LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Bad Faith Insurance Legal News Articles & Interviews
September 24, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Prosthetic Denial Lawsuits Filed against UnitedHealth Group and Anthem under ERISA ]
Santa Clara, CA: Prosthetics with a variety of microprocessors are the new “wearable technology” and they’re making headlines. Companies have designed the devices with
September 20, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Amputees Fighting for Insurance Coverage Get Tips from Blue Cross Antitrust Lawsuit ]
Wilmington, DE As amputees fight for insurance coverage for advanced, microprocessor- assisted prostheses, it can help to look at other insurance lawsuits that describe a similar pattern of claims denials.
September 13, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Dentist Claims Injury, Unum Claims Sickness to Deny ]
San Diego, CA: A dental surgeon has filed a bad faith lawsuit against Unum, or First Unum after the giant insurer denied his long term disability benefits claiming his injury is a sickness. The Unum lawsuit claims that Unum denied the dentist his rightful benefits to protect their own interests.
September 4, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Amputees’ Fight for Insurance Coverage Focuses on ‘Medical Necessity’ of Microprocessor Prosthetics ]
Washington, DC Lucky to live, unlucky to lose a foot or a leg, survivors of the Boston Marathon bombing soon found themselves facing the harsh truth of inadequate insurance coverage for their prosthetic care. Years on, the good news is that microprocessor-enhanced artificial limbs have gotten better. The bad news is that insurance companies like Anthem and United Healthcare still balk at paying for them. Insurance lawsuits since then have taken particular aim at the internal review standards insurers use to determine whether a medical treatment or device is “medically necessary.” The standards do not line up with what amputees need most and what these modern devices can really do. Cost cutting vs. good health – it’s the match of the century.
August 21, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Lawsuits Brewing over Insurance Denials for “Smart” Prostheses ]
Los Angeles, CA In California and other states, amputees are denied insurance coverage for modern prostheses. These legs and ankles are hugely better than the old titanium alloy stilts because of their microprocessors. Lt. Dan was glad to stand with his bride, but imagine running up the stairs or dancing at a Gump-ish wedding. Nonetheless, Anthem, United Healthcare and other insurers plead shock, confusion, and a general lack of evidence when asked to pay for the more modern prosthetics. The ensuing insurance lawsuits have taken aim at the insurers’ claims that the advanced prostheses are not medically necessary or still experimental.
August 6, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Anthem Denials of Emergency Room CT Scans and MRIs; Patients Sent to Clinics ]
Washington, DC In July 2018, the American College of Emergency Physicians filed an insurance lawsuit against Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield over the insurer’s new policy of denying emergency room coverage after the fact. As a subpart of the strategy, Anthem refuses claims for in-hospital CT scans and MRIs ordered in the course of emergency diagnosis and treatment. The lawsuit focuses on the harm the policy does to patients. But it also shines a light on the damage that Anthem’s plan does to hospitals and the wider healthcare system.
July 28, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Sen. McCaskill Probes Anthem Emergency Room Coverage Denials ]
Washington, DC On July 17, 2018 Sen. Claire McCaskill’s office released a report detailing the results of an investigation into Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield’s efforts to cut costs by denying emergency room coverage after the fact. Many of these insurance claim denials were eventually reversed. But Anthem may have succeeded in its overall goal of dissuading patients from seeking emergency care. A bad faith insurance lawsuit filed with California’s Department of Managed Health Care further shows how a combination of intimidation and delay can wear patients down. The good news, though, is that claimants who persist often win.
July 18, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Anthem Refuses to Cover Emergency Room Care After the Fact ]
Sacramento, CA Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield denies emergency room coverage for patients whose symptoms later prove to have been non-life threatening. This has been a long-standing practice, but it is now official policy in six states. Are California patients protected under California insurance law?
