August 17, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Will the New Asbestos Regulation Put the Public at Risk? ]
Washington, DC: The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has enacted a new rule to purportedly strengthen oversight on asbestos: it will review applications for using asbestos in consumer products. But the agency’s critics and consumer groups argue that this rule makes it easier for asbestos to be used in consumer products, from construction materials to plastic bags.
Asbestos Mesothelioma Passed from Father to Son, Guilty Verdict for Defendant Liberty Utilities (Park Water) Corp.
June 25, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Los Angeles, CA: A California jury recently awarded Alfred Mata and his wife $11.4 million in an asbestos lawsuit against Liberty Utilities (Park Water) Corp. Alfred developed mesothelioma from his father, who worked with water pipes that contained asbestos and brought the fibers home on his clothes.Read [ Asbestos Mesothelioma Passed from Father to Son, Guilty Verdict for Defendant Liberty Utilities (Park Water) Corp. ]
July 1, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Phoenix, AZ: Litigation surrounding the death of an underground pipe worker allegedly exposed to asbestos, demonstrates what often goes on behind the scenes that serves to shift the focus away from the victim, and onto defendants seeking to cover their financial losses. Many an asbestosis lawsuit has alleged failures on the part of employers and those responsible for work sites have resulted in unprotected exposure to asbestos, causing asbestosis disease, mesothelioma and other diseases associated with exposure to the deadly carcinogen.Read [ Legal Wrangling Over Cost of Asbestos Settlement Continues Long After Victim Dies ]
May 13, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
New York, NY: A victim of mesothelioma who has been made to wait for two additional years while his asbestos lawsuit jury award was appealed by the defendants, has seen his asbestos lawsuit battle finally come to an end after an appeals court upheld a lower court ruling.Read [ $4 Million Mesothelioma Plaintiff Verdict Upheld on Appeal ]
April 9, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Birmingham, AL In January 2017, after more than a decade of litigation, 1,000 vermiculite mine workers and residents of the town of Libby, Montana were awarded a $25 million settlement in compensation for exposure to asbestos from the W.R. Grace Company vermiculite mine that caused dozens and dozens of cases of asbestosis, mesothelioma or lung cancer.Read [ The Story of Libby Montana and Asbestosis ]
March 14, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Los Angeles, CA: While some might characterize it as a case of legal hair-splitting, a California appeals court nonetheless upheld state legal statutes and affirmed a lower court’s ruling in granting summary judgement to the defendant in an asbestosis lawsuit. The ruling was based on grounds that the plaintiff was unable to prove exposure, or probability of exposure, to asbestos.Read [ Evidence in Asbestosis Claim Failed to Meet California Minimums for Plausibility ]
January 11, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Edmonton, AB: While a class action lawsuit waged against Halliburton Co. has gone on for some 14 years, it’s been more than 114 years that knowledge about the dangers of asbestos and asbestosis lung disease has been known. Only in the last few decades has the industrialized world taken the risks of asbestos seriously by phasing asbestos out in certain products, and asbestos abatement procedures for the renovation industry has reflected the adoption of asbestos as a carcinogen, and a truly hazardous material.Read [ Asbestosis Risk has been known since Roman Times ]
November 12, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
West Palm Beach, FL: An asbestosis lawsuit that originally found for the plaintiff but was overturned on appeal, has seen the appellate ruling upheld after the Fourth District Court of Appeal for the State of Florida refused to revisit its ruling.Read [ Asbestosis Lawsuit Plaintiff Hopes for a New Day with New Trial ]
September 24, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Spring Branch, TX: An asbestosis lawsuit has been filed against the giant multinational petroleum enterprise Chevron alleging gross negligence that led to the death of a husband and father from Texas. Plaintiff Margaret Stephens, who hails from Spring Branch in Texas, is joined by her Australian-based son Gary Stephens in her lawsuit against Chevron USA.Read [ Mother and Son Launch Asbestosis Lawsuit Over Death of Husband and Father ]
July 17, 2016. By Heidi Turner.
