LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
LTD Insurance Fraud Legal News Articles & Interviews
January 11, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ LTD Claimants Win Big as Ninth Circuit Trims “Abuse of Discretion” Standard ]
San Francisco, CA In one of the earliest decisions of 2019, the Ninth Circuit gave plaintiffs in long term denied disability lawsuits a new way to challenge benefit denial decisions. It may turn out to be significant.
January 8, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Unum Disability Insurance Claimant Wins Reinstatement of LTD Benefits ]
Santa Ana, CA On November 20, 2018, the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California handed Pamela Fleming a resounding victory in her Unum disability insurance lawsuit. Unum had been paying her LTD benefits since 2005, after a serious and well-documented neck injury sustained in a car accident. A change in her treating physician and a brief surveillance video led the insurer to re-evaluate her claim and declare that she had recovered. The insurer terminated her benefits. Judge Cormac J. Carney was not impressed and reinstated her benefits due under the policy.
December 17, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Jury Awards $25.6 Million in Bad Faith Insurance Lawsuit ]
Oklahoma City, OK In November 2018, a jury awarded nearly $25.6 million to the family of a Oranna Cunningham, a woman who was diagnosed with advanced nasopharyngeal cancer. Her insurer, Aetna, refused to cover the cost of the proton beam therapy recommended by her physician, claiming that it was “experimental or investigational.” After her death, her husband brought a bad faith insurance lawsuit.
December 6, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Unum: the Gift of Giving and Taking Away ]
Chicago, IL: Yet another lawsuit was filed in November against First Unum for allegedly denying long-term disability benefits. In the same month, Unum announced to the media that it had donated $300,000 to a high-school girls’ leadership program.
November 16, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Fibromyalgia Sufferer Brings LTD Lawsuit against Life Insurance Co. of North America ]
Los Angeles, CA On September 14, 2018 Marisa Finnerty filed a long term denied disability lawsuit against the Life Insurance Company of North America (LINA), alleging that she had been wrongly denied benefits under her employer, Quest Diagnostics’, long term disability and group life insurance plans. Two things stand out about this lawsuit.
November 15, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Unum’s Denial of Opioid Overdose Deaths ]
New Orleans, LA: The giant insurance company Unum—also known as First Unum -- typically denies accidental death benefits (as do most other life insurance companies) by excluding in their policy coverage for deaths related to prescription overdose or for medical or surgical treatment of a sickness or disease. But Unum’s denial didn’t sway Judge Martin Feldman this past August.
October 23, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Is a Health Plan Liable for the Negligence of an Unqualified Claims Reviewer? ]
Sherman, TX Johnson v. UnitedHealthcare raises more questions than it answers about how ERISA protects health plan participants who bring bad faith insurance lawsuits over denied medical claims. Stephen Johnson had more than his share of hardship. The law hasn’t helped him. But it’s a complicated story that will affect claimants and health insurers denying medical claims in California and throughout the country. So hang on.
October 15, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ UNUM LTD Claimants Must Beware of Exhaustion of Remedies Roadblock ]
Chattanooga, TN On September 25, 2018, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals granted UNUM Life Insurance’s motion for summary judgment, thus ending Richard Ravenscraft’s UNUM disability lawsuit on the grounds that he had not exhausted administrative remedies. These are the rocks on which many long term disability lawsuits have been dashed.
October 10, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Mother with Post-Partum Depression Denied Disability Benefits by Hartford ]
Chicago, IL: Even though Angela tried to return to work after suffering from postpartum depression, her boss advised that she apply for long term disability with Hartford Health Insurance. But Hartford didn’t agree with Angela’s boss.
September 14, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Wheeler v. Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Seeks LTD Benefits for Injured Seaman ]
San Diego, CA Christopher Wheeler was a Coxswain/Diesel mechanic, a contractor doing heavy physical work for the U.S. Navy Fifth Fleet. On March 17, 2015, he was badly injured during a storm at sea off Bahrain. Hospitals and rehab landed him a computer job for which he had no aptitude or training. When that didn’t work out, his employer, Exelis, Inc. terminated his employment and Metropolitan Life Insurance (MetLife) denied his long term disability benefit application. He filed a long term denied disability lawsuit on August 2, 2018 in the Southern District of California. California’s de novo standard for the review of disability claims under ERISA may work to Wheeler’s benefit.
