Legal News Articles - Consumer Fraud
February 15, 2018. By Lucy Campbell.
Los Angeles, CA: Zimmer, the maker of NexGen knee replacements and the defendant in a defective products multi-district litigation (MDL) has reached a preliminary settlement with the plaintiffs in the longstanding MDL.Read [ Tentative Settlement Reached in Zimmer NexGen Knee-Implant MDL ]
February 6, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Chaska, MN: By the middle of 2017, after more than 128 bill collector harassment calls Kristie Drigger had had enough. She sued Capital One Bank in Minnesota District Court, seeking at least $1,500 per telephone call made in violation of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA).Read [ Minnesota Consumer Sues Capital One over 128 Bill Collector Robocalls to Cellular Phone ]
January 9, 2018. By Lucy Campbell.
Chicago, IL: Just days before the third Androgel lawsuit was set to go to court, the multi-million dollar verdict-winning lawyers representing the plaintiffs in the testosterone multidistrict litigation (MDL) swapped out their key lawyers.Read [ Androgel Bellwether Case Gets New Legal Team ]
December 14, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Trenton, NJ: Plaintiffs who bring home warranty lawsuits against home warranty companies commonly assert allegations of shoddy workmanship, delays or denials of claims. However in this case, the plaintiff alleged violations to New Jersey’s Consumer Fraud Act and Truth in Consumer Contract, Warrant and Notice Act with regard to a contract that was allegedly misleading in stated coverage periods, amongst other claims.Read [ Home Warranty Lawsuit Goes to the New Jersey Supreme Court ]
December 5, 2017. By Lucy Campbell.
Philadelphia, PA: A jury has found against units of Johnson & Johnson (J&J) and Bayer AG in the fourth bellwether Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) case being heard as part of a Xarelto mass tort. The award, nearly $28 million, is the first favoring a plaintiff, in this case Lynn Hartman, who alleged she suffered a serious gastrointestinal bleed while using the blood thinning medication. The jury found that the pharmaceutical companies failed to provide adequate warnings regarding the risks for bleeding associated with Xarelto.Read [ $28M Xarelto Verdict Against J&J and Bayer ]
November 25, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Los Angeles, CA: Not a week goes by that attorney Francis (Casey) Flynn doesn’t get up to ten phone calls from irate consumers complaining about an autorenewal clause for some product or service they purchased and then find they can’t get rid of it no matter how hard they try.Read [ Time for Consumers to Litigate Against the Autorenewal Clause, Lawyer Says ]
November 16, 2017. By Lucy Campbell.
Dallas, TX: A $247 million verdict has been awarded against the maker of DePuy’s Pinnacle line of metal-on-metal hip implants, DePuy Orthopaedics Inc, and its parent company Johnson & Johnson (J&J), with $90 million in punitive damages against J&J and $78 million in punitive damages against DePuy. The settlement is the third, consecutive multi-million dollar verdict delivered in this multidistrict litigation.Read [ $247M Verdict for Plaintiffs In DePuy Pinnacle Hip Replacement Trial ]
November 10, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Los Angeles, CA: Yet another major bank has bowed to litigants enraged over excessive bank overdraft fees, following the announcement of a settlement worth $66.6 million. The bank overdraft fees settlement, designed to end a lawsuit against Bank of America, still requires court approval.Read [ Bank of America to Settle Excessive Fees Class Action for $66.6 Million ]
November 6, 2017. By Lucy Campbell.
Philadelphia, PA: Allegations of witness tampering have stalled the beginning of the Xarelto litigation. The first Xarelto trail was set to being Monday, November 6, but instead got sidelined by attempts to determine the significance of a meeting between a key witness, Dr. Timothy Aldridge, the plaintiff’s treating physician, and a Janssen sales representative.Read [ First Xarelto Trial Stalled Over Allegations of Witness Tampering ]
October 30, 2017. By Anne Wallace.
