Legal News Articles - Drugs/Medical
January 13, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Toronto, ON: Imagine the panic one might feel when told the defibrillator relied upon to help keep you alive, could fail at any time and with little warning. In reality, that circumstance is one Canadian lawsuit plaintiff Shirley Houle didn’t have to imagine. Amongst the St. Jude ICD and CRT-D device lawsuits, is a Canadian class action launched this past May.Read [ Canadian Class Action Launched Against Defective St. Jude Cardiac Defibrillators ]
January 12, 2018. By Brenda Craig.
Philadelphia, PA: A ruling by three appeal court judges in Pennsylvania has turned the tables on Johnson & Johnson (J&J) and Janssen saying that some 5,500 Risperdal plaintiffs with cases consolidated in a state mass tort litigation have the right to pursue punitive damages.Read [ Game Changer Ruling for Risperdal Plaintiffs in Pennsylvania ]
January 10, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
San Jose, CA Employers can change the terms of their long-term disability plans whenever they want. Those changes often affect what employees must show to make a disability claim, and they rarely make it easy to collect. Plans usually apply changed provisions even to employees who are already receiving benefits. They often lose those payments. But when a claimant brings a lawsuit, the US District Court for the Northern District of California recently held that rule-of-thumb is different. The plan provisions in effect when the disability accrued should govern.Read [ Denied Disability Claimant Wins when Administrator Blows Deadline ]
January 9, 2018. By Lucy Campbell.
Chicago, IL: Just days before the third Androgel lawsuit was set to go to court, the multi-million dollar verdict-winning lawyers representing the plaintiffs in the testosterone multidistrict litigation (MDL) swapped out their key lawyers.Read [ Androgel Bellwether Case Gets New Legal Team ]
January 7, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
New Orleans, LA:With three federal bellwether cases having gone to the defendant and a fourth in state court favoring the plaintiff, the judge heading up the 18,500 consolidated cases in federal court has signaled he is looking for guidance from the various parties involved, with oral arguments on the docket for the end of the month following a status report. The Xarelto Lawsuit MDL is under the guidance and management of US District Judge Eldon Fallon in US District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana.Read [ Xarelto Bellwether Score is 3-1 for the Defendants: MDL to Map out Strategy ]
January 4, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Jefferson City, MO:A St. Louis Circuit Judge in 2016 ruled that an Essure lawsuit filed by 92 women against Bayer could proceed in Missouri, but now that may not be the case. All the plaintiffs claimed they suffered injuries after having the permanent birth control device implanted, and they contended that Bayer is subject to jurisdiction in this state because it does business, generates revenue and conducts marketing for Essure in Missouri.Read [ Court Rules in Favor of Essure Contraceptive Device Maker ]
January 1, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Cleveland, OH:Across the U.S., city and county newspapers looking back on 2017 say the top news story was the opioid crisis. And opioid litigation already looks like it will dominate legal news in 2018.Read [ Opioid Epidemic Biggest News Story in 2017, Opioid Litigation May be Biggest Legal News in 2018 ]
December 31, 2017. By Anne Wallace.
San Francisco, CA: Once the procedural wrangling is over, the argument that patients were hurt because drug manufacturers, AstraZeneca and Bristol-Meyers Squibb, failed to warn them of the dangers of Onglyza side effects will be at the heart of the Onglyza lawsuits.Read [ ‘Failure to Warn’ at Heart of Onglyza Lawsuits ]
December 30, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Toronto, ON. Nickey followed her doctor’s orders, and the Mirena manufacturer’s orders: five years after the IUD was implanted, she made an appointment to have it removed. But it wasn’t that easy. Next month will be the fourth, and she hopes final, attempt to have all of the birth control device removed from her uterus.Read [ “I want this Mirena IUD out, over and done with.” ]
