Request Legal Help Now - Free

LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION

Bayer Essure Settlement a Victory for Thousands of Essure Victims and E-Sisters

. By

Bayer’s $1.6 billion settlement is a victory to thousands of women who filed Essure lawsuits against the pharma manufacturer, and to almost 44,000 members of Facebook Essure campaigns

Santa Clara, CAOn the ”Essure Problems” Facebook Page, which was started in 2011, Angie Firmalino advises about 44,000 women, called E-sisters, not to discuss their settlement as it comes with a confidentiality agreement that includes “restrictions about discussing your settlement online… discussing your settlement will jeopardize it.” Ms. Firmalino, who started the group, is referring to the $1.6 billion Bayer is paying to thousands of women who said they have suffered severe, long-term health problems from Bayer’s Essure birth control implant.

The pharmaceutical giant on Aug. 20 stated that its settlement offer will end 90 percent of about 39,000 cases now in court or not yet filed, and Bayer is currently negotiating to settle the other 10 percent of claims. But the settlement doesn’t stop women from describing the hell they have been through with this device, including severe pain, complicated surgeries to remove Essure and sometimes hysterectomies—they only way to have the device removed.

Essure leads to Hysterectomy


“I had the implant in 2003 and later that year I had the coils removed via a hysterectomy due to bleeding, pain and infections,” says Cathy F. in an email. “I lost my job as a result of the numerous doctor appointments and time off for surgery. I also developed rheumatoid arthritis shortly after due to the trauma.” 

Shanna S. says she was advised to have a hysterectomy. “After I had the Essure coil implant, I always have constant lower back pain and throughout my pelvic area. And during menstruation I have so much pain that I went to the emergency room twice, with pain so severe I can’t move. Doctors at first thought it was my appendix. They wanted me to have a hysterectomy but I am only 34, so I continually suffer with extreme fatigue and pain.”

Misty N. is also facing a hysterectomy. “For the past several years I’ve had heavy, prolonged bleeding and severe cramps that leave me with no energy. I’m dreading a hysterectomy but doctors have said it is my only option.”

E-Sisters Instrumental in Having Essure Removed from Market


Firmalino and other E-sisters were proactive and instrumental in having Essure removed from the marketplace. They spoke with FDA administration panels and in early 2018 they met with FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb and later members of Congress in an attempt to pass laws that protect people from dangerous medical devices.

“There are studies coming out that say Essure isn’t as safe and effective as the original clinical trials said it was,” Firmalino told Gottlieb and the FDA, and reported by DrugWatch in 2018. “This is the only country where it is still available.” Firmalino and her fellow E-sisters urged Congress and the FDA to suspend the sale of Essure until Bayer proves it is safe. “If it is safe, then let it back on the market,” she said. “But, make it a mandate that women know about the risks and the black box warning.”

On the Essure Problems FB page, Firmalino posted the following:

“We pray that each and every one of you gets some sort of compensation, no matter how unfair it may seem, it is the best deal our lawyers could get for us all. Our dedicated attorneys have fought hard for us for many many years, and did the absolute best they could…We were up against many hurdles and a company…. well, you know.”

The $1.6 billion settlement does not require Bayer to acknowledge any liability or wrongdoing.

READ ABOUT ESSURE SIDE EFFECTS LAWSUITS

Essure Side Effects Legal Help

If you or a loved one have suffered losses in this case, please click the link below and your complaint will be sent to a drugs & medical lawyer who may evaluate your Essure Side Effects claim at no cost or obligation.

ADD YOUR COMMENT ON THIS STORY

Fields marked * are mandatory. Please read our comment guidelines before posting.

*Name:

Note: Your name will be published with your comment.

*Email Address:

Your email will only be used if a response is needed.
*Your Comment:

Are you the defendant or a subject matter expert on this topic with an opposing viewpoint? We'd love to hear your comments here as well, or if you'd like to contact us for an interview please submit your details here.


Click to learn more about LawyersandSettlements.com

Request Legal Help Now! - Free