LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Elder Abuse Legal News Articles & Interviews
March 28, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ New Jersey Nursing Homes Operator Counting on Protocol to Dismiss Lawsuit ]
Lafayette, NJ The Andover nursing homes operator is facing a proposed class action lawsuit claiming poor treatment of residents before and during the COVID-19 pandemic. He argued in federal court to dismiss the nursing home abuse complaint based on state and federal law virus protocol.
March 2, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Repeated Sexual Abuse in Nursing Home Criminal ]
Oswego, NY A female resident in Pontiac Nursing Home in Oswego suffering from dementia was sexually abused three times by another resident who was admitted to Pontiac in 2019. Management declined to tell Pontiac’s doctor and other employees that he was a known sexual offender.
June 21, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Santa Cruz, CA: Inheritance lawyers have heard it all at this point: you don’t need a Will or a trust fund because you are not rich, own everything with a spouse, have wandered through the house putting little yellow sticky notes on the pictures and the silverware describing who should get them, and besides, you’re young and go to the gym.Read [ Why You Need an Estate Plan ]
Federal Government Discourages Penalties for Nursing Home Abuse Despite Report Calling for More Oversight
May 24, 2018. By Lori Prapas.
New York, NY: Since 2017, the Trump administration has been rolling back Obama-era rules intended to protect patients from elder care neglect. Since 2016, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), part of the Federal Department of Health and Human Services, has been making rules that prevent victims of nursing home injury from bringing civil lawsuits to recover damages for neglect and abuse. Then in 2017, CMS discouraged its regional offices from fining care centers for one-time violations and issued a memo discouraging directors of state agencies from issuing daily fines for certain violations.Read [ Federal Government Discourages Penalties for Nursing Home Abuse Despite Report Calling for More Oversight ]
June 30, 2015. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Lawyer Tackles Elder Abuse in Financial Services Industry ]
Beverly Hills, CA A 2015 report produced by True Link Financial estimates that the amount lost by senior citizens through financial elder abuse in the US is at a staggering $36.48 billion annually. That number surges well past a previous MetLife Institute report in 2011 that estimated the amount to be $2.9 billion.
October 14, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Courts Continue to Quash Nursing Home Arbitration Agreements ]
Reading, PA When one thinks of nursing home abuse, it would be expected to assume images of mistreatment of the resident through either elder care neglect, or antagonistic and grounds of physical abuse.
February 24, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Alleged Care Center Abuse Results in Closing of Home ]
Suamico, WI If care center abuse and care home abuse sound like the sort of things that only happen to other people, residents who have been subjected to abuse at the hands of the people they pay to care for them might strongly disagree. Residential care abuse happens with alarming frequency, causing some state agencies to take action. At least one care home in Wisconsin has now been shut down, after inspectors allegedly found egregious cases of abuse and neglect.
January 28, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Was Alleged Care Center Abuse and Neglect the Result of Planned Closures? ]
Woodbridge, NJ When one hears the phrase, “care center abuse,” one automatically thinks of nursing homes catering to elderly residents. But that’s only part of the story: there are care center facilities dedicated to all manner of individuals with special needs, regardless of age. To that end, the death last year of a patient in an institution that serves individuals with developmental disabilities in New Jersey prompted a state investigation and a review of prior decisions to close not one, but two long-term care facilities.
LawyersandSettlements.com Interviews Elder Fraud Attorney With Regard to Financial Exploitation of Seniors
January 19, 2014. By LAS Staff Writer.
Read [ LawyersandSettlements.com Interviews Elder Fraud Attorney With Regard to Financial Exploitation of Seniors ]
Our nation’s elderly continue to be potential targets for financial predators and others seeking to take advantage of their trust. LawyersandSettlements.com spoke with attorney Craig Niven regarding the risk to elderly Americans, and how they can protect themselves against financial fraud.Walnut Creek, CA (January 19, 2014): Consumer fraud against the elderly is already a multi-billion dollar problem that’s poised to grow even bigger each year, thanks to the overall aging of what CNN.com notes as the largest single generation of Americans born in US history, the Baby Boomer.* And California-based attorney Craig Niven winces at some of the ways in which various hucksters and even cold-hearted family members take advantage of seniors.