December 29, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Tampa, FL: The pain started right after Sandra had a Smith & Nephew knee replacement. “It never functioned properly and I never did get back a full range of motion like I was told,” says Sandra. “I had this metal-on-metal knee implant because my knee was bone-on-bone. This knee implant was supposed to make me better, not worse.”Read [ Knee Replacement Recipient is “Done with Surgeries” ]
- $26 Million Georgia Medical Malpractice Award One of the Largest in the State By Gordon Gibb (Dec-26-17)
- Asbestos Mesothelioma Verdict for the Plaintiff worth $22.17 Million By Gordon Gibb (Dec-25-17)
- Alaskan Health Insurer Sues Abbott / St. Jude over Defective ICD Batteries By Gordon Gibb (Dec-24-17)
- Invokana Amputation Lawsuits Cite Consumer Advertising By Anne Wallace (Dec-22-17)
- $27.8 Million Xarelto Plaintiff Verdict Could be Tossed Out By Gordon Gibb (Dec-20-17)
- Some Heart Patients with St. Jude Battery are Ticked Off By Jane Mundy (Dec-19-17)
- Two Arguments to Watch in Physiomesh Bellwether Trials By Anne Wallace (Dec-18-17)
- Victory for Risperdal Plaintiffs By Jane Mundy (Dec-18-17)
- Cook Celect Filters Approved Through FDA Shortcut Protocol By Gordon Gibb (Dec-16-17)
- Not Too Late for Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Dec-14-17)
- The Talcum Powder Cases Heading for Massive Trials Next Year By Brenda Craig (Dec-12-17)
- Monsanto v. Scientists over Glyphosate as a Probable Carcinogen By Gordon Gibb (Dec-11-17)
- Healthcare Whistle Blower Awarded $351,000 By Brenda Craig (Dec-8-17)
- LTD Denial: Understanding "Own Occupation" vs "Any Occupation" By Gordon Gibb (Dec-6-17)
- “Physicians tell us they are working on how best to remove Essure,” says member of Essure Support Group By Jane Mundy (Dec-5-17)
- $28M Xarelto Verdict Against J&J and Bayer By Lucy Campbell (Dec-5-17)
- Are PPIs Especially Dangerous for Women? By Anne Wallace (Dec-1-17)
- Asbestos Mesothelioma Victim Was a Sitting Judge in Texas By Gordon Gibb (Nov-29-17)
- Johnson & Johnson Wins First Mesothelioma Trial By Anne Wallace (Nov-28-17)
- Untold Story of Opioid Epidemic: Attorney Explains Kickbacks and Billing Fraud By Anne Wallace (Nov-27-17)
- Risperdal Defense Verdict Overturned Due to “Erroneous Evidentiary Rulings” By Gordon Gibb (Nov-27-17)
- Stryker Defective Hip Implant Lawsuit Plaintiff Survey Deemed ‘Intrusive’ By Gordon Gibb (Nov-26-17)
- The Odds Are Stacking Up Against Burn Pit Victims By Gordon Gibb (Nov-26-17)
- More Stockert 3T Heater-Cooler Lawsuits after Slow-Developing Infections By Jane Mundy (Nov-26-17)
- Study Suggests IVC Filter Use is on the Decline, But Problems Remain By Gordon Gibb (Nov-25-17)
- Consumer Advocate Blames both Manufacturer and FDA for Dragging their Heels By Gordon Gibb (Nov-23-17)
- Monsanto Still Fighting California’s Carcinogen Listing for Glyphosate in Roundup By Gordon Gibb (Nov-21-17)
- Men Allege Propecia Sexual Dysfunction, but what About Women and Propecia Side Effects? By Gordon Gibb (Nov-21-17)
- DePuy Attune Knee Replacement Can Result in Physical, Emotional and Financial Pain By Jane Mundy (Nov-21-17)
- Invokana Lawsuits Consolidated into MDL in New Jersey By Anne Wallace (Nov-20-17)
- Actemra Linked to Heart Attacks and Deaths, But Label Remains Unchanged By Gordon Gibb (Nov-20-17)
- Respected Consumer Advocate Public Citizen wants Benicar Banned By Gordon Gibb (Nov-18-17)
- Is it Getting Just a Bit Harder to Bring an Eliquis Lawsuit? By Gordon Gibb (Nov-18-17)
- Transvaginal Mesh Victim calls Implant the “Alien Thing” By Jane Mundy (Nov-18-17)
- Trial for First Philadelphia Mass Tort Xarelto Lawsuit Finally Underway By Gordon Gibb (Nov-17-17)
- Georgia Widow Sues Hospital for Bedsores By Brenda Craig (Nov-17-17)
- Medtronic SynchroMed Plaintiff Loses Case, But Will He Appeal? By Gordon Gibb (Nov-17-17)
- $247M Verdict for Plaintiffs In DePuy Pinnacle Hip Replacement Trial By Lucy Campbell (Nov-16-17)
- Ethicon Physiomesh Lawsuit Alleges Defective Product By Gordon Gibb (Nov-16-17)
- New Risperdal Trial Ordered By Lucy Campbell (Nov-15-17)