LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
New York Lawyer Interviews
August 2, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
New York, NY: The US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has been relentless in its pursuit of wrongdoers in the financial industry. Since 2011 it has recovered $975 million in enforcement actions ranging from elaborate investment schemes to financial advisors that work to benefit themselves rather than investors.Read [ Tipsters Play Huge Role in Rooting Out Financial Fraud ]
February 4, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Fresno, CA: Opponents and families involved in lawsuits against the makers of the chemical herbicide known as Roundup are hailing a “tentative decision” by a California judge based on written arguments to allow glyphosate to be added to the “list of chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer” under California’s Proposition 65 (Prop 65). Prop 65 makes it mandatory for the California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA), a division of the California Environment Protection Agency, to list all known cancer causing chemicals.Read [ Monsanto Loses Labelling Battle in California – Tentatively ]
January 4, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Story of Failed DePuy Hip Replacement Devices “Shocking” says Lawyer ]
New York, NY Truth remains supreme in the courtrooms of America and the facts revealed in the recent litigation against Johnson & Johnson and its subsidiary DePuy Orthopaedics Inc. tell a “shocking” story of “fraud and conspiracy”, says attorney Jayne Conroy from the firm of Simmons Hanly Conroy of New York.
December 27, 2016. By Heidi Turner.
New York, NY: The phrase donning and doffing is used to describe situations where employees put on or take off special gear or clothing for their work, but donning and doffing lawsuits are part of a larger area of litigation known as unpaid wages litigation, where employees are not properly paid for all their time involved in work-related activities. Employees may have employers who demand they complete work-related activities before or after their shifts but refuse to pay employees for that time. Unpaid wages litigation is increasing as workers become more aware of their rights, and of what activities employers must pay them for.Read [ Attorney: Unpaid Wages Violations "Pervasive" ]
November 17, 2016. By Jane Mundy.
Los Angeles, CA: Several food supplements lawsuits claiming deceptive marketing and labelling have been filed against Jessica Alba’s Honest Company, arguing its products are "falsely" labeled as natural and plant-based. But what does “natural” mean? “From a liability standpoint, I don’t see the merit in these false advertising suits when there is no agreed upon definition of natural in the first place,” says attorney Ann Marie Mortimer, partner at Hunton & Williams law firm.Read [ Is Jessica Alba’s Honest Company Dishonest? ]
June 6, 2015. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Attorney Discusses RICO Lawsuit Involving Governor and Oil Companies: California’s “Water-Gate” ]
Bakersfield, CA Just when you think the water situation in California can’t get much worse, fracking in Kern County has resulted in contaminated water that has so far killed one plaintiff’s cherry orchard. A RICO lawsuit filed two days ago claims that Governor Jerry Brown’s office ordered the California Division of Oil, Gas, and Geothermal Resources (DOGGR) to approve permits to inject contaminated water, which violates the Safe Drinking Water Act.
“The potential impact to our food supply and water supply is enormous,” says attorney Patricia Oliver.
March 29, 2013. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Lawyer Spots Sea Change in Wage and Hour Court Battles ]
Jericho, NY Judges recently dismissed a wage and hour overtime case brought against a group of Catholic Hospitals on Long Island by a respiratory therapist and two nurses.
January 11, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ REIT Unsuitability Violations: Interview with Attorney Christopher Gray ]
New York, NY When it comes to securities fraud claims, one of the areas of concern is suitability violations--when a broker-dealer or financial advisor recommends investment products that are unsuitable for the client. Christopher Gray, senior attorney at Law Office of Christopher J. Gray, PC, says he is seeing numerous suitability violation claims related to the sale of non-exchange traded real estate investment trusts. Those claims may result in an arbitration being filed on behalf of the investor.
September 25, 2012. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Fracking and Legal Recourse: Attorney Weighs In ]
Bradford County, PA Depending upon how you look at it, fracking may be good news--if it doesn’t affect you personally. It helps with the global climate because burning gas emits less carbon dioxide into the atmosphere than burning coal. And by supplying 30 percent of America’s natural gas, it’s arguably better for national security. But fracking comes at a cost: Attorney Ben Stewart has some advice for people who have suffered personal injury, property loss and more.
February 6, 2011. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ There Is Justice for All ]
Mineola, NY Never doubt the strength and durability of the American justice system says attorney Mark Bernstein—there is justice for all. "If you ever doubted it," says Bernstein, "this is the case that should prove to you we are still living in the right country at the right time."
- Jury Awards Wrongfully Convicted Man $18.5 Million By Brenda Craig (Nov-15-10)
- Attorney Discusses Best Buy Overtime Settlement By Jane Mundy (Oct-1-10)
- Neighborhoods Sue Tonawanda Coke By Brenda Craig (Sep-30-10)
- Attorney Tracks Foreclosure Frauds and Files Class Action By Brenda Craig (Sep-6-10)
- It takes Chutzpah to Keep Stolen Art By Brenda Craig (Jul-31-10)
- Battle Brews over Lower Manhattan Proposed Mosque By Brenda Craig (Jul-27-10)
- Homecare Nurses Sue Gentiva By Brenda Craig (May-25-10)
- Google in Historic Lawsuit By Brenda Craig (May-12-10)
- Toyota Shareholders Sue By Brenda Craig (Mar-26-10)
- Denial Exacerbates Traffic Violation Costs By Brenda Craig (Jan-8-10)
- Attorney Says Prepaid Debit Cards Can Carry High Fees By Heidi Turner (Oct-20-09)
- Sheet Metal Workers at Risk for Mesothelioma By Brenda Craig (Sep-28-09)
- 'Tell it like it is' says New York Personal Injury Lawyer By Brenda Craig (Aug-24-09)
- Attorney Norah Hart Takes on Match.Com By Brenda Craig (Jun-17-09)
- Obsolete Emergency Response Drives Mercedes Owners to Court By Brenda Craig (May-23-09)
- Hidden Overtime: Interview with Wage and Hour Lawyer Greg Jones By Jane Mundy (Apr-22-09)
- Thoughts on the Crash of Flight 3407 from Airline Captain Turned Aviation Disaster Attorney John Greaves By Heidi Turner (Apr-16-09)
- Citigroup Engaged in Recessionary Discrimination says Attorney Wigdor By Brenda Craig (Mar-13-09)
- Two Overtime Attorneys Weigh In By Heidi Turner (Feb-21-09)
- Mutual Funds Losses Linked to Internet Gambling By Heidi Turner (Feb-5-09)
- Death by Hospital – The Next Lawsuit Wave By Brenda Craig (Nov-15-08)
- Attorney Eric Chaffin asks if your Shoulder Clicks, Pops or Grinds? By Brenda Craig (Oct-25-08)
- Cure an Infection, Rupture a Tendon By Brenda Craig (Oct-22-08)
- Attorney Charles Binder: Advocate for The Disabled By Brenda Craig (Oct-4-08)
- Bruce Meizlish: TruGreen Workers Complain About Chinese Overtime Pay By Brenda Craig (Aug-26-08)
- Auction Rate Securities: UBS Commits "Flagrant Breach of Trust" By Heidi Turner (Jul-26-08)
- Interview with Attorney Alan Crone on Overtime By Julia Browne (Jul-9-08)