December 22, 2013. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Can Bedsore Lawsuit Settlement Stop Care Center Abuse? ]
Newburg, OR Having to place your loved ones in a long-term care center is often sad and stressful, but Care Center Abuse is unthinkable. Unfortunately, elderly abuse is not uncommon and sometimes it takes a care center abuse lawsuit to stop such violations.
- Elder Financial Abuse: Whom Do You Trust? By Gordon Gibb (Dec-11-13)
- LawyersandSettlements.com Interviews Elder Financial Abuse Attorney Regarding Elderly Financial Fraud By LAS Staff Writer (Dec-9-13)
- Follow the Money Says Elder Fraud Attorney By Brenda Craig (Dec-1-13)
- Charges Filed in California Financial Elder Abuse Case By Heidi Turner (Nov-29-13)
- Outrage Over Financial Exploitation of Elderly Drives California Lawyer By Brenda Craig (Nov-23-13)
- Financial Elder Abuse Not What the Doctor Ordered By Gordon Gibb (Nov-15-13)
- YMCA Fights for Its License following Allegations of Care Center Abuse By Gordon Gibb (Nov-1-13)
- How Psychologists Can Help Prosecute Elder Fraud By Brenda Craig (Oct-31-13)
- How Financial Elder Abuse Works By Brenda Craig (Oct-29-13)
- Financial Elder Abuse: “We’re Targets,” Says Advocate for Change By Gordon Gibb (Oct-27-13)
- Washington State Tough on Elder Fraud By Brenda Craig (Oct-24-13)
- Families Responsible for Ensuring Safety of Loved Ones at Care Homes By Heidi Turner (Oct-16-13)
- California to Take a Tougher Stance on Financial Elder Abuse By Heidi Turner (Oct-6-13)
- Swindled Seniors: Former California Judge to Be Sentenced, Florida Lawsuit Continues By Gordon Gibb (Sep-23-13)
- Workers Fired for Elder Care Abuse Won’t Be Charged By Gordon Gibb (Sep-18-13)
- California Bill Makes It Easier to File a Financial Elder Abuse Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Sep-3-13)
- Financial Elder Abuse Stealing by Any Other Name By Gordon Gibb (Aug-22-13)
- Man Wins $1.2 Billion in Nursing Home Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Aug-15-13)
- Financial Elder Abuse Often Perpetrated by Trusted Family and Friends By Heidi Turner (Aug-6-13)
- Nursing Home Abuse Results in Charges for 21 Employees By Heidi Turner (Jul-15-13)
- Nursing Home Abuse Could Result in Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Jun-24-13)
- Nursing Home Sexual Assaults Alleged By Heidi Turner (May-14-13)
- California Chain Cited for Care Center Abuse Twice in Three Years By Gordon Gibb (Apr-19-13)
- Care Center Abuse Uncovered through Hidden Cameras By Heidi Turner (Mar-17-13)
- Disability Center Loses Funding Over Care Center Abuse By Heidi Turner (Feb-12-13)
- Inspections Show Serious Incidences of Care Center Abuse By Heidi Turner (Jan-17-13)
- The Difficulty with Care Center Abuse Cases By Heidi Turner (Dec-13-12)
- More Allegations of Care Center Abuse at Florida Facility By Heidi Turner (Nov-15-12)
- Lawsuit Filed Against Brain Center By Heidi Turner (Oct-17-12)
- Fatal Attack of Elderly Woman in NJ Alzheimer's Facility By Abi Kistler (Sep-20-12)
- Residents of Some Homes Routinely Victims of Care Center Abuse By Heidi Turner (Sep-19-12)
- Lawsuits Allege Care Center Abuse By Heidi Turner (Aug-14-12)
- Care Center Abuse: Sandusky Case Highlights Role of Officials By Heidi Turner (Jul-9-12)
- Wrongful Death Lawsuit Filed Against Assisted Living Center By Heidi Turner (Jul-1-12)
- Lawsuits Allege Care Center Abuse By Heidi Turner (Jun-6-12)
- Seniors: Beware of Long Term Disability Care Insurance Scammers By Gordon Gibb (May-31-12)
- Care Center Abuse Lawsuit Filed By Heidi Turner (Apr-24-12)
- Record-Setting Verdict in Nursing Home Abuse Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Feb-6-12)
- Questionable Deaths Reported in Florida's Assisted Living Facilities By Lucy Campbell (May-11-11)
- Nursing Home Abuse Criminal By Jane Mundy (Apr-27-11)