Legal News Articles - Employment
March 14, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Los Angeles, CA: A California unpaid wages lawsuit that was originally filed in August, 2014 at Los Angeles before removal a year later to the US District Court for the Central District of California, may settle for $2 million if an agreement on the part of all parties in the class action meet with Court and judicial approval.Read [ California Labor Lawsuit Expected to Settle for $2 Million ]
"Tarde para el almuerzo" explica las demandas laborales de California y un entorno de trabajo cambiante
March 7, 2018. By Fernando Marcano (Translation).
Los Angeles, CAEn los últimos años, un gran porcentaje de demandas laborales en California se han centrado en tiempo para comer y descansos. Por ejemplo, las demandas por tiempo extra han agregado causas de acción para las multas por el tiempo para comer y descanso.Read [ "Tarde para el almuerzo" explica las demandas laborales de California y un entorno de trabajo cambiante ]
March 5, 2018. By Fernando Marcano (Translation).
Oakland, CACuando Eva O'Brien le dijo a su jefe que estaba embarazada, se volvió loco. El grito, tiro papeles, hizo comentarios indebidos sobre su enorme barriga y la lactancia materna, luego estuvo muy cerca de preguntar si ella quería renunciar. Ella no lo hizo y las cosas empeoraron. Los empleados por hora con salarios más bajos se encuentran entre los más vulnerables y los menos propensos a entablar demandas. Incluso en respuesta a una conducta escandalosa. La ley de despido injustificado de California puede proteger a los trabajadores como Eva bajo la disposición de "despido injustificado en violación de la política pública". Pero estas demandas toman resistencia.Read [ Trabajadora embarazada gana la Demanda de Terminación Injusta en California ]
March 5, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Santa Clara, CA: Yet another California labor lawsuit has been filed against Google Inc. by a former software engineer who excelled at her work but, in the end felt victimized by an alleged workplace culture that objectified women. The search engine juggernaut already faces numerous lawsuits alleging discrimination and wrongful termination.Read [ Google Hit with Another California Wrongful Termination Lawsuit ]
February 28, 2018. By Fernando Marcano (Translation).
Palm Valley. CAUna demanda de salarios sin pagar en California ha sido lanzada en contra de un paisajista responsable de mantener los terrenos del Palm Valley Country Club ubicado en Palm Desert, las acusaciones incluyen infracciones salariales, así como trabajo fuera del horario laboral y declaraciones salariales impropias.Read [ Paisajista declara propuesta colectiva de salarios no remunerados en California ]
February 26, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Los Angeles, CA: A California unpaid wages lawsuit filed last fall is still pending, while a ruling by a US District Court Judge in a separate case over whether, or not a driver with GrubHub is an employee, or an independent contractor may be deemed moot by a pending decision by the California high court.Read [ Status as Employee v. Independent Contractor Impacts Wage and Hour Claims ]
February 22, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Los Angeles, CA: Actually, Jennie Lam's California labor lawsuit calls out the owners of the Los Angeles Beverly Hills Four Seasons Hotel for race discrimination, harassment, whistleblower retaliation, age discrimination, wrongful termination and intentional infliction of emotional distress. Beverly Cohen, one of the owners, seems to have been particularly given to racist comments. But requiring an employee to work without rest or meal breaks in a 100-degree heated greenhouse or to use dangerous tools without training is also pretty bad.Read [ Worker Claims Employment Discrimination Based on her Asian Heritage ]
February 16, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Los Angeles, CA: A California labor lawsuit alleging wrongful dismissal and defamation was quietly settled earlier this week at the 11th hour after a jury had awarded damages to the plaintiff, but had yet to settle on punitive damages. While having awarded punitive damages in the case on Tuesday February 13, 2018, the jury recessed for the day with plans to deliberate the amount of punitive damages once reconvened. Late in the night on February 13, the two parties reached a confidential settlement, ending the dispute.Read [ Plaintiff Settles with Bank of America Corp. NA at the Eleventh Hour ]
February 15, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Denver, CO: An ERISA lawsuit that had its beginnings in 2016 has been granted class action status in a certification that could benefit tens of thousands of class members. At issue are allegations that fiduciaries acting on behalf of defendant Oracle Corp. failed to uphold their fiduciary duties by investing in funds and other investments that failed to maintain the best interests of 401(k) Plan members and other investors, at heart.Read [ Plaintiffs Litigating ERISA Lawsuit v. Oracle Corp. Achieve Class Action Status ]