Washington, DC: A report issued by a product liabilities consulting firm suggests the number of asbestos lawsuits in 2015 is down slightly from 2014. But the same report notes that the number of defendants has increased. Asbestos lawsuits have been filed by people who became ill after their exposure to the carcinogen, alleging people were not properly warned about the risk of serious, fatal illnesses associated with asbestos exposure.Read [ Report: Number of Asbestos Claims Dropped in 2015 ]
- Massachusetts Firms Settle Allegations of Improper Asbestos Removal By Gordon Gibb (May-6-16)
- Asbestosis Class-Action Lawsuit Promises Many Twists and Turns By Gordon Gibb (Mar-27-16)
- Mammoth Asbestos Trial Scheduled This Month in Kentucky By Gordon Gibb (Feb-25-16)
- Illinois Couple Taking on a Host of Defendants in Asbestosis Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Jan-24-16)
- NPR Reports on “Third Wave” of Asbestos Disease By Heidi Turner (Dec-25-15)
- Appeals Court Rules in Favor of Asbestosis Lung Cancer Victim By Gordon Gibb (Nov-30-15)
- Asbestos Lawsuit Nets $3.5 Million By Heidi Turner (Oct-23-15)
- $13 Million Asbestos Verdict against Colgate-Palmolive Over Talcum Powder By Gordon Gibb (Sep-23-15)
- Thousands of Asbestosis Lawsuits Dismissed, but Plaintiffs Can Refile By Heidi Turner (Aug-17-15)
- Manufacturer May Be Liable for Machine Causing Release of Asbestos From Another Company’s Product By The National Trial Lawyers (Jul-30-15)
- Yet Another Asbestosis Lawsuit Based on Secondary Asbestos Exposure By Gordon Gibb (Jun-30-15)
- In Some Asbestosis Lawsuits, It’s Never Too Late By Gordon Gibb (May-28-15)
- Teacher Asbestos Lawsuit Filed in Europe By Heidi Turner (Apr-24-15)
- Asbestosis Lawsuit against Carnival Corporation Considered a First By Gordon Gibb (Mar-22-15)
- Study: Naturally Occurring Asbestos Poses a Risk By Heidi Turner (Feb-18-15)
- $358M Asbestos Settlement Announced By Heidi Turner (Jan-29-15)
- The Ongoing Asbestosis Legacy of Ambler, PA By Gordon Gibb (Dec-28-14)
- Companies Fined for Exposing Workers to Asbestos By Heidi Turner (Nov-28-14)
- Asbestos-Related Deaths Linked to “Factory of Death” By Heidi Turner (Oct-25-14)
- Researchers: Possible Link between IPF and Asbestosis By Heidi Turner (Sep-26-14)
- Alabama Court Rules Employer Has Duty of Care to Non-Worker in Asbestos Case By Gordon Gibb (Aug-28-14)
- Secret Research Conducted into Asbestos Diseases By Heidi Turner (Jul-19-14)
- Case Proves Bankruptcy Does Not Trump Asbestosis Compensation By Gordon Gibb (Jun-28-14)
- Asbestosis and Mesothelioma Could Result in Separate Lawsuits for Same Person By Heidi Turner (May-24-14)
- Fifty Years Following Exposure, Asbestosis Plaintiffs Receive $1.7 Million By Gordon Gibb (Apr-27-14)
- New Asbestosis Disease Lawsuit Filed in California By Gordon Gibb (Mar-25-14)
- Asbestosis Lawsuits Complicated for Plaintiffs By Heidi Turner (Feb-28-14)
- Family of Asbestosis Disease Victim Receives Two Sets of Awards By Gordon Gibb (Jan-30-14)
- Asbestosis and Asbestos By Heidi Turner (Dec-25-13)
- UK Steel Plant Workers Alleged to Have Had “Snowball Fights” with Asbestos By Gordon Gibb (Nov-24-13)
- Cigarettes Lead to Asbestos Claims By Heidi Turner (Oct-29-13)
- The Litigation and Liability Strategies Behind Asbestosis Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (Sep-13-13)
- Article Shows Staggering Number of Years Lost to Asbestosis and Mesothelioma By Heidi Turner (Aug-18-13)
- Thousands of Americans Dying from Asbestos Disease Each Year By Lucy Campbell (Aug-5-13)
- Asbestos Exposure Not Limited to Heavy Industry By Heidi Turner (Jul-5-13)
- Firefighter Dad Exposed to Asbestos By Jane Mundy (Jun-25-13)
- Asbestosis Linked to Lung Cancer in Study By Heidi Turner (Jun-10-13)
- Employees Litigating Over Alleged Asbestosis Lung Cancer Link to Nassau Coliseum By Gordon Gibb (Apr-30-13)
- Men to Face Jail Time for Asbestosis Exposure By Heidi Turner (Mar-16-13)
- Asbestos Lawsuits: Continuing Fall from Grace By Jane Mundy (Feb-22-13)