LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
PPH and Fen-Phen Legal News Articles & Interviews
February 16, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ The Lasting Legacy of Fen-Phen ]
Los Angeles, CA Ask anyone who was at all concerned about their weight in the mid-to-late ’90s and they’ll likely remember the fen-phen debacle: A weight loss drug that came with an increased risk of serious heart and lung problems. Those problems - primary pulmonary hypertension (now called pulmonary atrial hypertension) and/or heart valve problems - were the basis of many a fen-phen lawsuit. Thanks to those problems, diet drugs today are looked at skeptically by everyone from patients to health care providers.
January 28, 2015. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Cardiologist Prescribed Fen-Phen ]
St Louis, MI Marty’s Fen-Phen side effects weren’t serious enough to qualify for a Fen-Phen lawsuit back in 2002, but his symptoms, namely primary pulmonary hypertension (PPH), have since worsened. Marty also thought he couldn’t file a claim against the makers of the weight loss drug due to the statute of limitations. Because there is a latency period of PPH, the statute doesn’t necessarily apply.
January 11, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Fen-Phen Side Effects and PPH: After All This Time, There Is Still Hope ]
Philadelphia, PA Remember Fen-Phen? Sure you do, especially if you were overweight in the 1990s and looking for a quick and easy way to shed the excess pounds from all that fast food, combined with lack of exercise. Fen-Phen, a hybrid of fenfluramine and phentermine, had been given the blessing of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and was touted as the miracle cure of the time for obesity.
December 12, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Statute of Limitations in Fen-Phen Lawsuits Ongoing ]
Philadelphia, PA Many patients who took fen-phen and suffered fen-phen side effects such as primary pulmonary hypertension may have already settled their lawsuits against the company responsible for making the diet drug. Because fen-phen was pulled off the market so long ago, people might feel that lawsuits should already have been filed, and certainly some have. But for some patients, the statute of limitations has not yet run out.
July 14, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Fen-Phen Controversy Spans Decades ]
Philadelphia, PA With recent news that obesity has been declared a disease come concerns that the focus now will be on drug companies creating a pill to cure obesity. That may sound well and good, but talk to anyone who suffered from fen-phen side effects, including persistent pulmonary hypertension, after taking the fen-phen diet pill, and they will tell you that obesity drugs may not be all they are cracked up to be.
June 30, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Fen-Phen’s Deadly Side Effects a Decade Later ]
Philadelphia, PA Imagine taking a medication and finding out later that it could cause serious health problems, and even death, years and years after you have originally taken it. That is what patients who took fen-phen for weight loss are dealing with. They know they could be at risk for primary pulmonary hypertension and valve problems, and they know those problems could arise at any time. They also know there is nothing they can do to prevent these fen-phen side effects from happening, even though it’s been a decade since they took the medication.
May 15, 2013. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Fen-Phen Still Counting Victims and Fen-Phen Lawsuits ]
Dallas, TX When it comes to Fen-Phen, “it ain’t over til I’m over,” says Rosemary, who was recently diagnosed with primary pulmonary hypertension, or Fen-Phen PPH in Fen-Phen consumers.
February 16, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Fen-Phen Lawsuits Still Working Their Way through Courts ]
Philadelphia, PA Although it has been years since Fen-Phen pills were taken off the market, Fen-Phen lawsuits continue to work their way through the courts. The lawsuits, filed against Pfizer, allege Fen-Phen side effects included a life-threatening condition known as primary pulmonary hypertension (PPH).
January 25, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Are Fen-Phen Pills Back? You Would be Half-Right… ]
Washington, DC Fen-Phen, at one time a miracle weight loss drug that was pulled from the market due to grievous health concerns years ago, is back in part. That’s because the particular combination of Fenfluramine and Phentermine proved to be toxic, primarily due to the first ingredient, Fenfluramine. Phentermine, at the time and even now, was not seen to be a culprit. And so Phentermine is back, this time married to the anti-seizure medication Topiramate to promote weight loss. But some familiar concerns, akin to PPH and Fen-Phen, are back.
December 14, 2012. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Fen-Phen Lawsuits and Settlements Revisited ]
Charleston, WV “I used to work in a prosecutor’s office and like to keep up on legal news,” says Patricia, age 65 and a former Fen-phen consumer. “I subscribe to the LawyersandSettlements newsletter and that is how I discovered that you could re-open a Fen-phen claim—even if you settled. But I never filed a claim to begin with. I thought it had been completely settled-- now I am totally surprised.
