Long Term Disability Insurance Fraud
Policyholders purchase long-term disability insurance to protect themselves in the event they become disabled and can no longer carry out their job duties. Unfortunately, some long-term disability (LTD) policyholders have their disability claims improperly denied. Policyholders who have their long-term disability claim denied can appeal the decision, but should speak with an attorney first, to ensure their rights are protected throughout the process.
FREE LTD INSURANCE FRAUD LAWSUIT EVALUATION
GET LEGAL HELP NOW
Long-Term Disability and ERISA
Because of this, it is best to seek the assistance of a long-term disability attorney to help guide you through any issues you might face as you file your disability claim. Also, while ERISA laws were enacted to protect workers' rights, unfortunately, ERISA is known to favor the insurance companies.
Long-Term Disability Lawsuit
The administrative appeal, however, involves a great deal of paperwork, and you may be required to file one or more of these appeals. The paperwork filed in support of the appeal will be the only evidence considered for both the appeal and—if the appeal is denied—the lawsuit. All evidence—including medical records, expert opinions, and other supporting documentation—must be included in the administrative appeal or it will not be considered by the judge in a subsequent lawsuit.
If your long-term disability claim has been denied, you should first request a complete copy of your claims file from the plan administrator. Through ERISA, your insurance company is required to provide you with a copy of your claim file at no cost. This information is important to have in order for you to be able to identify and include additional evidence in your claim file. While the administrative appeal(s) needs to be exhausted according to ERISA, it is still wise to speak with a long-term disability lawyer to ensure you are following the LTD claim appeal process correctly, meeting your deadline dates, and adding as much supportive evidence to your claim file as possible.
Note, if the insurance is purchased directly by the policyholder, and not obtained through an employer's benefits plan, the policyholder can file a lawsuit without filing an appeal of the denial.
Policyholders have their insurance claims denied for many reasons. Sometimes the insurance company does not have an accurate picture of the claimant's work duties and believes the claimant can go back work. The insurance company might also claim that the policyholder is not as disabled as he or she claims, or that the claimed disability is not covered by the policy (this is sometimes the case with conditions such as fibromyalgia).
In other cases, insurance companies may claim not to have received important documentation or not received information from policyholder's medical care provider. Or the insurance company might claim the injury is pre-existing, there is no objective medical evidence for the claim, or that there is no injury at all.
One of the most common long-term disability denials, however, happens when the insurer claims that the LTD claim was filed too late. It is of utmost importance to ensure all key filing dates are met when filing your LTD claim.
Bad Faith Insurance
Bad faith insurance can also involve failing to promptly pay or investigate an insurance claim, not properly disclosing policy benefits, or failing to provide benefits as written in the insurance policy.
Long-Term Disability Companies
Among the long-term disability insurance companies are:
- Unum (previously called Unum Provident and First Unum), has faced lawsuits alleging improperly denying legitimate claims;
- Cigna, which in 2013 reached a regulatory settlement with five states who alleged the company was improperly handling claims;
- LINA (Life Insurance Company of North America, also operating under the CIGNA banner);
- Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Company;
- The Guardian Life Insurance Company of America;
- Liberty Mutual
- John Hancock Life Insurance Company;
- New York Life Insurance Company;
- MetLife (Metropolitan Life Insurance Company;
- Penn Mutual.
Long-Term Disability Insurance
Register your Long Term Care Disability Insurance ComplaintIf you have had a long term disability insurance policy falsely represented to you, or been denied a long term care disability insurance claim, you may qualify for damages or remedies that may be awarded in a long term disability fraud insurance lawsuit. Please click the link below to submit your complaint to an insurance lawyer for a free evaluation.
Last updated on
LTD INSURANCE FRAUD LAWSUITS
- Reliance Standard Life Insurance Company Denied Disability policyholders have filed denied disability lawsuits claiming bad faith tactics
- Guardian Life Insurance Denied Disability Lawsuits policyholders claim the insurer has wrongfully denied disability benefits by practicing bad faith insurance
- Liberty Mutual Denied Disability Lawsuits alleging bad faith insurance practices and denying long-term disability insurance.
- The Standard Long Term Disability Denial lawsuit alleging denied claims for legitimate claims
- Metlife Long Term Disability Denial lawsuit alleging denied claims for legitimate claims
- Hartford Long Term Disability Denial lawsuit alleging denied claims for legitimate claims
- Aetna Long Term Disability Denial lawsuitalleging denied claims for legitimate claims
- Cigna Long Term Disability Denial lawsuit alleging denied claims for legitimate claims
- Washington Long Term Disability Insurance alleging insurance fraud and denied claims.
- Oregon Long Term Disability Insurance alleging insurance fraud and denied claims.
- Idaho Long Term Disability Insurance alleging insurance fraud and denied claims.
- California Long Term Care Insurance alleging insurers negligently or fraudulently fail or refuse to pay benefits.
- CIGNA Denied Disability Insurance
- California Launches Investigation Into MetLife Death Payment Practices
- Sun Life Faces Potential Class Action Over Disability Contracts
- Long Term Care Insurance Las compañías de seguro para cuidados por largo plazo parecen estar negligentemente o fraudulentamente no pagando o negandose a pagar los beneficios.
- Denied Disability Insurance
- Unum Insurance for allegedly denying long-term disability claims.
LTD INSURANCE FRAUD LEGAL ARTICLES AND INTERVIEWS
Fibromyalgia Sufferer Brings LTD Lawsuit against Life Insurance Co. of North America
Unum’s Denial of Opioid Overdose Deaths
MORE LTD INSURANCE FRAUD LEGAL NEWS
READ MORE Insurance Settlements and Legal News