LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION
Indiana Legal News Articles & Interviews
IVC Filter Trials: Cook Medical Bellwether Dismissed, Bard Bellwether, Cordis and Rex Medical Going Forward
March 27, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Indianapolis, IN: Since 2003, thousands of IVC Filters lawsuits have been filed nationwide. If you have an IVC Filter claim, however, file sooner than later: Cook Medical claims were dismissed in the current bellwether case because they were filed more than three years after the device was delivered. But thousands more cases are set for trial.Read [ IVC Filter Trials: Cook Medical Bellwether Dismissed, Bard Bellwether, Cordis and Rex Medical Going Forward ]
March 18, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Chicago, ILOn the advice of her doctor, Barbara Kaiser had Prolift pelvic mesh implanted in 2009 to treat her pelvic organ prolapse. She then began to suffer from low pelvic pain. It was only years later that she learned that this was likely a transvaginal mesh complication. Her doctor never told her about this and he, himself, claims to have not been aware of all of the risks, including the danger of severe and irreversible injury to his patients.Read [ Indiana Woman Wins $35 Million in Johnson & Johnson Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuit ]
January 27, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Miami, FL: Yesterday, The U.S. Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation (JPML) heard from Onglyza and Kombiglyze patients regarding whether to consolidate all federally-filed cases before one court for pre-trial proceedings.Read [ Onglyza Litigation Ramps Up ]
January 7, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
New Orleans, LA:With three federal bellwether cases having gone to the defendant and a fourth in state court favoring the plaintiff, the judge heading up the 18,500 consolidated cases in federal court has signaled he is looking for guidance from the various parties involved, with oral arguments on the docket for the end of the month following a status report. The Xarelto Lawsuit MDL is under the guidance and management of US District Judge Eldon Fallon in US District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana.Read [ Xarelto Bellwether Score is 3-1 for the Defendants: MDL to Map out Strategy ]
November 25, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Ocala, FL: A Florida premises liability lawsuit that stemmed from a slip and fall incident in 2011 came down to the weight of the evidence, together with the legal definition of the plaintiff as a visitor to the premises – an issue that had a bearing on the unsuccessful bid to have the finding of a lower court stayed, and a petition for a new trial denied.Read [ Florida Premises Liability Case Comes Down to Rule of Law ]
November 25, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
St. Louis, MO: Does a win by Cook Medical in a recent bellwether IVC filter lawsuit, together with the release of a study suggesting that IVC filter use is beginning to trend downwards after thirty years of growth, point to the beginning of a sea change for the inferior vena cava filter industry, and IVC filter patients?Read [ Study Suggests IVC Filter Use is on the Decline, But Problems Remain ]
October 18, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Indianapolis, IN: One of the manufacturers of inferior vena cava filters facing lawsuits is Cook Medical, the enterprise behind the Cook Celect line of IVC filters. The devices are placed into the inferior vena cava, the primary artery returning deoxygenated blood from the lower extremities up to the heart and lungs. The devices by Cook and other manufacturers have been known to fracture, or become dislodged and drift towards vital organs. Designed to be removed, they often can’t. One Cook Celect IVC filter lawsuit filed last April alleges negligence and a defective design.Read [ Cook Celect IVC Filters Approved Through FDA Fast Track Approval Process ]
October 9, 2017. By Anne Wallace.
Indianapolis, IN: On October 23, 2017, Hill v. Cook Medical, Inc., et al, 1:14-cv-6016 will go to trial in the US District Court for the Southern District of Indiana. This will be the first of three IVC filter lawsuits to be heard in the brewing multidistrict litigation (MDL) against Cook Medical, Inc. That MDL now includes approximately 1,900 individual lawsuits. Although the outcome of the Hill bellwether lawsuit will not be binding in the other cases, IVC filter patients and their attorneys are paying close attention. The outcome will affect the settlement value of similar cases.Read [ Cook Celect IVC Filter Lawsuit Goes to Trial ]
August 5, 2017. By Anne Wallace.
