LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATIONConsumer Fraud
Legal News Articles - Consumer Fraud
October 19, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Judge Upends $289 Million Monsanto Roundup Cancer Award ]
San Francisco, CA On October 11, 2018, San Francisco Superior Court Judge Suzanne Bolanos tentatively ruled that she would toss out the jury’s $250 million punitive damage award and schedule a new trial on that issue. The judge also suggested she may also drastically reduce the $39 million compensatory damage portion of the Monsanto glyphosate lawsuit award. The final ruling is due on October 22. The results of this trial are expected to have significant impact on the hundreds of Roundup cancer lawsuits now pending.
New Jersey Win for Johnson & Johnson and Los Angeles Mistrials in Asbestos –Mesothelioma Cancer Talc Trials
October 17, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ New Jersey Win for Johnson & Johnson and Los Angeles Mistrials in Asbestos –Mesothelioma Cancer Talc Trials ]
Los Angeles, CA Within two weeks of each other, two juries in California failed to reach a verdict on the same issues regarding asbestos-talc claims, resulting in two mistrials. Nine votes are needed for a verdict on claims that J&J was guilty of negligence, failure to warn about the risk of asbestos and marketing defective products. On Sept 24, the sixth J&J mesothelioma trial, the Los Angeles jury was deadlocked 8-4 against J&J – one juror short of victory for plaintiff Kirk Von Salzen. Bloomerg reported that Von Salzen, a retired computer salesman, had used J&J’s talcum powder for 30 years when he was diagnosed in 2017. He was seeking over $12m in damages. Despite the result, his attorney was “satisfied” that eight jurors ruled against J&J.
October 3, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Digital Federal Credit Union Snared in Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit ]
Boston, MAThe allegations in the latest excessive overdraft fees lawsuit against Digital Federal Credit Union (DFCU) may seem familiar by now. It is about two different ways of calculating an account balance – one which the consumer saw, and the other, lower number, which DFCU kept much closer to the vest. Similar lawsuits have been filed against Landmark Credit Union, Summit Credit Union, Pentagon Federal Credit Union and Boeing Employees Credit Union.
September 11, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ New California Class Action Lawsuit Targets Deceptive Bank Fees ]
San Diego, CA Bank fees are growing rapidly, and consumers are feeling the pinch. Furthermore, many customers feel that they are somehow being hoodwinked into paying hidden, undisclosed costs. On August 2, 2018, Reyna McGovern filed a class action excessive bank fees lawsuit against U.S. Bank, N.A. (US Bank). Her lawsuit tackles two thorny issues: out-of-network ATM fees and overdraft fees charged when her account showed a sufficient account balance.
September 10, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Talcum Cancer Lawsuit in California Based on Trust ]
Los Angeles, CA: In the sixth talcum powder-cancer trial that began last month in California, Johnson & Johnson is accused of knowing its talcum powder contained asbestos, a carcinogen known to cause mesothelioma. Plaintiff Carolyn Weirick last year was diagnosed with the rare form of terminal cancer. She claims her illness was caused by using J&J’s baby powder.
August 28, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ CFPB Moves to Protect Students from Overdraft Fees ]
Washington, DC On July 20, 2018, the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection (CFPB) offered to settle its claim that TCF National Bank engaged in deceptive practices to market its overdraft protection services. In its bank overdraft fees lawsuit the CFPB alleged that these practices affected students at the University of Minnesota, with which TCF has a beneficial financial relationship. As their bright young things head off to college, should parents be concerned? Students and other inexperienced and lower income banking customers are particularly vulnerable to excessive overdraft fee schemes.
August 15, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Landmark Credit Union Settles Overdraft Fees Lawsuit ]
New Berlin, WI: Danell Behrens filed a proposed class action overdraft fees lawsuit in February 2017 against Landmark Credit Union (LCU), alleging the not-for-profit financial institution charged its members more than $2 million in overdraft fees, in violation of the Electronic Fund Transfer Act (ETFA) and LCU’s own overdraft program contract. LCU has agreed to refund some of those fees and change its overdraft practices as part of the settlement agreement.
July 27, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Washington, DC: You may have been charged excessive bank overdraft fees unknowingly. Or maybe you filed a bank overdraft fees lawsuit some time ago to fight back against the banks. If so, you may be able to make money from the banks, namely Bank of America, Wells Fargo, JPMorgan Chase and TCF National Bank.Read [ Time For Banks To Pay Up: Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuits Settled ]
February 27, 2018. By Lucy Campbell.
Washington, DC: Families of patients who allegedly suffered birth defects while taking GlaxoSmithKline’s (GSK) anti-nausea drug Zofran, and who are suing the drug maker in multi-district litigating (MDL) are asking that the drug maker hand over data stored in a drug safety database called “Argus.”Read [ Families Ask GSK to Hand Over Zofran Data ]
February 15, 2018. By Lucy Campbell.
