LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATIONHome Page >> Legal News Articles
Legal News ArticlesNews articles include info about lawsuits filed, settlements reached and verdicts rendered in legal cases dealing with personal injury news, defective product news, bad drugs news and other news issues. Also listed are news interviews from people who have had their lives forever changed by bad drugs, investment fraud, personal injury, defective products and negligent employers - their only hope the lawyers willing to fight to protect their rights and bring them justice.
Hacks, Embezzlements, and 401(k) Mismanagement – What You Can Do to Protect Your Retirement Nest Egg
November 17, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Washington, DC When asked why he robbed banks, Willie Sutton reportedly replied, “Because that’s where the money is.” Now, however, roughly $5 trillion, or a fifth of all U.S. retirement assets, sit in 401(k) accounts. Today’s Willie Suttons are there, too, as recent ERISA lawsuits and criminal prosecutions confirm.
November 16, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Los Angeles, CA On September 14, 2018 Marisa Finnerty filed a long term denied disability lawsuit against the Life Insurance Company of North America (LINA), alleging that she had been wrongly denied benefits under her employer, Quest Diagnostics’, long term disability and group life insurance plans. Two things stand out about this lawsuit.
November 15, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
New Orleans, LA: The giant insurance company Unum—also known as First Unum -- typically denies accidental death benefits (as do most other life insurance companies) by excluding in their policy coverage for deaths related to prescription overdose or for medical or surgical treatment of a sickness or disease. But Unum’s denial didn’t sway Judge Martin Feldman this past August.
November 14, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Sacramento, CA: On the heels of the #MeToo movement, California is providing more protection for sexual harassment victims by amending the California labor law, specifically Civil Code Section 47. The goal of the new bill is to encourage more victims of sexual harassment to come forward. And more corporations are eliminating mandatory arbitration agreements for harassment claims: potentially more victims will have their day in court.
November 12, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Sacramento, CA: Workers in the U.S. who received psychotherapy through their employers’ plans with United Healthcare Insurance Co. and United Behavioral Health (UBH) in California have filed a proposed class action, claiming the insurers have violated mental health laws
November 8, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Los Angeles, CA More than a decade ago truck drivers filed a California wage lawsuit against J.B. Hunt Transport, an Arkansas trucking company, claiming the company violated California's wages, rest break and meal rules. Since that time, the class action lawsuit has been the subject of recent debates over when – and whether-- federal rules regarding driver work should pre-empt state regulations.
November 5, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
San Francisco, CA Cosmetics retailer, Sephora, has recently found itself embroiled in several California unpaid wages lawsuits. The allegations are similar from lawsuit to lawsuit, and so are the plaintiffs’ evidentiary problems.
November 3, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Sacramento, CA: Diva Limousine has sued Uber over California labor law violations, alleging state unfair competition. Their lawyers--who filed a motion for partial summary judgement early October—are counting on a California Supreme Court decision making it more difficult for employers to misclassify drivers as independent contractors rather than hourly employees.
October 23, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Sherman, TX Johnson v. UnitedHealthcare raises more questions than it answers about how ERISA protects health plan participants who bring bad faith insurance lawsuits over denied medical claims. Stephen Johnson had more than his share of hardship. The law hasn’t helped him. But it’s a complicated story that will affect claimants and health insurers denying medical claims in California and throughout the country. So hang on.
October 23, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
San Jose, CA Cheryl Fillekes’s age discrimination lawsuit against Google alleges violations of the federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) and corresponding provisions of California labor law, the Fair Housing and Employment Discrimination Act (FEHA). Having cleared the hurdle of class action certification, it now appears poised to settle.
