Medical Billing and Hospital Overcharges - What Happened to the Hippocratic Oath of "first, do no harm"?
February 19, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Tampa, FL: Attorney Ben Stewart is seeing an increase in hospital overcharging, mostly to uninsured people. "Look carefully at your medical bills. If you have been overcharged and have either started a payment schedule or completed payment, you may be entitled to monetary damages," says Stewart.Read [ Medical Billing and Hospital Overcharges - What Happened to the Hippocratic Oath of "first, do no harm"? ]
February 13, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Southlake, TX: Some DePuy ASR hip replacement patients are having problems finding a surgeon to perform revision surgery. Besides having to deal with a defective medical device, surgeons are in a dilemma and the FDA could have done more to help patients.Read [ Houston, We Have a Problem with DePuy ASR Hip Replacement ]
February 8, 2018. By Brenda Craig.
Minneapolis, MN Disability insurance is intended to help individuals through rough spots, providing them with income when health problems keep them off the job. However, insurance companies are big corporations concerned about their bottom line. Unless policy holders can stand up to the insurance company's strict requirements during the critical cross over period from short term disability to long term disability there is a risk the benefits will be denied.Read [ Long Term Disability Denial Letter from Insurer is Not the End of the Road ]
February 2, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Cranston, RI: When Lori was hospitalized for a back injury 40 years ago, she was given Demerol injections and sent home with a host of opioid painkillers and sedatives. “I became physically dependent, with an unlimited supply of drugs prescribed mostly by one doctor,” Lori says. “For many years I was non-functional and depressed, and a single mother. I am lucky to be alive.”Read [ Social Worker and Mother in Recovery 30 years from Opioid Prescriptions, Son Died from Overdose ]
January 25, 2018. By Brenda Craig.
Los Angeles, CA: There is an increasing amount of evidence to show that charges for emergency room treatment in American hospitals varies, and varies widely. One hospital might charge $1,000 for a particular test or treatment while another hospital might charge $12,000 for the exact same services.Read [ Class Actions Get Relief for Uninsured and Overbilled Hospital Patients ]
January 21, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Houston, TX: Although Jordan will receive compensation from Boston Scientific for transvaginal mesh injuries, she says the settlement cannot cover the collateral damage suffered not only by her injuries but also by her family.Read [ Transvaginal Mesh Collateral Damage Too High for TVM Settlement ]
January 8, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Orlando, FL:At the beginning of last year, Takata—the automotive parts company behind the largest automotive recall in the nation’s history—entered into a plea agreement with the United States Department of Justice (DOJ). The company then declared bankruptcy a few months later, setting off an avalanche of legal filings throughout the world, with an international corporate restructuring effort continuing to this day. “It’s critical to remember that as this process plays out, consumers have and will continue to be hurt and killed by rupturing airbags,” says attorney Frank Melton of Newsome Melton, PA.Read [ The Future of Takata Airbag Claims ]
December 29, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Washington, D.C. A new report from Pew Charitable Trusts released on December 20, 2017 documents the burden overdraft fees continue to place on the shoulders of consumers. Although the banking industry has made some voluntary changes regarding overdraft fees Pew reports that American consumers are still paying $14 billion annually in overdraft fees.Read [ Overdraft Fees Chewing Up Consumers ]
December 14, 2017. By Anne Wallace.