- Fen-Phen Users Encouraged to Watch for Heart Symptoms By Heidi Turner (Nov-13-12)
- The Fen-Phen Saga By Heidi Turner (Oct-11-12)
- PPH And Fen-Phen Leave Bitter Aftertaste Years Down the Road By Gordon Gibb (Sep-20-12)
- Fen-Phen Claims Will Stand, Judge Orders By Lucy Campbell (Sep-6-12)
- Lawyer who won $1 billion Fen-Phen settlement dies By Charles Benson (Nov-9-09)
- PPH and Fen-Phen Research Ongoing By Jane Mundy (Nov-7-09)
- Nurse took Fen-phen, Diagnosis PPH By Jane Mundy (Oct-26-09)
- Banned Herbal Fen-phen / Ephedra Still Lurking in Cyberspace By Gordon Gibb (Oct-18-09)
- Fen-Phen lawsuit lawyer recommended for permanent disbar By Charles Benson (Oct-8-09)
- "I'm Worried that Phentermine is Linked to PPH" By Jane Mundy (Oct-4-09)
- Fen-Phen User's PPH Misdiagnosed as Asthma By Jane Mundy (Sep-25-09)
- Fen-Phen is Dead, But Phentermine Lives On By Gordon Gibb (Sep-17-09)
- Is Phentermine Just as Dangerous as Fen-Phen? By Jane Mundy (Sep-8-09)
- Diet Watch: Fen-Phen Fat Cats and Alli-Oop(s) By Gordon Gibb (Aug-28-09)
- Fen-phen User's Cause of Death: PPH By Jane Mundy (Aug-16-09)
- PPH and Fen-Phen: Herbal Recipe Just as Dangerous By Jane Mundy (Aug-9-09)
- It May Be Banned, But PPH and Fen-Phen Still an Issue By Gordon Gibb (Jul-27-09)
- PPH and Fen-Phen Victim Regrets Settlement By Jane Mundy (Jul-19-09)
- PPH and Fen-Phen Lawsuits: Round Two By Jane Mundy (Jul-9-09)
- Is Herbal Fen-Phen Just as Bad as the Banned Fen-Phen? By Gordon Gibb (Jun-30-09)
- Interview with PPH attorney David Friend By Jane Mundy (Jun-19-09)
- PPH: Could Fen-phen Come Back? By Gordon Gibb (Aug-4-08)
- PPH Denial By Jane Mundy (Jul-31-08)
- "Losing Weight wasn't worth taking Fen-Phen: PPH was the Outcome" By Jane Mundy (Jul-22-08)
- PPH: People Who Lost Pounds Now Losing Their Lives By Gordon Gibb (Jul-17-08)
- PPH and Fen-Phen: One Plaintiff's Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Jul-1-08)
- PPH and more After Five Years on Fen-Phen By Lucy Campbell (Jun-18-08)
- PPH Diagnosis "Out of the Blue" By Jane Mundy (Jun-9-08)
- PPH: "I'd take Gastric Bypass Surgery over Fen-Phen" By Jane Mundy (Jun-3-08)
- PPH & Fen-Phen Lawsuit: "Can I Still Make a Claim?" By Jane Mundy (May-22-08)
- Fen-phen PPH: "I Was Scared to Death" By Gordon Gibb (May-17-08)
- PPH: "I Feel so Useless" By Jane Mundy (May-6-08)
- PPH Lawsuit: Ongoing By Jane Mundy (Apr-29-08)
- The Cost of PPH: $21,000 a Day... By Gordon Gibb (Apr-28-08)
- Diagnosis: Primary Pulmonary Hypertension (PPH) By Jane Mundy (Apr-15-08)
- PPH Class Action: Not Too Late By Jane Mundy (Apr-11-08)
- PPH: Regrets from taking Fen-Phen By Jane Mundy (Mar-27-08)
- PPH: Surprise Diagnosis By Jane Mundy (Mar-19-08)
- More PPH Victims Filing Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Mar-5-08)
- PPH Damaged Mitral Valve By Jane Mundy (Mar-4-08)