December 14, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Trenton, NJ: Plaintiffs who bring home warranty lawsuits against home warranty companies commonly assert allegations of shoddy workmanship, delays or denials of claims. However in this case, the plaintiff alleged violations to New Jersey’s Consumer Fraud Act and Truth in Consumer Contract, Warrant and Notice Act with regard to a contract that was allegedly misleading in stated coverage periods, amongst other claims.Read [ Home Warranty Lawsuit Goes to the New Jersey Supreme Court ]
November 8, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Coquitlam, BC: The machinations and frustrations experienced by homeowners dealing with home warranty insurance is reflected in the dealings of one Canadian couple who told Global News last year that success with a home warranty provider appears to hinge on the capacity for a homeowner to push the envelope and make noise – through a home warranty lawsuit perhaps, or otherwise – in order to have any success with a claim.Read [ Canadian Couple’s Fight against Home Warranty Insurance a Full Time Job ]
- Long-Suffering Homeowners Hoping to Pursue Home Warranty Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Oct-8-17)
- R. Rex Parris Law Firm settles insurance bad faith case for $15,000,000 (Oct-8-16)
- Consumers Hit with Massive Universal Life Premiums Join Class Action By Gordon Gibb (Sep-25-16)
- Legacy of the California EDD: Quick to Deny, Slow to Appeal By Gordon Gibb (Apr-13-16)
- California Unemployment Appeal Not the End of the Road By Heidi Turner (Apr-1-16)
- Denied California Unemployment Insurance? Call in the Experts… By Gordon Gibb (Mar-25-16)
- California Workers Denied Unemployment Benefits Entitled to Appeal By Heidi Turner (Mar-16-16)
- Did Your Insurer Deal with You in Bad Faith? By Brenda Craig (Feb-20-16)
- Anthem Blue Cross Faces Hepatitis C Claims By Heidi Turner (Dec-10-15)
- Florida Couple Recovers $14.5 in Bad Faith Case Against Geico By The National Trial Lawyers (Nov-14-15)
- Tracy Morgan Accident Results in Bad Faith Insurance Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Oct-28-15)
- Smart Strategies for Maximizing Insurance Claims in Road Accidents By Brenda Craig (Sep-21-15)
- Persistence Pays Off for Chapel Hill Extended Warranty Plaintiffs By Gordon Gibb (Feb-17-15)
- Home Warranty Insurance and the Manufactured Home By Gordon Gibb (Nov-23-14)
- Home Warranty Complaints Top Popular Online Resource By Gordon Gibb (Oct-28-14)
- New Jersey Sues Home Warranty Insurance Provider By Gordon Gibb (Sep-19-14)
- Plaintiff’s Home Warranty Insurance Win Overturned by State Supreme Court By Gordon Gibb (Aug-24-14)
- Lawsuits and Consumer Reporters Fight Home Warranty Companies By Heidi Turner (Jul-24-14)
- Hillside Home Appears to Be Sloping Downward, Owners Sue Contractor, Insurer By Gordon Gibb (Jun-29-14)
- Cautionary Tale for Life Insurance Customers By Brenda Craig (Jun-21-14)
- Home Warranty Options Sometimes Limited, but Not Impossible By Gordon Gibb (May-19-14)
- Customer Says She Unknowingly Paid for Home Warranty Insurance By Heidi Turner (Apr-1-14)
- Plaintiffs Seeking $22 Million in Home Warranty Insurance Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Mar-3-14)
- Consumers with Home Warranties Find Repairs Hard to Come By By Heidi Turner (Feb-4-14)
- Plaintiff to State Supreme Court Over Home Cladding Issue By Gordon Gibb (Jan-9-14)
- Home Warranties Leaving Policyholders Out of Pocket By Heidi Turner (Dec-27-13)
- Bizarre Tale of Attempted Murder, Mayhem, Bankruptcy and Bad Faith Insurance By Gordon Gibb (Nov-30-13)
- Canadian Sues, While US Disco Diva Says “I Will Survive” in Court By Gordon Gibb (Oct-22-13)
- When It Comes to Home Warranty Companies, Not All Are Created Equal By Heidi Turner (Sep-27-13)
- With Home Warranties, Getting to Home Base Not Necessarily a Home Run By Gordon Gibb (Aug-25-13)
- Increased Disability with Diabetes - Will This Affect Disability Insurance Claims? By Lucy Campbell (Jul-26-13)
- A Home Warranty Insurance Story with a Twist By Gordon Gibb (Jul-3-13)
- When an Extended Home Warranty Extends Nothing but Frustration By Gordon Gibb (Jun-3-13)
- Do Consumers Need Home Warranty Insurance? By Heidi Turner (May-3-13)
- A Tale of Two Home Warranty Insurance Claims By Gordon Gibb (Apr-9-13)
- Dealing with Home Warranty Issues By Heidi Turner (Mar-31-13)
- When Home Warranties Go Wrong By Heidi Turner (Feb-17-13)
- Overturning ERISA and the Supreme Court Update By Jane Mundy (Feb-3-13)
- Home Warranty Lawsuits: Not All Appliances Created Equal By Heidi Turner (Jan-8-13)
- Consumers Unhappy with Home Warranty Companies By Heidi Turner (Dec-10-12)