LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Emergency Room Charges Legal News Articles & Interviews
June 15, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ No Surprises Act to Eliminate ER Overcharges? ]
Santa Clara, CA Although the “No Surprises Act” will be in effect January 1, 2022, the first regulations are slated for July 2021. If all goes according to plan, patients to emergency rooms will no longer be hit with outrageous ER overcharges or receive surprise bills in the mail, mainly due to out of network treatment.
May 21, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Opportunity to Overcharge ]
Houston, TX Nick was working at his home office when he suddenly felt the left side of his body go numb and a searing pain in his lower back. “Thank God my wife was home. She drove me to the nearest urgent care center but a sign on the door said it was “running at capacity” and couldn’t see any patients that day,” says Nick. “We googled the nearest emergency room—at this point I was almost passing out. And I almost passed out two weeks later when my ER bill came in the mail. I’d heard about ER overcharges but this was ridiculous!”
April 14, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Overcharges Complaints Outrageous but True ]
Santa Clara, CA Many emergency room overcharges complaints submitted to LawyersandSettlements are so outrageous they seem fictional. Sadly, they are true. In each complaint below, the patient’s bill isn’t even close to the “going rate”.
April 1, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Overcharges Attorney Helps—if you are Committed ]
Los Angeles, CA Attorney Barry Kramer may be able to get your emergency room services reduced, but his goal is to change the hospital system and stop ER overcharges for everyone. If you think your hospital has overcharged you for their services and you’re willing to go the distance, and if you want to make a difference and help others, read on.
February 28, 2021. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Two Former Cardiologists Awarded $10.6 million for Reporting Patient Care Problems and Overcharging ]
Detroit, MI Tenet Healthcare was accused of acting with malice when a Michigan hospital demoted two cardiologists after the complained about cost-cutting measures, overcharging and substandard patient care. The doctors filed a False Claims lawsuit and retaliation is costly—to the tune of $10.6M.
June 16, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Insured Californians Getting Gouged by Out-of-Network Providers ]
Santa Clara, CA Back in 2017, a law was passed to protect Californians against surprise medical bills for non-emergency care. Before that, AB1611 was proposed: it was supposed to protect against emergency room overcharges but California consumers are still getting gouged by out-of-network providers.
May 14, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Getting Caught Can Reduce Emergency Room Overcharges ]
San Francisco, CA Last year Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital reduced a patient’s emergency room charges from $20,243 bill down to $200—after the patient, Nina Dang, contacted the media. She broke her arm on the pavement in a bike accident. Can’t reach the media? Of course lawyers experienced with negotiating ER overcharges can also substantially reduce hospital costs, both for insured and uninsured patients. “It’s frustrating that I have to hire a lawyer, but so far it’s been worth it,” said another ER patient, Alexa Sulvetta.
April 16, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Overcharges –Surprise! ]
Santa Clara, CA Almost one-third of Americans with health insurance who wind up in an emergency room find out after the fact that their health plan doesn’t cover as much as they thought. Given that there are about 140 million ER visits each year, and “surprise” emergency room charges are so frequent that 59 percent of Americans have been contacted by a debt collector and 16 percent of Americans’ credit reports include medical debt due to overdue medical bills, it’s not such as surprise that this debt totals about $81 billion.
April 5, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Emergency Room Overcharges with Coronavirus Test ]
Santa Clara, CA Despite the $2 trillion coronavirus aid package that includes over $100 billion for hospitals and medical needs, and despite a law signed by President Trump on March 18 that supposedly allows Americans to be tested for coronavirus free of charge, some patients now face emergency room overcharges. While the tests may be free, both insured and uninsured patients are still charged the ER visit to get the test. And keep in mind that insured patients visiting an emergency room during this crisis could face huge ER costs.
February 20, 2019. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Patients Battle Surprise Emergency Room Charges ]
Washington, DC Dr. Joaquin Lopez ‘s surprise emergency room bill came after he and his insurer had already paid $11,000 toward the cost of emergency gallbladder surgery. For dentist Brad Buckingham, who fell off his bicycle, the shock was a $70,000 bill to repair a broken hip. For Stacey Shapiro, it was a $6,720 emergency room fee to treat sudden spell of low blood sugar.