February 6, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Los Angeles, CA: Over the last few years, a great percentage of California labor lawsuits have focused on meal and rest breaks. For instance, overtime lawsuits have added causes of action for meal and rest break penalties.Read [ Late for Lunch Spells California Labor Lawsuits and a Shifting Work Environment ]
- How to Think Like a Plaintiff in a Unum Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Jan-24-18)
- Plaintiffs in Class Action ERISA Lawsuit Allege Breach of Fiduciary Duties By Gordon Gibb (Jan-23-18)
- Uber enfrenta demanda colectiva en California By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (Jan-19-18)
- Jungle Trux Drivers the Latest to Challenge Unpaid Meal and Rest Breaks By Lucy Campbell (Jan-16-18)
- Landscaper Employee Files Proposed California Unpaid Wages Class Action By Gordon Gibb (Jan-16-18)
- Road Outrage: California Truckers Denied Fair Wages and Benefits By Jane Mundy (Jan-10-18)
- Demanda colectiva contra Tesla por discriminación racial By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (Jan-8-18)
- Pregnant Worker Wins California Wrongful Termination Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Jan-6-18)
- Lots of Changes and Updates to California Labor Law with the New Year By Gordon Gibb (Jan-2-18)
- Conductor de Turno demanda a Starbucks por Robo de Salario By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (Dec-21-17)
- ¿Los Franquiciadores como McDonald's son responsables del robo de salarios? By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (Dec-11-17)
- Uber Hit with Proposed Class Action in California By Gordon Gibb (Dec-7-17)
- Can a Cabbie Collect Overtime? By Anne Wallace (Dec-4-17)
- How Unum LTD Denials Forced Statute Of Limitations Ruling Against Victim By Anne Wallace (Dec-1-17)
- ¿Con qué tanta frecuencia los trabajadores en California deben tener días de descanso? By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (Nov-29-17)
- Tesla Hit with Racial Discrimination Class Action Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Nov-29-17)
- Empleados de un Resort Vacacional de Lujo en California lanzan una demanda By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (Nov-21-17)
- California Startup Has Faced Three Class Action Lawsuits in its Young History By Gordon Gibb (Nov-20-17)
- Pacific Western Bank Shorted Workers OT Pay Lawsuit Alleges By Brenda Craig (Nov-16-17)
- Employees of Luxury California Resort Launch California Labor Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Nov-13-17)
- Phoenix Warehouse of California Hit with Overtime Pay Class Action Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Nov-6-17)
- California Unpaid Overtime Class Action Down, but Not Out By Gordon Gibb (Oct-29-17)
- Are Franchisors like McDonalds Accountable for Wage Theft? By Anne Wallace (Oct-24-17)
- California Workers Get Protection from Employer Retaliation By Brenda Craig (Oct-11-17)
- Nurses Seek Class Action in Overtime Pay Lawsuit against CareMeridian By Anne Wallace (Oct-5-17)
- California Class Action Labor Lawsuit Filed Against Marriott Subsidiary By Gordon Gibb (Oct-1-17)
- Safeway Inc. Faces Series of California Labor Code Trials By Brenda Craig (Sep-29-17)
- California Seeks $6.3 Million for Overtime Pay Law Violations By Anne Wallace (Sep-28-17)
- Facebook Slapped with Disability and Age Discrimination Lawsuit with Whistleblower Allegation By Brenda Craig (Sep-27-17)
- Google Accused of Violating California Equal Pay Act By Jane Mundy (Sep-22-17)
- $2.5 Million California Overtime Settlement Granted Preliminary Approval By Gordon Gibb (Sep-16-17)
- Former Oracle Sales Rep Pursues Class Arbitration By Gordon Gibb (Sep-12-17)
- Plaintiff in Overtime Pay Dispute with Nike Sticks to Her Guns By Gordon Gibb (Sep-11-17)
- On-Call Driver Sues Starbucks for Wage Theft By Anne Wallace (Sep-6-17)
- Los trabajadores de la comida rápida en California merecen horas extra By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (Sep-1-17)
- Acuerdos y demandas de tiempo extra, desde los terapeutas de salud de Pennsylvania a los cuidadores de California By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (Aug-31-17)
- Bag Search Plaintiffs Get Another Bite at Apple By Anne Wallace (Aug-30-17)
- Lawsuit Alleges Resort Chain Can’t Ask Potential Employees to Wave Liability on Background Checks By Brenda Craig (Aug-26-17)
- Farmworkers Another Step Toward California Overtime By Jane Mundy (Aug-25-17)
- Qualified Attorney Important for Florida Workers’ Compensation Claims By Gordon Gibb (Aug-25-17)