Washington, DC: On October 24,2017, the Senate voted to overturn a Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) rule that limited banks’ ability to enforce mandatory arbitration clauses in consumer contracts. While this change is unlikely to alter the course of existing excessive overdraft fee lawsuits, it will make it much harder for consumers to join class actions against giant financial institutions like Wells Fargo, Capital One or Fifth Third in the future.Read [ It Just Got Harder to Sue Your Bank for Excessive Overdraft Fees ]
- $72M J&J Talc Cancer Verdict Reversed By Lucy Campbell (Oct-18-17)
- Wells Fargo Now Favors Arbitration in Long-Running Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Oct-16-17)
- Bayer Pulls Essure Birth Control Device From All Countries Except US By Lucy Campbell (Sep-26-17)
- FDA Clears Bair Hugger for Post-Surgical Use By Lucy Campbell (Sep-12-17)
- $57.1M Ethicon TVT Secur Mesh Verdict Awarded By Lucy Campbell (Sep-8-17)
- Banks Fight Excessive Overdraft Suits with Bid for Arbitration By Anne Wallace (Sep-8-17)
- Whistleblower Alleges Healthcare Fraud in Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Sep-7-17)
- Insys Faked Cancer Patients to Get Fentanyl Sales By Lucy Campbell (Sep-7-17)
- Disgruntled Connecticut Account Holder Sues People’s United Bank over Fees By Gordon Gibb (Sep-3-17)
- Republican Lawmakers Want to Retract New Consumers Rights to Excessive Bank Fees Class Actions By Gordon Gibb (Aug-3-17)
- Tipsters Play Huge Role in Rooting Out Financial Fraud By Brenda Craig (Aug-2-17)
- Women Speak Out About Essure Health Problems By Lucy Campbell (Jul-31-17)
- Denied Disability Plaintiffs Overdue for Unum’s Cutting Board? By Jane Mundy (Jul-20-17)
- Study Finds Consumers Complain Most About Banks With Highest Overdraft Fee Revenue By Deb Hipp (Jul-19-17)
- Sears Facing 401K Class Action Lawsuit By Lucy Campbell (Jul-19-17)
- Charges Laid Against 412 Individuals for Medicaid Fraud and Opioid Prescribing By Lucy Campbell (Jul-13-17)
- For Comenity Bank, TCPA Violation Lawsuit Keep Coming By Gordon Gibb (Jul-7-17)
- Smith & Nephew Birmingham Hip Resurfacing Lawsuit Filed By Lucy Campbell (Jul-5-17)
- Defective Airbags Prompt Takata Bankruptcy By Lucy Campbell (Jun-26-17)
- Illinois Plaintiff Launches TCPA Robocall Lawsuit against Fifth Third Bank By Gordon Gibb (Jun-13-17)
- Consumer and Legal Advocates Concerned About Potential Threats to Class Action Lawsuits By Brenda Craig (May-23-17)
- $553M in Settlements Reached with Toyota, Subaru, Mazda and BMW in Takata Airbag MDL By Lucy Campbell (May-18-17)
- $8M Settlement Reached in Omnicare False Claims Suit By Lucy Campbell (May-18-17)
- Recalled Airbags Being Recycled in Crash-Affected Vehicles By Lucy Campbell (May-10-17)
- Saxagliptin Heart Failure and Death Lawsuits Filed By Lucy Campbell (May-9-17)
- $110M Verdict Against J&J In Talc Cancer Trial By Lucy Campbell (May-5-17)
- California Attorney Stands Up for Consumer Rights and Class Action Suits By Brenda Craig (May-3-17)
- Wells Fargo’s Pursuit of Arbitration a Waste of Resources: Plaintiffs By Gordon Gibb (Apr-24-17)
- $55M Personal Injury Verdict Against Honda Stands By Lucy Campbell (Apr-19-17)
- 3M Bair Hugger Blanket Bellwether Cases Chosen for Trial By Lucy Campbell (Apr-11-17)
- Fosamax Femur Fracture Lawsuits Revived By Lucy Campbell (Mar-24-17)
- The Predatory Lending Cycle of the Car Title Loan By Gordon Gibb (Mar-13-17)
- Doctor from Dallas Collects $11.4 million for Blowing the Whistle on Healthcare Fraud By Brenda Craig (Mar-3-17)
- Granuflo Bellwether Case Fails to Prove Fault By Lucy Campbell (Mar-3-17)
- Qui Tam Whistleblowers and Healthcare Fraud: “It’s a Completely Criminal Enterprise” By Jane Mundy (Feb-19-17)
- $15.3 Million Settlement over Predatory Lending By Gordon Gibb (Feb-10-17)
- New Balance Hit with California Class Action By Gordon Gibb (Feb-6-17)
- Judge Approves $67MM Settlement in BP Defective Product Class Action Lawsuit By LAS Staff Writer (Feb-3-17)
- $25M Accutane Settlement Reinstated By Lucy Campbell (Jan-26-17)
- Takata to Pay $1B for Airbag Scandal By Lucy Campbell (Jan-13-17)