- Dentist Claims Injury, Unum Claims Sickness to Deny By Jane Mundy (Sep-13-18)
- Aetna Denies Disability – Is there a Doctor in the House? By Jane Mundy (Sep-3-18)
- Disability Claims Consultant Explains Unum’s Latest Practice to Dispute or Deny Long Term Disability Benefits By Jane Mundy (Aug-14-18)
- Hartford Insurance Denies Disability Benefits and Pays Millions to bail out a town By Jane Mundy (Aug-13-18)
- Summary Judgment for Lincoln National in Barber v. Lincoln National Life Insurance Company By Anne Wallace (Jul-25-18)
- Court Orders Unum Doctor to Reveal How Much He Was Paid for His Opinion By Lori Prapas (Jul-17-18)
- Surveillance Sinks Liberty Mutual Long Term Denied Disability Lawsuits By Anne Wallace (Jul-12-18)
- MetLife Refuses to Disclose Background Claim Processing Principles By Anne Wallace (Jun-28-18)
- Big Law Employee Sues Unum Group for Denial of Benefits By Lori Prapas (Jun-22-18)
- Ninth Circuit Champions Wrongly Denied Disability Claimant By Anne Wallace (Jun-8-18)
- Unum Insurance Lawsuits Gain Momentum By Lori Prapas (May-18-18)
- Fibromyalgia sufferer wins denied disability claim lawsuit against Hartford By Anne Wallace (May-4-18)
- Another Chance after LTD Denial? Arbitrary and Capricious Standard Continues to Crumble in MetLife Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Apr-25-18)
- Unum: You Win Some, You Lose Some By Gordon Gibb (Mar-26-18)
- Liberty Mutual Administrator Must Consider Evidence of 'Broken Heart' By Anne Wallace (Mar-13-18)
- A Tale of Two Unum Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (Mar-12-18)
- A New Way for Unum Lawsuit Plaintiffs to Fight Biased Medical Review By Anne Wallace (Mar-5-18)
- Diagnosed with Lyme Disease, Plaintiff is Denied by Unum Disability Insurance By Gordon Gibb (Feb-14-18)
- Unum Sued for Denial of Disability Benefits By Gordon Gibb (Feb-12-18)
- Long Term Disability Denial Letter from Insurer is Not the End of the Road By Brenda Craig (Feb-8-18)
- How to Think Like a Plaintiff in a Unum Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Jan-24-18)
- New Year, New Unum Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Jan-12-18)
- Denied Disability Claimant Wins when Administrator Blows Deadline By Anne Wallace (Jan-10-18)
- Disabled Pediatrician Sues Unum for Denied Long Term Disability By Gordon Gibb (Dec-17-17)
- LTD Denial: Understanding "Own Occupation" vs "Any Occupation" By Gordon Gibb (Dec-6-17)
- How Unum LTD Denials Forced Statute Of Limitations Ruling Against Victim By Anne Wallace (Dec-1-17)
- Unum Accused of Denying Disability Benefits as Corporate Profits Rise By Gordon Gibb (Nov-14-17)
- Pennsylvania CIGNA Denied Disability Lawsuit Seeks Compensation By Gordon Gibb (Nov-12-17)
- Sun Life Denied Disability Benefits Lawsuit Settled Previously, But Issues Remained By Gordon Gibb (Nov-7-17)
- California ‘Bad Faith’ Claim in Disability Denial Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Oct-15-17)
- Unum Group Appears as Innocent Bystander in Insurance Denial Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Oct-13-17)
- Veterans Still Seeking Benefits Fifty One Years after Radiation Exposure By Gordon Gibb (Oct-5-17)
- Attorney Explains Difference between Definition of Disability By Jane Mundy (Sep-28-17)
- Aetna Long Term Disability Lawsuit Demonstrative of Dissatisfaction with Insurers By Gordon Gibb (Sep-8-17)
- LTD Plaintiff Breaks Through ERISA Barrier By Anne Wallace (Sep-4-17)
- Disability Insurance is not a Slam Dunk says Lawyer By Brenda Craig (Aug-15-17)
- Unum Lawsuits Face SSDI Offset Snag By Anne Wallace (Aug-13-17)
- Liberty Mutual Ignored Plaintiff’s Fibromyalgia: Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Aug-9-17)
- Guardian Denied Disability Lawsuit Goes to Mediation in Florida By Anne Wallace (Aug-8-17)
- The Tightrope Walked by Insurers Inevitably Discriminate Against Legitimate Claims By Gordon Gibb (Jul-25-17)