LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATIONDefective Products
Legal News Articles - Defective Products
November 23, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Monsanto has appealed a $78 million award to DeWayne Johnson, More Lawsuits Coming ]
San Francisco CA: School groundskeeper DeWayne Johnson was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2014 at the age of 42. He is the first cancer victim to take Monsanto (now owned by drug giant Bayer) to court. In August, Johnson was awarded $289 million but damages were later to reduced to $78 million. And the first out of more than 620 Monsanto cancer cases pending in federal litigation is set for February 2019, according to Reuters.
October 19, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Judge Upends $289 Million Monsanto Roundup Cancer Award ]
San Francisco, CA On October 11, 2018, San Francisco Superior Court Judge Suzanne Bolanos tentatively ruled that she would toss out the jury’s $250 million punitive damage award and schedule a new trial on that issue. The judge also suggested she may also drastically reduce the $39 million compensatory damage portion of the Monsanto glyphosate lawsuit award. The final ruling is due on October 22. The results of this trial are expected to have significant impact on the hundreds of Roundup cancer lawsuits now pending.
New Jersey Win for Johnson & Johnson and Los Angeles Mistrials in Asbestos –Mesothelioma Cancer Talc Trials
October 17, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ New Jersey Win for Johnson & Johnson and Los Angeles Mistrials in Asbestos –Mesothelioma Cancer Talc Trials ]
Los Angeles, CA Within two weeks of each other, two juries in California failed to reach a verdict on the same issues regarding asbestos-talc claims, resulting in two mistrials. Nine votes are needed for a verdict on claims that J&J was guilty of negligence, failure to warn about the risk of asbestos and marketing defective products. On Sept 24, the sixth J&J mesothelioma trial, the Los Angeles jury was deadlocked 8-4 against J&J – one juror short of victory for plaintiff Kirk Von Salzen. Bloomerg reported that Von Salzen, a retired computer salesman, had used J&J’s talcum powder for 30 years when he was diagnosed in 2017. He was seeking over $12m in damages. Despite the result, his attorney was “satisfied” that eight jurors ruled against J&J.
September 17, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Valsartan Recall Lawsuits Filed over Alleged Carcinogenic Contaminants ]
Washington, DC On August 27, 2018, the Food and Drug Administration published updated press information that expands its original July 17 valsartan recall notice. Sixteen companies have now announced voluntary recalls of blood pressure and heart medications.
September 10, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Talcum Cancer Lawsuit in California Based on Trust ]
Los Angeles, CA: In the sixth talcum powder-cancer trial that began last month in California, Johnson & Johnson is accused of knowing its talcum powder contained asbestos, a carcinogen known to cause mesothelioma. Plaintiff Carolyn Weirick last year was diagnosed with the rare form of terminal cancer. She claims her illness was caused by using J&J’s baby powder.
August 17, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Will the New Asbestos Regulation Put the Public at Risk? ]
Washington, DC: The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has enacted a new rule to purportedly strengthen oversight on asbestos: it will review applications for using asbestos in consumer products. But the agency’s critics and consumer groups argue that this rule makes it easier for asbestos to be used in consumer products, from construction materials to plastic bags.
August 8, 2018. By Lori Prapas.
Read [ Monsanto Glyphosate Lawsuit: Expert Testimony Deemed Credible Enough for Trial ]
San Francisco, CA Roundup Weed Killer has been used by homeowners, schools, gardeners, and farmers since its development in the 1970s. Its usage has increased exponentially since the 1990s when genetically modified organisms (GMOs) were developed that can survive heavy applications of Roundup, enabling farmers to kill all types of weeds but not the desired crops. In 2015, an arm of the World Health Organization (France-based International Agency for Research on Cancer “IARC”), designated glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup, as a probable human carcinogen. Thousands of Monsanto glyphosate lawsuits over alleged Roundup cancer followed. Now Plaintiffs have cleared a crucial hurdle. A judge has ruled that the preliminary opinions of three experts linking glyphosate and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma were not “junk science,” and should be permitted for a jury’s consideration.
July 30, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ J&J’s Talc Appeal – Lack of Scientific Evidence and Jurisdiction Argument ]
St. Louis, MO: Johnson & Johnson plans to appeal the $4.69 billion verdict awarded on July 12 to 22 women and their families who alleged that ovarian cancer cases was caused by asbestos in the company’s baby powder, and that J&J failed to warn that its talcum powder raised the risk of ovarian cancer. Experts say that J&J will argue the verdict based on insufficient scientific evidence and jurisdiction. And this asbestos-talc case is one of about 9,000 that J&J is facing.
July 24, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Bayer says it will no longer sell Essure in the U.S. due to decline in sales. Bayer doesn’t say, however, that its decision comes after the FDA threatened the drug giant with civil and criminal penalties if it didn’t warn patients about adverse Essure side effects.Read [ Essure’s Shelf Life in the US Soon to Expire ]
Asbestos Mesothelioma Passed from Father to Son, Guilty Verdict for Defendant Liberty Utilities (Park Water) Corp.