Dallas, TX: The US Federal Drug Administration (FDA) first raised serious questions about the safety and effectiveness of transvaginal mesh implants in 2008. Much has happened since then -- studies and recalls and thousands of lawsuits. But women still suffer serious and painful pelvic mesh complications, which may take years to manifest. According to attorney and physician Dr. Shezad Malik, the most important thing women should know is that “it’s not too late to file a lawsuit or get involved in a settlement program because this is a device that will continue to cause problems for the rest of this decade.”Read [ Not Too Late for Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuit ]
December 12, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Ridgeland, MO: Next year and the year after, St. Louis, Missouri will be the venue for a massive showdown in the courts between Johnson & Johnson and the hundreds of women who have filed lawsuits alleging there is a direct relationship between their ovarian cancer and the use of talcum powder-based products manufactured and sold by Johnson and Johnson.Read [ The Talcum Powder Cases Heading for Massive Trials Next Year ]
- Untold Story of Opioid Epidemic: Attorney Explains Kickbacks and Billing Fraud By Anne Wallace (Nov-27-17)
- Georgia Widow Sues Hospital for Bedsores By Brenda Craig (Nov-17-17)
- Pacific Western Bank Shorted Workers OT Pay Lawsuit Alleges By Brenda Craig (Nov-16-17)
- Bedbug Victims Bite Back By Brenda Craig (Nov-11-17)
- Attorney Estimates California Wildfire Damage is in the Billions By Brenda Craig (Nov-10-17)
- Lawsuit Alleges Hormone Coated Mirena IUD Can Lead to Blindness By Brenda Craig (Nov-9-17)
- Mesothelioma Victims and Their Families Win Lawsuits against Insulation Supplier By Brenda Craig (Oct-31-17)
- Airbag Attorney Urges Everyone to Check their Vehicles—You May Be in Danger By Jane Mundy (Oct-17-17)
- East Texas County Joins Legal War Against Opioid Manufacturers By Brenda Craig (Oct-12-17)
- California Workers Get Protection from Employer Retaliation By Brenda Craig (Oct-11-17)
- Attorney Explains Difference between Definition of Disability By Jane Mundy (Sep-28-17)
- Insurers Seek Compensation from St. Jude’s Medical in Class Action Lawsuit By Brenda Craig (Sep-22-17)
- Tristar Pressure Cooker Company and Texas Couple Reach Settlement By Brenda Craig (Sep-10-17)
- New Information Shown to Jury Produced Record Talc Verdict By Brenda Craig (Aug-30-17)
- Disability Insurance is not a Slam Dunk says Lawyer By Brenda Craig (Aug-15-17)
- Cancer Patient Files Lawsuit for Delayed Diagnosis By Brenda Craig (Aug-14-17)
- Deadline Set in $300 Million Settlement in Benicar Lawsuit – Short Window! By Brenda Craig (Aug-10-17)
- Tipsters Play Huge Role in Rooting Out Financial Fraud By Brenda Craig (Aug-2-17)
- ‘Back the Blue Bill’ Will Crush Civil Rights/Wrongful Death Lawsuits By Brenda Craig (Aug-1-17)
- Hip Replacement and Cobalt Poisoning misdiagnosed as Alzheimer's By Jane Mundy (Aug-1-17)
- Healthcare Fraudsters Caught in Giant DOJ Sweep By Brenda Craig (Jul-30-17)
- Giant Catering Company in California Labor Dispute By Brenda Craig (Jul-29-17)
- Wrongful Death Suit Filed After Cops Shoot Woman with Bipolar Disorder 33 Times By Brenda Craig (Jul-28-17)
- Not-Ready-for-Market Herbicide Kills Farmers’ Crops By Brenda Craig (Jul-26-17)
- Attorney discusses the California Employment Lawsuit and Settlement in Augustus v ABM Security Services By Jane Mundy (Jul-19-17)
- Illinois Fights Opioid Crisis with Class Action Suit By Brenda Craig (Jul-19-17)
- You Can Fight Back Against Denied Disability Claims By Brenda Craig (Jul-11-17)
- Amazon California Labor Lawsuit: Plaintiff’s Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (Jul-9-17)
- Party Animal “Cocolicious” Dog Food Subject of Class Action By Brenda Craig (Jul-1-17)
- Hip Replacement Patient says Better Off Without By Jane Mundy (Jun-28-17)
- FDA Black Box Warning Adds Fuel to Invokana Lawsuits By Brenda Craig (Jun-24-17)
- Financial Choice Act Threat to Consumer Litigation say Critics By Brenda Craig (Jun-19-17)
- The Best Strategy for Dealing with Proof of Disability Letters By Brenda Craig (Jun-7-17)
- Botched Circumcision Case in Discovery By Brenda Craig (Jun-7-17)
- MDL Plaintiffs Increasing in Alleged Viagra Melanoma Connection Lawsuit By Brenda Craig (Jun-1-17)
- Deadly Drugs and Devices Report by AAJ is a Must Read for Women By Brenda Craig (May-28-17)
- Claims against Xarelto Due to Be Tested in Court Again By Brenda Craig (May-28-17)
- Retaliation to be added to Tesla Inc. Workplace Racial Discrimination Suit By Brenda Craig (May-26-17)
- Generic Docetaxel Inclusion in Taxotere MDL Significant Departure By Brenda Craig (May-24-17)
- Consumer and Legal Advocates Concerned About Potential Threats to Class Action Lawsuits By Brenda Craig (May-23-17)