LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Excessive Overdraft Fee Legal News Articles & Interviews
July 29, 2020. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ California Excessive Bank Overdraft Fee Lawsuit Gets Second Wind ]
San Diego, CA For months, the law firms that represent banks and other big businesses have worried that the Ninth Circuit’s 2019 decision in Blair v. Rent-A-Center shows plaintiffs how to side-step mandatory arbitration provisions that include class action waivers. Defense counsel’s worst fear is realized in the motion for reconsideration filed in McGovern v. U.S. Bank, a California bank overdraft fees lawsuit.
July 9, 2020. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ TD Bank Hit with Excessive Bank Overdraft Fees Lawsuit ]
Camden, NJ On June 24, Judith Jimenez filed a class action bank overdraft fees lawsuit claiming that TD Bank, NA re-opened her checking account, which the bank had previously closed, for the express purpose of charging her an overdraft fee. Mission accomplished, the bank then closed her account again – all without her authorization. The lawsuit further claims that TD Bank had a routine practice of opening accounts in the names of consumers without lawful authority. If this sounds familiar, it should.
June 24, 2020. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ District of Columbia Sues Elevate Credit, Inc. ]
Washington, DC On June 5, Karl Racine, Attorney General for the District of Columbia filed a lawsuit against Elevate Credit Inc., alleging that Elevate charged loan interest rates on what are essentially internet payday loans in excess of the District’s usury limits. The interest rates of 149 to 251 percent associated with Elevate’s Rise and Elastic brand loans set a trap for low-income consumers similar to excessive bank overdraft fees many banks charge for “overdraft protection” on a checking account.
June 9, 2020. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Federal Court Sends Excessive Overdraft Fees Plaintiffs to Arbitration ]
Chicago, IL On May 18, the District Court for the Northern District of Illinois ruled that two of the three named plaintiffs in Page v. Alliant Credit Union could pursue their claims only through arbitration. This ends their participation in a class action bank overdraft fees lawsuit. The lawsuit alleges that Alliant charged insufficient funds fees even when there was enough money in their checking accounts. Unchallenged, the decision would seriously dim their chance of prevailing against the credit union.
May 29, 2020. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Excessive Overdraft Fee Lawsuits Hit the Heartland ]
Johnson County, IA In March 2020 Catherine Razavi filed a bank overdraft fees lawsuit against GreenState Credit Union. She alleges that the credit union charged her an overdraft fee even though there was enough money in her account and seeks class-action status for the lawsuit on behalf of similarly situated customers. Her story is symptomatic of a problem that extends far beyond the Iowa state line.
May 22, 2020. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Mandatory Arbitration Amendments Thwart Excessive Overdraft Fee Lawsuits ]
Washington, DC Even with a promising bank overdraft fees lawsuit, checking account consumers can find themselves suddenly, unexpectedly blocked by an obligation to arbitrate disputes with a bank or credit union. Consumers are often not even aware that they have signed these agreements. Under recent U.S. Supreme Court rulings, that can be the end of a class action lawsuit.
April 23, 2020. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Wells Fargo Fake Account Scandal Grinds On ]
Oakland, CA The Northern District of California has approved attorneys’ fees in the settlement of the latest lawsuit arising from the massive Wells Fargo fake account fraud. The scandal came to light in 2016 after account holders raised questions about mysterious bank overdraft fees that they were charged. The bank’s misconduct, however, may date back at least as far as 2002.
April 10, 2020. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Three litigation theories of excessive bank overdraft fee lawsuits ]
Ft. Lauderdale, FL When people come to talk to Jonathan Streisfeld, a KO partner, about excessive bank overdraft fees and returned item fees, “they feel frustrated with the number of fees assessed on what should be a small dollar transaction. They are confused about their bank’s practices.” More than anything, they just want their money back. The problem occurs with banks and credit unions alike.
April 2, 2020. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Overdraft Fees Waived During COVID-19 Pandemic ]
Washington, DC Some banks are pitching in during the COVID-19 pandemic by forgoing overdraft charges and other actions that can support consumers. Banks aren’t known for their philanthropy: In return financial institutions can earn credit toward their Community Reinvestment Act requirements (CRA).
March 12, 2020. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ First Saving Bank Hit with Excessive Overdraft Fee Lawsuit ]
Las Cruces, NM On January 14, Bonnie Becker, doing business as Oma’s Slice of Heaven, filed a class action lawsuit in New Mexico federal district court, claiming that First Savings Bank assessed bank overdraft fees even when the transactions in question did not overdraw the account.