Washington, DC:Alicea et al v. DePuy Orthopaedics Inc. et al, the fourth bellwether defective hip implant lawsuit involving DePuy’s Pinnacle Ultamet implant will go to trial on September 5, 2017 in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas.Read [ Another DePuy Defective Hip Implant Lawsuit Heads to Trial ]
March 25, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Indianapolis, IN: At least two additional lawsuits with regard to allegedly defective IVC filters have been filed in the month of March against Cook Medical Inc., one of the primary manufacturers of the inferior vena cava filter along with competitors such as C.R. Bard. There are likely more, as presently in excess of 3,000 IVC filter lawsuits are consolidated in multidistrict litigation.Read [ Allegedly Defective IVC Filters Not a New Problem ]
- IVC Filters “Deadly Missiles” By Jane Mundy (Mar-15-17)
- Johnson & Johnson Faces Another Hip Replacement Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jan-20-17)
- Two hour Emergency Room Charge more than 7-star Hotel By Jane Mundy (Nov-7-16)
- IVC Filter Lawsuits Keep Filtering In By Gordon Gibb (Sep-26-16)
- Tough Talk from US District Judge for WEN Hair Loss Defendant By Gordon Gibb (Sep-19-16)
- “Don’t Mess with Testosterone,” says Propecia Victim By Jane Mundy (Sep-11-16)
- Zimmer Persona Knee Subjected to Yet another Recall in Early 2016 By Gordon Gibb (Aug-7-16)
- Insurance Companies Forcing Policyholders to File Lawsuits to Obtain Benefits By Heidi Turner (Jul-16-16)
- Disability Center Loses Funding Over Care Center Abuse By Heidi Turner (Feb-12-13)
- “I’m Filing an Avaulta TVM Lawsuit--Just in Case” By Jane Mundy (Sep-18-12)
- Zimmer Natural Knee Sometimes Not As Good As the Ad Says… By Gordon Gibb (Jul-19-12)
- Effects of Foodborne Illness Can Exist Long After Crisis Has Passed By Gordon Gibb (Apr-14-12)
- Maker of Metal-on-Metal Hip Replacement Faces $22.7 Million in Fines By Gordon Gibb (Mar-30-12)
- Will Widened Michael Foods Egg Recall Result in Foodborne Illness? By Gordon Gibb (Mar-11-12)
- Five Killed at Indiana State Fair By Jane Mundy (Aug-14-11)
- 14,158 lbs of Ground Beef Products Recalled By Lucy Campbell (Mar-9-11)
- Kroger Recalls Pet Food in 19 States By Gordon Gibb (Dec-20-10)
- Kroger Recalls Pet Foods Due to Possible Health Risk By Lucy Campbell (Dec-20-10)
- Indiana Man Found Dead with Fentanyl Patches in Pocket, Mouth By Charles Benson (Dec-18-10)
- Touch Point Oscillating Ceramic Heaters Recalled By Lucy Campbell (Nov-24-10)
- A Tale of Two Qui Tam Whistleblower Suits By Jane Mundy (Jul-13-10)
- Tri-Union Seafoods Recall 12-Ounce Solid White Tuna in Water By Lucy Campbell (Jul-1-10)
- Stevens Johnson Syndrome Almost Ruined the Prom By Jane Mundy (Jun-25-10)
- Inmate Suffering from Stevens Johnson Syndrome after Medicine Changed behind Bars By Gordon Gibb (Jun-19-10)
- "My Mother Committed Suicide after Taking Chantix" By Jane Mundy (May-27-10)
- IBM Faces off Against the State of Indiana in New IT Overtime Lawsuit By Charles Benson (May-21-10)
- Romaine Lettuce Products Recalled due to Possible E. Coli Contamination By Lucy Campbell (May-7-10)
- Critics Say Recall of DePuy Hip Replacement System Comes "Way Too Late" By Gordon Gibb (Apr-22-10)
- Fosamax ONJ Jaw Death Case Goes To Trial Mid-April By Gordon Gibb (Apr-10-10)
- Police Taser 10-Year-Old Boy By Gordon Gibb (Apr-3-10)
- Indiana Couple Blames Botox for Death of Daughter By Gordon Gibb (Mar-20-10)
- States See More Lawsuits over Yasmin Birth Control By Charles Benson (Mar-5-10)
- Could a Yasmin / Yaz Recall Be in the Offing? By Gordon Gibb (Feb-23-10)
- Groups Call Upon the EPA to Update Indiana's Environmental Law Policy on Clean Water By Charles Benson (Dec-26-09)