Los Angeles, CA: Zimmer, the maker of NexGen knee replacements and the defendant in a defective products multi-district litigation (MDL) has reached a preliminary settlement with the plaintiffs in the longstanding MDL.Read [ Tentative Settlement Reached in Zimmer NexGen Knee-Implant MDL ]
- Minnesota Consumer Sues Capital One over 128 Bill Collector Robocalls to Cellular Phone By Anne Wallace (Feb-6-18)
- Androgel Bellwether Case Gets New Legal Team By Lucy Campbell (Jan-9-18)
- Home Warranty Lawsuit Goes to the New Jersey Supreme Court By Gordon Gibb (Dec-14-17)
- $28M Xarelto Verdict Against J&J and Bayer By Lucy Campbell (Dec-5-17)
- Time for Consumers to Litigate Against the Autorenewal Clause, Lawyer Says By Brenda Craig (Nov-25-17)
- $247M Verdict for Plaintiffs In DePuy Pinnacle Hip Replacement Trial By Lucy Campbell (Nov-16-17)
- Bank of America to Settle Excessive Fees Class Action for $66.6 Million By Gordon Gibb (Nov-10-17)
- First Xarelto Trial Stalled Over Allegations of Witness Tampering By Lucy Campbell (Nov-6-17)
- It Just Got Harder to Sue Your Bank for Excessive Overdraft Fees By Anne Wallace (Oct-30-17)
- $72M J&J Talc Cancer Verdict Reversed By Lucy Campbell (Oct-18-17)
- Wells Fargo Now Favors Arbitration in Long-Running Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Oct-16-17)
- Bayer Pulls Essure Birth Control Device From All Countries Except US By Lucy Campbell (Sep-26-17)
- FDA Clears Bair Hugger for Post-Surgical Use By Lucy Campbell (Sep-12-17)
- $57.1M Ethicon TVT Secur Mesh Verdict Awarded By Lucy Campbell (Sep-8-17)
- Banks Fight Excessive Overdraft Suits with Bid for Arbitration By Anne Wallace (Sep-8-17)
- Whistleblower Alleges Healthcare Fraud in Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Sep-7-17)
- Insys Faked Cancer Patients to Get Fentanyl Sales By Lucy Campbell (Sep-7-17)
- Disgruntled Connecticut Account Holder Sues People’s United Bank over Fees By Gordon Gibb (Sep-3-17)
- Republican Lawmakers Want to Retract New Consumers Rights to Excessive Bank Fees Class Actions By Gordon Gibb (Aug-3-17)
- Tipsters Play Huge Role in Rooting Out Financial Fraud By Brenda Craig (Aug-2-17)
- Women Speak Out About Essure Health Problems By Lucy Campbell (Jul-31-17)
- Denied Disability Plaintiffs Overdue for Unum’s Cutting Board? By Jane Mundy (Jul-20-17)
- Study Finds Consumers Complain Most About Banks With Highest Overdraft Fee Revenue By Deb Hipp (Jul-19-17)
- Sears Facing 401K Class Action Lawsuit By Lucy Campbell (Jul-19-17)
- Charges Laid Against 412 Individuals for Medicaid Fraud and Opioid Prescribing By Lucy Campbell (Jul-13-17)
- For Comenity Bank, TCPA Violation Lawsuit Keep Coming By Gordon Gibb (Jul-7-17)
- Smith & Nephew Birmingham Hip Resurfacing Lawsuit Filed By Lucy Campbell (Jul-5-17)
- Illinois Plaintiff Launches TCPA Robocall Lawsuit against Fifth Third Bank By Gordon Gibb (Jun-13-17)
- Consumer and Legal Advocates Concerned About Potential Threats to Class Action Lawsuits By Brenda Craig (May-23-17)
- $553M in Settlements Reached with Toyota, Subaru, Mazda and BMW in Takata Airbag MDL By Lucy Campbell (May-18-17)
- $8M Settlement Reached in Omnicare False Claims Suit By Lucy Campbell (May-18-17)
- Recalled Airbags Being Recycled in Crash-Affected Vehicles By Lucy Campbell (May-10-17)
- Saxagliptin Heart Failure and Death Lawsuits Filed By Lucy Campbell (May-9-17)
- $110M Verdict Against J&J In Talc Cancer Trial By Lucy Campbell (May-5-17)
- California Attorney Stands Up for Consumer Rights and Class Action Suits By Brenda Craig (May-3-17)
- Wells Fargo’s Pursuit of Arbitration a Waste of Resources: Plaintiffs By Gordon Gibb (Apr-24-17)
- $55M Personal Injury Verdict Against Honda Stands By Lucy Campbell (Apr-19-17)
- 3M Bair Hugger Blanket Bellwether Cases Chosen for Trial By Lucy Campbell (Apr-11-17)
- The Predatory Lending Cycle of the Car Title Loan By Gordon Gibb (Mar-13-17)
- Doctor from Dallas Collects $11.4 million for Blowing the Whistle on Healthcare Fraud By Brenda Craig (Mar-3-17)