June 25, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Los Angeles, CA: A California jury recently awarded Alfred Mata and his wife $11.4 million in an asbestos lawsuit against Liberty Utilities (Park Water) Corp. Alfred developed mesothelioma from his father, who worked with water pipes that contained asbestos and brought the fibers home on his clothes.Read [ Asbestos Mesothelioma Passed from Father to Son, Guilty Verdict for Defendant Liberty Utilities (Park Water) Corp. ]
- Takata Airbag Recall Heating Up By Jane Mundy (Jun-19-18)
- US DOT: Your Car and Where You Live May Increase Defective Airbag Risk By Jane Mundy (May-25-18)
- Vehicle Owners with Defective Takata Airbags Urged to Get Replacement By Jane Mundy (Apr-28-18)
- “The Public Must Pressure Johnson & Johnson to List all their Talcum Powder Ingredients", says Attorney By Jane Mundy (Mar-31-18)
- Ethicon Physiomesh Bellwether Trials to Start in September, 2019 By Gordon Gibb (Mar-30-18)
- IVC Filter Trials: Cook Medical Bellwether Dismissed, Bard Bellwether, Cordis and Rex Medical Going Forward By Jane Mundy (Mar-27-18)
- The Curious Case of the Disappearing DePuy Damages By Anne Wallace (Mar-24-18)
- Plaintiff Blames Loss of his Lower Leg to Invokana Use By Gordon Gibb (Mar-21-18)
- New Evidence Reopens Scotts Turf Builder Mesothelioma Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Mar-20-18)
- Indiana Woman Wins $35 Million in Johnson & Johnson Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Mar-18-18)
- Defective Airbag Deaths and Injuries Continue By Gordon Gibb (Mar-17-18)
- Defective Hip Litigation Continues On against Zimmer, Smith & Nephew By Jane Mundy (Mar-12-18)
- Will Pennsylvania Supreme Court Hear Risperdal Time Bar Appeal? By Gordon Gibb (Mar-12-18)
- Last-Minute Maneuvering Underway Prior to Next Round of Xarelto Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (Mar-11-18)
- "Essure Problems" Women Bring FDA's Data to Meeting that FDA were Unaware Of By Jane Mundy (Mar-8-18)
- Georgia Plaintiff Alleges Use of Nexium Caused Chronic Kidney Disease By Gordon Gibb (Mar-4-18)
- Attorney is Hopeful Current Opioid Litigation will Pave the Way for Individual Opioid Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Mar-3-18)
- Takata Settles with 44 States. No Dough, Though By Anne Wallace (Mar-1-18)
- Deadly Onglyza Side Effects Set in Fast and Lawsuits Lumber On By Anne Wallace (Feb-25-18)
- Asbestos Mesothelioma Lawsuit Currently Underway in New Jersey By Gordon Gibb (Feb-20-18)
- Hernia Mesh a Helluva Mess By Jane Mundy (Feb-19-18)
- First Bard IVC Filter Bellwether Lawsuit Gearing Up for March By Gordon Gibb (Feb-18-18)
- Tentative Settlement Reached in Zimmer NexGen Knee-Implant MDL By Lucy Campbell (Feb-15-18)
- EPA Now Says Monsanto Roundup 'Likely' Does Not Cause Cancer, Debate Continues By Gordon Gibb (Feb-15-18)
- California Woman Slams J&J, Ethicon with 7-Count Physiomesh Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Feb-15-18)
- More Pressure to Withdraw Essure By Jane Mundy (Feb-14-18)
- Houston, We Have a Problem with DePuy ASR Hip Replacement By Jane Mundy (Feb-13-18)
- Takata Reaches Settlement Deal with Injured Drivers By Lucy Campbell (Feb-13-18)
- Xarelto Verdict for the Plaintiff Overturned in Bellwether Case By Gordon Gibb (Feb-11-18)
- The FDA Warning Letter RE: St. Jude ICD Batteries One Year Later By Gordon Gibb (Feb-10-18)
- Risperdal Patient "Never asked for Gynecomastia or Weight Gain" By Jane Mundy (Feb-9-18)
- Childhood Asthma Risk Linked to Mother’s PPI Use during Pregnancy By Anne Wallace (Feb-5-18)
- Social Worker and Mother in Recovery 30 years from Opioid Prescriptions, Son Died from Overdose By Jane Mundy (Feb-2-18)
- And Now There Are 21 Takata Airbag Deaths By Gordon Gibb (Feb-1-18)
- Stockert 3T Heater-Cooler Case Awaits Consolidation Decision By Brenda Craig (Jan-29-18)
- DePuy Faces Yet Another Lawsuit Concerning its Attune Knee Replacement System By Gordon Gibb (Jan-28-18)
- Onglyza Litigation Ramps Up By Jane Mundy (Jan-27-18)
- Tracking Systems in the U.K Key to Care for Hip Implant Patients, But Non-Existent in the U.S. By Jane Mundy (Jan-26-18)
- Lanzo Talcum Powder Mesothelioma Toxic Tort Trial Opens in New Jersey By Anne Wallace (Jan-22-18)
- Transvaginal Mesh Collateral Damage Too High for TVM Settlement By Jane Mundy (Jan-21-18)