- Tennessee Minimum Wage Too Low for Many By Jane Mundy (Oct-22-18)
- Judge Upends $289 Million Monsanto Roundup Cancer Award By Anne Wallace (Oct-19-18)
- Victory for Tipped Employees -- Bad News for Tennessee Based Restaurant Chain By Jane Mundy (Oct-18-18)
- Fidelity Faces Self-Dealing Lawsuit over 401(k) Plan Mismanagement By Anne Wallace (Oct-18-18)
- New Jersey Win for Johnson & Johnson and Los Angeles Mistrials in Asbestos –Mesothelioma Cancer Talc Trials By Jane Mundy (Oct-17-18)
- 401(k) Lawsuit Continues against Franklin Templeton By Anne Wallace (Oct-15-18)
- UNUM LTD Claimants Must Beware of Exhaustion of Remedies Roadblock By Anne Wallace (Oct-15-18)
- Los Angeles Sweatshops Cited for Wage and Hour Violations By Anne Wallace (Oct-14-18)
- Donning and Doffing in Tennessee – Clothes or Protective Equipment? By Jane Mundy (Oct-12-18)
- Google Gmail is “Creepy”, says a Non-Gmail User Filing Complaint By Jane Mundy (Oct-11-18)
- Mother with Post-Partum Depression Denied Disability Benefits by Hartford By Jane Mundy (Oct-10-18)
- Wage Theft Investigations at California Restaurants By Jane Mundy (Oct-8-18)
- Skirting around Donning and Doffing By Jane Mundy (Oct-4-18)
- Digital Federal Credit Union Snared in Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Oct-3-18)
- California Donning and Doffing on the Clock? By Jane Mundy (Sep-26-18)
- Cash America Pawn Managers Deserve Overtime, Too By Jane Mundy (Sep-25-18)
- Prosthetic Denial Lawsuits Filed against UnitedHealth Group and Anthem under ERISA By Jane Mundy (Sep-24-18)
- Trunk Club Settles California Unpaid Wages Lawsuit for $1.75 Million By Anne Wallace (Sep-21-18)
- Amputees Fighting for Insurance Coverage Get Tips from Blue Cross Antitrust Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Sep-20-18)
- Exotic Dancers Bring California Labor Lawsuit to Recover Back Wages By Anne Wallace (Sep-18-18)
- Valsartan Recall Lawsuits Filed over Alleged Carcinogenic Contaminants By Anne Wallace (Sep-17-18)
- Employment Attorney Alan Crone Discusses Main Reasons for Overtime Complaints By Jane Mundy (Sep-14-18)
- Google Mail California Claims Expire end of September: File Now, Attorney Urges By Jane Mundy (Sep-14-18)
- Wheeler v. Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Seeks LTD Benefits for Injured Seaman By Anne Wallace (Sep-14-18)
- Dentist Claims Injury, Unum Claims Sickness to Deny By Jane Mundy (Sep-13-18)
- New California Class Action Lawsuit Targets Deceptive Bank Fees By Anne Wallace (Sep-11-18)
- Talcum Cancer Lawsuit in California Based on Trust By Jane Mundy (Sep-10-18)
- California Court Saves Class Action Wage Claims from Forced Arbitration By Anne Wallace (Sep-7-18)
- Are Tutors Independent Contractors or Employees Under the California Labor Code? By Jane Mundy (Sep-6-18)
- Amputees’ Fight for Insurance Coverage Focuses on ‘Medical Necessity’ of Microprocessor Prosthetics By Anne Wallace (Sep-4-18)
- Aetna Denies Disability – Is there a Doctor in the House? By Jane Mundy (Sep-3-18)
- CFPB Moves to Protect Students from Overdraft Fees By Anne Wallace (Aug-28-18)
- Lawsuits Brewing over Insurance Denials for “Smart” Prostheses By Anne Wallace (Aug-21-18)
- H&M Plaintiffs Rely on Starbucks Workers’ Win To Bolster Case By Lori Prapas (Aug-19-18)
- Will the New Asbestos Regulation Put the Public at Risk? By Jane Mundy (Aug-17-18)
- Retail giant Target Settles California Labor Lawsuits over Cashier Seating for $9 million. By Jane Mundy (Aug-16-18)
- Landmark Credit Union Settles Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Aug-15-18)
- Cash America Pawn, or First Cash Management Facing Overtime Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Aug-14-18)
- Disability Claims Consultant Explains Unum’s Latest Practice to Dispute or Deny Long Term Disability Benefits By Jane Mundy (Aug-14-18)
- Hartford Insurance Denies Disability Benefits and Pays Millions to bail out a town By Jane Mundy (Aug-13-18)