- Bank of America Breached Customer Contracts, Charging Overdraft Fees on Non-Recurring Transactions By Anne Wallace (Feb-5-20)
- Target Red Card Lawsuit Poised to Settle for $8.2 Million By Anne Wallace (Jan-6-20)
- Defendant 'Grateful' for Credit Union Overdraft Fee Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Dec-13-19)
- Philadelphia Federal Credit Union Accused of “Gouging” Consumers with Multiple NSF Fees By Anne Wallace (Nov-11-19)
- United Federal Credit Union Settles Excessive Overdraft Fee Lawsuit for $1.75 Million By Anne Wallace (Oct-16-19)
- USAA Bank Forces Individual Arbitration of Excessive Overdraft Fee Claims By Anne Wallace (Sep-17-19)
- VyStar Credit Union Accused of Assessing NSF Fees Multiple Times for Same Transaction By Anne Wallace (Aug-8-19)
- Forced Arbitration Threatens Class Action Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuits By Anne Wallace (Jul-18-19)
- Georgia Court of Appeals Affirms Class Action Status for Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Jun-7-19)
- Online Lender Settles with FTC for $3.85 Million By Anne Wallace (May-8-19)
- $24.5 Million Settlement in Navy Federal Credit Union Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Apr-23-19)
- Cash Advance? There’s an App for That By Anne Wallace (Mar-25-19)
- Washington State Employees Credit Union Settles Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit for $2.99 Million By Anne Wallace (Feb-15-19)
- Credit Unions – A Case of Shutdown Shame? By Anne Wallace (Jan-24-19)
- Trustmark National Bank Latest Defendant in Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Dec-21-18)
- Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit against DFCU Survives Motion to Dismiss By Anne Wallace (Nov-23-18)
- Digital Federal Credit Union Snared in Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Oct-3-18)
- New California Class Action Lawsuit Targets Deceptive Bank Fees By Anne Wallace (Sep-11-18)
- CFPB Moves to Protect Students from Overdraft Fees By Anne Wallace (Aug-28-18)
- Landmark Credit Union Settles Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Aug-15-18)
- Time For Banks To Pay Up: Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuits Settled By Jane Mundy (Jul-27-18)
- Credit Union Lawsuit Cites Excessive Overdraft Fees By Anne Wallace (Jun-20-18)
- Death by Delay – CFPB Defers Credit Union Overdraft Regulations into Indefinite Future By Anne Wallace (May-22-18)
- MB Financial Facing Lawsuit re $6,000 in Overdraft Fees By Anne Wallace (Apr-30-18)
- Big Banks Don’t appear to be Getting the Message over Excessive Banking Fees By Gordon Gibb (Mar-19-18)
- It's Alive! Class Action Lawsuit against Capital One Bank is Back On By Anne Wallace (Feb-18-18)
- Despite Recent Settlements, Banks Still Bilking Consumers Out of Billions By Gordon Gibb (Jan-19-18)
- Overdraft Fees Chewing Up Consumers By Brenda Craig (Dec-29-17)
- Are Continuous Overdraft Fees Like Illegal Payday Loans? By Anne Wallace (Nov-25-17)
- Bank of America to Settle Excessive Fees Class Action for $66.6 Million By Gordon Gibb (Nov-10-17)
- It Just Got Harder to Sue Your Bank for Excessive Overdraft Fees By Anne Wallace (Oct-30-17)
- Wells Fargo Now Favors Arbitration in Long-Running Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Oct-16-17)
- Republican Lawmakers Want to Retract New Consumers Rights to Excessive Bank Fees Class Actions By Gordon Gibb (Aug-3-17)
- Study Finds Consumers Complain Most About Banks With Highest Overdraft Fee Revenue By Deb Hipp (Jul-19-17)
- Illinois Plaintiff Launches TCPA Robocall Lawsuit against Fifth Third Bank By Gordon Gibb (Jun-13-17)
- BOK Financial $7.8 Million Class Action Settlement Headed For Final Approval By Deb Hipp (May-11-17)
- Wells Fargo’s Pursuit of Arbitration a Waste of Resources: Plaintiffs By Gordon Gibb (Apr-24-17)
- Study Finds That People With Lowest Incomes Pay Most in Bank Overdraft Fees By Deb Hipp (Apr-11-17)
- New Report Shows 10 Banks Account for 67 Percent of Overdraft Fee Revenue By Deb Hipp (Feb-28-17)
- Wells Fargo Under Fire for Excessive Fees Again By Heidi Turner (Sep-14-16)