- Discrepancies in Emergency Room Overcharges Cause Frustration and Financial Woes By Jane Mundy (Feb-11-19)
- ER Charges: Underserved and Over-Charged thanks to Upcoding By Jane Mundy (Jan-10-19)
- Michigan Patient Billed Over $1,000 for Sitting in the Waiting Room By Gordon Gibb (Feb-23-18)
- Medical Billing and Hospital Overcharges - What Happened to the Hippocratic Oath of "first, do no harm"? By Jane Mundy (Feb-19-18)
- Are ER’s Cashing in on Upcoding? By Anne Wallace (Feb-3-18)
- Class Actions Get Relief for Uninsured and Overbilled Hospital Patients By Brenda Craig (Jan-25-18)
- Emergency Room Charges and What to Do About Them By Gordon Gibb (Jan-14-18)
- ER Bills and Hospital Overcharging: It’s Not Getting Any Better By Gordon Gibb (Oct-30-17)
- Advocacy Often the Difference between Fair Billing and Getting Fleeced By Gordon Gibb (Dec-26-16)
- ER Hospital Overcharges: Bat Bite Cost Uninsured $40K By Jane Mundy (Dec-18-16)
- Hospital Overcharges Up in the Air By Jane Mundy (Dec-8-16)
- Hospital Overcharging Made Worse by Out-of-Network Practitioners By Gordon Gibb (Nov-29-16)
- If You’re Uninsured Hospital Overcharges can Ruin Your Credit, and More… By Jane Mundy (Nov-22-16)
- Two hour Emergency Room Charge more than 7-star Hotel By Jane Mundy (Nov-7-16)
- Uninsured Patients in Greater Danger of Hospital Overcharges By Gordon Gibb (Oct-28-16)
- Don’t Let Unpaid Hospital Bills Ruin Your Life By Brenda Craig (Oct-16-16)
- Hospital Overcharges: Attorney Can Help Uninsured By Jane Mundy (Sep-29-16)
- “I Might Have to Start Stripping to Pay My ER Overcharges Bill” By Jane Mundy (Oct-17-15)
- Emergency Room Overcharges Lawsuit Filed By Jane Mundy (Sep-20-15)
- ER Charge for Splinter Removal: Cha-Ching! By Jane Mundy (Aug-14-15)
- ER Overcharges Case? Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (Jul-7-15)
- Hospitals Raise ER Overcharges By Jane Mundy (Jun-6-15)
- Emergency Room Overcharges Start with Getting There By Jane Mundy (May-16-15)
- Canadians Are Targets for Emergency Room Overcharges By Jane Mundy (Apr-28-15)
- Hospital Overcharging Included $2,500 Billed for Individual Surgical Screws By Gordon Gibb (Mar-15-15)
- Outrageous Emergency Room Overcharges for Uninsured By Jane Mundy (Feb-26-15)
- ER Overcharges: Better to Seek Treatment Elsewhere By Jane Mundy (Jan-25-15)
- Emergency Room Charges: A Popsicle, Exam & Quick Fix for $10,000 By Gordon Gibb (Jan-7-15)
- ER Overcharges Bill Warrants Heart Attack By Jane Mundy (Dec-28-14)
- Patients Allege Excessive Fees Linked to ER Care By Heidi Turner (Dec-13-14)
- Emergency Room Overcharges Attorney: Overcharging Uninsured “Almost a National Scandal” By Heidi Turner (Nov-23-14)
- Proposed Florida Class-Action ER Charges Lawsuit Expands By Gordon Gibb (Oct-27-14)
- Attorney: Hospital ER Overcharges “Unfair” By Heidi Turner (Oct-8-14)
- Predatory ER Overcharges and Hospital Overbilling Has to Stop By Gordon Gibb (Oct-3-14)
- “I’d Rather Pay an Attorney Than the Hospital for ER Overcharges” By Jane Mundy (Apr-3-14)
- Hounded by Swedish Medical Center for ER Overcharges Payment By Jane Mundy (Mar-1-14)
- Victim: “Get an Attorney before ER Overcharges Bankrupt You” By Jane Mundy (Feb-12-14)
- ER Overcharges for Services Not Rendered By Jane Mundy (Jan-27-14)
- Hospital Overcharging Comes in Many Forms By Gordon Gibb (Jan-14-14)
- Hospital Overcharges: Bill for Broken Leg Comes In At $63,000 By Gordon Gibb (Dec-24-13)