talcum Powder Trials: Sympathy versus Science? By Jane Mundy (Sep-19-17)
- New Information Shown to Jury Produced Record Talc Verdict By Brenda Craig (Aug-30-17)
- Still Too Soon to Take Echeverria to the Bank By Anne Wallace (Aug-26-17)
- Talcum Powder Cancer Trial: Who is More Credible? By Jane Mundy (Aug-20-17)
- Toxic Talc Trial Begins in California By Jane Mundy (Jul-29-17)
- Supreme Court Ruling May Affect Talcum Powder Lawsuit Claims By Deb Hipp (Jul-13-17)
- Talcum Powder Cancer Trial Not Boding Well for Johnson & Johnson By Jane Mundy (Jun-20-17)
- More Johnson & Johnson Talcum Powder Lawsuits Transferred to New Jersey MDL By Deb Hipp (Jun-5-17)
- Talcum Powder Timeframe: From Scientific Studies to Safety Concerns to Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (May-23-17)
- $110 Million Talc Verdict Comes Down in Favor of Plaintiff By Brenda Craig (May-10-17)
- $110M Verdict Against J&J In Talc Cancer Trial By Lucy Campbell (May-5-17)
- Round 5: Talcum Powder Plaintiffs versus Johnson & Johnson By Jane Mundy (May-1-17)
- Missouri Talcum Powder Cancer Lawsuit Could Go to New Jersey MDL By Deb Hipp (Apr-11-17)
- Missouri Jury in Talcum Powder Lawsuit sides with J&J By Jane Mundy (Mar-22-17)
- Missouri Jury Finds in Favor of Johnson & Johnson on Talcum Powder Case By Deb Hipp (Mar-10-17)
- Talcum Powder Ovarian Cancer Whistleblower By Jane Mundy (Feb-21-17)
- New Talcum Powder Cancer Lawsuit Against Johnson & Johnson Filed By Multiple Plaintiffs By Deb Hipp (Feb-9-17)
- J&J Talcum Powder Lawsuit Claims Ovarian Cancer Risk Was Known By Lucy Campbell (Feb-3-17)
- Johnson & Johnson Loses Bid to Delay Talcum Powder Cancer Trials By Heidi Turner (Jan-23-17)
- More Talc Litigation Coming in 2017 By Brenda Craig (Jan-19-17)
- J&J’s Cost of Defending its Talcum Powder is Rising By Jane Mundy (Jan-6-17)
- Wrongful Death Talcum Powder Lawsuit Filed By Heidi Turner (Dec-23-16)
- Talcum Powder Cancer Concerns By Jane Mundy (Dec-3-16)
- More Talcum Powder Lawsuits Filed as Woman Awarded $70 Million By Heidi Turner (Nov-26-16)
- Mothers and Grandmother Passed yet Talcum Powder Remains By Jane Mundy (Nov-7-16)
- Woman Awarded $70 Million in Talcum Powder Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Oct-28-16)
- Many Talcum Powder Lawsuit Plaintiffs May Not Survive to See Their Day in By Gordon Gibb (Oct-5-16)
- J&J Talcum Powder Case Will Be Heard in Court By Lucy Campbell (Sep-26-16)
- Talc Expert Witnesses Struck from Witness List By Brenda Craig (Sep-19-16)
- Troubling Allegations in Latest Talcum Powder Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Sep-18-16)
- Two Talcum Powder Lawsuits Dismissed By Heidi Turner (Sep-10-16)
- Talcum Powder Remains Under a Cloud of Scrutiny By Gordon Gibb (Aug-23-16)
- Talcum Powder Lawsuits Increase By Heidi Turner (Aug-8-16)
- Body Powder Lawsuits Proposed for Multidistrict Consolidation in Illinois By Gordon Gibb (Jul-23-16)
- Talcum Powder Users Blame Product for Ovarian Cancer By Heidi Turner (Jul-12-16)
- Body Powder and Cancer: When an Old Friend Turns on You… By Gordon Gibb (Jun-20-16)